Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

PinheadSlim posted:

Alright but one more, during my first year in highschool some other kid made fun of me for wanting to be a writer. He said that was unrealistic, so I asked him what he intended to do for a living.

Major League Baseball player

Well, don't keep me in suspense. What team does he play for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiju15
Jul 25, 2013

AITA for walking away from my sister’s wedding and ruining her reception?

quote:

I (26F) have two sisters, “Shirley” who is 28, and “Mary” who is 21. Shirley’s getting married, and her naturally bossy and controlling nature has caused few dramas in all the months of planning.

At the beginning Shirley had six bridesmaids (me, Mary, three friends and her SIL). Friend1 walked away because Shirley wanted us to contribute 300$ each for the bachelorette. And a few weeks later, her SIL walked away because Shirley wanted the two blondes of the group (her and Mary) to go brunette so that we could all match. All of this stress has caused Shirley to act even more controlling and snappy, especially to our little sister, a very passive person who has always sought her approval. Mary changed her hair colour, lost three kilos, agreed to look after the guest’s children during part of the reception, and got a week off work to help her prepare everything, all because Shirley wanted her to.

Finally the big day came yesterday and Shirley was yelling at everyone during hair and make-up. At some point she caught Mary eating and made a rude comment about that being the reason why she still looks fat in the dress (I must add that Shirley got her a dress two sizes smaller than everyone else's), I bit my tongue and tried to understand that she was just under a lot of stress and not to ruin her one special day. I took Mary and went to do our makeup in another room until our sister calmed down, which caused some drama but Shirley got over it quickly.

The biggest drama happened during the reception. Mary thought she was supposed to watch the children during the speeches, cutting the cake, and first dances to make sure no child ruined the footage of those moments. But before any of that could happen, I found Shirley yelling in Mary's face in the back of the venue. Apparently, there was some essential footage Shirley wanted to get at the beginning of the ceremony, and it was now ruined because Mary was somewhere else. I intervened, Shirley started yelling at me, and I yelled back. She said we were ruining her wedding, and I told her that we would do better on her next one. Eventually, Mary (who had had a few drinks) threw up from the stress.

Needless to say, Shirley got even angrier. I could take the yelling, but when she grabbed Mary’s arm, I reached my breaking point and finally walked out, taking Mary with me.

We missed about 70% of the reception, leaving Shirley without a maid of honour's speech and without babysitting. Word got around, and some people told me that everyone was talking about it and speculating what happened. Mary didn’t want to leave, and she is feeling really bad that Shirley is not talking to us yet. Now, I'm wondering if I should have just sucked it up for a few more hours instead of ruining her special day. We are all really close, and I don't know if it was worth damaging our relationship for a bit of an attitude. But I couldn’t stand to see Mary treated so poorly by someone she looks up to so much.

So, reddit, AITA?

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

PinheadSlim posted:

Alright but one more, during my first year in highschool some other kid made fun of me for wanting to be a writer. He said that was unrealistic, so I asked him what he intended to do for a living.

Major League Baseball player

I wanted to be an actor, but I realised at 16 ish that I wasn’t pretty enough to get any work, so I became a high school dropout, then a broadcast tech, then a brewer with a couple of weird side jobs along the way. I was good at theatre, but female and fairly plain lookin. In the long run I’m glad I realised that early on, and that I have weird niche skills now due to needing to be part of creating experiences for other people. I have very little time now for community theatre actor types with egos too big for their talent.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for telling my friend she was uninvited from my birthday dinner if she didn’t pick out a different outfit

quote:

I’m (17f) having a dinner for my 18th birthday. There will be a photographer there so I wanted everyone to be presentable. So I had all my friends send me pictures of what they plan on wearing. One of my friends sent me pictures of an ugly dress that she picked out, and a pair of heels that literately didn’t match.

I didn’t tell her that I thought it was ugly right away, I just told her that she should have a couple more options just incase she changes her mind. That was still what she wanted to wear. Then I was honest and told her the dress was ugly, and I didn’t want her wearing that to my dinner.

She said she liked it and she was wearing it anyways so I needed to get over it. So I told her if she didn’t pick out a different outfit she was uninvited from my dinner. Now she’s mad at me, she says I’m not the one wearing it so I shouldn’t care and I shouldn’t be trying to control what people wear.

I get where she’s coming from but to be fair it’s my birthday dinner, and I want everyone to look nice and presentable. AITA?

