Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

James Garfield posted:

"liberals will rehabilitate Bush" is just imaginary. I am not sure I have heard someone who would self describe as a liberal bring up George W Bush even once since Trump was elected, except in the context of "was Trump or Bush worse" (I don't think that question has a clear answer)

You must have forgotten the whole thing with Michelle Obama and the very embarassing media campaign around it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You must have forgotten the whole thing with Michelle Obama and the very embarassing media campaign around it.

Yeah or he is intentionally gaslighting.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

James Garfield posted:

"liberals will rehabilitate Bush" is just imaginary. I am not sure I have heard someone who would self describe as a liberal bring up George W Bush even once since Trump was elected, except in the context of "was Trump or Bush worse" (I don't think that question has a clear answer)

You’re rehabilitating Bush’s image by suggesting he is no worse than Donald J Trump.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

pencilhands posted:

And let’s not forget the Willie Horton ad or Hurricane Katrina. Liberals care about surface appearances and nothing else.

What are you trying to say here?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Perhaps we can avoid the "liberals liberals liberals" chat this morning, please?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

BiggerBoat posted:

:words:

Every 4 years, in the richest and most powerful nation in the world, these are the best and brightest we can offer?

They are the ones a system set up by the capital class to ensure the interests of the capital class are protected above all else produces. That said, holding my nose and voting for Biden is something I will do come November 2024 because the alternative is people who actively want other humans who don't look or act like them to suffer and die. I will also work tirelessly at the local level during primary season to try to make it so candidates I don't have to hold my nose to vote for get on the ballot, because there is where there is a decent chance of success. And who knows, maybe in 20 years one of them will sneak into higher office.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

He followed them out to their car and went right up to them, so they maced him, and he panicked and pulled his gun and immediately started shooting

The idea that anyone who is an aggressor in any situation can claim self defense is asinine. gently caress gun owners and open carrying.

And yes, the perverse incentive created by self defense laws is to shoot everyone immediately. If they are dead they can't claim you were the actual aggressor.

E: also the guy is claiming he shot in self defense because he didn't know if they were armed. That's insane. At least cops have to pretend to claim they thought they saw a gun or were in danger.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Apr 16, 2023

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Or when George "I think gay people should be illegal" Bush was palling around at the baseball game with his very good friend Ellen.

Ravenfood posted:

The idea that anyone who is an aggressor in any situation can claim self defense is asinine. gently caress gun owners and open carrying.

And yes, the perverse incentive created by self defense laws is to shoot everyone immediately. If they are dead they can't claim you were the actual aggressor.

E: also the guy is claiming he shot in self defense because he didn't know if they were armed. That's insane. At least cops have to pretend to claim they thought they saw a gun or were in danger.

poo poo, that's been the MO at least since Trayvon Martin was murdered.
Start a fight you were explicitly told not to start, murder the person when you start getting your rear end kicked, claim self defense even though you were the instigator, and then get off scot-free because the prosecutor is a loving moron too focused on trying to hammer home a clever narrative that sounds nice and historical instead of winning the case with the mountains of available evidence.

See also: Kyle Rittenhouse or whatever that shitbag's last name was.

the_steve fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Apr 16, 2023

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ravenfood posted:

This is similar to how George Zimmerman was able to claim self defense/stand your ground despite being the aggressor in the situation that led to him murdering Trayvon Martin

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Ravenfood posted:

Obviously anecdotal, but I was on a grand jury for 6 months and the number of people we indicted for that exact scenario was honestly kind of awful. Made me feel a little better about video cameras being literally everywhere, as without evidence even if the person survives it's just he said/she said.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

GoutPatrol posted:

Perhaps we can avoid the "liberals liberals liberals" chat this morning, please?

Okay. Sorry.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
https://twitter.com/SenMarkey/status/1646984857715654656
Biden climate policy continuing to go great! The Alaska LNG project is separate from the previously-approved North Slope project. It is aimed at exporting LNG, mainly to Asia. This will allow the construction of natural gas liquefaction facilities, a pipeline, and a LNG export terminal.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Hits keep coming for thomas. Gotta wonder if this is coordinated for some reason or it’s just reporters finally smelling blood.

https://twitter.com/sifill_/status/1647612254026620928?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

quote:

Over the last two decades, Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas has reported on required financial disclosure forms that his family received rental income totaling hundreds of thousands of dollars from a firm called Ginger, Ltd., Partnership.

