Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
I saw "Abigail's Party" by Mike Leigh a couple years ago, specifically the BBC production. I'm curious if there other "recorded stage plays" (don't know how else to put it) that are worth checking out? Doesn't need to be BBC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
The film adaptations of Harold Pinter's The Homecoming and The Birthday Party instantly come to mind.

Doubly so if names like Ian Holm, Robert Shaw and William Friedkin spur interest.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

For film proper, David Mamet's Glengarry Glen Ross.

What you really want though is the BBC show Play for Today, though Wikipedia says it had a predecessor and successors you can look up. Apparently that's where that Abigail's Party production came from, though I was going to mention this before learning that. I specifically recommend Dennis Potter (that must've been how I found out about it), who wrote well-regarded "plays" and miniseries straight for television. Among those I double recommend the TV version of Brimstone and Treacle, but I emphasize not the weak film version made just because the BBC made the thing then wouldn't air it. It still gets put on as a stage play now and again.

Onomarchus fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 25, 2023

harpomarxist
Oct 7, 2007

Useless twat opinions from everybody's favorite British coffee shop revolutionary!
The Reflecting Skin by Phil Ridley, a first film that is on par with any of his plays

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Thanks all for the suggestions, I've got Pinter's Homecoming queued up.

Onomarchus posted:

For film proper, David Mamet's Glengarry Glen Ross.

Yeah, for a more recent take "The Hateful Eight" also fits the bill.

FueledBySatan
Nov 26, 2006

We are but men
I wanna see the best found footage movie from the last tear or two. I usually keep up with them as they come out, but it's been a while. I recently have watched Noroi, Cult, and The Outwaters. I loved Grave Encounters, Deadstream, The Cleansing Hour, Hell House, Troll Hunter, and a ton of others.

Speaking niche horror genres. Are there any good anthology horror from the last few years?

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

FueledBySatan posted:

I wanna see the best found footage movie from the last tear or two. I usually keep up with them as they come out, but it's been a while. I recently have watched Noroi, Cult, and The Outwaters. I loved Grave Encounters, Deadstream, The Cleansing Hour, Hell House, Troll Hunter, and a ton of others.

It's four years old, but Gonjiam Haunted Asylum is pretty good. Also The Medium, from a couple years ago (tho it's a little long)

FueledBySatan
Nov 26, 2006

We are but men

Black Lighter posted:

It's four years old, but Gonjiam Haunted Asylum is pretty good. Also The Medium, from a couple years ago (tho it's a little long)

Freaking awesome! Gonjiam is free on Youtube (with ads). I'm in.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

FueledBySatan posted:

Speaking niche horror genres. Are there any good anthology horror from the last few years?

The VHS series is pretty good on both fronts

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Incantation on Netflix is very good

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

A discussion about Singular Point in the Kaiju thread has me craving movies that demand you pay attention and reward you for it. Movies where the creator is trying to get something very complex across but if you follow along you'll go "Holy poo poo!" when something happens.

The only examples that I can come up with are Godzilla: Singular Point, the part in Primer where they explain what the box does, maybe the novel Blindsight and the Chinese Box moment.

They don't have to be sci-fi, Those are just the ones that spring to mind at the moment.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Well I would say Tenet but you've probably already seen it and also everybody (rightly) hates it as bro-core thinks it's smart but ain't. So I'm going to go with uhh Two Minutes into the Infinite.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Gripweed posted:

A discussion about Singular Point in the Kaiju thread has me craving movies that demand you pay attention and reward you for it. Movies where the creator is trying to get something very complex across but if you follow along you'll go "Holy poo poo!" when something happens.

The only examples that I can come up with are Godzilla: Singular Point, the part in Primer where they explain what the box does, maybe the novel Blindsight and the Chinese Box moment.

They don't have to be sci-fi, Those are just the ones that spring to mind at the moment.

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy does not your hold hand and expects you to pick up on a lot of subtle moments.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Lampsacus posted:

Well I would say Tenet but you've probably already seen it and also everybody (rightly) hates it as bro-core thinks it's smart but ain't. So I'm going to go with uhh Two Minutes into the Infinite.

I have not seen it because of, yeah all the jokes about how dumb it actually was. Beyond the Infinite Two Minutes sounds interesting

BioTech posted:

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy does not your hold hand and expects you to pick up on a lot of subtle moments.

I'll check that one out, thanks

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

For puzzle films, which I guess is what this is, I don't think you're going to do better than Primer already, but for a runner-up it's probably Memento, maybe The Prestige. I've not seen Tenet, but I see the connection there. I don't know how many people even try to make this kind of film in earnest, and myself I think audio drama is a superior medium for it due to the greater possibility for subterfuge with audio-only.

