Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Lord_Magmar posted:

Edit: In game related stuff, I really hope they rethink the way aoe EGO targets. It should only target the same person/limb multiple times if it runs out of "fresh" targets imo.

I disagree. AoE really does not need to be any stronger than it already is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Theantero posted:

But imagine the turncount savings!! :2monocle:

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Theantero posted:

The fact that AoE skills can be single target (and especially almost always are against certain enemies) is confusing and awkward imo. I'd rather they work as, you know, AoE attacks consistently. They more or less worked this way in the Refraction Railway because most human enemies only ever had the 1 skill slot and I don't think it was particularly busted.

Basically the only place they don't really work as stated is against human enemy wave based fights where they gain skill coins and sometimes start with 2 skill coins when joining as a second/third wave. Which is more or less the easiest content anyway.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Apr 16, 2023

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
I'd really like for AoE to work like that too, because as-is the targeting mechanics are really, really jank. Sometimes it'll target the same speed die twice to avoid aiming at an extra target, which is just silly.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

GilliamYaeger posted:

I'd really like for AoE to work like that too, because as-is the targeting mechanics are really, really jank. Sometimes it'll target the same speed die twice to avoid aiming at an extra target, which is just silly.

That happens when the part in question has multiple possible skill slots, but it's not using all of them. You find this most commonly in Refraction Railway on some Abnormalities, I first noticed it against Fish's stomach.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

TeeQueue posted:

That happens when the part in question has multiple possible skill slots, but it's not using all of them. You find this most commonly in Refraction Railway on some Abnormalities, I first noticed it against Fish's stomach.

Ahhh, that's why it had the like (x2/x3) over some skill slots. I was confused, assumed it was like "this part is going to take extra damage".

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I'm still tempted by the shiny banner, even if I probably shouldn't.

Can someone recommend a team for it this time?

Currently I have:

Yi Sang: LCB, Blade Lineage Salsu
Faust: LCB
Don: LCB, Shi Section 5 Director
Ryoshu: LCB, Seven Section 6
Meursault: LCB, Liu Section 6, W Corp. Cleanup Agent
Hong Lu: LCB, Tingtang Gangleader
Heathcliff: LCB, N Corp. Kleinhammer
Ishmael: LCB, Shi Section 5
Rodion: LCB
Sinclair: LCB, Zwei Section 6, Blade Lineage Salsu
Outis: LCB, Blade Lineage Cutthroat
Gregor: LCB, G Corp. Manager Corporal

All free+paid battle pass EGOs + Wishing Cairn.

Everyone is at III/30.

(If you're going to suggest I use a support, please include a friend code so I can do so.)

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Managed to get 117 over the last few days. I ended up almost losing Ishmael and Hong Lu to the snake, but thanks to Sinclair I was able to spam Pursuance enough to get them back safely. Otherwise I ended up following that Steam guide and making do without the bleed support IDs it recommended. Really hoping I'll have a quicker time mastering the new Railway next season, because this was hairy and not always fun.

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain
Already sort of finding myself curious about the new Abnormalities, as well as some of the implications made in their Observation Logs. I could probably ramble about it for ages, honestly, but I think I'll stick to some of my own major takeaways.

My Form Empties has a counterpart, possibly rivals if one assumes the four space redaction describing their relation is actually four characters and thus makes "foes" a valid read. It also represents our second "M" Abnormality ever, shared only with Doomsday Calender. At this point, I assume it's a safe bet to assume that means "Mythological", or something similar. Likewise, judging from some of the chatter between the Sinners in said report, they have encountered the Abnormalities within the Mirror Dungeon beforehand, in their "Event" iterations rather than as hostile combatants. While it could easily be handwaved as "The Mirror Dungeons represent the possibility where they're not immediately homicidal", I'm not entirely sure they won't discuss it further. Faust's dismissal of the weird timeline incongruity of their fight with My Form Empties comes off as something of an attempt to change the subject rather than her usual smugness, and I think it may be related.

Picking apart the symbolism and behaviors of Abnormalities has always been one of my favorite parts of Project Moon lore, and I'm very happy the Mirror Dungeon abnos haven't disappointed.

