Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/Spriter99880/status/1647500503893377025

https://twitter.com/BreAidan/status/1647510233936461824

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

this doesn't sound credible at all. no way would the ukrainian ruling classes be satisfied with a lower bound of a mere 400 million smackers

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I dunno, how many houses in London is that?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
can i please apply to be a nato stooge 1 million is all i need

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Lostconfused posted:

I dunno, how many houses in London is that?

Half of a studio

Zelensky needs to find another country to run into the ground if he wants the whole apartment.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
The best feeling about this is knowing what level of wailing and gnashing of teeth are going to erupt from the tankiesphere once Ukraine severs the land bridge to Crimea

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://compactmag.com/article/say-no-to-putin-s-multipolarity

Lol, no way he keeps on publishing articles like this.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

paul_soccer12 posted:

The best feeling about this is knowing what level of wailing and gnashing of teeth are going to erupt from the tankiesphere once Ukraine severs the land bridge to Crimea

it is going to be epic

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

paul_soccer12 posted:

I think I played tankiesphere on the n64.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

speng31b posted:

it is going to be epic

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

paul_soccer12 posted:

:gb2gbs:

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

bedpan posted:

The deranging impact of the Ukraine war was beyond what I even remembered from the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

That's not surprising as the Iraq War started in the pre-social media era.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I'd say the extent to which the US lost its loving mind over 9/11 and going into Iraq still outshines partisanship and social give-a-poo poo about Ukraine by many orders of magnitude. America completely lost its poo poo and started mag-dumping into its own feet over 9/11.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

well. that wasn’t quite what happened. 911 happened and everyone was gung ho for Afghanistan.

Iraq was years later and the link to 911 was transparently manufactured

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

euphronius posted:

well. that wasn’t quite what happened. 911 happened and everyone was gung ho for Afghanistan.

Iraq was years later and the link to 911 was transparently manufactured

Do you think there was no connection between the American fervor and losing their minds post-9/11 and the exploitation of that sentiment to go to war in Iraq?

On the day of the 9/11 attack, Rumsfeld was already asking his staff if this was enough reason to go after Iraq and regime change in Iraq. The White House directed review of OPLANs to invade Iraq within two months of 9/11. The Axis of evil speech was in January of 2002.Forces started flowing to prep for the Iraq invasion less than one year after 9/11. 13 months after 9/11, Congress authorized Bush to use military force against Iraq. 18 months after 9/11, US troops crossed the border into Iraq.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

paul_soccer12 posted:

i always get sad when tanks aren't allowed to roam free. Noble beasts of burden shouldn't be enslaved and limited by our meatpuppet desires :(

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the Iraq war would have happened without 911. it wasn’t very related. as I mentioned the connection to 911 was transparently bogus and it was one of a few reasons they gave for the war anyway. the number one issue they pushed was weapons of mass destruction. not pay back for 911 or whatever

Afghanistan was related

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

mlmp08 posted:

Do you think there was no connection between the American fervor and losing their minds post-9/11 and the exploitation of that sentiment to go to war in Iraq?

nope

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

They release a lot of prisoners for guys that want to genocide every last Ukrainian.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i think that the general hardening of american attitudes in the wake of the eleventh of september attacks will have played a part in mobilising public opinion for the invasion of iraq

it doesn't have to be the specific cited casus belli to be a part of the reason that the invasion happened

mlmp is... substantially right??? heaven is falling

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Dixon Chisholm posted:

i saw a deer eat a live bird

My parents were both killed by a deer when I was little. I'm basically the human version of Bambi.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

euphronius posted:

it wasn’t very related.

hmm, agree to disagree, then

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

V. Illych L. posted:

i think that the general hardening of american attitudes in the wake of the eleventh of september attacks will have played a part in mobilising public opinion for the invasion of iraq

it doesn't have to be the specific cited casus belli to be a part of the reason that the invasion happened

Nah, :amerikkka: is a Demon Cracker Nation full of blood-gargling monsters who get a boner whenever blood can get spilled.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

most of the country thought saddam helped bin laden. it was in surveys over and over. and then the bush admin exploited american's fear of more terror attacks with the whole WMD thing

i mean, i lived through it. i knew people who were excited about america going to get "those people" who did "it," and they meant anyone from turkey to pakistan. no doubt iraq would have had "regime change" through some method eventually, but 9/11 was absolutely the rallying call for the iraq war, fueled by people signing up for the military to get their piece of revenge

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-H1T7ny2Uw

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-s...sYbVCKA-4BITIg4

code:
Washington Post Poll:
Saddam Hussein and the Sept. 11 Attacks

Saturday, September 6, 2003

The latest Washington Post poll is based on telephone interviews with 1,003 randomly selected adults nationwide, and was conducted Aug. 7-11, 2003. The margin of sampling error for overall results is plus or minus 3 percentage points. Sampling error is only one of many potential sources of error in this or any other public opinion poll. Interviewing was conducted by TNS Intersearch of Horsham, Pa.

*= less than 0.5 percent

How likely is it that Saddam Hussein (INSERT ITEM) ? Would you say that it is very likely, somewhat likely, not very likely, or not at all likely?

