Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

My early firestarter and pilot died to suicide dfa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Captain Foo posted:

My early firestarter and pilot died to suicide dfa

my commander was double DFA'ed and took a cockpit hit. was out for 102 days

on one hand man that sucks wtf; on the other :black101:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Captain Foo posted:

Is there something i missed about bta artillery? Ballistas seem way way better than chapparals

Sniper arty actually hits what you aim at regularly which is nice. The Arrow IV has a bigger blast radius I think, but I agree, I definitely prefer the ballista.

On a similar note, what sort of mechs do people use for arty? What's your favorite long tom/thumper host in BTA?

Also how do you keep them alive when 75% of your drops are in knife fighting range of the enemy? Three drops in a row last night plopped my lance in the middle of three lances of clanners. The one thing I miss about RT is the ability to choose your landing because what sort of idiot would deploy on the corner of the map on a frozen lake three sprints from any sort of cover

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Azhais posted:

On a similar note, what sort of mechs do people use for arty? What's your favorite long tom/thumper host in BTA?

Also how do you keep them alive when 75% of your drops are in knife fighting range of the enemy?

1) Omega with twinned Long Toms

2) It's an Omega

(use shaped charge ammo)

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I always just use my tanks for artillery in BTA. Mechs carrying arty aren't really noticeably more effective than tanks carrying arty, whereas direct combat mechs are way more effective than direct combat tanks, so I'd rather spend my mech slots on direct combat and leave the fire support to my tank slots.

If you're really dedicated to mech-based arty, I find the most cost effective pieces are 55t chassis carrying a single sniper or 95-100t chassis carrying dual snipers. There's not much you can do to really optimize an artillery mech besides tweaking the ammo mix and slapping a TCS on there. The most important thing is to never skimp on armor despite it being an "artillery" mech - you will get hotdropped at some point and you'll be thankful you maxed the armor on your dual sniper king crab instead of cramming an extra couple tons of ammo in there.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 10, 2023

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Kanos posted:

The most important thing is to never skimp on armor despite it being an "artillery" mech - you will get hotdropped at some point and you'll be thankful you maxed the armor on your dual sniper king crab instead of cramming an extra couple tons of ammo in there.

BTA opfor will also go out of its way to focus fire your lowest evasion mech even if you hide it behind a hill so everything has to be able to tank shots

actually this ends up being a challenging factor if you decide to bring a mixed lance of lights and assaults -- your lil guys are running around at 9 EVA so the enemy will just lay into your poor King Crab. This is more on flashpoints than full drops tho

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
all that happens with my 9 evasion guys is some jackass in a mist lynx sprints 73 tiles through a forest to drop battle armor on it since swarming isn't blocked by evasion in any way

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Azhais posted:

all that happens with my 9 evasion guys is some jackass in a mist lynx sprints 73 tiles through a forest to drop battle armor on it since swarming isn't blocked by evasion in any way

my 9 EVA guys get DFAed by assaults and the DFA never, ever, ever misses

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

I had a helepolis with a pair of sniper arty once, it was a good time

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Pattonesque posted:

my 9 EVA guys get DFAed by assaults and the DFA never, ever, ever misses

man gently caress it, i put in a request for them to tone it down a bit, it's real dogshit when you're like "oh I got one hex too close to a MADII and it decided to kill itself to ensure that one of my mechs would also die"

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

my campaign has fizzled out not because it's going poorly but because I have a full C3i lance that can dunk on pretty much everything that isn't hot dropped reinforcements behind me starting turn with the regular opponent within los in front of me

I might pick it up if only to shove a bit more clan tech into the lance for comedy sake. my early fire starter with a support weapon tactics pilot pretty much ran a train the whole game. 6x ERSL with +33% range is basically shooting medium lasers while getting 8 pips

When I got so powerful that I was basically invincible in MW5, I used my vast fortune to build ridiculous mechs with completely impractical loadouts like 80 LRMs and nothing else. It was pretty great even though I still won easily.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I'm experimenting with melee bots now. The Fox is nice (Clan Endo-steel but no Clanner melee penalty.) The Leaper (new Sanctuary Mech) is also a good DFA Mech, with the partial wing.

I've got a Huron Warrior that's roided up with punch actuators and TSM. My only complaint is that it can only run one hand actuator.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
The next big BTA 3062 patch is out 16.0.
https://www.bta3062.com/index.php?title=Patch_Notes

It comes with a big update to the MechLab.
See video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVT4Xi8N0Jk

Tons of new mechs, weapons etc. LAMs got a bit of love as well.

Most important, the patch does not break savegames!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Honestly if BTA had manual deployment I'd never play anything else. RT has too many options for my level of focus, but god do I get sick of the dead pool Darius and Sumire seem to have going

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lagidnam posted:

See video here:

Awww yisss

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
MW5 keeps crashing during the credits, lol.

Do you get to keep playing post main story line? Or shall I restart with a bunch of mods?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

tactlessbastard posted:

MW5 keeps crashing during the credits, lol.

Do you get to keep playing post main story line? Or shall I restart with a bunch of mods?