Probe 17 fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 16, 2023

Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
search engine in the world!"
-- The GoogleProg

Probe 17 posted:

Already sort of finding myself curious about the new Abnormalities, as well as some of the implications made in their Observation Logs. I could probably ramble about it for ages, honestly, but I think I'll stick to some of my own major takeaways.

My Form Empties has a counterpart, possibly rivals if one assumes the four space redaction describing their relation is actually four characters and thus makes "foes" a valid read. It also represents our second "M" Abnormality ever, shared only with Doomsday Calender. At this point, I assume it's a safe bet to assume that means "Mythological", or something similar. Likewise, judging from some of the chatter between the Sinners in said report, they have encountered the Abnormalities within the Mirror Dungeon beforehand, in their "Event" iterations rather than as hostile combatants. While it could easily be handwaved as "The Mirror Dungeons represent the possibility where they're not immediately homicidal", I'm not entirely sure they won't discuss it further. Faust's dismissal of the weird timeline incongruity of their fight with My Form Empties comes off as something of an attempt to change the subject rather than her usual smugness, and I think it may be related.

Picking apart the symbolism and behaviors of Abnormalities has always been one of my favorite parts of Project Moon lore, and I'm very happy the Mirror Dungeon abnos haven't disappointed.

Do you have a resource available where the Observation Logs are posted? I don't know if I have the energy for doing a full runback right now to read all the new ones, assuming they even unlocked correctly for me. :v:

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain

Ariamaki posted:

Do you have a resource available where the Observation Logs are posted? I don't know if I have the energy for doing a full runback right now to read all the new ones, assuming they even unlocked correctly for me. :v:

The Limbus Wiki's got 'em all, thankfully! Here's the pages for all three of the new Abnormalities. I will note that the speculated writers for each log/comment are just that, speculation, so feel free to take it with a grain of salt.

Toad: https://limbuscompany.fandom.com/wiki/Blubbering_Toad#Story

Robot: https://limbuscompany.fandom.com/wiki/KQE-1J-23#Story

Statue: https://limbuscompany.fandom.com/wiki/My_Form_Empties#Story

Also, calling it now, the Tour Guide's heart, and the "town" it speaks of, are some sort of virtual environment that it's forcefully uploading the brains of its victims into. Or at least, that's what it's trying to do.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
Don't forget that all of Lobotomy Corp's Abnormalities emerged from the mind of Carmen. If you're doing an analysis of a given Abnormality, one should at least try to look at it through the lens of how it relates to her. My Form Empties, for example, turns its enemies into devoted followers with its preaching...

And regarding the Mirror dungeon encounters, I always saw them as performing work on the Abnormality in its cell, wheras the actual Abnormality fight is a breach.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

GilliamYaeger posted:

Don't forget that all of Lobotomy Corp's Abnormalities emerged from the mind of Carmen. If you're doing an analysis of a given Abnormality, one should at least try to look at it through the lens of how it relates to her. My Form Empties, for example, turns its enemies into devoted followers with its preaching...

And regarding the Mirror dungeon encounters, I always saw them as performing work on the Abnormality in its cell, wheras the actual Abnormality fight is a breach.

They're also still drawn from the collective subconscious. Carmen is the way they mass produced the necessary stuff. Some stuff is clearly related to general human ideology/mass belief too. The three birds being the Head for example, or Little Red Riding Hood/Big Bad Wolf (and Blue Shepherd/Reddened Buddy).

Heck, we've got the example of the metal headed prisoner who is clearly someone that was experimented on before Carmen broke down and tried to kill herself. We even see the examples of Personal EGO which are drawn from specific people's inner selves. All of the Limbus Company starter Zayins for example.

So I don't think it should always be analysed through the lens of how an abnormality relates to Carmen. At minimum because some of them clearly are other characters/figures (The Apocalypse Bird Trio). Heck, the failed Extractions in Lob Corp that create the Ordeals are Ayin's memories/inner traumas/doubts. At least near the end (hence a Claw, and Fixers).

Carmen is the source of the connection, but she isn't the only one (some Abnormalities are implied to have formed on their own).