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

there is one reply from manbaby Ruth that did make me snort a laugh

quote:

He’s new this year and all of my stats and playing time have gone down and he’s to blame and no one sees my side because all they care about is we are winning more games but those of us with futures are paying the price.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

MisterOblivious posted:

I'm sure parking that bus at the other restaurant, rather than at the hotel they're staying at next door to the Olive Garden, is something that "superstar" took into consideration.

Anyways, we've probably talked about this fake-post enough. The highest MLB salary is in the $40 million range and the troll-post said he expects to make $80 million.

Yes the most unrealistic part is the high school kid with delusions of grandeur didn’t meticulously research MLB salaries

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

guessing that for top players with sponsorships, transfer deals and shady backhanders it could go up to that for like the top 1% of players

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

AceClown posted:

Kid's about to get a hard lesson in the Wins Above Replacement stat.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe

AceClown posted:

Manbaby Ruth is a fantastic insult. AND would make a great user name.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
re: Foodie kid, I am actually torn. I am neurotic as it gets and was even more so in my youth. I still prefer a mediocre authentic experience to a tasty chain restaurant. And when I was in high school the middle class, upper class students would drive quite far during lunch to pick up food from non-chain places.

On the other hand I want to see guy get his way and then lose his mind when the "authentic Italian joint" gives him carbonara with cream.

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for telling my friend she was uninvited from my birthday dinner if she didn’t pick out a different outfit

Okay so this was funny but with the spoiler would it be less or more expected if the OP were older? Sounds just as ridiculous any age above 14, maybe 15.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That's some right Fashion Club bullshit.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Okay, so that’s the one you’re wearing to the clown funeral, what about my birthday dinner?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Okay, so that’s the one you’re wearing to the clown funeral, what about my birthday dinner?

Keep up that attitude and I'll have another clown funeral to attend.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

AceClown posted:

Lmfao

I'm being put in less and we're winning more!

you're so close kid, connect the dots you dumb foodie gently caress

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Bright Bart posted:

re: Foodie kid, I am actually torn. I am neurotic as it gets and was even more so in my youth. I still prefer a mediocre authentic experience to a tasty chain restaurant. And when I was in high school the middle class, upper class students would drive quite far during lunch to pick up food from non-chain places.

On the other hand I want to see guy get his way and then lose his mind when the "authentic Italian joint" gives him carbonara with cream.

He has a point buried in there about the restaurant, if it was him and a friend or whatever they probably should have driven the extra 10 minutes. But throw in the complication of a couple dozen extra people and logistics becomes more of a question. Just loading and unloading the bus an extra time is an imposition. And the "boxed frozen dinners" he's complaining at Olive Garden are the reason they can serve a baseball team of people, while the fancy place is going to be getting appetizers out to the tail end of the group while the first few are plowing into dessert. If they can seat them in the first place. I'll hate on strip mall chain restaurants as much as anyone but you can't knock their effectiveness at feeding a bus full of people on a budget.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

AceClown posted:

I'm willing to bet the guy is actually really good but is such a toxic moron that he limited himself to a JC team because no one else wanted to take a chance on him. He is just gonna end up some fat bitter moron who spends his time bitching about how he could have had his chance but his team or his coach sucked too much

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for not serving my husband leftovers.

There's a reason characters like Don Draper on Mad Men are considered attractive.

I mean, they're depressed, chain-smoking, philandering alcoholics who will cheat on you repeatedly and try to enforce rigid gender roles.

But they do go to work, pay the bills, take you nice places occasionally, and will NEVER subject you to a conversation about Funko Pops.

Trading this guy in for nothing will be an improvement.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

blackmet posted:

There's a reason characters like Don Draper on Mad Men are considered attractive.

I mean, they're depressed, chain-smoking, philandering alcoholics who will cheat on you repeatedly and try to enforce rigid gender roles.

But they do go to work, pay the bills, take you nice places occasionally, and will NEVER subject you to a conversation about Funko Pops.

Headache-inducing smell, dick that sprays STDs everywhere, refuses to use condoms. No thanks.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

blackmet posted:

The funny thing is on Mad Men, the cheating was almost expected by some of the wives as just one of those things.

