Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

RichterIX posted:

I think you could probably just peel it at this point, mine looks like you could get it off in pieces if you started chipping away at the worn edges.

I've wondered if I could paint one with clear nail polish to slow it down if I ever start with a fresh one.

It’s real fussy and only wants to come off in little bits, and only when it feels like it. I took your idea and sealed the border with my wife’s UV-setting clear coat nail polish. The results are a bit of a mess visually but it feels fine after buffing and cleaning. It’s not like the peeling looked great to start with, and most importantly, I haven’t had any flakes since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Any of you bought a replacement battery? All the random ones on Amazon look sketchy

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Nintendo still sells them if you have a 3DS XL or 3DS

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

They are sold out and I'm guessing they aren't coming back.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

drat, makes me glad I grabbed two at the last minute.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

elf help book posted:

Any of you bought a replacement battery? All the random ones on Amazon look sketchy

Anecdotal but I bought a sketchy looking one on Amazon for my New 3DS XL and it's been perfect for like 2.5 years so far, kind of a tight fit though.

It was this one specifically: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017DVY9OG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

My $99 mugen chonky battery is still going strong. It’s like 5 of the standard batteries lol

Edit ok it’s actually

Mugen Power boasts that this particular battery will offer 3.57 times the stamina of the standard battery, and during our tests we found that certainly seems to be the case

mem
Sep 1, 2005
Ifixit sells 3ds batteries.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I thought it was the same one that was in the pro controller?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
For regular 3DS and 2DS yeah, The XL batt is a bit bigger

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
What sort of micro SD card is recommended for running games off of? I'm assuming there's a point where the older hardware can't take advantage of faster write speeds, etc. Looking at ditching my physical library for my upcoming move.

Also, just double checking: if I wanted to switch to a different SD in the future, I just copy the files across and I'm good to go?

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

e: Oof, wrong thread. I don't really remember the 3DS SD card situation.

Zat fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Apr 14, 2023

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

OP was asking about the 3DS, not the Switch, though.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Ethics_Gradient posted:

What sort of micro SD card is recommended for running games off of? I'm assuming there's a point where the older hardware can't take advantage of faster write speeds, etc. Looking at ditching my physical library for my upcoming move.

Also, just double checking: if I wanted to switch to a different SD in the future, I just copy the files across and I'm good to go?

Reputable brand SD, 32 GB is probably enough. If you get a bigger one you need to use a special tool to format it to FAT32.

You can just copy the files from one card to another without issue as long as you copy everything and ensure both are FAT32.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Any modern SD card will do as long as it's from a reputable brand, the 3DS is old enough that cards under Class 10 are rare brand new. Whatever you'll buy now is likely to be C10/UHS-1 or above, which should meet the speed spec, so just focus on the brand/seller instead

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
If you wanna have like, one set of games on one card and another on another and swap them, is that fine?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Saoshyant posted:

Reputable brand SD, 32 GB is probably enough. If you get a bigger one you need to use a special tool to format it to FAT32.

Is right-click, Format on Windows insufficient?

I ask bc I've got another situation where I need old hardware to read a large FAT32 filesystem and haven't gotten it to work yet lol

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Killingyouguy! posted:

Is right-click, Format on Windows insufficient?

I ask bc I've got another situation where I need old hardware to read a large FAT32 filesystem and haven't gotten it to work yet lol

No it's not. Get guiformat. It's free and simple to use.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
New n3dsxl batteries are on sale at Nintendo's website again.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Saoshyant posted:

You can just copy the files from one card to another without issue as long as you copy everything and ensure both are FAT32.

Ignis posted:

Any modern SD card will do as long as it's from a reputable brand, the 3DS is old enough that cards under Class 10 are rare brand new. Whatever you'll buy now is likely to be C10/UHS-1 or above, which should meet the speed spec, so just focus on the brand/seller instead

Thanks for that. I had seen about FAT32 but was unaware you couldn't just do that in Windows.

I long ago decided to just eat the retail markup on SD cards to avoid all the Amazon/eBay fakes.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

drilldo squirt posted:

New n3dsxl batteries are on sale at Nintendo's website again.

