Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Got a new bike and went for a leisurely ride. I came across a little possom frozen in the middle of the street. I was a bit surprised to find a possom in the city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Got a new bike and went for a leisurely ride. I came across a little possom frozen in the middle of the street. I was a bit surprised to find a possom in the city.

Possums are street trash, and I love them. They mostly only come out a night, but they're out there protecting you from lime disease in the ticks, and actual limes in the trash.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i think we live in the same city and i see them somewhat regularly at night

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Mystic Mongol posted:

Possums are street trash, and I love them. They mostly only come out a night, but they're out there protecting you from lime disease in the ticks, and actual limes in the trash.

the oakland A's visiting broadcast booth has been closed since sometime last season because there's a possum living in the ceiling and they're just giving one of the box suites to the visiting team broadcast booth in the meantime.
https://twitter.com/FOS/status/1647312725456871424

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

lobster shirt posted:

i think we live in the same city and i see them somewhat regularly at night

It was in the middle of the day!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

instead of drivers we should hug and kiss possums

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Mystic Mongol posted:

but they're out there protecting you from lime disease in the ticks
Bad news https://www.fieldandstream.com/conservation/possums-dont-eat-ticks/

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

gently caress this anti-possum propaganda

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

It was in the middle of the day!

oh wow that is surprising actually lol, never seen one of those guys in sunlight

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Possums, raccoons, and skunks: Trash Team Assemble!

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

fermun posted:

the oakland A's visiting broadcast booth has been closed since sometime last season because there's a possum living in the ceiling and they're just giving one of the box suites to the visiting team broadcast booth in the meantime.
https://twitter.com/FOS/status/1647312725456871424

it's his booth he's supposed to be there!

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
I didn't know squirrels were omnivores until I saw one eating hot wings out of the trash by my old apartment

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

spacemang_spliff posted:

I didn't know squirrels were omnivores until I saw one eating hot wings out of the trash by my old apartment

I BBQ the squirrels i shoot out of my bird feeders and then feed them to my chickens, yin and yang

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Most herbivores will eat meat if given the opportunity. It’s just that they aren’t good enough at murder to make a habit out of it.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
all cars must be destroyed 🚗 💥

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
It makes me super angry that the american traffic light standard is to put pedestrians and cars into conflict specifically by allowing right turn on red and left turns while the cross walk is lit. Peoples dumbass lizard brains thing "oh green arrow / blinky means im good" and just fuckin blast and you know, honestly its a reasonable reaction BECAUSE WHAT KIND OF loving MORONS WOULD MAKE IT SO PEDESTRIANS WALK AT THE SAME TIME AS THE TURNERS.

Cars loving suck and our entire system specifically makes them suck even more.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 58 minutes!
astros ftw

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

silicone thrills posted:

It makes me super angry that the american traffic light standard is to put pedestrians and cars into conflict specifically by allowing right turn on red and left turns while the cross walk is lit. Peoples dumbass lizard brains thing "oh green arrow / blinky means im good" and just fuckin blast and you know, honestly its a reasonable reaction BECAUSE WHAT KIND OF loving MORONS WOULD MAKE IT SO PEDESTRIANS WALK AT THE SAME TIME AS THE TURNERS.

people get mad if you yield for a pedestrian in a crosswalk lol

or you could creep out into the intersection and hope you don't get t boned

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

silicone thrills posted:

Don't forget that you are also legally obligated to cross when and where said idiots will be turning.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

silicone thrills posted:

America gives you the blinky green turn arrow while the crosswalk is lit? Holy poo poo that's dire

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

PittTheElder posted:

America gives you the blinky green turn arrow while the crosswalk is lit? Holy poo poo that's dire

lol yep. About 5 years ago I was having to drive for work and I had like the blinky yellow left turn arrow, traffic cleared and I was looking around, started the turn and realized there was a pedestrian with a lit walk arrow going through. I was immediately frustrated that the system literally was designed to create that kind of conflict and now all I notice as a pedestrian and when im driving is how many purposeful conflicts exist.

Apr 7, 2003

I used to get nearly run over multiple times a week here by people turning right on red while the crosswalk is active

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I used to get nearly run over multiple times a week here by people turning right on red while the crosswalk is active

Sounds like driving a car would have solved your problem?

Apr 7, 2003

no

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Interesting, interesting. I mean, people have been accusing Possums of eating boatloads of ticks since waaaaay before 2009, and this Dr. Bret Collier is claiming to have found problems in a study without taking part in it or trying to recreate the findings. He believes the original study just missed hundreds of ticks on the animals they were studying for ticks. Those scientists weren't paying as much attention as he was, someone in a different state, thirteen years later. But hey, he didn't find evidence of tick consumption in a small population of opossums in a limited area who were already dead. It's a wonder no one's given him a Nobel prize yet.

