Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

I found a Reddit post from six months ago talking about a glitch where states with ports would be considered "isolated" until the save was reloaded: https://www.reddit.com/r/victoria3/comments/yhhmud/problem_with_state_isolation/

Actually, does your capital have a connection to a port?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

The perfect image doesn't exis-

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

really queer Christmas posted:

The perfect image doesn't exis-

I don't know why but this reminds me that it's annoying as hell to not be able to see the legitimacy of each government combo until you've actively clicked it

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I'm really pissed off about Louis-Napoleon.

I'd just come to terms with the fact that it is mechanically impossible to have Emperor Napoleon III and was willing to be content with a presidential dictatorship led by Louis-Napoleon, and after finally succeeding at 1) making France a republic 2) getting Napoleon as leader of armed forces (part of the legitimiste party, of course) 3) creating an insurmountable electoral lead for the armed forces, making Napoleon president 4) passing oligarchy against the wishes of all the radicals created by the Springtime of Nations that accomplished 1).

And Napoleon dies.

Turns out going from voting franchise to no voting franchise as a republic will kill the current president.

What? Why does it work like this?? Why would you possibly program it this way????

It feels like a cruel joke that Paradox put in a unique flag for Napoleon then made it just about impossible to get him to actually lead France as president for life, let alone as emperor. I guess we have to wait for the inevitable France DLC.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Interesting country you might not have noticed: Harar

They're considered to be part of the Ethiopian "age of princes" so you get the awesome special CB to unify Ethiopia, but you're also able to immediately expand outside of Ethiopia in the early game due to better geography

They have Somali as a primary culture as well as Amhara, which means by default you tolerate the exact same cultures that the rest of Ethiopia do (they all share the same culture traits + heritage), plus Somali on top of that. This significantly means you have a primary culture with the middle eastern trait so once you reform your culture laws you will tolerate the Arabic North African cultures without requiring multiculturalism. This makes expansion to your north and east more useful.

Kenya is a Somali homeland so you can colonise the province at full speed before getting quinine, this also means you can get a head start on getting into the coal-bearing region of East Africa and the minors around Lake Tanganyika, albeit very slowly unless you rush research quinine

They're Sunni which means although you don't tolerate the Oriental Orthodox pops in the rest of Ethiopia, once you start expanding into the rest of Africa you don't religiously discriminate against as many pops you conquer (again, this helps with expanding into Somalia and exploiting their iron resources)

In terms of laws and stuff you're exactly the same as the rest of the Ethiopian minor states but I found it a lot more fun to play than the "usual" start as Shewa since you can get into the fun part of the game (i.e. building up your coal and iron industries) significantly faster

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
ooh thanks for that discovery. gonna try them for my next game (as soon as I finish the Hegemon chieve with Grossegermany)

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

If you're wishing to be the dominant colonizer in Africa, then it usually pays to rush the colonization techs, especially malaria prevention. I've had a few campaigns now where I've built lots of universities and let my technology spread carry me while spending 3 - 4 years researching malaria prevention. The jump start you have on sub-saharan africa after doing this is huge, and you usually don't even end up too far behind technologically.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Popoto posted:

ooh thanks for that discovery. gonna try them for my next game (as soon as I finish the Hegemon chieve with Grossegermany)

Just don't form Ethiopia, it changes your primary cultures and you lose Somali. It also removes the unification CB and doesn't even seem to give you claims which is weird.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
I think I might be close to getting the Empire Under The Pun achievement. There are 20 years left, The Sikh Empire is ranked 4th, and I’m on track to win a war that will liberate Canada and Ireland.

As I type this out I’m thinking that liberating Ireland was a mistake, and that I might reload and swap Open Market + Lib Ireland for some conquer state plays in Africa. England’s substantial interior holdings are very vulnerable to being surrounded and isolated from their market. That might be enough to collapse their manufacturing base …

Some notes for anyone else looking to have some fun in the Pun:

* Having none of either, you (obviously) need ports and iron mines asap. Literally the first thing you should do is start a play to conquer Sindh or Baluchistan, and then make vassals out of Afghanistan and Persia (annexing Afghanistan sooner rather than later - more iron)

* You’re going to have a *lot* of trouble with turmoil penalties. Just keep rotating road maintenance and violent suppression onto whichever unincorporated state you’re currently building in.