Sick, thank you

Areola Grande
Jan 2, 2015

it's a free country u pervs

elf help book posted:

Sick, thank you

sold out again already :ferrari:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i just switched out my XL's battery (snagged an official replacement last month) and read somewhere that i should let it run down and then charge it back up to full. i'm assuming there's no harm in doing that?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

thebardyspoon posted:

If you wanna have like, one set of games on one card and another on another and swap them, is that fine?

Yeah that works, but a 256 or even 400 can be had for cheap

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
If you have a new3DS I wouldn’t recommend fussing with the SD card more than necessary. That back plate is thin and prone to cracking and the screws are made of candle wax and will strip at the slightest bit of pressure. Just get the biggest compatible SD card and load it up and then FTP into it if you ever need to mess with it

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
yeah the FTP stuff isn't the fastest but the hshop app makes it about as painless as possible and has everything you could want outside of doing stuff like psx emulation. the hshop site has QR code downloads as well so outside of the initial cracking there's really no reason to pop off your back plate like ever

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Getting really close on pulling the trigger on a new old stock New 3DS XL. As long as it is actually what it says and the battery hasn't exploded inside it or anything it should be good.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I think that there will probably be non-sketchy third party batteries made in the near future. It’s been over twenty years since the GBA SP came out, so obviously lithium ion battery tech got better since, and there’s a third party one that’s even better than the OEM one. I don’t doubt that some enthusiast will make them for 3DS too.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Geez, a GBA SP battery that's better than the official one must last years on a charge, SP batteries lasted forever.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Any OEM ones would be getting on in years, but yeah. That said, a lot of folks are using Everdrives these days, which use more power than a normal GBA game. The battery I linked there helps a ton. I haven’t bought the battery myself but a friend got it and noticed a big improvement.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It last a good while if you don’t swap the screen for an IPS replacement

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Finally got around to replacing the joystick on my 3DS. I tried a couple of the ones from ebay but they were just bad. They didn't feel right at all and were molded in one piece of hard plastic. Stumbled on a reddit thread though which linked this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...id=wDbMHX1sApy7 So I figured I'd try it. Arrived the other day and it feels much much closer to the original. It's still not OEM but it's a hell of a lot better for less than a pound.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

The memes were right. It is easy to hack a 3DS.

I guess being in the privileged position of having an n3DS XL, n3DS, and n2DS XL my big first world problem would be not having the save files be readily portable across them the way swapping a cart over would be , but I guess what that really tells me is I need to pick one and sell the other two.

It's so asinine that the SD card requires having a little screwdriver on hand to remove the bottom plate to access on the 3DS. For a battery replacement I get it, but a memory card?

hatty posted:

It last a good while if you don’t swap the screen for an IPS replacement

On the flipside, the OEM screen on an original GBA is absolutely tragic.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Ethics_Gradient posted:

On the flipside, the OEM screen on an original GBA is absolutely tragic.

Yeah true but I think both styles of OEM SP screens are pretty decent and sometimes the IPS replacements looks a bit worse. I love the screen door effect

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Don't sell them. They don't make them anymore. I bought an extra one because it's my favorite console and I wanted a backup even if I never use it.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

having a save of a game in twilight menu++ and then the same game as a ds cartridge in the 3ds doesn't affect the save in the cartridge right? im just double checking but im like, 99% sure nothing weird happens?

also yeah the new 3ds putting the sd card behind the backplate is :psyduck:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

No, Twilight Menu redirects all read/write requests from the cartridge slot to the SD card, you won't do anything to cartridge games you have in the slot.

Mummy Napkin
Mar 18, 2018
Modded my new 3ds xl I had laying around and downloaded Fantasy Life off of the hshop on a wim and drat is this a charming little game

the 3ds rules

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

The 2DS XL has the SD card under the same awful plastic flap where you put in the game cartridges, so it has that going for it.

I just wish mine wasn't the awful Minecraft Creeper edition... I got it for cheap, but it's so embarrassing to look at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The 2ds batteries are up on Nintendo’s site as of this post
https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/battery-pack-rsoc-103975/

I ended up ordering a New 3DS XL. Hopefully it ends up being in good working order. I’d like Nintendo to get some more of those batteries in stock in case I need them.