AITA for taking the vegetables of my kid's burgers?

quote:

I (39 F) have 3 kids, 6 F, 9 M, and 12 F. My husband (40 M) and I decided a few days ago to take the kids to our local restaurant, as a treat, because we don't do that often. My husband is a bit of a health nut, and is VERY restrictive of the foods my kids eat, which is the main source of our arguments.

On Thursday, we went to the restaurant, and the kids were super excited. The server was asking what the kids wanted, when my 12 year old (We'll call her Emily) said, "Cheeseburger with bacon". My husband butted in and said, "With lettuce and tomato" Emily's face immediately fell. My husband didn't even notice, and Emily looked super bummed.

After the sever took our orders, my husband turned to Emily, and asked her what's wrong. She said that she didn't want lettuce and tomato on her burger, because she doesn't like them. He sighed and said that that they've been through this a million times, and having vegetables with every meal was super important. Emily looked like she was about to cry. She is neurodivergent and a lot of food taste's and textures really bother her, tomatoes being a large one. My husband doesn't seem to care, which REALLY bothers me.

When the food came, Emily didn't even touch the burger. So when my husband went to the bathroom, I took the lettuce and tomato off the burger, put them on mine, and winked at Emily. She grinned and gladly ate her burger. My husband didn't say anything about it, until that night.

He told me that taking the vegetables off was a violation of his trust, because he was just looking out for our daughter. I told him that it was just one meal, and not having vegetables ONCE wasn't a big deal. He said that those vegetables were very important. I left the room, and have been talking to him as little as possible. So Reddit, AITA for taking the vegetables off my daughters burger? I think I might be TAH because it's just lettuce and tomato, and my kids having vegetables is really important to my husband, but I feel like he was being super controlling, and I NEVER want to see my child upset.

UPDATE:

I went to bed when this post had about 200 comments and 50 something upvotes. Now there is 5.8 thousand upvotes, and 1.8 thousand comment. I have been reading through a ton of them, and my heart is breaking for everyone who is sharing their stories with eating disorders and their relationship with food. I have deiced to discuss with my older two about getting into therapy. I'm still trying to figure out what to do with my dick for a husband. Divorce is a serious contender. I would've considered it sooner, but I always thought that it would be better for the kids if we stayed together. I've now realized that my husband is harming my children in ways that could be life threatening. I'm thinking about taking the kids over to my parent's house for the week, because I don't think I can handle my husband doing this stuff to my babies. Thank you so much for all of your support, and I really appreciate it. I will update later about what I've decided to do.

I bet that lettuce was something like iceberg, which may as well be limp water when it comes to healthy.

poo poo, there are better ways to get your kids to eat their veges. I myself hate spinach but you throw that poo poo in a blender and you can't taste it at all. Get all the good health benefits with berries and banana.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
It's critically important to have your one thick slice of iceberg lettuce and watery shelf-stable tomato.

I mean I don't envy parents trying to get kids to eat healthy when they're surrounded by junk, obviously. I'm in my 40's and on a super-low-fiber diet the rest of my life, and I'm often ready to throw a tantrum after plating up one of the same three vegetable or fruits I can eat for the 10,000th time.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

Cowslips Warren posted:

The funny thing is on Mad Men, the cheating was almost expected by some of the wives as just one of those things.

I bet that lettuce was something like iceberg, which may as well be limp water when it comes to healthy.

poo poo, there are better ways to get your kids to eat their veges. I myself hate spinach but you throw that poo poo in a blender and you can't taste it at all. Get all the good health benefits with berries and banana.

Exactly. So many better ways to get vegetables in your system then sticking a perfunctory leaf of lettuce on a burger. Brussels sprouts, asparagus. Bok choy yu choy.

Not to mention, if you want to encourage your daughter to make healthy choices you have to let her make choices. Modifying the order is very disempowering.. especially when you don't even consult her.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Rescue Toaster posted:

It's critically important to have your one thick slice of iceberg lettuce and watery shelf-stable tomato.

I mean I don't envy parents trying to get kids to eat healthy when they're surrounded by junk, obviously. I'm in my 40's and on a super-low-fiber diet the rest of my life, and I'm often ready to throw a tantrum after plating up one of the same three vegetable or fruits I can eat for the 10,000th time.