* Make friends with the Europeans. Ultimately you want an alliance with France; Russia is a good choice until then. At the moment I think I have Portugal as a subject and Italy, the Ottomans, and an assortment of randos in my Customs Union.

* I haven’t been able to find a way to prevent the British Raj from forming, but if you can stop it that’s probably amazing! Otherwise. assuming The Raj, you should start a liberation war the moment you can convince France to help you (if you play your cards right you can also get recognition out of that war).

Things I wish I had done differently:

* I waited too long to annex Persia and if any one thing hoses this run it’ll be that; they have vast (vast!) mineral wealth and 5 (I think?) states you can stick naval bases in.

* I kept antagonizing Bengal and I think a better approach would have been to improve relations and get them in a customs union.

* Don’t bother with Pan Nationalism because the Unify India play on Bengal gives you something like 350 infamy lol

* Maybe try grabbing multiculturalism early? The 200 authority you’ll lose will be more than offset by not needing violent suppression (although you’ll also need new voting laws so it’s probably closer to losing 300-400 authority).

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
Next up is the the other Very Hard achievement (American Territory) but I don’t see even a glimmer of a path to victory on that one.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

BBJoey posted:

I'm really pissed off about Louis-Napoleon.

I'd just come to terms with the fact that it is mechanically impossible to have Emperor Napoleon III and was willing to be content with a presidential dictatorship led by Louis-Napoleon, and after finally succeeding at 1) making France a republic 2) getting Napoleon as leader of armed forces (part of the legitimiste party, of course) 3) creating an insurmountable electoral lead for the armed forces, making Napoleon president 4) passing oligarchy against the wishes of all the radicals created by the Springtime of Nations that accomplished 1).

And Napoleon dies.

Turns out going from voting franchise to no voting franchise as a republic will kill the current president.

What? Why does it work like this?? Why would you possibly program it this way????

It feels like a cruel joke that Paradox put in a unique flag for Napoleon then made it just about impossible to get him to actually lead France as president for life, let alone as emperor. I guess we have to wait for the inevitable France DLC.

Switching distributions of power should really pop an event for the current head of state to work out their place in the new order of things.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Vagabong posted:

Switching distributions of power should really pop an event for the current head of state to work out their place in the new order of things.

It's a bit outside the era, but yeah there's precedent in the form of Norodom Sihanouk, who is the exact kind of figure that would have been perfect for V3 had he been born about one hundred years earlier.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
Thank loving Christ we'll finally be able to control who's an IG leader, and have better control over which laws are available to pass!

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/529340/view/6977806583263239767

The DLC announcement will get people malding into the stratosphere though.

TwoQuestions fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Apr 20, 2023

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
brb, exporting 1 unit of Lenin via railway to Russia.

EDIT: I love this! I can't wait for this DLC! It sounds awesome!!

quote:

Are you sick and tired of that one Agrarian Party leader with inexplicably high Popularity stealing votes from your cherished Liberals? Is there a Radical Agitator spreading dangerous ideas in your bastion of political reaction? Well I’ve got a solution for you: Exile. Inconvenient characters can now be expelled from your nation and driven into political exile, up for grabs for whatever nation wants to harbor your unpatriotic dissidents. On the other side of things, perhaps you feel like your nation needs a shakeup, and that Danish Anarchist Exile would be just the man for the job - you can peruse the list of available Exiles and invite them to your country as an Agitator.

This is not only historic as a thing that countries did to people back then, but I also hope for wacky ahistoric nonsense like Karl Marx being exiled to America and starting a revolution there or being elected president or something.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Apr 20, 2023

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Making the "get rid of a lovely character" button into a DLC feature does kind of feel like a pay to win situation but I'll reserve judgement until we know how this all fits together.

Agitators are a good concept but I'm still hoping that there will be some meaningful politics internal to IGs and not just some kind of revolving door system of inviting in new foreign exiles until you get the right one

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

DrSunshine posted:

brb, exporting 1 unit of Lenin via railway to Russia.

EDIT: I love this! I can't wait for this DLC! It sounds awesome!!

This is not only historic as a thing that countries did to people back then, but I also hope for wacky ahistoric nonsense like Karl Marx being exiled to America and starting a revolution there or being elected president or something.