EDIT: Went and made sure and yeah, Carmen discovered Cogito, which could be extracted in some manner, and then when injected into humans caused them to gain access to their individual subconscious and the subconscious of the masses. The fact she discovered it, implies it already naturally existed in some manner too. When she did the thing in the bathrub and Ayin salvaged her nervous system it was able to produce Cogito at an unprecedented rate, which was then used to continue the experimentation on humans that was turning them into Abnormalities, Ordeals, and in some cases unlocking EGO. Since all of these are from the same subconscious inner world manifesting in different ways (Distortions come later, but they're also similar in nature). Carmen is the medium through which others grasp the infinite inner worlds of human thought. But it is a Persona situation, she isn't the sole source of Abnormalities, just the means by which they are accessed.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 17, 2023

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain

GilliamYaeger posted:

There is certainly a connection to be made between Carmen and any given Abnormality, and I will certainly concede that "savior figure that literally conceals a red-eyed monster" is both a bit on the nose and makes My Form Empties sort of sound like Dollar General WhiteNight. But before Carmen's cogito can become an abnormality, it must be injected into, for lack of a better word, a human/animal/other "host", and I'd argue certain abnos suggest that they can pull from some deep, deep history as needed.

I just want to know who it is that My Form Empties is considered linked to, and how so. Also, isn't it funny how so far that's the only bit of information that's been explicitly redacted from an Observation Log? I wonder what that's about.

EDIT: Oops! Magmar explained the part about cogito better than I could have, read the post above mine!!! ^^^^^^

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Well it's connected to Buddhism, in the same way that WhiteNight is connected to Christianity.

Hell, aren't those Korea's two main religions?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Basically as a TLDR. Carmen is the primary source of cogito, but she a)isn't the only source and b) isn't who the cogito is used on. Her function as the Bucket in Lob Corp itself involves dragging Abnormalities out of the collective subconsciousness of humanity. Although some are obviously from her own self (Bathtub, White Night Probably). Or from specific other people/organisatioms (The Birds and the Head, One Sin and Ayin probably, Hell Train/Warp Train, Ayin's Final Ordeals of White).

Abnormalities, Distortions and Ordeals are all "failed" manifestations of human subconsciousness when exposed to Cogito(Carmen created or otherwise). EGO is the "success state". Her and Ayin's current status as "The Light" is letting her Cogito people all over the city, hence the Distortion phenomenon. Which in of itself is because she became Distorted (supposedly). I have no idea of Ayin's opinion on the matter, he might just be happy living in Carmen's eternal glowing mental embrace.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Apr 17, 2023

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain

Lord_Magmar posted:

Basically as a TLDR. Carmen is the primary source of cogito, but she a)isn't the only source and b) isn't who the cogito is used on. Her function as the Bucket in Lob Corp itself involves dragging Abnormalities out of the collective subconsciousness of humanity. Although some are obviously from her own self (Bathtub, White Night Probably). Or from specific other people/organisatioms (The Birds and the Head, One Sin and Ayin probably, Hell Train/Warp Train, Ayin's Final Ordeals of White).

Abnormalities, Distortions and Ordeals are all "failed" manifestations of human subconsciousness when exposed to Cogito(Carmen created or otherwise). EGO is the "success state". Her and Ayin's current status as "The Light" is letting her Cogito people all over the city, hence the Distortion phenomenon. Which in of itself is because she became Distorted (supposedly). I have no idea of Ayin's opinion on the matter, he might just be happy living in Carmen's eternal glowing mental embrace.

Leviathan heavily implies through dialogue that Ayin is the one responsible for allowing others to manifest E.G.O., but that he can only do so once they've shaken off Carmen's influence and prevented Distortion. I don't think we have any real idea why that's the current state of affairs, though.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
all the abnormalities directly related to Carmen are upfront about it like the aforementioned Bloodbath, and Snow Queen. like I'm sure you can relate a bunch of other ones to her just because she is a person and they reflect the struggles/thoughts/feelings/etc of people but the ones that are important (in relation to Carmen) just straight up have her story stuff in the descriptions

posadas
Jan 28, 2021
Despite completing all the content so far, I still get really confused about targeting with multiple parts. Honestly, it seems like a lot of it is due to the weird modal UI, in which some information seems to bury other bits of information
1. Most of the time, depleting the bar for an abnormality part will allow remaining attacks to hit the base abnormality HP pool. Other times it cancels the attack and any remaining attacks (the snake guy comes to mind). Is there a way to know which is which?
2. Does damaging a staggered part also deal fatal damage to the base HP pool?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Parts that leave behind the shattered unusable skill coin that you cannot target are the ones that stop already targeted attacks if they break mid-turn.

