Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It is pretty amazing how dq5 managed to capture the three types of women that exist in the world: nice but sweet, sweet but nice, and sweet but nice (but brash)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
i cant cheat on my childhood friend :(

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

CaptainRat posted:

Octopath Traveler 2 is fantastic.

It really is

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I found myself burning out on Octopath 2 because the random battles are so mind-numbing even when you can instantly win every time. So I cleared like half the stories and put it down. I just... can't handle that encounter rate.

Honestly I want to say that the battle system is bad, although I feel like will be controversial.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Scholar has a skill that drops the encounter rate.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

Those are all good, but I would suggest starting with Live A Live.

Ok, its on a slight sale so I will give it a go.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

dishwasherlove posted:

Scholar has a skill that drops the encounter rate.
It's not enough. The random encounter rate is easily one of the worst parts of the game even after you set someone up to OHKO the trash, it's just relentless. And you don't even get to feel the joy of accumulating the rewards from clearing trash efficiently given the game is so dang easy and you also run out of things to spend JP on about half way through the game.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Triangle Strategy seems good so far, but I kinda find myself dreading opening it. Every time I do something new and lovely happens to the Wolfforts and they’re put in some other impossible bind.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Rascyc posted:

It's not enough. The random encounter rate is easily one of the worst parts of the game even after you set someone up to OHKO the trash, it's just relentless. And you don't even get to feel the joy of accumulating the rewards from clearing trash efficiently given the game is so dang easy and you also run out of things to spend JP on about half way through the game.

The encounter rate, passive included or not, is way too high in that game and its the only blemish on something I consider drat near perfect. If they put visible enemies on the map that would be enough to solve the problem. Considering their track record of one sequel with such big improvement, I bet the next one if there is one will fix it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

nrook posted:

Triangle Strategy seems good so far, but I kinda find myself dreading opening it. Every time I do something new and lovely happens to the Wolfforts and they’re put in some other impossible bind.

that's the entire game, yeah.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
the final screen of the golden route made me cry 🥲

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
they are nobility they partially deserve it

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

nrook posted:

Just makes it all the sweeter when you get to turn the tables on those scumbags!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Or maybe you don't and everyone gets killed. That's always an option for a game too, never let that thought not be in the back of your mind at all times.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So these nice people are trying to preserve Japanese phone games. SMT folks want Last Bible but I'm happy to see so many replies asking for Xenosaga Pied Piper
https://twitter.com/GmodePR/status/1646710887229820929?s=20

I remember reading a translation back before I played Episode III. I'd like for it to still exist, though. Ziggy's one of the characters even the hates tend to like. It was, I think, the last or one of the last things written by Soraya Saga. Tetsuya Takahshi is the "Xeno guy" but his wife was responsible for much of both Xenogears and the original concept of Xenosaga. Also Edgar and Sabin in FFVI. I've always thought the lack of her inclusion in the XBC games might be part of why they're so different.

In any event, I'd really like to read PP again. That was 2006 I read it...jesus.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Rascyc posted:

Oddly enough, I've been playing The Legend of Dragoon and I've found the encounter rate in that game to actually be too low. Lol. Never thought I'd ever say that about an rpg before

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Every game should just steal Bravely Default's system!!! Come on!!!!

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Just use Riviera: The Promised Land's encounter system. :getin:

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Or hell Wild Arms 3 and later encounter systems

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Man, Crystal Project is a lot easier when you actually know where to go to make progress. I spent so much time on my 1st save wandering around the same areas trying to figure out where to go.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

OneDeadman posted:

Or hell Wild Arms 3 and later encounter systems

Honestly Wild Arms 3's system is perfect even better than on-field encounters.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Tired Moritz posted:

Every game should just steal Bravely Default's system!!! Come on!!!!

it was sorta weird to just waltz into the secret endgame dungeon, grab every treasure, and leave with no difficulty

Barudak
May 7, 2007

This is the silliest complaint since it takes up like 40 seconds of total gameplay in Dragon Quest V but the time travel is just somehow completely deflating to me. Its not DQV specific, mind, and Im more posting how irrational Im being.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Never played Legend of Dragoon. Is it a good game that holds up today, or is it just one of those games that was neat back in the day and is mostly looked upon fondly due to nostalgia?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
It's a weird game that wasn't even particularly good back then but we were desperate for RPGs.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I think in the greater scheme of things Legend of Dragoon is generally seen as "we got Final Fantasy 7 at home". I've never played it though.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
It's one of those things that I feel like you had to be there and get some nostalgia going when it was new because in the cold light of 2023 you're only gonna see how jank it is if you're immersed in the genre. Being a lot of people's first or second title helped.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i got it as a kid because i loved legend of legaia and hadn't played enough rpgs to realize that having "legend of" in your name didn't mean you were part of the same series

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

mycot posted:

I think in the greater scheme of things Legend of Dragoon is generally seen as "we got Final Fantasy 7 at home". I've never played it though.

nah, that's Shadow Madness

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
dragoon isn't exactly bad but it's also not good and it feels like a tech demo of the "playstation's mind blowing effects" and the fact they could put fmvs on a disc more than a game. the writing is a mess in a vaguely fun way and it is worth playing if you put yourself in the mindset of being a final fantasy starved teenager in 1999 or whenever it was. just don't have any expectations.

also lol you can't fast forward through how fuckin slow the whole thing is because it has a QTE battle system

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
I haven't played it since I was a kid, but I distinctly remember it being a really ugly game. Like the models were super pixelated looking or something. Literally don't remember anything else.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Legend of Dragoon holds up more than FF8.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'll be the judge of that

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

fridge corn posted:

Oddly enough, I've been playing The Legend of Dragoon and I've found the encounter rate in that game to actually be too low. Lol. Never thought I'd ever say that about an rpg before

i need to find it again but i read something about how the encounter rate is bugged based on the direction you’re running and it’s.. lower than intended?

e; lol it’s funnier than i remember there’s this https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3154/ which says “A bug in the original game causes the enemy encounter rate to be much higher if the player is running down and/or left.”

and then there’s this https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4347/ which says “This correctly fixes the bug that caused encounter rate to be lower than intended when moving up/right. (The faster rate when moving down/left is actually the correct rate.)”

Dryzen fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Apr 17, 2023

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

some kind of legend of dragoon mind invasion going on right now i’m seeing it everywhere!

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Legend of Dragoon holds up more than FF8.

Look, I've been arguing with longtime fans on a podcast about FF8 for months, and even I'm not so down on the game to actually elevate Legend of Dragoon to "playable"

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
why have you been arguing on an ff8 podcast for months

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I just argue about ff8 on forums

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

The Colonel posted:

why have you been arguing on an ff8 podcast for months

Because we've been doing a season on FF8 on our RPG podcast

Turns out I don't like the story and multiple blind "how was I supposed to know this" design decisions that locked me out of GFs for ages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

secretly best girl posted:

Look, I've been arguing with longtime fans on a podcast about FF8 for months, and even I'm not so down on the game to actually elevate Legend of Dragoon to "playable"

It is and It's not good if you can't say everything needed to be said about FF8 in like....an hour tops.