Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

So where exactly is this antenna going to go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

EoRaptor posted:

NFC has nothing to do with Bluetooth.

I was aware that NFC as in "an RFID tag" had nothing to do with BT, but every implementation of smarter NFC (like phone payments, unlocking your hotel door with your phone, etc., etc.) that I've seen has been explicitly tied to BT, in that if I turn off BT on my phone I'm also turning off NFC capabilities. So I had assumed that "smart" NFC was piggybacking on BT to provide the transmission link...

hobbesmaster posted:

Also nrf5340s are everywhere

...and this is probably why: "Dual-core Bluetooth 5.3 SoC supporting Bluetooth LE, Bluetooth mesh, NFC, Thread and Zigbee".

So, separate protocols entirely, but commonly implemented together in hardware. Cool. Now I know.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

mdxi posted:

So, separate protocols entirely, but commonly implemented together in hardware. Cool. Now I know.

For readers yes, the ‘tag’ is what would go into the MB somewhere with a simple serial interface to get updated. That’s the benefit here, that all the costs are in a device you already own (smart phone) so all the MB needs to add is a tiny nfc chip that can sit on an already existing serial bus, has some flash rom, and a conveniently located loop of wire.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
a lot (maybe most, even?) motherboards these days that lack a pc speaker instead beep through your on-board garbage ac97 chip, which is very funny because people definitely remember to plug their speakers in when building a pc, and also many new monitors totally don't ship with builtin speakers you're supposed to use through dp/hdmi

it's all very stupid because one of those tiny pc speakers adds probably $.03 to the BOM?

e: and the mobo mfgs will probably take the reasonable way out of this mess and start shipping bluetooth with their motherboards so you can hear the beeps on your anroid phone

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
I just set up my 7800x3d build today and saw that there were headers for PC speakers, but it was a $480 ASUS board so it also had the POST code LED which doubles as CPU temperature display once booted, pretty neat if a ripoff price.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

hobbesmaster posted:

I/o shield would make sense. The last two boards I purchased (msi) have a built in i/o shield, which is frankly fantastic. You can't lose it, you can't misalign the board with it and get metal tabs bent in front of your ports, and you don't have to snap it in to the case

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

hobbesmaster posted:

on the huge piece of decorative plastic that's over the IO panel!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

So floating above and parallel to the VRMs?

This just feels like one of those things where the EEs in layout and EMC ask the product manager how much they really want this.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Just populate the missing two pins on the speaker header and use the resulting 4 as a combination speaker and 1-wire connector (so you'd get like [+SPKR | DATA | +5V | GND]) so you can plug some weird overpriced daughterboard into it and get the post code and whatever other diagnostics including beeping. Now board vendors can claim they have advanced debugging support and also charge way too much for it without actually doing much of anything, and as a bonus you can detach the thing once it works for the ~clean aesthetic~. Everybody wins, except the consumer, and as a bonus maybe we'd convince board makers to stop removing the speaker header since sometimes hearing the beeps is legit useful.

Also a specific indicator of "memory training in progress" while I'm dreaming.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)
Just make them not break imo

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Put a BMC on all boards.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Combat Pretzel posted:

Put a BMC on all boards.

Intel did that a long time ago, it’s called vPro

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
my board has a com port header doing nothing, just send the whole boot log over that like linux does, you could get real detailed, like tell you what dimms were detected and the speeds and voltages of everything, hell make it interactive

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Perplx posted:

my board has a com port header doing nothing, just send the whole boot log over that like linux does, you could get real detailed, like tell you what dimms were detected and the speeds and voltages of everything, hell make it interactive

linux usually supports actual TTYs still. That's why virtual terminals are like TTY7 or whatever.

I saw someone printing a neofetch recently (:gay:) it would actually be funni to see a real TTY running modern unix.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGbW7orZS-A

Just a reminder that the silicon lottery still alive and well. In a test with 13 7600s, the difference between the best and worst performers in efficiency (measured as FPS/W) was 50%. Raw wattage numbers were 60.8w vs 85.7w, and the high watt part was also slower with the lowest clocks. Pretty huge difference.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Cygni posted:

Just a reminder that the silicon lottery still alive and well. In a test with 13 7600s, the difference between the best and worst performers in efficiency (measured as FPS/W) was 50%. Raw wattage numbers were 60.8w vs 85.7w, and the high watt part was also slower with the lowest clocks. Pretty huge difference.

that seems pretty extreme

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006
makes sense. 7600 and 7900 is what’s left after binning for efficiency and taking everything that can be used and is needed for epyc, x3d, 7950, and 7700 (probably no difference with x). everything that fits requirements fits in the same way, everything that fails fails differently. you’re gonna have chiplets where 8 cores can hit identical bad clocks and at unacceptably high total heat and also ones where 2 cores are just dead but the other ones are golden. so most of the variation is going to be concentrated in that sku

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Did the UK get any stock of 7800X3D's for launch at all? I've not heard a peep of anyone grabbing one and many retailers saying they've still to get their initial shipment.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Cygni posted:

Did anyone ever say it wasn't?

Intel reserves their absolute best chips for the BlackCore systems they sell to high-frequency traders.

EDIT: I didn't realize Exacta (the company Intel bought, and which builds BlackCore systems) started selling AMD systems too :rubby:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Did anyone ever say it wasn't?