But that company — a Nebraska real estate firm launched in the 1980s by his wife and her relatives — has not existed since 2006.

quote:

Thomas’s income from the firm he describes as “Ginger, Ltd., Partnership” on the financial disclosure forms has grown substantially over the last decade, though the precise amounts are unknown because the forms require only that ranges be reported. In total, he has reported receiving between $270,000 to $750,000 from the firm since 2006, describing it as “rent.” Thomas’s salary as a justice this year is $285,000.
The company’s roots trace back to two lakeside neighborhoods developed decades ago by Ginni Thomas’s late parents in a community in Douglas County, just outside of Omaha.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
I know that right now the focus is on Thomas, but could this end up causing an investigation into all current sitting justices as well to make sure they're complaint?

Like, could Thomas have just hosed up the "good thing" the other justices had going?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Velocity Raptor posted:

I know that right now the focus is on Thomas, but could this end up causing an investigation into all current sitting justices as well to make sure they're complaint?

Like, could Thomas have just hosed up the "good thing" the other justices had going?

If that’s the case then Kavanaugh is gonna start hitting the throttle on something a little stronger than beer.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

FizFashizzle posted:

If that’s the case then Kavanaugh is gonna start hitting the throttle on something a little stronger than beer.

He's probably too busy doing keg stands to be focused on coming up with fraudulent schemes. However, if people start looking into drinking on the job, it might become an issue for him...

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Remember how Kavanaugh very clearly was laundering bribes through Washington nationals tickets and everyone was just kinda like “meh.”

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009
So how many more scandals until the Dems even THINK about mentioning throwing out an SC Justice? Maybe good ol' Thomas there can make a few more million before he 'retires for family reasons'. How the gently caress do people have any faith in our govt, when such corrupt officials continue to exist in their seats of power?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Dull Fork posted:

So how many more scandals until the Dems even THINK about mentioning throwing out an SC Justice? Maybe good ol' Thomas there can make a few more million before he 'retires for family reasons'. How the gently caress do people have any faith in our govt, when such corrupt officials continue to exist in their seats of power?

All the people with oversight powers are frantically pretending they don't have oversight powers, so I don't think it's gonna happen.

https://twitter.com/whstancil/status/1646607583678025750

https://twitter.com/whstancil/status/1647227737516527619

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

FizFashizzle posted:

Remember how Kavanaugh very clearly was laundering bribes through Washington nationals tickets and everyone was just kinda like “meh.”

Hah, I actually missed that. I guess sports-related fraudulent schemes would seem up his alley.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
You need a majority vote in the house to impeach Clarence Thomas

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

James Garfield posted:

Sure but you only need one committee chair to say "let's do an investigation"

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

James Garfield posted:

really? i assume that doesn't include removal?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Velocity Raptor posted:

Who's going to stop them? They only actual limit is being so egregiously corrupt that they're successfully impeached. That's something that's never happened, though one did get the Clinton/Trump treatment back when Thomas Jefferson was President. Then there's the judge who got charges entered into the House, but they didn't pass, for giving a quick stay of execution to the Rosenbergs. Abe Fortas also pulled a full Nixon, resigning before he could be impeached.

So, you've got to be more ridiculously corrupt than a guy who went full Nixon in order to get Impeached from the Supreme Court.

Kavros posted:

Judicial impeachment runs on the same rules as Presidential impeachment, except the President Pro Temp presides over the proceeding instead of the Chief Justice.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Kavros posted:

Senate votes for removal and that's a 2/3rds vote.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Thomas absolutely should be investigated and made to answer for his horseshit, but there's literally nothing Democrats can do to actually punish him in any meaningful way because they'd have to scrounge up 66 or 67 votes in the Senate (never mind the much-easier-but-still-deeply-unlikely majority vote they'd need in the House) to impeach him.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Velocity Raptor posted:

Depends.

If it's an investigation or report about a Bush or Trump appointed judge, it's a fake news media witch hunt. And in Thomas' case, a perfect example to claim hypocritical racism. If it's a look into Sotomayor or Kagan, then it's a huge scandal connected to Hunter Biden's laptop, China, Venezuela and one Soros, George along with a huge story that The Media isn't talking about.

If any Jan 6th/fake election fraud issues reach the Supreme Court, Thomas should recuse himself because of Ginny but we know he won't.

I don't know what kind of gifts perks bribes other justices receive but any and all of them should knock that poo poo off. Except, what do you do? Appeal it to the Super Turbo Supreme Court? SCOTUS is the final line in the sand and, short of impeachment (which we already know how that might go), there's really not much you can do I don't think.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The sad reality is that, for all the talk about "checks and balances", there is practically nothing that can be done about a blatantly corrupt supreme court justice, especially when one of two parties is fully committed to ignoring it if it suits their purposes. Just add it to the pile of reasons why our system of government is fundamentally and deliberately designed to protect the rich and powerful and must be broken down and rebuilt from the ground up.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

brugroffil posted:

You can also be charged with felony murder if one of your co criminals is killed

And the cops are well aware of this and like to make this happen.

