Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Good-Natured Filth posted:

All this hype for TotK had me dust off my copy of BotW and play it last night. According to my save, I hadn't played since Dec 2018. I have all shrines and beat the DLC, so I figured I'd wander around and try to find some more Korok seeds. I started the night with 283 seeds. Looked at my Hero's Path to see areas I hadn't touched and tried to focus there to get more. A couple hours later, and I was at 295 Korok seeds. You'd think the world would just be saturated with Korok puzzles with 900 seeds being out there, but the map really is big enough to spread things out. I'm sure I missed some in areas I explored, too, because it's very easy to overlook things.

Also, I totally forgot how to play the game and was getting wrecked by every enemy I stumbled upon.

Start over from the beginning. I can’t count how many times I’ve done that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Good-Natured Filth posted:

I'm sure I missed some in areas I explored, too, because it's very easy to overlook things.

Almost certainly, there's a bunch of types that are very easy to miss. Like a nut in a hole in some fallen tree trunk or a rock under a pile of flammable leaves.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Okay, I found two more seeds pinwheels!! and made it to the second village. Game is so good

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

precision posted:

Okay, I found two more seeds pinwheels!! and made it to the second village. Game is so good

The game is so good that I have no idea which one you mean by the “second” village.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

press A to Yah!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Vikar Jerome posted:

Only good thing WW has going for it is the artstyle. Bad zelda game otherwise.

i will eat your liver with fava beans and a nice chianti

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Vikar Jerome posted:

YOU'RE a bad zelda game otherwise

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Vikar Jerome posted:

Hmmmmmm totk... >botw???? (Yes, without even playing it, its obvious)

This isn’t exactly a wild assumption, it’s been explicitly a sequel ever since it was announced lol

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Vikar Jerome posted:

Wizard Master in disguise

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

Vikar Jerome posted:

Combat is easy but extremely satisfying, the only one that truly lets you mow down enemies by the dozen. Dungeon puzzle rooms slap, particularly the command melody stuff, though I wish dungeons were unified rather than puzzle room after puzzle room. Story is best in the franchise without question, whatever is second best is waaaaay down. The open world is amazing (I love the sailing, pretty much never fast travel). Music was franchise-best until BotW.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Found out that the Online Coupon things (two games on the list for $100) can be redeemed for more games than initially listed on the page, so when I got one for TotK I went ahead and used the other one for BotW (I had the WiiU version, my system died years ago). So there's my thing for the next month.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Am this WW chat is really making me crave another playthrough....but my Wii U's just sitting here beside me, reminding me I can't get it to work right any more :sigh:

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

WW is actually the best Zelda game although TotK might change that

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Vikar Jerome posted:

I'm going to beat you up in minecraft zelda

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

Story is best in the franchise without question, whatever is second best is waaaaay down.

Much as I like Sad Ganon Covets The Wind iunno if I'd rank it that far above Majora. Or LA.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

madmatt112 posted:

Wizard Master in disguise

naw, wizard master's posts are good

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Much as I like Sad Ganon Covets The Wind iunno if I'd rank it that far above Majora. Or LA.

I think it's the best "traditional" Zelda story for sure. MM is probably my favorite overall though, and LA is up there too.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Majora fair. Link's Awakening is among the worst, imo, nothing happens, the whole story is "find the eight things" with no development in between. It's a fun game, but it's really just an excuse for neat dungeons, not a compelling story in itself.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Flint_Paper posted:

Hang the gently caress on. What??

This game. Good grief.
Right?! I never heard or found that one either.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I really like how they did the Koroks. WAY more than you'd ever need aside from a useless "you got them" trophy, you just poke something that seems unusual, get a seed, and suddenly you notice that everywhere. One more way to find them.

Imagine if they'd only had, say, 100 total and there were five of each different way to find them somewhere in the world. It'd be terrible.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Majora fair. Link's Awakening is among the worst, imo, nothing happens, the whole story is "find the eight things" with no development in between. It's a fun game, but it's really just an excuse for neat dungeons, not a compelling story in itself.

:crossarms:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I hope that when you fuse something to your shield, it changes how you shield surf.

I wonder if you'll be able to do windbombing but, like, on purpose.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

I think realizing Marin and everyone else was gone might've been the first time I teared up at a game. In my heart Marin is the one for Link, and even though I know there are infinite Links, ai still have him just roll past all the Zelda's and rutos and malons of the worlds. Link's soulmate is just a dream, probably why Ganon can never stay sealed. Link is missing the middle of the triforce because the fish woke up.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Fusing white chu jelly to your shield to create frictionless ice beneath you as you surf would be amazing.

or red jelly to make sick flames shoot out behind you and raze the countryside.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Khanstant posted:

I think realizing Marin and everyone else was gone might've been the first time I teared up at a game. In my heart Marin is the one for Link, and even though I know there are infinite Links, ai still have him just roll past all the Zelda's and rutos and malons of the worlds. Link's soulmate is just a dream, probably why Ganon can never stay sealed. Link is missing the middle of the triforce because the fish woke up.

This but with Midna

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I mean personally my headcanon is that webcomic where ganondorf decides to shortcircut the entire process and do a political marriage with Zelda in the process adopting the next Link with realizing it.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I rebuke timelines. Except for the case of direct sequels, each game is just a different retelling of the same legend. Kind of like ancient flood stories or creation myths.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

I like to solve puzzles and hit monsters.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

Khanstant posted:

Oh come on. You talk to her like, three times in the entire game.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Honestly, I can't argue with this. I have fond memories of playing Link's Awakening, but it was more in a "well, this is the only Zelda you can play portably" way than thinking it was great on its own. I'd usually get bored or frustrated a few dungeons in. Locking off most of the overworld annoyed me and the story, while I feel is objectively good enough, didn't do anything for me save that one cutscene with Marin at the beach.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Marin = Tidus
Link = Yuna

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Oh come on. You talk to her like, three times in the entire game.

I don't think you need deep characterization or lore to have an affecting plot. Like, Wind Waker is a good example you would be hard pressed to describe the King of Red Lions' personality, but the scene where the King chooses to drown is still super sad and poignant. I'm not sure why or how tbh.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Since TotK will probably deal with time travel in some capacity I wonder if we’ll get any nods to Age of Calamity(even though that seems to be a separate timeline). Maybe a Terrako cameo?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

RatHat posted:

Since TotK will probably deal with time travel in some capacity I wonder if we’ll get any nods to Age of Calamity(even though that seems to be a separate timeline). Maybe a Terrako cameo?

Links sees the timeline where one sword swing kills forty enemies at once and refuses to go back home.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Khanstant posted:

absolutely unhinged post

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I rebuke timelines. Except for the case of direct sequels, each game is just a different retelling of the same legend. Kind of like ancient flood stories or creation myths.

:hai:

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

mycot posted:

I don't think you need deep characterization or lore to have an affecting plot. Like, Wind Waker is a good example you would be hard pressed to describe the King of Red Lions' personality, but the scene where the King chooses to drown is still super sad and poignant. I'm not sure why or how tbh.

Red Lions is both your companion character throughout the game and the character driving the narrative/telling you where to go next. He's a major character, of course we're sad when he goes.

In Link's Awakening, the equivalent character is uh, some fuckin bird?

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

RatHat posted:

I'm rooting pretty heavily for them to bring back the VAs for Purah and Robbie, especially since the artbook leak shows Purah in adult form that's basically the same model as in AoC

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

I think Purah is the one saying "you are not alone" in the new trailer? Sounded like her AoC voice

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

RatHat posted:

"Hey Link, isn't it weird how the only thing missing from my old study was Terrako? I wonder where it went. Oh well, let's keep exploring this cave, surely nothing bad will happen."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

I think Purah is the one saying "you are not alone" in the new trailer? Sounded like her AoC voice

Ooooh good catch - just listened and yeah, that’s totally her! Awesome!