Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Silver2195 posted:

I don't really remember any hints of a larger setting. I guess if Gotoge had really wanted to, they could have revealed that Muzan was only the progenitor of Japanese demons, and that some European alchemists or whatever had independently performed similar experiments, resulting in vampires and the like.
Well Muzan's condition being created by some Taoist medicine man's incomplete concoction and the whole Blue Spider Lily thing wasn't really gone into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Tangentially related thought: People point out similarities between Demon Slayer and early Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, but the really blatant knockoff in that regard is Buso Renkin. Papillon Mask in particular is basically just straight up Dio (ambition fueled by sibling rivalry, turns himself into a man-eating monster when he's driven into a corner and slaughters a bunch of people in his family's mansion - I think he even uses his fingers to do it), and the basic idea of the series' power system is "What if the Stand users fought the vampires/zombies/Pillar Men instead of being from different parts of the series?"

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Fabricated posted:

Well Muzan's condition being created by some Taoist medicine man's incomplete concoction and the whole Blue Spider Lily thing wasn't really gone into.

Oh yeah, I guess they could have used that to introduce jiangshi or similar Chinese monsters too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly I feel like Demon Slayer maybe could have drawn out its last arc a little but it didn't really have a ton more places to go. It's better off as a ended-quickly story than going on forever.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Number 2 demon had a cult or something(it just popped up in the anime too) that could have been possibly neat to explore.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i realise nobody here likely knows the answer but how come mashle and sakamoto don't ahve speed scans considering they're getting/have animes?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jose posted:

i realise nobody here likely knows the answer but how come mashle and sakamoto don't ahve speed scans considering they're getting/have animes?

Because they already are getting translated?

Like the answer is always going to be that speedscans only really care about stuff that gets them clout for having a vaguly readable translation out for a popular series before the official translation. If there isn't enough clout they're not going to bother because anyone who cares about quality is either waiting for an official translation or waiting for people who care more about accuracy than speed.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

well yes thats my point. they're popular enough to be getting animes so i'd have thought that would be enough to get a speed scan regardless of them being licensed

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ImpAtom posted:

Because they already are getting translated?

I think they mean in the vein of One Piece, MHA, and Chainsaw Man which all have easy access translations, but still get speed scans like two or three days before the official release.

Might be a popularity thing? Also consider how fast and often new series die might be enough to scare any potential fan translations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jose posted:

well yes thats my point. they're popular enough to be getting animes so i'd have thought that would be enough to get a speed scan regardless of them being licensed

Getting an anime doesn't necessarily mean you're going to end up with a popular anime.

Also in Mashle's case the series is almost over so there's no real demand.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

MHA, One Piece, and Chainsaw Man are all massive hits and I don't think Mashle has broken through in the West in the same way, I would imagine is the reason.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i picked mashle (which admittedly is in its end game) and sakamoto as its about to get an anime and is 100+ chapters in and showing no sign of ending

chainsawman still gets speed scans and spy x family gets them too

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Electric Phantasm posted:

Number 2 demon had a cult or something(it just popped up in the anime too) that could have been possibly neat to explore.

Yeah, all of the Upper could have gotten their own arcs to spread things out instead of combining them.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Jose posted:

Because they're getting official releases day and date, so there's not enough internet fame to justify the extra work needed to have everything ready a couple days early.

MHA, One Piece, Jujutsu, they're huge. People will remember your web site. But Sakamoto, most people don't care enough to mind the wait. It's like Roboco that way.

As for the new titles, Kill Blue feels kind of redundant with Sakamoto around, so it'll need to carve out a niche quick. (Similarly, Fabricant having the protagonist go full crazy with his healing covers territory marked by Chainsaw Man and Undead Unluck, even if Chainsaw's out of the main mag and it's been a long time since Andy was around. But since Fabricant is likely doomed already, that matters less.)

Meanwhile, Tenmaku doesn't have any interesting conflict at the moment. The protagonist not feeling good enough isn't good enough, you know?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

was jujutsu getting an official release before speedscans started? I suppose that might've been a better way to phrase my question

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i read through all of demon slayer last year and i remember almost none of it

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Jose posted:

was jujutsu getting an official release before speedscans started? I suppose that might've been a better way to phrase my question

99% sure, since Viz translated (almost) everything that's in WSJ magazine and JJK is in it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Jose posted:

It started before Jump was doing day and date as a rule, but it was part of the Jumpstart initiative, so the first three chapters were released officially at the same time as in Japan.

