Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

So I thought the White Palace was pretty awful and then I actually go to fight the last boss now and... nope. First time I've come up against a boss in this game (that wasn't a cheesy hidden boss) that I'm just not sure if I could ever beat. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy
Dec 24, 2005

150cc of psilocybinic power
I guess high difficulty is the easiest way to create an open-ended metroidvania. You get your rear end beat or don't understand a particular area well enough and say "well, I must not be able to get here until later," when with more skill or thought you could have overcome the obstacle.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

RillAkBea posted:

So I thought the White Palace was pretty awful and then I actually go to fight the last boss now and... nope. First time I've come up against a boss in this game (that wasn't a cheesy hidden boss) that I'm just not sure if I could ever beat. :smith:

Have you found all the pale ore and upgraded the nail to max? Go for a damage and nail speed build with charms too. You can also get another charm notch if you do the Grim Troupe content.

But yeah, in the end you just have to learn his tells like everything else in the game.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Cartoon Man posted:

Have you found all the pale ore and upgraded the nail to max? Go for a damage and nail speed build with charms too. You can also get another charm notch if you do the Grim Troupe content.

But yeah, in the end you just have to learn his tells like everything else in the game.

*her

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the most fun with the final boss is getting good enough at the HK bit that you can just murder it in like 25 seconds

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I beat a lot of the bosses while I was learning to not die immediately, my lil' buddies did a LOT of the work.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think you can pretty reliably damage race/facetank HK with a pure offensive build too though I ended up not doing this because that's not the best loadout for radiance

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

RillAkBea posted:

One tip is that if you have quick heal you can pretty reliably get two masks back during the beam attack and that can keep you above water

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Although I'd primarily used the Nail for most of the rest of the game I found that switching to a spell build and going ham with Abyss Shriek worked very well for the True Boss. The fact that it's a large target that floats in the air and doesn't take any knockback means it takes massive damage.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

RillAkBea posted:

It's basically a bullet hell fight, so focus on dodging first and learn when it's safe to hit the boss. Without counting special bosses she's really the first one in the standard game you can't just kinda be sloppy and rush in and still win. It might seem like a bad idea but getting the charm that gives you nail beams at full health (from the grubs) is really good for that fight. It lets you hit her repeatedly from the ground which makes phase 1 much smoother and faster especially when combined with strength. And if you get hit enough to not be able to keep it up then you probably won't be winning anyways so there's not much downside for that fight in particular.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 13, 2023

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Whenever you're stuck on a boss, try changing your charms setup. You might just end up finding a loadout that completely trivializes the thing you thought was unbeatable.

This is a good time to finish upgrading your knight with 10 health masks, 3 soul vessels, 11 charm notches, the pure nail and unbreakable strength if you don't already have them.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

cheetah7071 posted:

To me, non-linearity isn't the point so much as the feeling of discovering the path. It doesn't matter how many paths there are, as long as the game lets you use your brain to find it instead of making it obvious

Exactly this, any nonlinearity is a side effect of "find the path" gameplay

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

cheetah7071 posted:

To me, non-linearity isn't the point so much as the feeling of discovering the path. It doesn't matter how many paths there are, as long as the game lets you use your brain to find it instead of making it obvious

I do enjoy that aspect of these style of games, but drat if there aren't times I end up totally stumped

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ilmucche posted:

I do enjoy that aspect of these style of games, but drat if there aren't times I end up totally stumped

it's a delicate balance, and a personal one. You can have two people have a conversation where one thinks Metroid Dread is insanely handholdy because of all the one-way gates and teleporters and tantalizing powerups along the critical path, and another who got lost for hours in it and thinks it was too confusing

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Can’t believe we’re getting BOTW 2 before Silksong. Bapanada…

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Been playing through again and am stonewalled on hornet 2. I have 6 masks and coiled nail but still can't beat her. I don't remember it being this hard.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

cheetah7071 posted:

it's a delicate balance, and a personal one. You can have two people have a conversation where one thinks Metroid Dread is insanely handholdy because of all the one-way gates and teleporters and tantalizing powerups along the critical path, and another who got lost for hours in it and thinks it was too confusing

man dread is a great game but this drove me frickin crazy. i feel like you can't actually pause and take a breath to explore and grab some upgrades until you have space jump and screw attack

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

The Skeleton King posted:

Been playing through again and am stonewalled on hornet 2. I have 6 masks and coiled nail but still can't beat her. I don't remember it being this hard.

It's not. It's arguably easier than the first encounter.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I don't in principle have a problem with Dread's quite streamlined design sensibility where you're continually being nudged onto the streamlined critical path but the thing that really grates for me isn't them pushing you forward but them slamming the door behind you. Arguably the absolutely most quintessential metroidvania element, the actual one thing that if you remove from a metroidvania makes it no longer a metroidvania and if you add it to another game will make people describe it as having "metroidvania elements", is the experience of obtaining a new powerup and having three or four locations you've been to float unbidden to the front of your mind, and if you want you can go back and clear those places out (or discover where they lead). And Dread fucks with that. No sooner do you recall those places than the game slams a door behind you that actively prevents you from backtracking even if you want to, and that's what bothers people about Dread.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
And the fact that it came out in 2021 but seems like a game from 2006.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

What does "seems like a game from 2006" mean?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Dread kicked rear end. I won't stand for this slander.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Procrastine posted:

What does "seems like a game from 2006" mean?

Means it would have seemed like a good game in 2006 but in 2021 it seemed like a dated old game that had been passed by by other games in its genre.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I can’t think of one outside of blessed game The Hollow Knight

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Waltzing Along posted:

Means it would have seemed like a good game in 2006 but in 2021 it seemed like a dated old game that had been passed by by other games in its genre.

Whack post OP

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Waltzing Along posted:

????

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
for the record this is the poster who thought dread was partially developed in like 2005 and they just gave it to MercurySteam to "finish up" 15 years later

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Feels Villeneuve posted:

for the record this is the poster who thought dread was partially developed in like 2005 and they just gave it to MercurySteam to "finish up" 15 years later

Cool story, bro. Not a true story, though.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

who was the person who threw a hissy fit over not realising you had to hold the jump button longer to jump higher

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

Waltzing Along posted:

Cool story, bro. Not a true story, though.
e:

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

who was the person who threw a hissy fit over not realising you had to hold the jump button longer to jump higher
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7noxyKs4mc8

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Cause it’s crazy hard. That was the fight that took me the longest to get through in my original play through.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Hmm, I thought I made this reply already but I don't see it.

I played through White Palace for only the second time ever, despite it being my 6th or 7th time through the game. Last time I did it (on my first-ever playthrough), it took me forever and was very frustrating; this time it was surprisingly fast and I was really shocked when I realized I had reached the end. Strangely, many things I do worse now than I did in my first playthrough, like the Mantis Lords, which I one-shot the first time and have never one-shot since.

Hornet 2 (do we really need to spoil this, this far into release? Or ever?) is another fight I didn't have much trouble with the first time but has been a huge roadblock every time since. This time I think ended up cheesing it by equipping Stalwart Shell and Quick Slash and just facetanking the damage. This same strategy also trivialized Watcher Knights, which has always been a very hard fight for me in the past, and I think 1-2 other bosses.

guppy fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 15, 2023

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

just let the guy vibe in his consideration of others

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I don't know if I need to spoil it, I just did out of courtesy.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Hollow Knight

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Waltzing Along posted: