Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
One of my climbing friends also recommended The Climb, on HBO. Sorry, Max.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Papercut posted:

One of my climbing friends also recommended The Climb, on HBO. Sorry, Max.

The Climb is good. Between that and The Big Brunch, Max seems to attempting to corner the market on positive "I am here to make friends" reality competitions.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
From is free to watch on mgm plus, presumably because season 2 is about to start.

It's basically "LOST by Stephen King" and has good production values, is actually scary, and the mystery is compelling. Deffo scratches the itch

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

precision posted:

From is free to watch on mgm plus, presumably because season 2 is about to start.

It's basically "LOST by Stephen King" and has good production values, is actually scary, and the mystery is compelling. Deffo scratches the itch

It doesn't appear to actually be by Stephen King in case that was scaring anyone away like it was me

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
According to my guy* on the inside there’s gonna be two new episodes of Barry on HBO tonight.

Kimmel, he doesn’t know we’re good buds yet

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

precision posted:

Thanks for bringing this up. I had forgotten about it and now know season 2 starts this week!

Seconding that it’s good, definitely worth checking out.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

precision posted:

The important thing about every mystery box show, do they actually give answers to the mysteries they set up?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I’m just getting around to mandolarian season 3 and this poo poo has jumped the shark. Good god this is bad.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Yea I haven’t bothered with the new season yet past the first ep. I’m not sure what the show is supposed to even be other than a baby yoda toy commercial

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

A MIRACLE posted:

Yea I haven’t bothered with the new season yet past the first ep. I’m not sure what the show is supposed to even be other than a baby yoda toy commercial

Which is interesting because I saw an article the other day complaining about the lack of baby Yoda this season.

veni veni veni posted:

I’m just getting around to mandolarian season 3 and this poo poo has jumped the shark. Good god this is bad.

My thought is that maybe you like the story of the week of the first two seasons? It seems like this season is becoming much more a sequel to The Clone Wars and Rebels, leading into the Ahsoka series, and setting things up for their recently announce multi-year arc across multiple shows, and culminating in Dave Filoni's movie.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Also feels like they're trying to clean up Rise of Skywalker's mess.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

live with fruit posted:

Quite deliberately so. I'm pretty sure this week we saw Gideon walk by failed Snoke clone tanks?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Can’t they just make new ones without Rey or Adam driver

Just make the young jedi academy novels into a trilogy it was better than anything in the sequels. Or do thrawn. Or even the loving crystal star. I wholesale reject Disney canon

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

A MIRACLE posted:

Can’t they just make new ones without Rey or Adam driver

Just make the young jedi academy novels into a trilogy it was better than anything in the sequels. Or do thrawn. Or even the loving crystal star

I don't think this multi-medium mullti-year arc has anything to do with either one of those. The Rey movie apparently will take place 10 years after the disastrous Rise of Skywalker, and will be directed by Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy, who ran Ms Marvel. It will supposedly come out before Dave Filoni's movie.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

live with fruit posted:

it is inevitable that every new star wars tries to "fix" the previous star wars while often making an even bigger mess

but since I don't think disney is going to torpedo their own trilogy and say "nvm can we have a do over?" I understand the urge by Filoni/etc to try and salvage it, much in the same way he tried to bridge the bizarre gap between EpII and III

A MIRACLE posted:

Or do thrawn.

lol good news

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nihonniboku posted:

Which is interesting because I saw an article the other day complaining about the lack of baby Yoda this season.

My thought is that maybe you like the story of the week of the first two seasons? It seems like this season is becoming much more a sequel to The Clone Wars and Rebels, leading into the Ahsoka series, and setting things up for their recently announce multi-year arc across multiple shows, and culminating in Dave Filoni's movie.

That's probably a safe bet. I think even saying I liked the second season would be an overstatement. It was watchable. Season 1 was a blast though. Tbh even before Disney, I have always thought almost everything with the Star Wars name on it aside from the original three movies was terrible. So Mando season 1 being a lot of OT fan service and and it being a different adventure every week was pretty enjoyable I guess. Now we are in loving prequel territory :barf: and it's clearly doing that Marvel thing where it wants me to watch all of the other dumb spinoffs too and it ain't happening.