(And Chainsaw Man very rarely gets speedscans these days, because Jump Plus is harder to leak than Jump proper... but when there is a leak, you can get it a week plus in advance.)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm sad about Fabricant if it ends up getting axed, it had an interesting premise. The protagonist getting enhanced regeneration was a kind of weird choice, though. There's usually not a lot of interesting things you can do with that (and as someone else mentioned, there's another popular series with it).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I'm sad about Fabricant if it ends up getting axed, it had an interesting premise. The protagonist getting enhanced regeneration was a kind of weird choice, though. There's usually not a lot of interesting things you can do with that (and as someone else mentioned, there's another popular series with it).

It makes sense as a gimmick because the protagonist's entire thing is that he is the absolute best decoy possible while 100 is the actual brute force. Being able to harm himself without it being crippling means he can contribute to fights and they can do it without him suddenly getting the ability to directly fight so it doesn't gently caress up the dynamic.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
*points* branch of sin

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

does anyone really feel strongly enough about mashle to want a speedscan for it?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i get the feeling that even the mangaka doesn't.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Terper posted:

Akane-banashi has fully accepted its role as a shonen battle manga

When I read the word nin I immediately thought of nen and then they bust out the nen chart.

This manga rules.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Is Fabricant 100 doing badly enough that we have to worry about the Axe is looming over it? I liked the last chapter and I like it in general. :mad:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I don’t like worrying about the axe, I prefer to just focus on the ride. I like Fabricant, but I do wish the artwork was slightly better

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm worried One Piece is gonna get axed.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I'm worried One Piece is gonna get axed.

There would literally be riots outside Shonen Jump HQ

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

RatHat posted:

Yeah and those rioters are gonna get axed too.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

Is Fabricant 100 doing badly enough that we have to worry about the Axe is looming over it? I liked the last chapter and I like it in general. :mad:

Low poll ranking, sales below Oricon chart minimum. Barring a miracle, it's probably gone, with the only question being when.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

RatHat posted:

Real life Marineford

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Yeah and those rioters are gonna get axed too.

It’s okay, they’ll bring swords and get the weapon triangle advantage

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

chiasaur11 posted:

Low poll ranking, sales below Oricon chart minimum. Barring a miracle, it's probably gone, with the only question being when.

It has the buffer of other things being below it.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

Tangentially related thought: People point out similarities between Demon Slayer and early Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, but the really blatant knockoff in that regard is Buso Renkin. Papillon Mask in particular is basically just straight up Dio

It actually gets referenced on the work itself.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Marriagetoxin: The various captured animal users being able to control the animals inside Beast user body is a cool idea, but I can't help but feel that it was kinda wasted. Their intervention should have happened earlier and be the way the Beast user got defeated, instead of Gerou just getting a random powerup and wiping the floor with him. Ah well, at least Hamster girl is still the best.

Make the Exorcist Fall in Love: I think it's really obvious that the singer girl made a deal with Asmodeus to get her supernaturally good singing talent and the 40 days thing is Asmodeus coming for the payment, right? That being said, I am looking forward for this series take on Romcom.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The 3-4 pages of Gero slamming down beast guy is real cool in the app, sliding the pages gives it a pseudo animation effect like that one chapter of OPM with Speed Sonic.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
MarriageToxin: Even with so much bullshit he's still weaker than the top 3 of the beast clan, the Tiger, Wolf, and Elephant clans? Boy the power levels in this manga are gonna be getting pretty high

Vise the Stompy
Mar 26, 2006

This cosmic dance; bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively. But, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend....Peace!
Doctor Rope

RatHat posted:

MarriageToxin: Even with so much bullshit he's still weaker than the top 3 of the beast clan, the Tiger, Wolf, and Elephant clans? Boy the power levels in this manga are gonna be getting pretty high

Im kind of wondering if those aren't beast clan users but the heads of the other 3 major assassin families and he is just thinking of them in terms of animals

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

Make the Exorcist Fall in Love: I think it's really obvious that the singer girl made a deal with Asmodeus to get her supernaturally good singing talent and the 40 days thing is Asmodeus coming for the payment, right? That being said, I am looking forward for this series take on Romcom.

Priest is going to have to Kabebon lilith at least once this arc or it is not worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Vise the Stompy posted:

Im kind of wondering if those aren't beast clan users but the heads of the other 3 major assassin families and he is just thinking of them in terms of animals

that's how I read it as well