Opossums are Real and Strong and My Friends! :argh:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

Sounds like driving a car would have solved your problem?

In the same way that introducing cats fixed the rat problem in Australia I guess?

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Thinking about it, I got hit at a crossing by a car making a right turn once. My ex had an almost fatal car crash, my other ex got run over while biking as a kid… If cars were that deadly my sentimental life would have been non existent and you wouldn’t be reading this post. (two net positives, let’s be honest !)

Jokes aside I had to commute by car daily for the first time in my life last month and it was less awful than I anticipated. It was a chill 20 minutes drive through empty country roads so all I really had to watch out for was jackrabbits and deers. :3:

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

Jokes aside I had to commute by car daily for the first time in my life last month and it was less awful than I anticipated. It was a chill 20 minutes drive through empty country roads so all I really had to watch out for was jackrabbits and deers. :3:

So you’re saying the drive was nice because there weren’t any other cars, huh?

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

McCracAttack posted:

So you’re saying the drive was nice because there weren’t any other cars, huh?

yup that’s exactly my point.

The town I lived in was a hellish car centric nightmare though. :(

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Thinking about the time a drunk driver rear-ended someone to my right at a stoplight. He hit them hard enough to cause a three-car pileup. I didn't really think about it at the time but if he had gone a bit left instead and hit my bike, my life would probably have been forever altered.

It was pretty funny to see him try to get away with his wrecked front end though, while three people (including myself) were beating the poo poo out of him and trying to wrestle the keys from his ignition.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

Thinking about the time a drunk driver rear-ended someone to my right at a stoplight. He hit them hard enough to cause a three-car pileup. I didn't really think about it at the time but if he had gone a bit left instead and hit my bike, my life would probably have been forever altered.

It was pretty funny to see him try to get away with his wrecked front end though, while three people (including myself) were beating the poo poo out of him and trying to wrestle the keys from his ignition.

the drunk driver that rear-ended my friend and I at 60 mph, pushing us into a ditch that ended up flattening the front and back of the car and leaving us facing the opposite direction on the other side of the road, tried to drive his truck away from the scene because "he had to go to work" (it was 10pm on New Years Eve lol)

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Jesus Christ. What happened, did he end up booked?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
we were both very lucky (and young) and walked away from the crash with no injuries, although I do think it's probably the origin of some of the back and shoulder problems I have today.

the driver who hit us was charged with driving with a suspended license and drunk driving, I think it was a six months probation sentence but this was 12 years ago at this point so who can recall

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

theyre good

Apr 7, 2003

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

we were both very lucky (and young) and walked away from the crash with no injuries, although I do think it's probably the origin of some of the back and shoulder problems I have today.

My spinal problems are a direct result of getting hit by a tractor trailer and rolled over at highway speeds in 2001, it did a number on my vertibrae pedicules but I didn't know it at the time.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
There should be a government program for paying out people who have long-term damage from car accidents that doesn't show up for years. It should be funded by the auto insurance companies.

We will never do this, because having to pay something closer to the actual cost for driving would make driving too expensive.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

there should be a government program to destroy all cars!!!!!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Ham Equity posted:

There should be a government program for paying out people who have long-term damage from car accidents that doesn't show up for years. It should be funded by the auto insurance companies.

We will never do this, because having to pay something closer to the actual cost for driving would make driving too expensive.

You guys should do like the better (on this issue) Canadian provinces and have the states just offer car insurance directly (which will inevitably drive the private insurance companies out of business which is why you will never do this)

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
minimum liability insurance is still $30,000 per incident, $15,000 per person in the incident, $5,000 for property damage per incident

if it went up, car owners would have to buy more insurance and pay higher premiums

then many wouldn't be able to drive

I love to subsidize other people's cars with my own body

"it's cool dude, I'll just not get more than $15k of treatment for the injuries I suffered because you didn't feel like looking at the road."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Greg12 posted:

minimum liability insurance is still $30,000 per incident, $15,000 per person in the incident, $5,000 for property damage per incident

if it went up, car owners would have to buy more insurance and pay higher premiums

then many wouldn't be able to drive

I love to subsidize other people's cars with my own body

"it's cool dude, I'll just not get more than $15k of treatment for the injuries I suffered because you didn't feel like looking at the road."

This varies by state, but all of the liability limits are woefully inadequate for the American healthcare system.

And all of the property limits are wildly inadequate for any vehicle weighing what a modern car weighs. These cars can destroy buildings, and they have $10k in property coverage.