Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

https://twitter.com/CP24/status/1646215688883765248?t=G7ECu3cOUNDQ1AYAMqqDCw&s=19

Oh how weird this happened immediately before a bunch of people who agreed to pay millions of dollars for these properties have to pay up

variation on a montreal classic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
tony forgot to put out his cigar before he beat gigi with his hickory stick

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

infernal machines posted:

[Canada] your wife's a spy, dude

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.
canada CSPAM having its own discord documents moment

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

in typical canadian fashion its much less interesting and more ignorable

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.
Frosted Flake's wife, SpyDude.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

government: why are people inexplicably disinclined to having kids, oh no our slowing birth rate might not make economy number go up forever

also the government: "Under the Strata Act, 55-and-over age restrictions are allowed, and hundreds of stratas in British Columbia have already passed those age limits. The government had said the restriction preserves and promotes seniors' housing"

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/vancouver-couple-baby-condo-55-age-limit-1.6806296

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.

Dijkstracula posted:

government: why are people inexplicably disinclined to having kids, oh no our slowing birth rate might not make economy number go up forever

also the government: "Under the Strata Act, 55-and-over age restrictions are allowed, and hundreds of stratas in British Columbia have already passed those age limits. The government had said the restriction preserves and promotes seniors' housing"

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/vancouver-couple-baby-condo-55-age-limit-1.6806296

what the gently caress is that

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Oglethorpe posted:

what the gently caress is that

A news story

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

i don't think declining birth rates are due to seniors-only condos

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

Wheeee posted:

i don't think declining birth rates are due to seniors-only condos
no but there might be a shared symptom in there somewhere

like if I was living in a city where my only option was a condo/multi-unit building (which if I was in YVR it would be) and the condo that I've already bought into was allowed to be converted into a active seniors lifestyle zone, then what am I gonna do have a kid anyway

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

you're right, we should cut off immigration and just make people have lots of old stock canadian babies

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

lmao at equating "we as a society don't support people who want to have kids" with "literally hungary", cmon bud

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

if you want society to care about you you should have been rich

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
i am getting tired of people complaining about birth rates then their grand solution to the problem is to scold young people. that's basically been japan's approach for the last 40 years and conservatives run it everywhere

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

Dijkstracula posted:

no but there might be a shared symptom in there somewhere

like if I was living in a city where my only option was a condo/multi-unit building (which if I was in YVR it would be) and the condo that I've already bought into was allowed to be converted into a active seniors lifestyle zone, then what am I gonna do have a kid anyway

It should probably take more than the 3/4 vote it takes now for that specific bylaw amendment, but is what you're saying here actually a problem? I know a few seniors only condos in Vancouver but all of them were built with that in mind.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

but scolding young people feels good

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

if the money is right I will father as many children as the cons need me to

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

T.C. posted:

It should probably take more than the 3/4 vote it takes now for that specific bylaw amendment, but is what you're saying here actually a problem? I know a few seniors only condos in Vancouver but all of them were built with that in mind.

After the government removed the ability of stratas to restrict their buildings to 18+ there’s been an a bunch of buildings voting to make themselves 55+ (still allowed). This naturally reduces the resale value, even if you weren’t planning on having kids. Kind of a big gently caress you to anyone not planning on dying in their condo.

Age restrictions also preclude condos becoming rentals, because the strata act has an exception to age discrimination in BC’s human rights code. You cannot discriminate based on age when selecting tenants though.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.
I plan on dying in my condo because I'll never be able to afford to move somewhere else.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

https://twitter.com/kinsellawarren/status/1647409613464117248

So when a major election gets kicked off as a result of a bag of wet sand having an affair, some people are curious why normal people would take the time and effort to sit down in front of a computer and poo poo post on social media, a very hard thing to do while not getting paid!!

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

yippee cahier posted:

After the government removed the ability of stratas to restrict their buildings to 18+ there’s been an a bunch of buildings voting to make themselves 55+ (still allowed). This naturally reduces the resale value, even if you weren’t planning on having kids. Kind of a big gently caress you to anyone not planning on dying in their condo.

Age restrictions also preclude condos becoming rentals, because the strata act has an exception to age discrimination in BC’s human rights code. You cannot discriminate based on age when selecting tenants though.

Also a bunch of landlords just wont rent to you if you have a small kid/are visibly pregnant.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Drunk Canuck posted:

So when a major election gets kicked off as a result of a bag of wet sand having an affair, some people are curious why normal people would take the time and effort to sit down in front of a computer and poo poo post on social media, a very hard thing to do while not getting paid!!

The Toronto mayoral race is going to kick rear end. There's a million people who want to run and get their hands on those strong mayoral powers to do all sorts of stupid poo poo, although if you're too leftwing Doug will probably just rescind them immediately lmao

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

Gonna start bringing my dog to poop on his lawn like Reverend Lovejoy does to Flanders.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Drunk Canuck posted:

man who has only ever been a ratfucker: "these tweets are giving me serious ratfucking vibes"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i for one cannot believe that the man who saw tens of thousands protest his police service during a global pandemic would see grassroots opposition to his mayoral campaign.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

*Three jackoffs telegraphing intentions to run for weeks, allowing time to set up counter information campaigns*

"this is connected, my instincts tell me"

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/globalnews/status/1648017481334661132

:thunk:

Also, I hope the federal employees go on strike

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
cbc changes their twitter display name to "✔️ CBC (actually funded by parliamentary appropriation voted upon by all members of parliament)"

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

the canadian broadcasting corporation isn't happy with twitter - that's okay, they will keep posting on that garbage

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Hell yes strike called for Wednesday

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

COPE 27 posted:

Hell yes strike called for Wednesday

"we'll be in a legal strike position Wednesday" isn't the same as "strike called for Wednesday" so stay tuned

but also lmao

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Who owns Global?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Corus/Shaw

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

"we'll be in a legal strike position Wednesday" isn't the same as "strike called for Wednesday" so stay tuned

but also lmao

nah they're already in a legal strike position
pickets start wednesday morning if there's no deal by 9pm tuesday

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

COPE 27 posted:

nah they're already in a legal strike position
pickets start wednesday morning if there's no deal by 9pm tuesday

the government funded cbc lied to me, this is even better

a CRA strike during tax deadline month, lol and lmao

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

cbc announcing its departure from twitter like it’s an airport. nobody cares bitch!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
absolutely hilarious watching western media melt down at twitter correctly identifying them as taking state funding

maybe don't spend decades saying it of your enemies like it's a bad thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

pokeyman posted:

absolutely hilarious watching western media melt down at twitter correctly identifying them as taking state funding

maybe don't spend decades saying it of your enemies like it's a bad thing?

:chloe:

Theres a difference between media that gets state funding and media that's controlled directly by the government