A Matter of Life and Death can fit the bill, but the puzzle may well have no solution. I personally missed what I regard as a big Holy poo poo moment and had to read about it after.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Primer is a great one as is the directors follow up Upstream Color.

oceanside
Nov 4, 2009
Can anyone recommend some movies with what you might call 'old timey dialogue'? Something like Deadwood (which I understand is a unique exaggeration of Old West ways of speaking) or period movies like Lincoln or The Hateful Eight. Ideally I'm looking for stuff that isn't a Western. Thank you!

oceanside fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 27, 2023

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

oceanside posted:

Can anyone recommend some movies with what you might call 'old timey dialogue'? Something like Deadwood (which I understand is a unique exaggeration of Old West ways of speaking) or period movies like Lincoln or The Hateful Eight. Ideally I'm looking for stuff that isn't a Western. Thank you!

The VVitch

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

oceanside posted:

The Age of Innocence

Barry Lyndon

Rocky (only half joking. Captures a very specific patois of a certain time, place, and economic demographic. Plus it's a fantastic movie, a 2 hour boxing movie with about 15 minutes of boxing)

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Not sure if you’re only looking for period pieces, but… If you’re game for something more relatively contemporary but with an older throwback style of dialogue then Brick may be worth your time.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Miller's Crossing / True Grit from the Coen Brothers

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello
Tombstone in particular Val Kilmer as Doc Holliday

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

morestuff posted:

Miller's Crossing / True Grit from the Coen Brothers

Absolutly the Coen Brothers True Grit has all the old timey talking you could ever want.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

oceanside posted:

It's an Australian Western, but The Proposition.

Which is worth watching just because it's loving excellent.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

oceanside posted:

The Lighthouse

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

The Passion of the Christ

oceanside
Nov 4, 2009
Thanks all for these suggestions which are much appreciated!

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Onomarchus posted:

The Passion of the Christ

For another ancient language film, Derek Jarman's 1976 film about St. Sebastian Sebastiane is entirely in Latin.
NSFW Spoiler alert - it is _very_ homoerotic and has at least one shot of a man with an erection.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I'm looking for good, quick-paced but not overly dark thrillers/mysteries. I want mystery and hunting for clues and lots of nuts and bolts investigation, but I'd prefer to stay out of horror or too much violence for the moment. Period pieces always a plus just cause I like them.

My vision board is kind of like Michael Clayton, The Ghost Writer, Pale Blue Eye. With the understanding that the off-screen rape in The Pale Blue Eye is pushing it as far as the amount of dark I want. As much of the movie as reasonably practical should be focused on the mechanics of finding out the secret mysteries. Cool puzzles are always appreciated.

If it's on one of the big streaming services that's a giant plus cause I can watch it tonight, but I'm not married to that.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Xiahou Dun posted:

I'm looking for good, quick-paced but not overly dark thrillers/mysteries. I want mystery and hunting for clues and lots of nuts and bolts investigation, but I'd prefer to stay out of horror or too much violence for the moment. Period pieces always a plus just cause I like them.

My vision board is kind of like Michael Clayton, The Ghost Writer, Pale Blue Eye. With the understanding that the off-screen rape in The Pale Blue Eye is pushing it as far as the amount of dark I want. As much of the movie as reasonably practical should be focused on the mechanics of finding out the secret mysteries. Cool puzzles are always appreciated.

If it's on one of the big streaming services that's a giant plus cause I can watch it tonight, but I'm not married to that.

Have you seen the Glass Onion films?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

therattle posted:

Have you seen the Glass Onion films?

O yeah. Of course. And all of Rian Johnson while we’re at it.

Knives Out should really be listed too now that you mention it. Thanks.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Xiahou Dun posted:

O yeah. Of course. And all of Rian Johnson while we’re at it.

Knives Out should really be listed too now that you mention it. Thanks.

Have you watched any classic Christie films, like the Poirots?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

All the ones that I’m aware of, but you’re reminding that there must be a master list somewhere. And that’s a good source to check, I probably missed at least one or two.

Thanks.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
You might like some older noirs and mysteries, like The Thin Man, The Maltese Falcon, Witness for the Prosecution, The Third Man, or Rope. HBO Max had a handful of those last I checked

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Have you seen every episode of Columbo?

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Xiahou Dun posted:

If you haven't seen The Last of Sheila, you should definitely check it out, particularly if you liked Glass Onion - it's almost a cover version of Last of Sheila.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Looking for the best movies with the following premise: there’s between four and ten people stuck in a place where bad poo poo is happening but it’s impossible to leave. Alien, The Void, Cabin in the Woods, Event Horizon, Hateful Eight, Bad Times at the El Royale, that one oil rig movie, the m night shymalan one where there are three people in an elevator counts, Predator and Predators kinda but usually the space is more enclosed, what else is in this lane that I’m not thinking of? Saw 2, Cube I guess. I’m pretty sure there are some Westerns im not thinking of too.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 23, 2023

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

The Thing (though looks like that has 12 people if I’m counting right), The Descent and the Evil Dead films spring to mind. Prince of Darkness, Pitch Black and 30 Days of Night too, and the George Romero zombie films.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Climax, Coherence, The Descent, You're Next. Does Attack the Block count? Pretty limited cast to that, at least

Allyn fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Assault on Precinct 13 - and probably the film that always inspires Carpenter, Rio Bravo