Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

Quiet Feet posted:

Hi, it's me. The guy who really liked them and is sad. :smithcloud:

I was just there a couple of weeks ago. Would have bought a little more if I'd known it was gonna be the last time.

We have friends in CT, and I liked to grab some stuff from them when we visited. Hell, we visited last weekend, and I almost went, having no idea they were closed. That's a shame, hope they figure something out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

I'm going to Daytona Beach next week to visit the in-laws. Any breweries around there worth checking out?

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Spanish Manlove posted:

0.049 * 375 ml = 18.375 ml alcohol

0.06 * 250 ml = 15 ml alcohol

Hmm yes.

But can you convert this to dumb dumb

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

VB tastes like piss regardless

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Hmm yes.

But can you convert this to dumb dumb

18 > 15

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

Drinking a Zombie Ice right now and it is extremely delicious. I hardly drink beer anymore but had to cop a 6 pack of this one.

Now FFF needs to make Zombie Ice Ice (Baby) where they freeze distill Zombie Ice a few times and make it extra potent.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Nobody needs to get on that stupid brewdog schtick anymore

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I found Westbrook gose and a 4pk of petite prince at the fancy bottle shop near Angry Chair. It was a nice surprise to see those out in the wild now.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
I think ween is an OK band and being drunk will probably help with my enjoyment!

Oooooocean maann

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Kaiho posted:

Nobody needs to get on that stupid brewdog schtick anymore

Huh

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

The "we eisbocked your eisbock so it's now rocket fuel!!!" schtick is so drat stupid.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

I think ween is an OK band and being drunk will probably help with my enjoyment!

Oooooocean maann

I’d have to be real fuckin drunk

Thankfully I got a sixer of Florida Man and I’m working on it

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm going to order the kegconnection line cleaning kit for my Insignia kegerator, unless someone has a better suggestion. Are there any other upgrades or attachments that will make my life easier? Getting tons of head lately, and having to release pressure on the coupler prior to every pint to bring it down at all.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

codo27 posted:

I'm going to order the kegconnection line cleaning kit for my Insignia kegerator, unless someone has a better suggestion. Are there any other upgrades or attachments that will make my life easier? Getting tons of head lately, and having to release pressure on the coupler prior to every pint to bring it down at all.

You still using the regulator that came with it? I don’t know if mine was defective or just shoddy but it never kept the pressure consistent; you could watch it drop as you poured the beer. I replaced it with a new Taprite and it’s been perfect since.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I dont look at it while pouring of course but it does seem to stay consistent, the OEM one. I'd be more suspect but the first few kegs after the original learning curve, I had it down to a science and had great pours every time. But now I'm getting more head than a good date

Hub Dirt
Apr 26, 2008
I finally managed to break my sweet Moonglow weizen glass last night. It had survived dozens of BBQs, but I tinged it just right off of a mug while washing up and now it's gone. I really want another awesome weizen glass. Any recommendations, especially including spiral glass?

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Spuckuk posted:

VB tastes like piss regardless

Oh, you cant taste the Pride of Ringwood hops?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Sigh. Line cleaning kit came today, went through that process, following the included instructions and it was all pretty simple. Almost time for puck drop (6 hours later), I go to pour one and see how it is. Theres very little resistance on the tap and its nothing but pure foam coming out. What the hell have I done?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

https://www.caiusfarmbrewery.com/our-story

quote:

Our founder, head brewer, and owner, Caius Mergy, found his love for beer during his final year at Middlebury College in Vermont, where he studied Classics (Greek and Latin language).

This passion continued while he obtained his Masters in Classical Archaeology from the University of Oxford,

Tell me your parents built you a brewery without telling me your parents built you a brewery.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
chicken coups

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
: ok contestant. We surveyed 100 trust fund kid's breweries. What is the first beer on their taplist?

: uhhhhh, HAZIES

: Alright folks, he said hazies. That means a hazy new england india pale ale made with high flocculating yeast that is low in hop bitterness and high in citrusy flavor. delicions

: show me HAZY!

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Gah!!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Oh yeah, those Roman character drawings for each beer did not work for me at all. I feel kind of bad because Greek/Roman aesthetic could be cool but just feels like a cheesy Italian restaurant. Also the fact that they built a brewery on land that used to be a farm doesn’t make it a farm brewery.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Here's a question I've been thinking about for a while now. What skills separates the great brewers from the mediocre ones? Is it access to better equipment/raw materials? Better recipes? More attention to detail? A trick of better marketing? Just a better feel for brewing?

I know taste is highly subjective and for every great beer there's going to be someone who claims it sucks, but we all know these mediocre little breweries that pop up everywhere and maybe have one or two above average beers but are mostly just ok. If one of these brewers watched a batch of [highly regarded beer] being brewed would they be able to replicate it with a little practice? Or do .200 hitters generally stay .200 hitters?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Human Tornada posted:

Here's a question I've been thinking about for a while now. What skills separates the great brewers from the mediocre ones? Is it access to better equipment/raw materials? Better recipes? More attention to detail? A trick of better marketing? Just a better feel for brewing?