Never not use mods

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Is that the "Let's put some tits on this mole rat" of Battletech?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lagidnam posted:

See video here:

this doesn't break saves, but there are some mech-breaking changes that you'll have to change out gear to fix.

apollo and artemis fcs have been deleted, and now they're attachments per weapon...but also buffed to ignore some eva pips

ppc capacitor works similarly, +25H/+25D

TTS have been removed in favor of weapon-class attachments

weapon tab filters have been updated along with some weapon type resorting

artillery hardpoints and artillery typed weapons, no longer ballistic or missile. mortars are still ballistics

Bombs are now their own thing; LAMs have bomb hardpoints; LAMs are scattered across the galaxy out of just rasalhauge

omni hardpoints have been changed to be a lot clearer, and you can put artillery on omni hardpoints

melee hardpoints exist and are primarily visual?

BA have their own hardpoint types; this nerfs Knife Fighter

QUADS: all special actuators have been depreciated so you can just pull them off

omni lower arm and omni hand actuators have been changed to regular actuators, you will have to store and re-ready the mech in order to fix it if they're fixed actuators

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I was ready to be angry, but they gave the Monster artillery hardpoints.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Hmmm- can't use battle armor. All designs illegal, try to restore to stock and it says you have to strip equipment first, do that and it says not enough heat sinks.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

GD_American posted:

Hmmm- can't use battle armor. All designs illegal, try to restore to stock and it says you have to strip equipment first, do that and it says not enough heat sinks.

store them and then ready them again

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

There's also been a few hotfixes already, but yeah you have to store/restore BA to get a valid config.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Can't store if it has damage. Can't fix it since it won't let you verify repairs (b/c missing heat sinks).

Hell, I've got a ton of Elemental suits. Might just sell them off and move on.

I'd really miss the one Golem suit I have damaged though.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Mission briefing: "We're getting a number of reports of a powerful 'Mech operating in the area."

It's a Cicada.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

McGavin posted:

Mission briefing: "We're getting a number of reports of a powerful 'Mech operating in the area."

It's a Cicada.

At least it wasn't a tank.

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012
Good old Trap Sprung. As a difficulty 2 contract, it rarely spawns anything strong (mediums are typical in a hard career, although sometimes it's a Quickdraw, Rifleman or the like). It can go the other way, too: I've had a Flea as the bait mech.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

McGavin posted:

It's a Cicada.

It's just a bunch of civilians from a backwater world going "THERE'S A HUGE MECH AROUND HERE!" and Darius taking their word at face value :v:

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Falcorum posted:

It's just a bunch of civilians from a backwater world going "THERE'S A HUGE MECH AROUND HERE!" and Darius taking their word at face value :v:

The mech was 6 tractors tall!

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

Hey, give them some benefit of the doubt, they might have thought it was a Jenner!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It was Bogdan in a suit of armor

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Of all the little bits of fluff in game books, I think my favorite ever was a commander complaining about how he had a well-trained infantry unit armed with the latest in anti-armor weaponry, in a perfect positioning, well dug-in, and then they kept hearing the louder and louder thuds of a BattleMech headed their way, and they eventually broke and ran, and the city was conquered by a single Locust from the Davion National Constabulary

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

GD_American posted:

Of all the little bits of fluff in game books, I think my favorite ever was a commander complaining about how he had a well-trained infantry unit armed with the latest in anti-armor weaponry, in a perfect positioning, well dug-in, and then they kept hearing the louder and louder thuds of a BattleMech headed their way, and they eventually broke and ran, and the city was conquered by a single Locust from the Davion National Constabulary

:hmmyes:

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
yeah the average person rarely sees a mech. if they do it's usually in the context of "welp we're hosed"

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

GD_American posted:

I mean honestly every time you see infantry in like, PTN's let's play they always get completely ravaged even if they're used well so I can't blame them for not wanting to die horribly

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

GD_American posted:

I'd probably loving book it too, given that even a 20 tonner with a couple of machine guns can kill several platoons of infantry without breaking a sweat if the infantry can't pop it immediately from ambush.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Do they not have ATGMs in battletech?

Like an abrams tank is 65 tonnes and you can still blow it up with a single missile.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Apr 16, 2023

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

OwlFancier posted:

Imagine getting hit by a single srm but much tinier and we all lol when we see the Assassin roll up with its SRM2

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Did something happen in-setting to make armour technology improve wildly ahead of everything else then? Because as a rule you would expect it to be easier to build missiles to blow things up than to protect the things from being blown up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

There's infantry portable SRMs that are roughly as effective as mech launched SRMs. A couple of platoons of SRM infantry is roughly equivalent to like an SRM 12 to 18, which can hurt a mech really bad if it all connects and groups well but if the 'mech has anti-infantry weapons loaded like MGs/flamers those infantry are going to evaporate if it can shoot back.

OwlFancier posted:

Did something happen in-setting to make armour technology improve wildly ahead of everything else then? Because as a rule you would expect it to be easier to build missiles to blow things up than to protect the things from being blown up.

This is basically the setting conceit, yes, given that 'mechs can unload gauss rifle shots, directed energy weapons, and enormous walls of missiles into each other and remain upright and functional.