Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

whalestory posted:

I tried booting and letting it sit for 10 minutes with displayport plugged into gpu, then did it again plugged into motherboard, then again plugged into motherboard with the gpu taken out, and now I'm trying plugged into motherboard with gpu and one ram stick taken out :twisted:

Oh yeah I also tried the Q flash plus thing but it it only stayed on for like 5 minutes before shutting off... what's that's about? That doesn't seem like nearly enough time, nor did it seem to do anything.

I think I'm going to keep removing stuff until it starts working, maybe even switch to hdmi, who knows. I'm getting sleepy :(

Another option is to pull everything except the CPU and see if it'll beep about missing RAM. This should include unplugging any drives/keyboards/mice etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

If the first 10-minute boot session didn't do it, then please don't feel compelled to keep waiting that long every boot attempt. There's something else wrong here. What do the diagnostic LEDs say, usually somewhere around the right edge of the board? Does it go back and forth between any of the lights, does it reach boot and stay there, or does it get stuck on anything else?

You can also try using one stick of RAM at a time in different slots. But I'm starting to think that you may need to RMA the board.

I just realized that the brightass led is a diagnostic led for CPU! So there's that! I couldn't read it earlier because it was this single red led that was so bright, it hid the other 3 (vga, dram, and boot). It stays there and makes me think that I need to really give another shot at updating the bios.

I can't imagine I did anything wrong seating the cpu and putting the AIO cooler on it...

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Double check the connection of the cpu power cable too. And it's always possible that there's a bent pin in the socket, so that's something you could (carefully) check.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Double check the connection of the cpu power cable too. And it's always possible that there's a bent pin in the socket, so that's something you could (carefully) check.

Good idea, but I'll have to remove my radiator to get to the drat thing :D. I'm starting to regret this top mounted AIO because the radiator makes all the top edge hard to access.

I think if that's still an issue, i'll try reseating the cpu, then if that doesn't work, I'm going to go crying to amazon or something

edit: ah, reconnecting the CPU and now it's... DRAM!

It doesn't show a DRAM error when it's doing memory training and stuff right? Time to move these sticks around...

edit2: wait now it's VGA instead of DRAM! what in the world

whalestory fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Apr 15, 2023

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

whalestory posted:

Good idea, but I'll have to remove my radiator to get to the drat thing :D. I'm starting to regret this top mounted AIO because the radiator makes all the top edge hard to access.

I think if that's still an issue, i'll try reseating the cpu, then if that doesn't work, I'm going to go crying to amazon or something

edit: ah, reconnecting the CPU and now it's... DRAM!

It doesn't show a DRAM error when it's doing memory training and stuff right? Time to move these sticks around...

edit2: wait now it's VGA instead of DRAM! what in the world

The lights aren't error lights, they are showing the stage of the bootup process it is in. It will move from CPU, to DRAM, to VGA, to Boot if everything is going well. When doing initial memory training, it may alternate between some of them a few times before finally booting. Their usefulness in detecting issues comes from seeing what phase of the boot process the board is failing at.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Apr 15, 2023

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Gotcha. Was thrown off because the motherboard manual said:
"If the CPU/DRAM/VGA LED is on, that means the corresponding device is not working
normally;"

Anyways, I'll keep fiddling away at this and put my gpu back in making sure the power connectors are all solid. Sorry to clog this up with tech support posts

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

We need to bring back POST cards as a standard with documented hex staging numbers so people can actually look up where in the boot process their new machines are hanging at.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
We are coming up on almost 30 years of ATX now. We've needed a new ground-up motherboard spec for almost twenty of them.

I am glad for the death of PATA and the ribbon cables that embodied them. (Even if I did have a set of kickin' rad UV reactive sleeved round cables) Floppy drives are dead. 12VO will go to some length in remedying the 24-pin connector and processor 4/8 pin bullshit. I'm sure in a few years 12VHPWR teething issues will be a forgotten thing of the past. But we still don't have a standardized front panel connector, fan headers are scattered around the motherboard in the stupidest places, and yes, why do cars have a diagnostic port in ODB II, but computers don't?

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Apr 15, 2023

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

There really ought to be a JTAG header on every motherboard.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Steve Nexus is right

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Bring back 7 segs

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

SwissArmyDruid posted:

We are coming up on almost 30 years of ATX now. We've needed a new ground-up motherboard spec for almost twenty of them.

I am glad for the death of PATA and the ribbon cables that embodied them. (Even if I did have a set of kickin' rad UV reactive sleeved round cables) Floppy drives are dead. 12VO will go to some length in remedying the 24-pin connector and processor 4/8 pin bullshit. I'm sure in a few years 12VHPWR teething issues will be a forgotten thing of the past. But we still don't have a standardized front panel connector, fan headers are scattered around the motherboard in the stupidest places, and yes, why do cars have a diagnostic port in ODB II, but computers don't?

Good news: I've been doing deep level test works on motherboards for over a decade and a half now and if you blast data to ISA port 0x80 on them, you can still make a POST card work.