Also Everything involving the Mandalorians is so bad. Just a bunch of dorks hanging out on a beach doing karate and shooting paintballs at each other while getting attacked by a different dragon every day. They seem so dumb and incompetent. I hate them I hope they all get eaten by a dragon. The side story with the scientist is not only boring but barely registers as Star Wars to me. Also the new gimmick for this season seems to be that baby yoda flips around all over the place all the time and it looks stupid as gently caress, like someone is tossing a plushie around.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Bring back Lucas arts you cowards

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

That's probably a safe bet. I think even saying I liked the second season would be an overstatement. It was watchable. Season 1 was a blast though. Tbh even before Disney, I have always thought almost everything with the Star Wars name on it aside from the original three movies was terrible. So Mando season 1 being a lot of OT fan service and and it being a different adventure every week was pretty enjoyable I guess. Now we are in loving prequel territory :barf: and it's clearly doing that Marvel thing where it wants me to watch all of the other dumb spinoffs too and it ain't happening.

Also Everything involving the Mandalorians is so bad. Just a bunch of dorks hanging out on a beach doing karate and shooting paintballs at each other while getting attacked by a different dragon every day. They seem so dumb and incompetent. I hate them I hope they all get eaten by a dragon. The side story with the scientist is not only boring but barely registers as Star Wars to me. Also the new gimmick for this season seems to be that baby yoda flips around all over the place all the time and it looks stupid as gently caress.

I know the mandolorian club seems sooo lame. Like shouldn’t they be a bunch of dangerous leather clad mad max highwaymen or something. They just seem like total dorks

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I think the more they try to work in other, less successful plotlines from any of the other countless shows, the more it sucks.

I don't take Mandalorian deeply seriously, it's a show with constant reaction shots of a guy wearing a helmet, and it's an OK idea to make it a test bed for theme park ride concepts.

But yeah the other mandalorians have zero character. I think they are going for a Conan the Barbarian vibe and they're not selling it hard enough, and there's just too much stuff going on way outside the show's original wheelhouse. I knew there was trouble when almost an entire episode was about characters on Coruscant who we were originally not meant to give too much of a poo poo about. I could not believe how long that took, and there's going to be more.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

A MIRACLE posted:

I will forgive Disney for a lot of poo poo if they do a new Sam & Max series.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Nihonniboku posted:

The important thing about every mystery box show, do they actually give answers to the mysteries they set up?

The vibes I got from the first season was a strong no. Still a fun show, but it doesn't feel like they have a cohesive plan.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I really hate the term "mystery box"

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Where do you stand on ‘enigma cube’ though

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, Mando already started getting wobbly in season 2 (though Giancarlo Esposito owned), but when it I learned that they put major plot developments into an entirely different, inferior show I basically lost all investment I had left for season 3. Stop loving around with goddamn multiverses and crossovers. Just tell a single story about a single guy.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I have the feeling they introduced all the other mandalorians so the audience could see some people get exploded while wearing that outfit. Unless they take off their helmet, then they're in it until the last third of the season at least.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Where do you stand on ‘enigma cube’ though
Maybe one of these suckers

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

A MIRACLE posted:

They did. It's just a licensing arm though. They don't do any actual game development.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I just wanted Mandalorian to continue to do weekly, low stakes for the universe missions. Not every show has to be about the rise/fall of the empire.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Medullah posted:

I just wanted Mandalorian to continue to do weekly, low stakes for the universe missions. Not every show has to be about the rise/fall of the empire.
For me the first two episodes of the first season were what I wanted the show to be

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

mystes posted:

For me the first two episodes of the first season were what I wanted the show to be

When Baby Yoda first showed up, I went "uh oh, now the show is about this" but they kept it interesting for a while. I loved that first season and liked the second season too but not as much.

One Star Wars fact that surprised me and has stuck in my head ever since is that with all of the movies and books and shows we still don't have a name for whatever species Yoda is. (Haven't seen Mando 3, maybe it has finally been decided)

Like, we know what the Cantina guys are, what many (all?) of the pod racers are, and hell we even know what Dexter Jettster is. I just think it's wild we've gone this many years without someone just saying he's a "Womble and being done with it.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Jolo posted:

One Star Wars fact that surprised me and has stuck in my head ever since is that with all of the movies and books and shows we still don't have a name for whatever species Yoda is. (Haven't seen Mando 3, maybe it has finally been decided)

No, I think it's purposeful at this point. They did reveal in Star Wars Tales of the Jedi that Yaddle (the girl Yoda in Episode 1) talked normally, not with the weird way Yoda talked. And they did show how Grogu escaped the purge this season in a flashback, we saw Grogu remember how a jedi helped him flee the Jedi Temple. This Jedi was quite a bad rear end, and was played by Ahmed Best, who played Jar Jar Binks in the prequels. This Jedi was apparently a character he presented as the host of a Star Wars game show that aired on youtube apparently

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I am probably in the target audience for Mando season 3, and while it is definitely below the previous seasons, there are a couple of really fun sequences. They are pretty few and far between though.