I think if you asked a random hardware enthusiast whether they thought there was still a 50% difference in performance per watt between identically labeled chips, they would have said no.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cygni posted:

I think if you asked a random hardware enthusiast whether they thought there was still a 50% difference in performance per watt between identically labeled chips, they would have said no.

:same:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Cygni posted:

Surely they know about binning?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Surely they know about binning?

I'm a huge PC enthusiast and know about binning and a 50% variance across the same make/model is crazy to me.

edit:

:iiaca:

Imagine getting 50% variance in MPG between the same car make/model.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The video serves as a good reminder for veterans and a primer for newer PC builders who may not already know about the silicon lottery. No need to be all "We knew this already :smug:" about it

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I'm going to watch the video because yeah, I'm shocked by that much variance and I've been overclocking for ages.

I wonder if PBO is blasting tons of power in there to get no further than a manual overclock could have.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

50% is a hell of a lot. Was the gap always that big?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
After skimming the video, the temperatures were not correlated with power going into the chip, which can only mean that there were differences in thermal transfer to the cooler. All the old tricks can help there, like lapping the heat spreader or delidding.

We knew that delidding helped a ton:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_jaS_FZcjI

This is probably because of big variances in thermal paste inside of the extra thick AM5 spreader. Back in my day, the dies were soldered to the heat spreader so no, there was not this much variance.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

Back in my day, the dies were soldered to the heat spreader so no, there was not this much variance.

back in my day we cracked the die with a heatsink that we attached with a screwdriver that slipped off and scraped some caps off of the motherboard

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.
In my day we lubed up an abacus

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Inept posted:

back in my day we cracked the die with a heatsink that we attached with a screwdriver that slipped off and scraped some caps off of the motherboard
I definitely wore down the edges on my Athlon Thunderbird and XP. They never seemed to have issues so was it superficial or I just never hit those parts of the core? :confused:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The actual working part of the silicon is on the bottom, so any knicks or scratches on the topside shouldn't completely brick the chip.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Definitely cracked a core so bad on an Athlon XP that it shorted and left an etch of the writing on the giant copper slug heatsink I had.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Would just like to express my annoyance at gigabyte's stock fan curves and fan control functionality in their bios. Who thought it would be a good idea to max all of your fans out whenever the CPU touches 60C? On every single preset, including the "silent" preset! They also don't let you copy fan curves between fans, so you have to manually input a custom curve for every fan.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Twerk from Home posted:

After skimming the video, the temperatures were not correlated with power going into the chip, which can only mean that there were differences in thermal transfer to the cooler. All the old tricks can help there, like lapping the heat spreader or delidding.
Lets be real, basically nobody who purchases a 7600 non-Xs and future lower end SKUs are going to be lapping or delidding. But for sure, all the steps are additive. Silicon voltage characteristics, packaging, the solder application, the heat spreader uniformity, etc. And its def obvious in the results that the TIM/solder variance is playing a big role.

My thoughts are that regardless of which of those steps are in play though, the end user still apparently has a much bigger power and performance variation window to be aware of than I think most people thought. Thats something to remember.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the other thing that comes to mind in light of that video is that when product segmentation can come down an alleged spread of no more than 300 Mhz, how are manufacturers ensuring that there's actual value to these SKUs?

presumably you wouldn't ever see a 7600 non-X crossing into 7600X territory because in this particular case the power targets and clock speed difference is so much higher, but were there people who were getting 3600X, or even 3600XT-level performance out of their 3600s? is there any kind of validation in play to ensure that a 3600XT is/was always distinctly faster than its two preceding variants?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Would just like to express my annoyance at gigabyte's stock fan curves and fan control functionality in their bios. Who thought it would be a good idea to max all of your fans out whenever the CPU touches 60C? On every single preset, including the "silent" preset! They also don't let you copy fan curves between fans, so you have to manually input a custom curve for every fan.

I don't know if they changed it on AM5, but on my X570 Aorus Elite BIOS I can set one set of curves and apply it to multiple different fans. It's not the most intuitive design, and if I remember rightly (I'm not at home right now) it is a pop-up window that lets you select multiple fans from the various options. I think you can apply the same curve to all your fans, except maybe the chipset fan (which I don't think the newer boards have, anyway).

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

presumably you wouldn't ever see a 7600 non-X crossing into 7600X territory because in this particular case the power targets and clock speed difference is so much higher, but were there people who were getting 3600X, or even 3600XT-level performance out of their 3600s? is there any kind of validation in play to ensure that a 3600XT is/was always distinctly faster than its two preceding variants?

At one point my PC had a 3600x in it and my wife’s had a 3600. The 3600 ran cooler and seemed to held boost clocks better than my 3600x after setting +200MHz. Small differences but it was there.

There was very little difference between the 3600, X and XT out of the box so cooling and things like how much voltage the IOD/RAM needed could easily dominate.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

When I set up this X570S Aorus Master I definitely had a "copy curve to all fans" button and I think I could pick which fans "all" meant from there, but it was also definitely the opposite of intuitive. Maybe it's just the X-series boards have the fun fan curve buttons?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I think both my Gigabyte B450 and B550 ITX boards have this, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Is there a reason you're not using Fan Control?