--------Likely-------  -------Not Likely------   No
                                  NET   Very   Somewhat  NET   Not very   At all  opin. 
a. was personally involved in 
   the September 11 terrorist 
   attacks                         69    32       37      28      15        12      3
b. has provided assistance to
   Osama bin Laden and his 
   terrorist network               82    51       31      14       8         6      4
c. was trying to develop weapons
   of mass destruction             84    62       22      14       9         5      3
d. had already developed weapons
   of mass destruction             78    51       27      19      12         7      3

a. was personally involved in the September 11 terrorist attacks

--------Likely-------  -------Not Likely------   No
               NET   Very   Somewhat  NET   Not very   At all  opin. 
8/11/03         69    32       37      28      15        12      3
2/6/03*         72    34       38      25      16         9      3
10/24/02        71    34       37      25      16         9      4
9/13/01#        78    34       44      12       9         3      9

* 2/6/03 and previous - Time/CNN. "…personally involved in the terrorist attacks
(on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon) on September 11th (2001) -- very likely,
somewhat likely…"
# "How likely is it that Saddam Hussein is personally involved in Tuesday's terrorist
attacks..."
b,c,d. No trend.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I would love to know about the diverted weapons shipments because the media promised Ukraine was working on accountability after a third turned up missing but then we never heard anything again.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Ardennes posted:

Ukraine needs to thin its paint

these are my favorite thread cross-references

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Wrt Afghan war comparisons, I don’t remember having to pretend to care about the Northern Alliance or that Canada has a deep spiritual/historical connection to it, nor members of cabinet arranging for Northern Alliance fighters to get release from jail on their own initiative, run out of their own office.

Did anyone hear about the Northern Alliance after Operation Anaconda? I don’t think so.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

AnimeIsTrash posted:

https://compactmag.com/article/say-no-to-putin-s-multipolarity

Lol, no way he keeps on publishing articles like this.

could you copy paste whatever is past the paywall?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

BULBASAUR posted:

could you copy paste whatever is past the paywall?

ya give me a second, i need to find the copy of the article

it wasnt much different from his other pieces about ukraine if you want the general gist

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

V. Illych L. posted:

hes right

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Frosted Flake posted:

I would love to know about the diverted weapons shipments because the media promised Ukraine was working on accountability after a third turned up missing but then we never heard anything again.

i have them

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

just ukrainian cargo plans falling out of the sky carrying weapons to bangladesh, as one does

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/7/17/cargo-plane-carrying-hazardous-material-crashes-in-greece

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

On the day of the 9/11 attack, Rumsfeld was already asking his staff if this was enough reason to go after Iraq and regime change in Iraq. The White House directed review of OPLANs to invade Iraq within two months of 9/11. The Axis of evil speech was in January of 2002.Forces started flowing to prep for the Iraq invasion less than one year after 9/11. 13 months after 9/11, Congress authorized Bush to use military force against Iraq. 18 months after 9/11, US troops crossed the border into Iraq.

9/11 was a convenient excuse but that poo poo was planned years earlier.

quote:

The group, the Project for the New American Century, or PNAC, was founded in 1997. Among its supporters were three Republican former officials who were sitting out the Democratic presidency of Bill Clinton: Donald Rumsfeld, Dick Cheney and Paul Wolfowitz.

In open letters to Clinton and GOP congressional leaders the next year, the group called for "the removal of Saddam Hussein's regime from power" and a shift toward a more assertive U.S. policy in the Middle East, including the use of force if necessary to unseat Saddam.

And in a report just before the 2000 election that would bring Bush to power, the group predicted that the shift would come about slowly, unless there were "some catastrophic and catalyzing event, like a new Pearl Harbor."

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Delta-Wye posted:

just ukrainian cargo plans falling out of the sky carrying weapons to bangladesh, as one does

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/7/17/cargo-plane-carrying-hazardous-material-crashes-in-greece

that was like 9 months ago lol

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

most of the country thought saddam helped bin laden. it was in surveys over and over. and then the bush admin exploited american's fear of more terror attacks with the whole WMD thing

i mean, i lived through it. i knew people who were excited about america going to get "those people" who did "it," and they meant anyone from turkey to pakistan. no doubt iraq would have had "regime change" through some method eventually, but 9/11 was absolutely the rallying call for the iraq war, fueled by people signing up for the military to get their piece of revenge

Yeah, IIRC the vast majority of U.S. troops in Iraq believed it was payback for 9/11 even years later, because all the TVs on base only showed Fox News.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Военный Осведомитель posted:

(Click thumbnail to open video)

Очередное украинское творение засветилось в Бахмуте (Артемовске). На этот раз бронемутант представляет собой нечто на базе Т-64 без башни, но зато с пулеметом и динамической защитой «Контакт-1».

@milinfolive
(from t.me/milinfolive/99317, via tgsa)

i think this tank's missing its turret

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
if the caption is to be believed its a T-64 with no turret, being used as a very well armoured machine gun carrier

what the gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
all tanks are beautiful