Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I checked with the flask and onslaught ruins my trigger rate for Mjölner, from 3.5 down to like 2.1 or something

E: kind of annoying because the movespeed would be great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I've been playing a standard strength stacking volcanic fissure totem chieftain. It is fun to delete metamorphs and cheese heist / expedition, which is content I usually don't do with builds I play. It is so goddam squishy, and it ain't ever getting tougher, so I really need to focus and maintain the methodical totem play style.

Neat to try if you usually do zoom zoom builds and facetank everything like me and want a change of pace to a more deliberate vibe, but you don't like HC or *shudder* ruthless.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I will say that crucible has grown on me slightly, largely because you no longer need to have a build that can tank shaper beams and do 5 mil boss dps to handle a fully charged crucible and it tells you what you're getting into if you do go to lethal levels.

That said it's still waaay low effort and the special crucible forge map is the lowest effort area in poe to date thrown together over a lunch break by the map designers and the whole mechanic basically takes a giant dump over all weaponless builds and a majority of the weapon types get shafted when it comes to useful passives compared to bows/shields, especially hybrid weapons.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Frank Frank posted:

So uh, this is where I'm at right now:

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/sony/view-profile/MrFrankFrank/characters

Don't mind the FR rings. I'm in that part of act 4 where everything is fire all the time and I have others I swap to as need dictates. A lot of the gems I have socketed at the moment are just there to gain xp for my end-game build. I'm assuming that's ok? Slots aren't going to do anything else - might as well use them for something.

Nothing wrong with that, and in fact, you can even slot in gems to your alternate weapon set (that's the I and II buttons on your inventory screen) and they'll still gain XP while that set is inactive (but they can't otherwise be used or provide any effect). Just make sure you're not overleveling them to the point the stat requirements will be too high for you to use them once you hit the minimum level requirement. If you accidentally do overlevel a gem, you can sell it to a vendor along with an orb of scouring and get back the same gem at one level lower.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Stux posted:

builds going well but need some input

https://poe.ninja/pob/Xjq

ive got daressos courage for a shield cos i could take advantage of the spell block on low life + then i can get the recent attack/spell block stuff to cover up some early defensive weakness but idk how much exactly i should be valuing it. i ve got other stuff i need to fix first + saving for a paradoxica but is there any obivous replacement i could grab? would i get more value out of a straight rare shield w a bunch of spell suppression instead? thanks.

help me... o rperish!!

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

e: nvm I'm dumb lol

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Apr 16, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

So what's up with stash tabs not actually holding all the bits relevant to that tab? Like I paid for a Maps tab and it won't store scouting reports, scarabs, etc. Is there another tab I need to get?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Tiny Timbs posted:

So what's up with stash tabs not actually holding all the bits relevant to that tab? Like I paid for a Maps tab and it won't store scouting reports, scarabs, etc. Is there another tab I need to get?

Right click the tab at top and check the "affinity" section

Oh but uhh, map tab only holds maps.

Scouting reports don't have a special tab but you can use the bottom rows on the currency tab but there's no affinity.

Scarabs go in fragment tab.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Couple more quick questions:

1) What is the point of corrupted items? I have a bunch of them but can’t seem to figure out what the drawback is. Hell, most of the orange items and crucible effects seem to be worse.

2) if you have a piece of armor that has 4 slots, and they are linked in a “letter C” formation, do all support effects still apply if there’s a slot that doesn’t really work? I’m not phrasing this well but imagine:

Green support -> red useless skill -~> green support —> green important skill.

Will the first green support still count?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

1) corrupted is an item quality that means it cannot normally be modified. They have added currency to the league over time to modify corrupted items

2) yes

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Frank Frank posted:

1) What is the point of corrupted items? I have a bunch of them but can’t seem to figure out what the drawback is. Hell, most of the orange items and crucible effects seem to be worse.

2) if you have a piece of armor that has 4 slots, and they are linked in a “letter C” formation, do all support effects still apply if there’s a slot that doesn’t really work? I’m not phrasing this well but imagine:

Corrupted used to be more permanent but it's still harder to modify than uncorrupted gear, especially when socket colouring.