Damage done to parts does deal exactly the same damage to the abnormalities total health pool. Which is why the refraction railway speed guides recommend simply breaking one of the toads eyes, since that makes all physical damage types fatal if you keep hitting the same eye.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

posadas posted:

Despite completing all the content so far, I still get really confused about targeting with multiple parts. Honestly, it seems like a lot of it is due to the weird modal UI, in which some information seems to bury other bits of information
1. Most of the time, depleting the bar for an abnormality part will allow remaining attacks to hit the base abnormality HP pool. Other times it cancels the attack and any remaining attacks (the snake guy comes to mind). Is there a way to know which is which?

If you tap the abno to bring up its details page you can see all the part HP bars. Some will have a "destructible" label. When a destructible part hits 0 hp it will permanently break for the rest of the fight and all your sinners' remaining attacks on it will be canceled.
Other parts will not be destructible. When a non-destructible part hits 0 hp, it will temporarily break but your sinners can keep attacking it and just do damage to the base abno, and it will eventually regrow back to full hp based on boss mechanics or whatever.

quote:

2. Does damaging a staggered part also deal fatal damage to the base HP pool?
You only have one damage number. As far as I can tell, you always do the exact same damage to the part and to the base HP pool.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Given that Pierre and Jack showed up early enough into Ruina that they didn't really have any specialties/builds aside from some HP stuff, what are you expecting these Gregor and Ryoshu IDs to do?

I'd definitely be surprised if Bleed wasn't part of their game plan in some capacity.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Junpei posted:

Given that Pierre and Jack showed up early enough into Ruina that they didn't really have any specialties/builds aside from some HP stuff, what are you expecting these Gregor and Ryoshu IDs to do?

I'd definitely be surprised if Bleed wasn't part of their game plan in some capacity.

My guess is they'll be able to heal either other party members or themselves, with the implication that they're making a quick meal out of the enemy.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Junpei posted:

Bleed/Burn is my guess. Burn because Ryoshu could use a burn based identity anyway and it does fit "cooking" as a theme, Bleed because well, knives.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Lord_Magmar posted:

Bleed/Burn is my guess. Burn because Ryoshu could use a burn based identity anyway and it does fit "cooking" as a theme, Bleed because well, knives.
Maybe healing effects when they attack enemies with bleed and/or burn? It'd be nice to have a flexible support that could fit into both bleed and burn parties.

GilliamYaeger fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Apr 17, 2023

Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
-- The GoogleProg

GilliamYaeger posted:

Maybe healing effects when they attack enemies with bleed and/or burn? It'd be nice to have a flexible support that could fit into both bleed and burn parties.

Yeah, this is both my thought and my ideal: They fall somewhere in the Bleed/Burn/Healing triangle, just based on the thematics of chefs with knives who cannibalize enemies mid-battle, and also their Ruina effects being moderately healing-focused. I'd like to see them be flexible in some way, so they can splash into multiple comps easily, and I'd REALLY like if their Support passives are competitive or at least comparable to G Corp Gregor's excellent effect.

On the note of supporting Bleed and Burn, a hypothetical niche I think would be interesting on a future character is intensification: Raising the enemy's Count for debuffs (or an ally's count for buffs) without actually being able to apply them at base. It's a power hit in solo scenarios but provides a lot of utility in group play, and would be a nice effect for something like a Support Passive for that reason.

EDIT: The EGO and IDs have been unveiled!

They are in fact heavy Bleed support with (newly buffed / bugfixed) Paralysis and Bind, as well as a lot of healing effects. Gregor's Support passive explicitly boosts Ryoshu's Combat passive as well, and they both have VERY high coin counts including two-coin first skills. The EGO are both Lust-based and have really neat effects, with Sinclair's being a powerful healing utility.

