Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

So then why are you saying "Wet bulb temps are scary as gently caress"? The only time I ever worried about them was when I was in tech school in the air force and it magically changed from black flag to red flag at PT time in the afternoon. Then, when PT was over, it magically changed back to black flag conditions again.

I'm not sure what your time training for the chair force has to do with this beyond some kind of Dunning-Kruger thing.

quote:

Even heat-adapted people cannot carry out normal outdoor activities past a wet-bulb temperature of 32 °C (90 °F), equivalent to a heat index of 55 °C (130 °F). The theoretical limit to human survival for more than a few hours in the shade, even with unlimited water, is a wet-bulb temperature of 35 °C (95 °F) – equivalent to a heat index of 70 °C (160 °F).[3]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What the gently caress are you talking about? It sounds like you all heard a phrase in a TV show and now think that "wet bulb globe temperature" always means dangerously high temperatures.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

ShowTime posted:

The Tetris movie is available now, anyone watched it yet? Suppose to be pretty dang good. Taron Egerton can basically do no wrong in my eyes. I've loved everything he's done since The Kingsman.

Just finished watching it. Thought it was fantastic. And I never knew Tetris’ origins, the music makes so much sense now.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

So then why are you saying "Wet bulb temps are scary as gently caress"? The only time I ever worried about them was when I was in tech school in the air force and it magically changed from black flag to red flag at PT time in the afternoon. Then, when PT was over, it magically changed back to black flag conditions again.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2022/jul/31/why-you-need-to-worry-about-the-wet-bulb-temperature

quote:

Humans usually regulate their internal body temperature by sweating, but above the wet-bulb temperature, we can no longer cool down this way, leading our body temperature to rise steadily. This essentially marks a limit to human adaptability to extreme heat – if we cannot escape the conditions, our body’s core can rise beyond the survivable range and organs can start failing.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Tetris movie was great. Definitely worth watching.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

D-Pad posted:

Tetris movie was great. Definitely worth watching.

Read this as Tesla movie for a second and got confused. Also made me think of how much potential there would be for a WeCrashed style take on Musk given how much really stupid poo poo he’s done. Guessing he would sue anyone who tried, though.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Chairman Capone posted:

Read this as Tesla movie for a second and got confused. Also made me think of how much potential there would be for a WeCrashed style take on Musk given how much really stupid poo poo he’s done. Guessing he would sue anyone who tried, though.

I keep saying it would be perfect for Sorkin to write Social Network 2

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Wet bulb temperature is just a way of measuring the temperature and humidity together. That's like saying the Richter scale is scary because a 9.0 earthquake will kill you.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
The problem is that there isn’t a great name for the specific wet bulb temperature at which the body can no longer cool itself.

So people have been referring to it as “wet bulb conditions” and “the wet bulb temperature”.

We should spend time workshopping a good name for it instead of going around in circles.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Critical wet bulb temperature.

Done.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Too wet bulb temperature.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Sopping wet bulb temperature

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Another Wet Bulb 34 episode of Extrapolations, I enjoyed it. Generational character Ezra forgets a whale, and gains a family. Also, Cloud storage sucks.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I enjoyed the back half of that episode more than the front.

Overall, I'd rank it as 5th best episode of Extrapolations so far. The string of episodes from #2 to 5 were just great. More people should watch this show.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
It sounds like maybe it ended alright, but I didn’t care for the episode; it wasn’t really connected to the climate change theme like the other stories and I didn’t like the character.

I stopped watching when he decided to charge the lady for sex. I get that he was desperate but that’s very low. Also the whole idea where the little girl has been lied to by everyone to the point that she’s calling him “daddy” is hosed up. Also the whole story. I guess that’s the point but it made me lose interest in the show altogether.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Tetris movie good and wife approved.

Also “fun fact” that the sister/daughter of the bad English guys is Ghislaine Maxwell.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
I also enjoyed the Tetris movie and the girlfriend pointed out that same fact which blew my mind. Also while I'm pretty sure they played fast and loose with the truth of the story in that movie, the couple clips of real life Henk's trip to Moscow make me pretty convinced that the real Henk really was that insanely reckless.