Yes. All connected links affect all others (if applicable) no matter the order or placement.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
I decided to go for one more build before quitting the league since the exploding totems post on Reddit caught my eye, and that build will only work this season.

I played the Poison Pathfinder variant since I already had a Pathfinder leveled for Impending Doom. I have to say - this is easily the most powerful build for the cost I have played so far. I'm at around 4.5 divines in, and the damage feels a little more than the 22m dps Poison SRS I played last season (it is hard to get an accurate number since PoB doesn't support it), and it is the tankiest non-RF build I have played in a long time. I have 14k phys max hit, and 35k elemental max hit. For damage I just bought a bow that had the explode node and dot multi, with a chance to poison on hit quiver that I found my in 5c dump tab. There is also an ignite Chieftain version going around for those who want something other than poison.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Frank Frank posted:

1. To add a bit to the other answers: corrupting an item has 1 of 4 outcomes. It can either do nothing, re-roll it entirely, turn a socket white or add/replace the item's implicit modifier. When people corrupt it's they're aiming for that last one, since that could add something like +level of socketed gems or applying a curse on hit.

2. Pro-tip: if you mouse-over a socketed gem it will highlight all other linked gems that it is affecting/is affected by. The only not-obvious combination you might need to watch out for is that an active skill gem can only be supported by one gem with the Trigger tag, linking two Trigger gems will disable the skill entirely.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Rynoto posted:

Corrupted used to be more permanent but it's still harder to modify than uncorrupted gear, especially when socket colouring.

Yes. All connected links affect all others (if applicable) no matter the order or placement.

Thank you both. I finally got my unleash gem but hilariously don’t have a slot for it so it’s just looking sad in my inventory.

I’m worried about the “overleveling” thing that was mentioned and I’m not sure how or why that could happen.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Modifying Corrupted gear at the bench just requires a lot of Vaal Orbs.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I have a bunch of Vaal gems with effect lists so long they scroll off the screen but none that are relevant to my build unfortunately. Any chance I can swap them or sell them or stuff I need?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Frank Frank posted:

To expand on #2: the red skill won't block any of the supports for the green skill, but sometimes you have to be careful if you don't want to the red skill to be supported by those supports. For example, let's say you have Wave of Conviction supported by Spell Totem and Combustion (a common setup for fire builds) and you've got one open socket linked to them. You might think that you could put a utility spell in there like Flame Dash, but then that would cause Flame Dash to also be supported by Spell Totem, which would be completely useless for you. Fortunately you can always unlink sockets with fusing orbs if you don't want a skill to be supported.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Frank Frank posted:

I have a bunch of Vaal gems with effect lists so long they scroll off the screen but none that are relevant to my build unfortunately. Any chance I can swap them or sell them or stuff I need?

Selling 7 vaal gems and a sacrifice fragment to a vendor will give you a vaal orb. But also check trade, because some vaal gems can be worth a lot.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Over leveling isn't something you need to worry about on most builds for most gems. If it's in your main 6 link, chances are it should be max level.

The risk you run into while leveling is that you have an item that's not that great but it has a key stat on it. Perhaps for you that's a three link helmet with a fat strength roll but nothing else. If you're using a red skill, say steelskin, and keep it leveled up fully you might find a four link helmet with life and res and be unable to swap because of the missing stats. Downleveling gems with a scour at the vendor can be useful here, as can just buying a new one from Lily Roth in A6 or from gem vendors in A1-4 if they stock it.

Here's a few times that you don't want max level gems, to help you with context. Cast when damage taken is the big one, where the damage required to trigger goes up per level so you sometimes keep it low so it triggers often. This means that the active gems linked to it also need to be low level in order to cast (the cwdt gem will tell you what level requirement). The others are more niche, but one good example is if you use frostblink as a movement skill on Righteous Fire. If you level it up, you can kill yourself to elemental reflect maps. If you don't, you won't.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

pork never goes bad posted:

Over leveling isn't something you need to worry about on most builds for most gems. If it's in your main 6 link, chances are it should be max level.