* adds "Metamucil" under Rescue Toaster's entry in my Excel sheet about Goons' weaknesses *

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

Hey now, everybody knows a greasy bacon cheeseburger from a local burger place magically becomes a perfect health food when you put a single slice of iceberg lettuce on it.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
I don't think adding some lettuce and tomato to a burger automatically makes it health food or anything but there's gotta be some underlying issues beyond dad having a laymen's grasp of nutrition for her to jump straight to divorce over it.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

why did iceberg lettuce become so popular anyway, is it just wicked easy to grow?

poo poo sucks

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Johnny Truant posted:

why did iceberg lettuce become so popular anyway, is it just wicked easy to grow?

poo poo sucks

Tinfoil hat answer : It genuinely may be a cultural hold-over from the 50s era of cooking where people just slapped weirdo poo poo together. Serving literally anything on a "bed of lettuce" was drat near universal back then. Up to and including mayonnaise covered bananas.

Boring real answer : Some people feel that food is best when it has as many balanced flavors and textures as possible, and lettuce can add a crunch of water that helps cut through the salty/fatty components. And supposedly it helps keep the bun from getting soggy but that has never been true for me because everyone puts sauce on the bun regardless.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

PinheadSlim posted:

Tinfoil hat answer : It genuinely may be a cultural hold-over from the 50s era of cooking where people just slapped weirdo poo poo together. Serving literally anything on a "bed of lettuce" was drat near universal back then. Up to and including mayonnaise covered bananas.

Iceberg lettuce and hot dogs in aspic with miracle whip sauce is my favourite dish

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Johnny Truant posted:

Iceberg lettuce and hot dogs in aspic with miracle whip sauce is my favourite dish

Don't forget to suspend it in gelatin.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

carry on then posted:

Don't forget to suspend it in gelatin.

That'd be the aspic

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Willatron posted:

I don't think adding some lettuce and tomato to a burger automatically makes it health food or anything but there's gotta be some underlying issues beyond dad having a laymen's grasp of nutrition for her to jump straight to divorce over it.
It's the fact that the daughter is neurodivergent and instead of trying to find nutritious foods with textures she can tolerate the husband keeps trying to force her to eat things that she can't tolerate because he doesn't respect the fact that she has a legitimate sensory processing condition that isn't going to be solved by repeated forced exposure and belittling her when she can't bring herself to eat the food.

It doesn't sound like her diet would be all that restricted if he stopped forcing his restrictive diet on her, it's okay if she simply can't handle the squishy, watering texture of tomatoes. It's not going to kill her.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Willatron posted:

She said that most of her and her husband's fights were about the husband's obsession with the children's food.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Arsenic Lupin posted:

She said that most of her and her husband's fights were about the husband's obsession with the children's food.

Would that even change in divorce? Baconators at mom's and Veggiehell at dads.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Issaries posted:

Would that even change in divorce? Baconators at mom's and Veggiehell at dads.

It's way better to try and isolate that than pretend you don't see it

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Cowslips Warren posted:

This is pretty much how my in-laws gave my wife and her sister eating disorders so good on her for realizing that

B-Rock452 fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Apr 16, 2023

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Schizofriendly. :shuckyes:

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!

quote:

I told him that it was just one meal, and not having vegetables ONCE wasn't a big deal. He said that those vegetables were very important.

Whether husband realizes it or not, the vegetables aren’t about health, they are about control at this point, and THATS why it’s “important” to him.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

There's just no way for someone with a very specific texture issue with tomatoes to be healthy without eating tomatoes. You need to eat your vegetables to be healthy, and tomatoes are famously the only vegetable that exists.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I'm a little dubious of Baconator Mom. She seems like she's spinning pretty hard to me. And undermining your spouse with the kids is a pretty big deal, and she shouldn't pretend otherwise.

In her story as presented, she's in the right. I am just wary she is bullshitting or leaving a lot out.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 16, 2023

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I'm a little dubious of Baconator Mom. It's clearly and absolutely not minor one time thing but a chronic one, as she even says later, soo she's being dishonest with *someone* there. And undermining your spouse with the kids is a pretty big deal, and she shouldn't pretend otherwise.

which is not to say shes wrong in her story as presented, i am just wary she is bullshitting or leaving a lot out.

Counterpoint : It's loving rad to undermine a co-parent when they're being a really lovely parent, it's rad as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

PinheadSlim posted:

Counterpoint : It's loving rad to undermine a co-parent when they're being a really lovely parent, it's rad as hell

Sure. But you shouldn't pretend thats not what you're doing or its not a big deal.