Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Boy do I loving feel this one in my bones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I don't get it :confused:

Is it just that it's really, really hard?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Yeah, in my experience you started off pretty confident and that confidence drained as you looked at the exam questions.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Just quoting this so I can find it later

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Hyperlynx posted:

I think they were all getting their results back at once.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

I'll never not be posting this when this kind of video comes up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQdIiEUFtqk

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

:same:

Saw this post right after my gummies kicked in.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Boy do I loving feel this one in my bones.

I’m the paper tosser.

Wonder if anyone just got up & walked out.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Hyperlynx posted:

Scoring 50% will get you a B in some classes.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I don’t think I ever had a university class where below 80 was passing, so that one has to be pretty goddamn hard.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

cult_hero posted:

I think they were all getting their results back at once.

"OK folks, here's your graded papers. Everybody got them back? Good. Now on the count of three, everybody turn them over and look at your grade"

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

freeedr posted:

I don’t think I ever had a university class where below 80 was passing, so that one has to be pretty goddamn hard.

What country was this? Because that's not how any American grading scale I've even heard of works.

Data Graham posted:

"OK folks, here's your graded papers. Everybody got them back? Good. Now on the count of three, everybody turn them over and look at your grade"

They're not getting grades back; they're starting the test. Or pretending to because it's obviously a bit. Possibly the professor's idea, which might be way it's wonky and a little lame.

Anyway it's timed so everyone starts at the same time to keep the people in the front from having an average.

Blue Footed Booby has a new favorite as of 00:11 on Apr 17, 2023

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Blue Footed Booby posted:

They're not getting grades back; they're starting the test. Or pretending to because it's obviously a bit. Possibly the professor's idea, which might be way it's wonky and a little lame.

Ironic, isn't it... the professor could engineer anything except a joke

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/PQDgoA1.gifv

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

All-timer post.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/LwhrPmY.mp4
Unmute

RockWhisperer
Oct 26, 2018

Hyperlynx posted:

It's more that freshman don't know how to study and they're not used to exams that average out at a C or lower. There's usually a curves at the end of the semester. My first engineering exam in school had a class average of 54% lol. It's hard but don't let the engineers fool you into believing they're MENSA level giga chads.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

RockWhisperer posted:

It's more that freshman don't know how to study and they're not used to exams that average out at a C or lower. There's usually a curves at the end of the semester. My first engineering exam in school had a class average of 54% lol. It's hard but don't let the engineers fool you into believing they're MENSA level giga chads.

It depends on the professor but there are a few disciplines like this. I got a 33/120 on my genetics final and got a B

It is not a good time

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Doesn't this mean people graduate and don't actually know the things?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Do you think the purpose of the education system is to educate people?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Beachcomber posted:

Absolutely

No more questions

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Beachcomber posted:

Yes

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Beachcomber posted:

lmao

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

C's get degrees.

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

A lot of engineering professors just don't know how to write an exam. I had a hydrology final with a question that required a series of like 30 iterative calculations to solve (we solved it with excel in class so nobody expected to see it on the exam, there were audible sighs and a few 'fuuuuuck's when the test started). I tried the first iteration and it took me over a minute, so I pulled out all my TI-83+ programming skills and wrote a program during the exam to automate the most time consuming parts and save the variables so I could do the next iteration in a few seconds. Pretty sure I'm the only one who finished.

Some professors will straight up say that they aim for a 50% average so they can make a nice curve out of it, but I've had averages in the 30s

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dance McPants has a new favorite as of 01:23 on Apr 17, 2023

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dance McPants posted:

A lot of engineering professors just don't know how to write an exam. I had a hydrology final with a question that required a series of like 30 iterative calculations to solve (we solved it with excel in class so nobody expected to see it on the exam, there were audible sighs and a few 'fuuuuuck's when the test started). I tried the first iteration and it took me over a minute, so I pulled out all my TI-83+ programming skills and wrote a program during the exam to automate the most time consuming parts and save the variables so I could do the next iteration in a few seconds. Pretty sure I'm the only one who finished.

Some professors will straight up say that they aim for a 50% average so they can make a nice curve out of it, but I've had averages in the 30s

Imagine having sex with an engineer :barf:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
https://i.imgur.com/znB0oLs.mp4

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

Beachcomber posted:

They know some things! It's ok, don't worry! I've spent the last 17+ years helping to educate med students, nurses, pharmacists...it's cool just don't, like...get sick or go to the hospital. :eng101:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Imagine having sex with an engineer :barf:

Engineers are actually bottom three lowest virginity rates of all majors. There have been no-poo poo studies.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Dance McPants posted:

A lot of engineering professors just don't know how to write an exam.

This is very true, but even if it weren't you still shouldn't have exams that everyone does well on. At the college level you need to be able to distinguish the very best students from the merely very good, and a good exam will have questions that do that.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

At the same time, grades and performance on tests doesn't always gauge a student's mastery of the subject matter. God knows mine didn't, either in high school or in college, often. Math was my worst subject so naturally, I chose a major with a fair bit of math (described by some as a math minor). Worked my rear end off in Calculus, and it might as well have been an A; I was just so happy to pass that poo poo.

In conclusion, grades are a land of contrast.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I just...some of these people build infrastructure. :ohdear:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Whether you have an A plus or a D minus everyone gets the same degree

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Blue Footed Booby posted:

What country was this? Because that's not how any American grading scale I've even heard of works.

That was all healthcare-related university stuff in USA. Three different schools. Public schools growing up were all the normal 70+ for passing.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

freeedr posted:

That was all healthcare-related university stuff in USA. Three different schools. Public schools growing up were all the normal 70+ for passing.

I did not know that.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Beachcomber posted:

Yeah with a computer.. not a pencil and a test that covers 3 random things selected from 3 chapters of the text book with no guarantee that the professor mentioned the subject during lectures.

I swear professors are sadists.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Beachcomber posted:

One of the benefits of being able to record and share information or review and act on history means the C students can do all the grunt work on the basis of an A student who is contemporary or came before.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Wendigee posted:

Yeah with a computer.. not a pencil and a test that covers 3 random things selected from 3 chapters of the text book with no guarantee that the professor mentioned the subject during lectures.

I swear professors are sadists.

I have never taken a university exam here (Australia) that allowed content not covered in class or with directions towards material. What the actual gently caress.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

syntaxfunction posted:

I have never taken a university exam here (Australia) that allowed content not covered in class or with directions towards material. What the actual gently caress.

I had one professor whose tests were exclusively the material not covered in class. Attendance was mandatory. Eventually I switched majors to avoid that guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP