Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Frank Frank posted:

Yeeesh. 150 fusings? I think I’ve found like 20 of those over the course of my entire run through the middle of act 5. I am now regretting spending any of those orbs prior to max level because I was trying to min/max gear that would be obsolete in a few levels. Should have known that was dumb from D2.

It's your first run through the campaign, we all do it. It's a good way to learn how the systems work aswell. But the socket/link system is deceptively harsh in how quickly it escalates and it catches new players out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Playing around with orbs is more fun than not. Here is a short list of orbs that can drop in the campaign that you should definitely not click without thinking

Mirror of Kalandra
Divine orb
Exalted orb
Sacred orb
Orb of annulment
Uhh maybe there's other good valuable orb but mostly not until maps

Here is a site that shows the relative value of orbs compared to chaos orbs that might let you check whether stuff is valuable https://poe.ninja/challenge/currency

A single fusing is about 1/3 of a chaos orb. Not terrible to use during the campaign, but focus on 3 linking weapons/shields or 4 linking boots/gloves/helms that you'll plan to use for a while.

Ultimately, though, as long as you're aware that things snowball towards the endgame and that you're never going to play optimally your first run through, or even your twentieth, you'll be fine. Click orbs! Try stuff!

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Orb

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
Magma Orb

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Nothingtoseehere posted:

It's your first run through the campaign, we all do it. It's a good way to learn how the systems work aswell. But the socket/link system is deceptively harsh in how quickly it escalates and it catches new players out.

Slammed the brakes but I’m probably way too late at this point.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Things that drop corrupted items (expedition, Vaal side areas, etc ) have a relatively good chance of dropping 6L items which you can vendor for 20 fuses . This will add up over a league to get you near the bench craft cost for a special item

Imho

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
If you spent a lot of chromatics trying to get a specific color combo, just fyi the statistics may be weighted against you depending on the type of equipment:

https://www.poewiki.net/wiki/Chromatic_Orb posted:

Sockets are more likely to roll a colour corresponding to the attributes of the equipment being altered. The higher the attribute requirements, the more likely it is to roll the relevant colour: red sockets for Strength, green sockets for Dexterity, and blue sockets for Intelligence.

It can be one of those inscrutable mechanics experienced players just think about automatically and look over imo

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

External Organs posted:

If you spent a lot of chromatics trying to get a specific color combo, just fyi the statistics may be weighted against you depending on the type of equipment:

Yup I figured that out pretty quickly when I decided I wanted green green blue red linked gloves. Very apparent that the gloves tended towards green but would occasionally kick out another color

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Frank Frank posted:

Yup I figured that out pretty quickly when I decided I wanted green green blue red linked gloves. Very apparent that the gloves tended towards green but would occasionally kick out another color

Yeah. Probably easier on a dex/int or dex/str base.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Chrome outcomes are also weighted by item level. It’s easier to roll off colors on low item levels

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

euphronius posted:

Chrome outcomes are also weighted by item level. It’s easier to roll off colors on low item levels

This is useful and makes sense too. It has gotten a lot harder to force slot colors the higher I go

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Frank Frank posted:

Use this to determine the most efficient way to color stuff: https://siveran.github.io/calc.html . Dex = evasion = green, str = armor = red, int = energy shield =blue. So if you have a dex+int (evasion+energy shield) piece, and you want four red sockets... Well it's going to be tough. You'll realistically need to use the "at least three red sockets" bench craft a few times, which you may not even have found yet. It's better to try to put that setup somewhere else.

Also, don't feel bad at all using chromes / fusings. Chromes are plentiful. Fusings are fairly plentiful, and stuff 4 links very easily anyways (fusings only become scarce late game when you need 1500 to six link at the bench, or maybe you'll get lucky doing it one by one, but it's just as likely to require 5000 lol).