Marx almost moved to Texas at one point so it wouldn’t be that big a deviation

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ithle01 posted:

It's a bit outside the era, but yeah there's precedent in the form of Norodom Sihanouk, who is the exact kind of figure that would have been perfect for V3 had he been born about one hundred years earlier.

There is also, in the era, President Louis-Napoléon Bonaparte Emperor Napoléon III Bonaparte :france: :v:

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Apr 20, 2023

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

He did?? I didn't know that! :lmao:

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Am I going insane or DevDiary uses different colors in UI compared to Victoria 3? I think I saw a mod that switches red backgrounds to blue, maybe devs have embraced it.

Edit: Oh, they talk about it in DevDiary, forgive my blindness.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

ilitarist posted:

Am I going insane or DevDiary uses different colors in UI compared to Victoria 3? I think I saw a mod that switches red backgrounds to blue, maybe devs have embraced it.

They straight-up say in the dev diary that the immersion pack is coming with a new ui theme.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

trotsky lived in NYC for a while and everyone hated him because he didn't tip

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I would like to thank the leader of my Devout faction for overton window-ing an education system and charity hospitals, now please get out of my country and never come back.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

i do hope you can do something with exiled agitators to gently caress up politics in their home countries, since being able to interfere in your rivals politics is sorely missing in the game

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

collecting every single British exile then releasing them back all at once like its Gamemaster Anthony's birthday

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

i do hope you can do something with exiled agitators to gently caress up politics in their home countries, since being able to interfere in your rivals politics is sorely missing in the game

in the dev diary thread they confirmed you can send exiles back to their home countries but said that'll be covered in a later diary

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

trotsky lived in NYC for a while and everyone hated him because he didn't tip

This quote is one of my "radicals in exile" favorites:

Trotsky-- My Life posted:

Bukharin was one of the first people I met in New York; he had been deported from Scandinavia only a short time before. He had known us in the Vienna days, and welcomed us with the childish exuberance characteristic of him. Although it was late, and we were very tired, Bukharin insisted on dragging us off to the Public Library the very first day.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

RabidWeasel posted:

Making the "get rid of a lovely character" button into a DLC feature does kind of feel like a pay to win situation but I'll reserve judgement until we know how this all fits together.

Agitators are a good concept but I'm still hoping that there will be some meaningful politics internal to IGs and not just some kind of revolving door system of inviting in new foreign exiles until you get the right one
As someone who will 100% be getting all the slop for this game because I love the base game so much... yeah. "Exile character" being DLC feels like they're trying to get sales from people trying to fix something annoying that's been deliberately left in the game to sell DLC, and that feels lovely.

Really looking forward to all the other features though! More control over the ideology of interest groups was my biggest desire in this game, and this seems like an interesting way of addressing it!

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
It would have been nice if they had focused on broken things in the base game such as the frontline system and wars not being fun before pumping out DLCs.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
They mention in the dev diary that this is done by a different team than the people that did the 1.2 patch.

quote:

Time for a team update! Since around the game’s release, the Victoria 3 team has transitioned from being a project aimed at delivering a single product - Victoria 3 1.0 - to a team that can work on multiple updates simultaneously. We’ve divided ourselves into three sub-teams with different focuses, sizes, and fields of expertise. For instance the “Machinists” team was responsible for bringing you the 1.2 Update, and is defined by a focus on systems design and code-heavy tasks. Voice of the People and 1.3 is primarily the work of the “Academics” and “Artisans” teams, which focus on narrative design/scripted content and art respectively.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Eiba posted:

As someone who will 100% be getting all the slop for this game because I love the base game so much... yeah. "Exile character" being DLC feels like they're trying to get sales from people trying to fix something annoying that's been deliberately left in the game to sell DLC, and that feels lovely.

Really looking forward to all the other features though! More control over the ideology of interest groups was my biggest desire in this game, and this seems like an interesting way of addressing it!

Yeah if flavour packs are meant to represent flavours for specific regions, including world-wide gameplay mechanics like the exiles is a bit eeeeeeeeh. Independently of having to purchase the mechanic in a DLC, I think this whole flavour packs looks really good.