The risk you run into while leveling is that you have an item that's not that great but it has a key stat on it. Perhaps for you that's a three link helmet with a fat strength roll but nothing else. If you're using a red skill, say steelskin, and keep it leveled up fully you might find a four link helmet with life and res and be unable to swap because of the missing stats. Downleveling gems with a scour at the vendor can be useful here, as can just buying a new one from Lily Roth in A6 or from gem vendors in A1-4 if they stock it.

Here's a few times that you don't want max level gems, to help you with context. Cast when damage taken is the big one, where the damage required to trigger goes up per level so you sometimes keep it low so it triggers often. This means that the active gems linked to it also need to be low level in order to cast (the cwdt gem will tell you what level requirement). The others are more niche, but one good example is if you use frostblink as a movement skill on Righteous Fire. If you level it up, you can kill yourself to elemental reflect maps. If you don't, you won't.

Thank you for the explanation.

It’s hilarious that I keep accidentally unearthing bizarre mechanics that I have to spend a good deal of time understanding/understanding how new mechanics interact with those I already understand.

This game is my jam.

E: also the build I was following just optimized a bunch of gems changing up the entire thing. Thankfully didn’t change skills at all but lol. RIP banner of Defiance and Despair gems. It also got rid of withering step for wither but that’s gonna be low on my list of stuff to swap. Core blade vortex build is still the same as is plague bearer.

Frank Frank fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 16, 2023

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

just killed a5 kitava on my league SC char. the explosive arrow elem ballista build is rolling nicely now for damage, although with my gear it's a little squishy. nice lazy build though, I like.

question about crafting recipes: you find a bunch at various podiums in the world. what happens if you miss one? how do you make up for it later? or are they all fixed and you can just go back for a specific recipe?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

pmchem posted:

just killed a5 kitava on my league SC char. the explosive arrow elem ballista build is rolling nicely now for damage, although with my gear it's a little squishy. nice lazy build though, I like.

question about crafting recipes: you find a bunch at various podiums in the world. what happens if you miss one? how do you make up for it later? or are they all fixed and you can just go back for a specific recipe?

The ones you unlock by clicking on recipes are all fixed. If you scroll way down at the crafting table it shows you the recipes you don’t have, and if you hover over one it’ll tell you where it is so you can go grab it.

A large number of crafting recipes come from unveiling gear which is a bit more random, but the crafting table also tells you what unveils those crafts come from.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Arivia posted:

The ones you unlock by clicking on recipes are all fixed. If you scroll way down at the crafting table it shows you the recipes you don’t have, and if you hover over one it’ll tell you where it is so you can go grab it.

A large number of crafting recipes come from unveiling gear which is a bit more random, but the crafting table also tells you what unveils those crafts come from.

ah cool, thanks. I never hovered over the stuff I don't have

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I got to eater, first time ever. Umm he was level 85 and had some very nasty attacks. I got him to maybe 90% before I ran out of tp's. I realized that I have specced into "uber" eater so it's kind of bad, I removed it from my atlas tree and tried it again, died without me dying. I also got exarch first time ever, and did not do the same mistake. Meatballs got me once but otherwise the fight was smooth. I guess shaper and maven are more complicated then, these regular eater/exarch were quite easy bosses in their regular form.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Shaper is probably equal to Exarch in terms of complexity (but not necessarily difficulty), with Maven being the most complex of all the Pinnacle bosses.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ihmemies posted:

I got to eater, first time ever. Umm he was level 85 and had some very nasty attacks. I got him to maybe 90% before I ran out of tp's. I realized that I have specced into "uber" eater so it's kind of bad, I removed it from my atlas tree and tried it again, died without me dying. I also got exarch first time ever, and did not do the same mistake. Meatballs got me once but otherwise the fight was smooth. I guess shaper and maven are more complicated then, these regular eater/exarch were quite easy bosses in their regular form.

your first eater/exarch are "story" versions that are easier to fight for plot progression, as well

not sure how/if that counted for your first try at eater since you turned the uber version on

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

My story version with the lvl85 node was at least nasty. Damage was much higher, boss did not take damage that much, so many more tentacles etc.

So there are three tiers of the same boss?

“Story” first try?
Regular?
Lvl85 “Uber”?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

For Eater and Exarch yes. Maven, Shaper and Elder do not have story versions.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

totalnewbie posted:

Right click the tab at top and check the "affinity" section

Oh but uhh, map tab only holds maps.