Also, for the campaign, links and colors are the most important things. Life and res are important too, of course, but you can also bench craft that on to something typically. I typically finish the campaign with absolute trash, often still have blue and white gear.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

xZAOx posted:

Use this to determine the most efficient way to color stuff: https://siveran.github.io/calc.html . Dex = evasion = green, str = armor = red, int = energy shield =blue. So if you have a dex+int (evasion+energy shield) piece, and you want four red sockets... Well it's going to be tough. You'll realistically need to use the "at least three red sockets" bench craft a few times, which you may not even have found yet. It's better to try to put that setup somewhere else.

Also, don't feel bad at all using chromes / fusings. Chromes are plentiful. Fusings are fairly plentiful, and stuff 4 links very easily anyways (fusings only become scarce late game when you need 1500 to six link at the bench, or maybe you'll get lucky doing it one by one, but it's just as likely to require 5000 lol).

Also, for the campaign, links and colors are the most important things. Life and res are important too, of course, but you can also bench craft that on to something typically. I typically finish the campaign with absolute trash, often still have blue and white gear.

note that when this calculator says to do a "vorici" craft, it's a recipe you do on your crafting bench. they used to be attached to a character called vorici who now does something different.

r0rb
Oct 14, 2012
I had my richest league start ever and will probably continue this strat in future leagues. I did essences and abyss then went into harbinger and ritual. I threw essences at the stygian vices and they sold so fast. Spammed the str/dex/int essences at them until I hit life and at least 1 res. Even a mediocre one would sell for 20-30c and 1div or better ones were not too rare. Sales are slowing down now but for the first week that was a gravy train.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

External Organs posted:

It can be one of those inscrutable mechanics experienced players just think about automatically and look over imo

Worth noting the reverse is also true for stat weighting: lower stat items are more likely to get off color sockets. So if you're coloring AND crafting, start rolling the affixes before you slam chromes. If you hit a garbage roll with -stat requirements in the process, it's easier to get off-colors. Color it immediately, then continue fishing for the right affixes.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

xZAOx posted:

The better strategy, once you have the recipes anyway, for trying to off-color 3 or 4 link items is to use the "Item has 2/3/4 sockets" craft. The existing sockets won't change color when you use this craft but the new socket being added will roll it randomly, so you can do so something like set it to two sockets, use the "Item has at least two red sockets" which will make them both red, then add and remove the 3rd socket until you get the color you want, then repeat for the 4th.

It takes mostly jeweler's orbs instead of chromes, but it's way less frustrating when trying to get something that would otherwise eat a ridiculous number of them.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
does anyone have a guide to good cheap-ish LA build? (ive got all of 1 div on hand) i will accept poison variations

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
it's not stated anywhere (and should be because it is one of the big traps for people early on) but getting more than one or two off colors on an base is very hard and shouldn't be tried unless you have a lot of chromes.

also frank you're at the level where you'll start seeing six socket items drop so just pick those up and vendor them when your inventory is full. those will give you jewelers orbs which pile up pretty quickly and which you can convert at vendors to either fusings or chromes

euphronius posted:

they aren't, they're weighted by the raw # of stats required on an item to use it. lower level items have lower stat reqs so that's effectively true though

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Worth noting the reverse is also true for stat weighting: lower stat items are more likely to get off color sockets. So if you're coloring AND crafting, start rolling the affixes before you slam chromes. If you hit a garbage roll with -stat requirements in the process, it's easier to get off-colors. Color it immediately, then continue fishing for the right affixes.

this is some poe rear end poe

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
If you're ssf, run blue altars for chromes and fusing. You can also farm.div cards..

If you're trade, you farm the most profitable thing, sell it, then buy what currency you need.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Frank Frank posted:

Slammed the brakes but I’m probably way too late at this point.

You'll get so many orbs man. Don't stress it. You probably figured this out but vendoring an item with a link of exactly R-G-B sockets gives you a Chromatic, so that's a good way to build them up. Your item filter almost definitely highlights these a special color on the ground.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bought a divine worth of essences of dread to craft a +3 bow, hit a natural +3 after like 5 tries :toot: Still not ideal because the other mods are kind of crap and I only have room for crafted attack speed, but it will do for now.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

r0rb posted:

I had my richest league start ever and will probably continue this strat in future leagues. I did essences and abyss then went into harbinger and ritual. I threw essences at the stygian vices and they sold so fast. Spammed the str/dex/int essences at them until I hit life and at least 1 res. Even a mediocre one would sell for 20-30c and 1div or better ones were not too rare. Sales are slowing down now but for the first week that was a gravy train.