Steve Yun posted:

I keep saying it would be perfect for Sorkin to write Social Network 2

Supposedly the guy who did the Theranos and Scientology documentaries for HBO is doing an Elon Musk one now, so that will probably be an insanely well researched takedown of the insufferable prick.

Talorat fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Apr 9, 2023

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Extrapolations is getting bleak as poo poo. I wonder if they are going to do a final far future everything got better or everything is completely gone episode?

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Watched the latest Extrapolations, maybe the bleakest yet. It oddly reminded me of Stephen Baxter's Titan with the young Artist who crafts their art out of bodily waste and the back to the wild movement. Hopefully they nail the finale.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
The new extrapolations was great. Guess the geoengineering from a few episodes ago only made things worse. I hope this show has a bleak ending. More people need to be upset about global warming.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Apr 15, 2023

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Is anyone watching s2 of Schmigadoon?

This season has gone to a grittier Schmicago. There are influences from Hair, Chicago, Sweeny Todd and more

If you love anything musical theatre related you’ll love this self-aware pastiche.

https://youtu.be/wece6G6oIjc

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Andrew_1985 posted:

Is anyone watching s2 of Schmigadoon?

This season has gone to a grittier Schmicago. There are influences from Hair, Chicago, Sweeny Todd and more

If you love anything musical theatre related you’ll love this self-aware pastiche.

https://youtu.be/wece6G6oIjc

I am liking it, though not quite as much as the first season, though that is mostly just the setting.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I am, and I loving love it. Also god drat Jane Krakowski is 54 and can still do the splits, what am I doing with my life :smith:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm enjoying this season more than the first one, though the Hippie subplot seems to be some specific musical reference that I just don't know.

Hawkperson posted:

I am, and I loving love it. Also god drat Jane Krakowski is 54 and can still do the splits, what am I doing with my life :smith:

Yeah holy poo poo some of the poo poo she pulled during that number. Didn't look like most of that was doubled either.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Krakowski’s number and Bustin Out were both really cool

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I generally don't like musicals, so I like the show because it makes fun of musicals.
I think this season is just a musical era I dislike more, and they seem to have ramped up the number of songs per episode.
The show is still good though

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
The Bells and Whistles number was amazing, Krakowski is a Tony winner and it shows. The hippie subplot is Hair/Sweet Charity/Grease/Jesus Christ Superstar as far as I can tell.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

angerbeet posted:

The Bells and Whistles number was amazing, Krakowski is a Tony winner and it shows. The hippie subplot is Hair/Sweet Charity/Grease/Jesus Christ Superstar as far as I can tell.

Fair amount of Godspell in there too I think.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I do think the second season is really heavy on pastiche, though, and I don’t know if I prefer that from the more original songs from season one.

Like, here’s Bells and Whistles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wece6G6oIjc

And it’s a great performance but all the beats are pretty recognizable. You got a little Chicago, a little Chorus Line, a little Company. It’s good, sure, but then you have Kaputt from the first or second episode, and it’s … good but it’s also Cabaret with different words.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Extrapolations has been insanely good. Top three new shows of the year, IMO.

I also really enjoyed the Hello, Tomorrow! finale (I thought the penultimate episode was a bit bum) and hope it gets renewed. Smart move to change the show's location for next season and I hope the show can lean into something a bit meaner with its new set-ups, but I still really enjoyed the very odd, very silly show.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Watched some of The Big Door Prize and whoever said it had Lodge 49 (rip) vibes was spot on.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

angerbeet posted:

I do think the second season is really heavy on pastiche, though, and I don’t know if I prefer that from the more original songs from season one.

Like, here’s Bells and Whistles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wece6G6oIjc

And it’s a great performance but all the beats are pretty recognizable. You got a little Chicago, a little Chorus Line, a little Company. It’s good, sure, but then you have Kaputt from the first or second episode, and it’s … good but it’s also Cabaret with different words.

yeah I wonder if the focus testing revealed that all the musical nerds love identifying the references and all the non-nerds enjoy the music either way so why not lean hard into just changing the lyrics to songs that have already been written? The characters seem to be the same way; I might be misremembering but I feel like most of the musical characters last season were more little pieces of several characters from several musicals, whereas this time it's like oh hey that's literally Sweeney Todd with Mrs. Lovett's job.