Takanago posted:

They mention in the dev diary that this is done by a different team than the people that did the 1.2 patch.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was started back in October. DLCs probably have a long pre-prod/prod/post-prod phases that you can't rev inside two months like most people think.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Pump it up! Do it! posted:

It would have been nice if they had focused on broken things in the base game such as the frontline system and wars not being fun before pumping out DLCs.
The DLC is accompanied by a patch that fixes way more important issues, like a lack of interactivity with political parties.

Even though I dislike the pay-to-exile feature, they're definitely working on the right bits right now, and throwing out a paid flavor pack to keep things going is a good idea.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Really dislike hiding mechanics in paid flavor packs. I also hope that they don’t put all the new and coming events in paid packs but add some of them for free as well, considering the rather considerable lack of events and flavor that the game shipped with.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

just a friendly reminder to distinguish the ones working on the game (like Wiz) from people who set business practices and policies for the game. Honestly, this type of game has so many moving parts and system considerations that makes me imagine that expansion packs of old would be better instead of dlc granularity, since there's so much stuff possible to work on that makes sense in both theme and gameplay (imho).

(A cool thing of this update is that I immediately thought of CK's courts and whoa, having a tab for "society" (or something like that) of the time would be very interesting in the direction of flavor and personality)

Guzba
Mar 21, 2009

Gato The Elder posted:

I think I might be close to getting the Empire Under The Pun achievement. There are 20 years left, The Sikh Empire is ranked 4th, and I’m on track to win a war that will liberate Canada and Ireland.

As I type this out I’m thinking that liberating Ireland was a mistake, and that I might reload and swap Open Market + Lib Ireland for some conquer state plays in Africa. England’s substantial interior holdings are very vulnerable to being surrounded and isolated from their market. That might be enough to collapse their manufacturing base …

Some notes for anyone else looking to have some fun in the Pun:

* Having none of either, you (obviously) need ports and iron mines asap. Literally the first thing you should do is start a play to conquer Sindh or Baluchistan, and then make vassals out of Afghanistan and Persia (annexing Afghanistan sooner rather than later - more iron)

* You’re going to have a *lot* of trouble with turmoil penalties. Just keep rotating road maintenance and violent suppression onto whichever unincorporated state you’re currently building in.

* Make friends with the Europeans. Ultimately you want an alliance with France; Russia is a good choice until then. At the moment I think I have Portugal as a subject and Italy, the Ottomans, and an assortment of randos in my Customs Union.

* I haven’t been able to find a way to prevent the British Raj from forming, but if you can stop it that’s probably amazing! Otherwise. assuming The Raj, you should start a liberation war the moment you can convince France to help you (if you play your cards right you can also get recognition out of that war).

Things I wish I had done differently:

* I waited too long to annex Persia and if any one thing hoses this run it’ll be that; they have vast (vast!) mineral wealth and 5 (I think?) states you can stick naval bases in.

* I kept antagonizing Bengal and I think a better approach would have been to improve relations and get them in a customs union.

* Don’t bother with Pan Nationalism because the Unify India play on Bengal gives you something like 350 infamy lol

* Maybe try grabbing multiculturalism early? The 200 authority you’ll lose will be more than offset by not needing violent suppression (although you’ll also need new voting laws so it’s probably closer to losing 300-400 authority).

I've tried this a couple of times and never quite seem to be able to knock the UK from being considered a major power (In order to vassalize them.). Even with 3-4 states left they maintain a large enough military (despite their inability to provide for it.) that their prestige doesn't drop below the baseline.

One of the things I've had luck with is just snagging Delhi from the EIC with a day 1 liberation war on one of the EIC vassals. It's a bit exploity but seems to result in a situation where the EIC doesn't raise substantial troops to defend their subject before GB takes the lead on the war, and they don't seem to commit too many troops themselves. Gives some nice Iron Mines and some good factories as well as War Reps from the EIC.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

The game is perfectly fine without the ability to exile characters. I think it’s quite reasonable for it to be a paid feature.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Yeah I feel like if it was gating the ability to assassinate characters in a game like CK3, that'd be one thing, but since the focus of V3 is on the nation's economy and society rather than characters, I'd be fine with not being able to exile characters.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I doubt being able to exile characters is THAT powerful either since being able to gatcha all the parties into having communism wouldnt be fun

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I am pleased that my complaining about the current Napoleon situation has had such immediate benefits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Pacific Bread Centaur for President