I did a similar thing in a previous league except using harvest reforge chaos on stygians to get chaos res, those were good times

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

goferchan posted:

You'll get so many orbs man. Don't stress it. You probably figured this out but vendoring an item with a link of exactly R-G-B sockets gives you a Chromatic, so that's a good way to build them up. Your item filter almost definitely highlights these a special color on the ground.

technically, its any item with linked R-G-B sockets. It can have more sockets as well, so R-R-G-B would get you a chrome as well.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I'm playing a rf jugg ssf and it's the first time I've gotten all that far into maps self found.

Although I'm only like tier 6 atm.

I've yet to come across any 6 link items and I've only got about 100ish fusions at the moment so crafting one seems like it'll be quite a while.

Is there any easy-ish way to get one quickly or should I just keep running my 5 link chest and hope for a drop at some point?

I'm not really having any trouble but I'm in my mid 80s now and have generally had one drop out traded for something by this point.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Ssf it can be harder. One way is to farm strongboxes and vaal any armorer's ones looking for a corrupted 6L.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Strongboxes, vaal side areas and hoping to get lucky from a link-all rare

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Also, higher item quality improves your chances of successfully linking.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
Thanks. I've not been paying much attention to the strongboxes, I'll start doing some vaal orbs on the armor ones and hope for the best.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

There's a node on atlas tree that makes all strongboxes rare and corrupted, and it's pretty easy to spec into, iirc you can get to it by t6 or t7 maps.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Jinnigan posted:

does anyone have a guide to good cheap-ish LA build? (ive got all of 1 div on hand) i will accept poison variations

Goratha did a LA Champ starter this league, I don't know how expensive it'll be, but it should at least give you a ballpark to start with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jjZqVx1-KQ

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I had one of these drop, and a quick search said around 0.7 Divine, but when I listed it for that I immediately got turbo-whispered by like 20 people so I assume it's worth more than that? There seem to be a lot listed in the past few minutes which makes me think people are trying to trick people like me into listing it for less than it's worth? What should i sell it for?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
1 div seems to be fair. Probably 2/3rd of the first 100 listings have it at that price and it doesn't look like there's 1 guy with a bunch of those (i.e. probably not being price-fixed). If you want to move it faster, 0.9 div.

e: vvv Memories aren't listed on poe.ninja, but they have a category for Scourged Maps for some goddamn reason

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Apr 17, 2023

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Bardeh posted:

I had one of these drop, and a quick search said around 0.7 Divine, but when I listed it for that I immediately got turbo-whispered by like 20 people so I assume it's worth more than that? There seem to be a lot listed in the past few minutes which makes me think people are trying to trick people like me into listing it for less than it's worth? What should i sell it for?

Poe.ninja should have an economy tab that shows a decent historic trend for it's selling price. These end up dropping an outrageous number of essences so are fairly valuable.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Yeah looks like 1 div if you're patient, .9 div if you want to move it quickly, .8 div and below is emergency firesale price.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Anyone have luck with combining trees? My only one took off all but 1 of the nodes I wanted

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Deki posted:

Anyone have luck with combining trees? My only one took off all but 1 of the nodes I wanted

It's deterministic
https://youtu.be/MdEQIQVcjuU

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
The position thing is good to know but that's a wee bit short of "deterministic" imo

e: if I'm missing something I'd love to know, I've basically been stockpiling geodes for lack of anything major to craft

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah I watched it and what he meant by deterministic is that if you use imprints and pay attention to positions of the nodes, you can eventually get exactly what you want

Lots of imprints tho

Probably make some money this league selling imprints

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

yeah the thing with atlas memories is that they are pretty fun and interesting to do and they are quite valuable so the 20 message/sec spam you get is often genuine demand and not someone's trade bot trying to auto-scam you