Ariamaki fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Apr 17, 2023

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

https://twitter.com/LimbusCompany_B/status/1647897501670977537?cxt=HHwWgsDR1f-Cwd4tAAAA

https://twitter.com/LimbusCompany_B/status/1647900229239451649?cxt=HHwWgsDR0eGhwt4tAAAA

https://twitter.com/LimbusCompany_B/status/1647898859702718464?cxt=HHwWgMDQ5YXSwd4tAAAA

https://twitter.com/LimbusCompany_B/status/1647897770748166146?cxt=HHwWhIDSudSSwd4tAAAA

Previews are out. Stew Don looks like she could be funny for RR memes if you stall with a Lust team to build up infinity resources.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
Stew Sinclair actually kind of looks like a decent alternative to Impending Day with healy stuff or getting lots of EGO resources.

MetaMeme
Apr 30, 2017

You may boorishly refer to it as "Pickpocketing", but I prefer "Urban Foraging".
https://twitter.com/LimbusCompany_B/status/1647881871353839616

https://twitter.com/LimbusCompany_B/status/1647882072785293313

And the update notes.

Cliffnotes for new info:

Still haven't fixed mobile crashes

New kernel rootkit anticheat added to steam release

$18 of weekly bundles added for improved fleecing

people with the gacha unit / EGO will have 60% improved efficiency on the event than f2p (140% vs 220%)

you can unlock new profile intro lines if you roll the new (limited) units

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

...oh, gently caress, I don't like the sound of the kernel anti-cheat at all. Like, bad enough that I might have to drop the PC version, poo poo.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

...oh, gently caress, I don't like the sound of the kernel anti-cheat at all. Like, bad enough that I might have to drop the PC version, poo poo.

Ugh, same.

Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
-- The GoogleProg

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Yeah, as is the usual case with this kind of thing, my recommended course of action is:

1- Until circumstances change, switch platforms if you wish to continue playing.
2- Complain politely, loudly, regularly, publicly and privately, across all contact forms and social media channels. This includes in the comments of (RELATED) update posts on both Twitter and Steam, in appropriate forums and Discord channels with developer presence (if there are any) as well as through emails to the appropriate addresses. Do not harass anybody, don't be a shithead about it, don't be offensive about it. Minimize abrasion but maximize attention.
3- Communicate issues with your friends and acquaintances who play and encourage them to do the same steps above.

While this isn't one of the notoriously awful instances of this kind of AC it's still one at all, which should be blanket unacceptable. There's no point to them (as they rarely ever prevent what they're meant to), they don't benefit the game (I don't even know how or why somebody would be trying to cheat Limbus in a way this could even prevent), and they certainly do not benefit the players.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont think battleye is one of those ones that sends your data to anyone or drastically affects game performance but otoh it is extremely excessive just because one guy was macroing mirror dungeons

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Endorph posted:

i dont think battleye is one of those ones that sends your data to anyone or drastically affects game performance but otoh it is extremely excessive just because one guy was macroing mirror dungeons

It's not really about privacy or performance, I'm just absolutely against any kind of program that has that much access to your computer's internals like kernel access level. It also hits my trauma buttons but that's personal stuff.

EDIT: It's like I also hate programs that ask for admin priviledges when not necessary on install, but I blame Microsoft for putting draconian restrictions on Program Files.

GiantRockFromSpace fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Apr 17, 2023

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Time to leave some pointed reviews.

posadas
Jan 28, 2021
Does this also break steam deck support? From what I understand, anti-cheat systems are a major cause of steam deck compatibility

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

posadas posted:

Does this also break steam deck support? From what I understand, anti-cheat systems are a major cause of steam deck compatibility

battleye appears to be one of the anti-cheat systems that is compatible with the steam deck? Or so google tells me. It could be lying.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

It does apparently mess up the ability to play the game on Linux systems.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Project Moon's famous spaghetti code: now with kernel access.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

MetaMeme posted:

Cliffnotes for new info:

Still haven't fixed mobile crashes

The mobile crashes were already (mostly) fixed for me...

...and I'm on an iPhone 8 Plus, so.