I know taste is highly subjective and for every great beer there's going to be someone who claims it sucks, but we all know these mediocre little breweries that pop up everywhere and maybe have one or two above average beers but are mostly just ok. If one of these brewers watched a batch of [highly regarded beer] being brewed would they be able to replicate it with a little practice? Or do .200 hitters generally stay .200 hitters?

Everything except the marketing. Marketing doesn't impact how good a beer actually is, it just keeps good brewers from making good beer because meme beer.

You can't really replicate beer exactly because of the variables involved right down to water source, malt/hops lot, fermenter size/profile. If you had the recipe you can get close, but it still would be different. When people get critical its usually because the beer tastes bad in a few different ways from having off flavors from bad attention to fermentation all the way to it tasting like a cereal/candy aisle in the grocery store because they dumped a bunch of poo poo into that pasty stout near the end of process. Mediocre breweries tend to have a lot of issues with off flavors and meme chasing. But they can do okay if they have the customer base that doesn't know any better or wants a heavily fruited kettle sour like this place is brewing.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Human Tornada posted:

It's everything you mentioned, but better equipment and attention to detail are probably the biggest ones. Really though, it's the intersection of the two. Knowing how and what to do with the right equipment and making sure everyone in every department knows what to do and cares enough to do it right is the biggest challenge. There are dozens of points in the process where the beer can suffer a tiny bit and that all of that adds up between brew day and cracking open a can.

In addition to all that, it's also working for a company that stands to gain from investing time and money in quality. The sad fact is that the majority of people don't really care all that much about quality past a certain threshold so the people counting the beans don't see the point.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Human Tornada posted:

repeatability and consistency. Across batches and across styles. Also that whole thing with no off flavors and weird brewing flaws etc. But a lot of it comes down to a meticulous care for detail and process management with regard to ingredient quality and measurement, temperature control, fermentation time, packaging methods, and system cleanliness.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
All very interesting. I've never brewed anything in my life and (I guess naively) wondered if it all just came down to recipes. I know a couple brewers/owners but I can't exactly ask them "hey how come I'm never that excited to drink your beers" lol.

internet celebrity posted:

making sure everyone in every department knows what to do and cares enough to do it right is the biggest challenge.

In my experience in the restaurant world this has been the biggest challenge, especially the bolded part. I wasn't sure it applied to small breweries because they're working with a much smaller staff, but I guess people are people.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Human Tornada posted:

All very interesting. I've never brewed anything in my life and (I guess naively) wondered if it all just came down to recipes. I know a couple brewers/owners but I can't exactly ask them "hey how come I'm never that excited to drink your beers" lol.

In my experience in the restaurant world this has been the biggest challenge, especially the bolded part. I wasn't sure it applied to small breweries because they're working with a much smaller staff, but I guess people are people.

You can have a brew staff of two people and brew amazing beer. It really does come down to paying attention to the details and paying attention to the deficiencies in your process and working them out. You just might not be able to brew and package as much volume with fewer people as a brew house with 6-7 brew staff can manage.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Human Tornada posted:

Maybe that was a bit too judgmental, it's about staying focused and not rushing through things. Someone can care about quality but still want to carbonate a tank a bit faster and unwittingly blow out a bunch of hop aroma in the process. There are tons of little things that that.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Human Tornada posted:

One thing I learned a few years ago was that recipes don’t really matter as much as you would think. Big time brewers aren’t looking for a consistent recipe when it comes to a given beer, they’re looking for a consistent flavor. And that might mean that from year to year the exact ratio of hops they’re using could change as like, mosaic or citra crops change from year to year.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Brew and a view at Hill Farmstead this weekend

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

hell yeah

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

:nice:

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
After some equipment troubles, we've finally released a dark saison we did in collaboration with two other breweries in the state that I'm a big fan of. It's drat good. I drank quite a few of them after work. It was something I was anticipating trying since we brewed it in early March, and it delivers all the way. Very pleased with how this turned out.

sporkstand
Jun 15, 2021
A few years back someone posted a link to an article about a bunch of trust fund kids that opened a brewery. I think they were all from wealthy winemaking families, and super pretentious. I remember that one of the dudes in the article using the term "alehouse". Anybody remember this and have a link?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
You're going to have to be more specific, even though that sounds as specific as possible from an anecdotal memory

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

sporkstand posted:

A few years back someone posted a link to an article about a bunch of trust fund kids that opened a brewery. I think they were all from wealthy winemaking families, and super pretentious. I remember that one of the dudes in the article using the term "alehouse". Anybody remember this and have a link?

You probably need to narrow that down to the state it was in. That's more common than it should be.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Wasn't there a Napa-or-something place brewing a lager and charging like $40? They had some insane tech-bro setup or something. I remember reading the puff piece on them here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Ohhhhhh I remember this now where it was like some brew setup built complex enough for a chemical engineering RND lab but they made dad beers, and it was all afluenza kids from NorCal.