You also get situations like this where a fugitive gets charged for murder for a cocriminal's self-harm: https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/13/us/casey-white-charges-vicky-white/index.html

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

Except, what do you do? Appeal it to the Super Turbo Supreme Court? SCOTUS is the final line in the sand and, short of impeachment (which we already know how that might go), there's really not much you can do I don't think.

You hope that people like Nicholas John Roske are a little more successful. You use your freedom of speech to encourage, condone, and otherwise make it so the next Roske doesn't turn himself in seconds before doing the act.

If our supreme court is so corrupt and ungovernable that we cannot remove a blatantly corrupt justice, gently caress em, why should they get to live with their ill-gotten wealth?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Here's a crazy idea, instead of trying to impeach Thomas, why not, you know, just arrest him for his crimes? Let him remain a justice from prison who gives a gently caress. In fact, let them all keep their lifetime appointments, let me know how voting on fascist cases goes from prison.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

WebDO posted:

Here's a crazy idea, instead of trying to impeach Thomas, why not, you know, just arrest him for his crimes? Let him remain a justice from prison who gives a gently caress. In fact, let them all keep their lifetime appointments, let me know how voting on fascist cases goes from prison.

Isn't the standard for losing judicial immunity, like, crazy high?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

WebDO posted:

Arrest him using who exactly and which judicial arm?

Plus I even doubt that what he's doing would be considered an arrestable offense to be honest. It's more of an ethics violation than a straight up crime, at least from what I know about what's going on. The person giving him gifts doesn't, as far as I know, have any impending cases in front of Thomas' court or anything like that but I may be wrong.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Ravenfood posted:

To be fair, since Tennessee has a fetal personhood/heartbeat-law, he can probably legitimately claim that he was outnumbered two-to-one.

:suicide:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Timby posted:

Isn't the standard for losing judicial immunity, like, crazy high?

You know how insane the level of qualified immunity are for cops who commit unconscionable acts are? Now imagine if they didn't really have the opportunity to beat the poo poo out of people in the course of their job. So, yeah, judicial immunity is also extremely wide reaching.

Recently a West Virginia judge actually got denied their claims of judicial immunity when they took a court field trip. She ordered, without a warrant, a man to let the judge, her bailiffs, and sundry court officers into his house. When the man objected she threatened him with contempt and arrest. She also realized he was filming her actions and ordered him to not do so. Then, since it was a divorce proceeding, she told the ex-wife to wander around and just take whatever property she felt was hers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS-MIdnwWPg

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Lmao at liberals counting on Thomas being impeached and replaced. It’s not happening.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

Plus I even doubt that what he's doing would be considered an arrestable offense to be honest. It's more of an ethics violation than a straight up crime, at least from what I know about what's going on. The person giving him gifts doesn't, as far as I know, have any impending cases in front of Thomas' court or anything like that but I may be wrong.

Never directly, but several conservative leaning groups that crow has connections to.

quote:

Crow served on CCI’s board alongside failed Bush judicial nominee Miguel Estrada. Westlaw’s database of Supreme Court briefs reveals eight briefs filed by CCI in eight different Supreme Court cases, and Justice Thomas voted for CCI’s preferred outcome in every single one of these cases

https://archive.thinkprogress.org/second-harlan-crow-connected-group-has-a-perfect-litigation-record-before-justice-thomas-1aaf50c21db8/

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

I would think that lying for years on your taxes about hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars in income must be a criminal offense?

What's judicial immunity? Are SC Justices supposed to not be able to be charged or prosecuted for a crime? They can just go around shooting people? What?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
One thing that Congress hasn't tried is to just restrict what the Supreme Court can hear, I know it was floated around during marriage equity to pass it and put a provision that the Supreme Court cannot hear any cases around marriage equity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Judicial immunity only applies to actions from the bench. It's difficult for me to come up with a hypothetical where that would protect against fraud-type charges. I'm not clear on which particular laws Thomas has violated - skimming coverage, it looks like his currently known violations are all failing to report (and/or possibly receiving above market value on) various things under transparency laws. I'm not seeing anything about tax fraud, it's entirely possible that like a slightly smarter criminal he ignored judicial oversight but reported his income accurately to the taxman.