It's a shame that's the closest we'll ever get to an x86 mobo version of OBD-II.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

Steve Nexus is right

yeah, someone get Stebe a forums account and link him this page so he can feel vindicated

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEjH775UeNg

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Yeah its too bad there are no PCIe P80 boot debug cards out there that are worth buying either. Just lots of crappo Chinese cards that may or may not work and come with no instructions to read the code numbers.

I have a old PCI one that still works but the mobos don't have the slots for it anymore.

It is real handy to have one on that first boot too for AM5. It took a while on mine and the only reason I knew it hadn't hanged was because the read out was still flipping through codes rapidly. They're nice for overclocking too sometimes.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

Steve Nexus is right

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
At some point (maybe my XP 2100 build?) I had a mobo that would output errors over audio. Like just say "memory test failed" or whatever. That was the most useful poo poo and I never understood why we regressed to blinking LEDs.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

That’d be because PC speakers are gone

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Yep. They don't even put the buzzers on the board.

They do still leave the pins on if you want them though.

I remember years back, I think it was Asrock, there was a mobo that at boot it'd display the codes on the screen briefly. Actually googling it a bit it looks like some of them still do that for AM4 at least. I dunno if they still do. Seems awfully handy.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
update from me: i removed my gpu and plugged dp into motherboard and now it's posting wtf. I did this yesterday and it didn't work then! I guess sleeping on it made my computer feel bad about owning me

Now I just need to update my bios somehow but it says no disk drive detected and then eventually plug in my gpu... :twisted:

edit: my usb drive somehow became NTFS again, so I must've messed up somewhere. Reformatted it to fat32 and it was detected, and then I updated my bios. After reboot, I'm getting no display signal and no status led lights are on :twisted: :twisted: Oh but actually, I turned off my computer and waited 5 minutes and turned it back on and the vga status led is back on. jesus christ

Okay the display started working after i turned off the computer, turned off the psu, then turned everything back on after a few minutes. It is mostly inscrutable as to why sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

edit 999: oh god it's working now and i'm not even sure what steps I took to do so. Windows installed and everything

whalestory fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 15, 2023

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

whalestory posted:

oh god it's working now and i'm not even sure what steps I took to do so.

I believe that's our communal epitaph, yeah

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

whalestory posted:

edit 999: oh god it's working now and i'm not even sure what steps I took to do so.

I always tell myself to do one thing at a time so I can get a better idea of what the actual problem was, but inevitably I lose track and get in that space of "I fixed it but have no idea how I did it." The best is when the problem recurs (like after a fresh install) and I know I can fix it, but don't know exactly how, and repeat the whole process over again.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

CBD Corndog posted:

yeah, someone get Stebe a forums account and link him this page so he can feel vindicated

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEjH775UeNg

lol, I missed that video. Steve is right.

edit: AND ALL THIS loving MOTHERBOARD ARMOR. loving WHY.

Josh Lyman posted:

Bring back 7 segs

At this point, why. I dream of a diag port that I can plug a cable into, maybe on the other end is my phone with a diagnostic app with other useful utilities built into it.

Or fine, make the standardized diag port, and then you have the option of either plugging in a little circuitboard with a few MB of non-volatile memory to store logs on that you can use on any motherboard with a port, with hexcode readout and maybe a few extra buttons for quick CMOS clear. (because that's another loving thing that motherboard manufacturers have been doing, skipping out on including jumpers for CMOS reset, and then placing the jumper for that underneath the GPUs. Thank god I have an altoids tin FULL of the little fuckers, salvaged from dead hard drives and older motherboards so they have the extra little plastic tab to make them easier to yank. I have picked up the trick of wiring the case's reset button into two-pin CMOS clear jumpers to make my life easier while I'm diagnosing a problem, BUT EVEN CASE MANUFACTUERS ARE SKIPPING OUT ON THE RESET BUTTONS THESE DAYS so I have a reset switch on some leads that I salvaged out of a case specifically for this purpose.)

Or, you can plug in a cable that goes to an app on your phone that logs, reads the error codes, a detailed description of what it means, possible remediation steps, and a more advanced "Unbrick My BIOS" functionality. Just being able to evacuate logs onto an internet-connected device so you can send it to someone else that might be able to help you? <chefkiss>

I don't loving know.

All I know is that a boot code on its own is sometimes is no more informative than a blink or beep code.

God I loving hate ATX so much.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Apr 16, 2023

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Boot code is better because you can Google “MSI Dominator Pro Q820-P boot code FU” and find the random forum post telling you that you needed to anoint your TPM with oils or whatever

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Subjunctive posted:

Boot code is better because you can Google “MSI Dominator Pro Q820-P boot code FU” and find the random forum post telling you that you needed to anoint your TPM with oils or whatever

Praise the Omnissiah.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

SwissArmyDruid posted:

lol, I missed that video. Steve is right.

edit: AND ALL THIS loving MOTHERBOARD ARMOR. loving WHY.