It still maintains the core loop of Mando gets the poo poo kicked out of him and someone else comes in to save his rear end.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Medullah posted:

Not every show has to be about the rise/fall of the empire.

citation needed

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

veni veni veni posted:

It's bad but have you seen the part where baby yoda gets his own robot to walk around in!?

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Jolo posted:

When Baby Yoda first showed up, I went "uh oh, now the show is about this" but they kept it interesting for a while. I loved that first season and liked the second season too but not as much.

I had the same dread but it's largely been fine. But it's difficult to blame production companies since this stuff is just catnip for fans: introduce a gimmick character, cute animal / robot, memsble moment and fans will do all your publicity work for you.

On other, non-Stars Wars moments, I posted a few weeks ago about how I had started watching the latest Korean drama to be loved by the chattering classes, The Glory, on Netflix. I wasn't feeling it but was out sick one weekend and ended up watching all of it. And it's actually a decent show. There's a few too many K-pop montages, a lot of scenes with people screaming at each other, some difficult to watch bullying scenes that verge into torture, but it's a solid revenge story with several plot twists and some surprisingly good characterisation. It has 16 episodes and doesn't start working until about the 5th but may be worth a look.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Nihonniboku posted:

I'm almost done with season 1 and kinda hell no. So far there's literally no good explanation. poo poo is really hosed so the only actual explanations that work are like "it's a dream" or "it's a video game"

I would compare it more in that way to something like Squid Game, kinda? Like, it's a surreal environment

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Nihonniboku posted:

This is what is annoying me about Yellowjackets. They already have said "we're going 5 seasons and we're not gonna answer literally anything now" and the chances of this show being good after 3 more seasons is just zero.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

mcmagic posted:

This is what is annoying me about Yellowjackets. They already have said "we're going 5 seasons and we're not gonna answer literally anything now" and the chances of this show being good after 3 more seasons is just zero.

And it's on Showtime too, and most of their shows don't maintain their quality beyond a couple of seasons. We did have that major event so far this season, but it also feels like they're treading water, especially with Melanie Lynskey's story.

I think Yellowjackets is a different kind of beast though, and not so much a mystery box show like Lost or Severance, since it's more just showing us all the hosed up things the girls did in the wilderness, and how it still affects them to the present. Unless they decide to dive deep into whether something magic is going on out there, which I don't think is necessary.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
speaking of mystery box, "The Big Door Prize" is more entertaining than I expected, but maybe that's just because I finished slogging through Hello Tomorrow! (side note below). BDP has a moment or two every episode that makes me laugh pretty hard.

The show isn't overly mystery box-y. It centers around the results from a strange item that shows up, but at least 5 episodes in, the interest of the show and plot lines are not at all hinging on the how or why the item shows up, just what people do with the results. Definitely still has that Apple TV+ kinda middle-of-the-road trying to please everyone sort of thing.

For anyone else that finished Hello Tomorrow!, was it at all jarring to anyone else that not only is a character's hand brutally disintegrated in a toaster, but they functionally send an entire cabin of people off to their deaths at the end? I thought the inciting incident in episode 1 of the truck backing into whatsherface was weirdly more violent than everything else, but it kinda jumped up in that area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Glottis posted:

speaking of mystery box, "The Big Door Prize" is more entertaining than I expected, but maybe that's just because I finished slogging through Hello Tomorrow! (side note below). BDP has a moment or two every episode that makes me laugh pretty hard.

The show isn't overly mystery box-y. It centers around the results from a strange item that shows up, but at least 5 episodes in, the interest of the show and plot lines are not at all hinging on the how or why the item shows up, just what people do with the results. Definitely still has that Apple TV+ kinda middle-of-the-road trying to please everyone sort of thing.

I'm still trying to decide if I like this show or not 4 episodes in, though I'm leaning towards not. Tonally it's just very strange, all of the characters have such a cartoonish unreality to them that I was convinced the first episode was a dream sequence until it became clear that wasn't what they were going for.