My favorite song so far this season has been the Chicago "does this SHOCK you?" mostly because of Cecily Strong and Keegan Michael Key's expressions.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Open Source Idiom posted:

Extrapolations has been insanely good. Top three new shows of the year, IMO.

I also really enjoyed the Hello, Tomorrow! finale (I thought the penultimate episode was a bit bum) and hope it gets renewed. Smart move to change the show's location for next season and I hope the show can lean into something a bit meaner with its new set-ups, but I still really enjoyed the very odd, very silly show.

Some of the episode seem to miss a little, but as an anthology I think it works well. I love how well they do the mixture of a decaying, dying planet mixed with new, advanced technology. A city block, covered in trash and thick smog, but all the windows are touch screen, cell phones are integrated directly into your brain, allowing for augmented reality, drones deliver everything, etc. It's practical, but fiction. 50 years ago, homes barely had color television. In 50 years, of course we'll have technology integrated directly into us.

Also, holy heck did they get some stars. Every episode basically has 3-10 AAA level actors. A lot of them are doing it because of the topic, but the budget for this show still must be off the charts.

I don't think it's gonna win any kind of awards, but it's still a good show. Like a 7/10 for me.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
I couldn’t make it through first episode of Extrapolations.

The very first scene of the show has a holo-protestor (lol) talking about the 2015 Paris Accords like the climate change Rubicon moment, invoking Greta Thunberg, etc. You couldn’t convince me that anyone today cares about those subjects, let alone people in a near-future climate-ravaged hellscape.

I toughed it out for a bit, hoping I’d catch some sick cli-fi visuals, but all I got was direct-to-video SyFy-level production value smog filters and lovely acting/writing. And it was boring. No thanks, not for me.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
You could kind of skip around Extrapolations and it not affect your understanding of the show. It's an anthology show, and while there is a little bit of connectivity, it's loose. There is a major event in the middle of the series and I swear it hasn't even affected things. I just finished Episode 7 and it was lovely and basically completely standalone. One of my favorite episodes and I loved the twist at the end.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Extrapolations a’ight. The latest episode was really good, and I liked the Daveed Diggs ones and the Ed Norton one. The dude-for-hire one was fine. Whale one was bad and I really don’t get what people itt saw in episode 5.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

Whale one was bad

I watched the whale one with my (climate activist) mum and we both cried so unfortunately you are wrong.

DO NOT ARGUE WITH SCIENCE.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

The first episode was one of the worst ones IMO but several episodes have been outright great. I really enjoyed the smuggler guy in India. This last one was pretty meh. I wouldn't skip the whole thing based on one episode since they are only loosely connected and vary widely in quality.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

eighty-four merc posted:

I couldn’t make it through first episode of Extrapolations.
The first time round I made it seven minutes. The first two lines didn't help (IIRC) - Q: Do You Need Anything? A: Just For People To Listen. :barf: Ignoring the smug first-draft isn't-this-so-importantism, I'm going to indulge in tactical realism for a second and say that you don't distract the talent by asking if they need anything ten seconds before they go live!

eighty-four merc posted:

The very first scene of the show has a holo-protestor (lol) talking about the 2015 Paris Accords like the climate change Rubicon moment, invoking Greta Thunberg, etc. You couldn’t convince me that anyone today cares about those subjects, let alone people in a near-future climate-ravaged hellscape.
Yeah, it's full of that sort of thing. In a later episode a hacker-punk-druggie-type guy reels off non-sequitur statistics about parts-per-million that no-one on the street would know, as if it's supposed to be significant and informing everyone's day-to-day.

It works best when it's more oblique, like with the smugglers episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Looks like Mythic Quest lost F. Murray Abraham not to White Lotus... but to method acting.

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-mov...-tv-1234714869/