At this point, why. I dream of a diag port that I can plug a cable into, maybe on the other end is my phone with a diagnostic app with other useful utilities built into it.

Or fine, make the standardized diag port, and then you have the option of either plugging in a little circuitboard with a few MB of non-volatile memory to store logs on that you can use on any motherboard with a port, with hexcode readout and maybe a few extra buttons for quick CMOS clear. (because that's another loving thing that motherboard manufacturers have been doing, skipping out on including jumpers for CMOS reset, and then placing the jumper for that underneath the GPUs. Thank god I have an altoids tin FULL of the little fuckers, salvaged from dead hard drives and older motherboards so they have the extra little plastic tab to make them easier to yank. I have picked up the trick of wiring the case's reset button into two-pin CMOS clear jumpers to make my life easier while I'm diagnosing a problem, BUT EVEN CASE MANUFACTUERS ARE SKIPPING OUT ON THE RESET BUTTONS THESE DAYS so I have a reset switch on some leads that I salvaged out of a case specifically for this purpose.)

Or, you can plug in a cable that goes to an app on your phone that logs, reads the error codes, a detailed description of what it means, possible remediation steps, and a more advanced "Unbrick My BIOS" functionality. Just being able to evacuate logs onto an internet-connected device so you can send it to someone else that might be able to help you? <chefkiss>

I don't loving know.

All I know is that a boot code on its own is sometimes is no more informative than a blink or beep code.

God I loving hate ATX so much.

I was thinking you could embed NFC into the rear IO somewhere, and then just update that with an error code. Any recent phone could read it and look it up through a website or manufacturers app. You'd need a tiny bit of circuitry to update the tag and the tag itself, but everything else would be externalized so no need to waste time on code to set different LCD segment displays or beeping, etc. Could also extend it to have it spit out serial numbers, manufacturing dates, or even current BIOS settings, for OEMs to enable field techs or other big service providers.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

SwissArmyDruid posted:

we already removed the AT power connectors where every physically possible mating combination (at least 24 of them) will blow up the mobo except the correct one, what more do you want

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Palladium posted:

we already removed the AT power connectors where every physically possible mating combination (at least 24 of them) will blow up the mobo except the correct one, what more do you want

Black to black! I still remember. What a stupid design that was

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

EoRaptor posted:

I was thinking you could embed NFC into the rear IO somewhere

What do you propose to run the full Bluetooth stack on while bringing up the CPU?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
You can buy a tiny pc speaker but I'm not sure if all motherboards still have the header for it

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Last time I had an issue with my previous motherboard that had a DrDebug LED, it was a pain in the rear end to even find a list of codes.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

everywhere on the forums is talking about path of exile these days eh

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Asus Armoury Crate phone edition!

Give me a 7 segment display and a list of boot codes, please

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

gradenko_2000 posted:

You can buy a tiny pc speaker but I'm not sure if all motherboards still have the header for it

I want my PC speaker to be 7.1.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Subjunctive posted:

I want my PC speaker to be 7.1.

Back in the olden days, sound cards had a PC Speaker in header you could connect to the motherboard's out so your POST beeps would play through your fancy Altec Lansings

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

BlueDriver phone support but it's just people with post LED codes at the ready for every mobo

also, surprised the stereo out couldn't be used to provide diagnostic info, just have different frequencies tied to each code and have... a phone with an aux port, and an app to translate the noise info into actual info. My mobo only has like 6 error codes anyway and it has LED's so I guess I would include a feature that uses the camera. Now that I'm thinking about it that seems like more effort than googling, but if you did repair and all you had to do was stick a 3.5 jack in the back and boot it up and have something readable then I can see it being useful.

Cars do have a ton of different diagnostic messages

90% of mobo problems for my builds have always been ram not being seated 100% correctly

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

mdxi posted:

What do you propose to run the full Bluetooth stack on while bringing up the CPU?

NFC has nothing to do with Bluetooth.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

EoRaptor posted:

NFC has nothing to do with Bluetooth.

Also nrf5340s are everywhere

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

gently caress bluetooth, NFC and every other piece of bullshit that requires hundreds of thousands of lines of code in firmware to properly be able to display an error.

It's possible to encode the entire alphanumerical character set (if you take advantage of both normal case and capital case, like the segment7 font does), and that lets you cover 73 errors just with a one seven segment display.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

gently caress bluetooth, NFC and every other piece of bullshit that requires hundreds of thousands of lines of code in firmware to properly be able to display an error.

It's possible to encode the entire alphanumerical character set (if you take advantage of both normal case and capital case, like the segment7 font does), and that lets you cover 73 errors just with a one seven segment display.

NFC would be simpler to set than a display. Literally just dumping ascii into an address on a serial bus that is actually a bit of flash rom behind the scenes. Everything else is handled by the reader. It doesn't even need power to read, as long as there was some power to complete the write, power is supplied by the reader, so you could pull up 'last status' without needing to supply power to the board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

yeah NFC would be great for low-level diagnostics and I don't know why it isn't used more often