Scouting reports don't have a special tab but you can use the bottom rows on the currency tab but there's no affinity.

Scarabs go in fragment tab.

Thanks. That's a fine spot for the reports; just wish they went there automatically.

Mr. Grumpybones
Apr 18, 2002
"We're falling out of the sky! We're going down! We're a silver gleaming death machine!"
I got the Crucible bow mod “killing blows with Explosive Arrow shatter enemies as if the were frozen” so I stuck on Herald of Ice and I really can’t tell if it’s helping or not

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Mr. Grumpybones posted:

I got the Crucible bow mod “killing blows with Explosive Arrow shatter enemies as if the were frozen” so I stuck on Herald of Ice and I really can’t tell if it’s helping or not

Would you need Herald of Ice for that mod to apply, since the wording says "as if they were frozen"?

Mr. Grumpybones
Apr 18, 2002
"We're falling out of the sky! We're going down! We're a silver gleaming death machine!"
For the AOE to apply, I think Herald of Ice is necessary. But whether it’s applying another explosion or not to the the EA explosion, I can’t tell

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Keru posted:

Would you need Herald of Ice for that mod to apply, since the wording says "as if they were frozen"?

Grants a buff adding cold damage to spells and attacks. If you shatter an enemy, this skill will cause them to explode and deal AoE cold damage to enemies near them. This damage is not affected by modifiers to spell damage.

Theoretically that should cause them to explode. But my concern would be that GGG messed it up and the initial hit from EA would cause it, but not the actual explosion when the fuse expires, or the resulting ignite.

edit: oh it’s not working because totem kills aren’t your kills, you aren’t shattering them, the totems are?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Correct. The totems don't get the buff that grants the on-kill effect, just the added damage because you do.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I hate to ask this because I’m afraid of the answer, but is there any reliable way to farm chromatic / fusing orbs other than just getting lucky drops and/or finding trash items with 3 linked color slots?

I got a nice level 50ish chest piece with 5 slots and after a lot of effort, I still can’t use it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Pick up 6s and vendor them for jewelers which you convert

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

euphronius posted:

Pick up 6s and vendor them for jewelers which you convert

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a “6”? Do you mean “6 slot items”? If so, I haven’t seen a single one of those but maybe it gets better later. Also if I just blew the bank trying to roll a 5 slot item when 6 slots become common(?) I’m gonna be mad lol

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Yes, "6S" = "6 sockets" ("6L" = "6 linked sockets"). Those can start dropping at area level 50.

My advice: don't try to link it. You'll be fine with a 4L for the campaign, you'll probably find a better chest later, you might get a 5L to drop that you can craft on for cheaper and rolling a 5L is not cheap. To give you some idea, there's the crafting bench recipes for sockets/links, and those costs are slightly higher than average but still in the high-confidence band of how much it would cost if done manually. 5L is costs 150 Fusings (6L is 1500). The time spent farming up that many Fusings during the campaign would be better served actually finishing the campaign.

Of course you could get lucky and get it on the first go, but personally it doesn't seem worth it.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 17, 2023

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I was just going for a 5l and instead managed to 6l after about 30 fusings :grin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

whypick1 posted:

Yes, "6S" = "6 sockets" ("6L" meaning "6 linked sockets"). Those start dropping at area level 50.

Don't try to link it. You'll be fine with a 4L, you'll probably find a better chest later, you might get a 5L to drop that you can craft on for cheaper and getting a 5L is not cheap. To give you some idea, there's the crafting bench recipes for sockets/links, and those costs are slightly higher than average but still in the high-confidence band of how much it would cost if done manually. 5L is costs 150 Fusings (6L is 1500). The time spent farming up that many Fusings during the campaign would be better served actually finishing the campaign.

Of course you could get lucky and get it on the first go, but personally it doesn't seem worth it.

Yeeesh. 150 fusings? I think I’ve found like 20 of those over the course of my entire run through the middle of act 5. I am now regretting spending any of those orbs prior to max level because I was trying to min/max gear that would be obsolete in a few levels. Should have known that was dumb from D2.