Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Didn’t someone mention that you can’t stream genshin impact on the deck from GeForce now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Just popped in my 1TB drive, pretty easy taking it all apart except the case didn't want to unclip that easily, but got it with some gentle pressure and plastic pick.

The ifixit guide is the bomb.

Creating my restore drive now, shoulda done that earlier, doh.

Any tips on getting games to install from local files? Just have the PC on and running steam with the games you want loaded on the deck? I have spider-man on my PC and wanna try it on the deck..

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Basically, yeah, just run the install as you would and the Deck will automatically download files from your PC

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Ignis posted:

Basically, yeah, just run the install as you would and the Deck will automatically download files from your PC

Cool, i was googling around and there was mention of running beta steam/steam deck software, is that still required or does the main branch work now?

Very handy feature to not have to re download.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I think you need to be on the beta at least on the PC.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Put a few hours into Dredge. It’s really good so far. Excellent Deck performance.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

I think you need to be on the beta at least on the PC.

Nope! Unless my computer somehow changed over to the beta without me knowing, the PC to Deck download works on the stable build too.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Got my new deck joysticks and installed them and man it's like a brand new deck; not sure what happened to my original sticks but it's just like everything in it is just scraping against everything else or any lubrication that may have been there is completely gone. If gulikit would ever just release a complete joystick set already soldered onto the board that you could just plop in, and charge a little more for it, I'd be super happy.

Edit:

is dbrands legit? I'm looking for some new thumb grips and came across theirs, but their site reads like it was written by an edgy teenager or dad trying to be hip; either way I don't want to get scammed.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Apr 16, 2023

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
dbrand's schtick is indeed really dumb, but they're not going to scam you. They make decent products.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Paradoxish posted:

dbrand's schtick is indeed really dumb, but they're not going to scam you. They make decent products.

Great! Thanks.

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

Free 2nd day shipping on all eldritch horrors.

Bumhead posted:

Halo MCC is a really phenomenal experience. I know it has (or had, at this point?) its detractors but it's always been flawless for me. That original trilogy still slaps hard both in terms of the campaigns and multiplayer.

That said, yeah, it goes on sale a lot so you're OK to wait to check it out.

I play through the single player campaigns of the entire Halo series every year or two for those sweet nostalgia hits. Halo 1 was one of the games I got in my OG Xbox launch day bundle, and it was the first game I played when I got it hooked up. I still remember sitting on the floor in front of my CRT TV like a kid at christmas with a new nintendo, even though I was well into my 20s at that point. That opening chant was like a religious experience for me. Yes, I am old AF and a turbo geek. You may laugh if you wish, IDGAF.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

NewFatMike posted:

On this note, is there a Destiny like for Deck? I love the gameplay on Warframe but despise crafting. Grinding out a blueprint drip and then figuring out what the hell resources I need to build out sucks. If it’s changed or simplified in the last year or two I might attempt a revisit.

I play Destiny 2 via GFN on my Deck without any issue, not even input lag.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

PageMaster posted:

is dbrands legit? I'm looking for some new thumb grips and came across theirs, but their site reads like it was written by an edgy teenager or dad trying to be hip; either way I don't want to get scammed.

everything about them is a bit much, but I love their overpriced case and stick caps. The case is great, especially after trying like 3 others

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I hooked up my Steam Controller to my Steamdeck.

I'm cooking with twice the Steam now

(My wife plays Sims 4 on it in bed and mice have connection issues over 2.4ghz)

Jack-Off Lantern fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Apr 16, 2023

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

jokes posted:

I play Destiny 2 via GFN on my Deck without any issue, not even input lag.

Ooh that’s a good idea, thanks!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Soysaucebeast posted:

Nope! Unless my computer somehow changed over to the beta without me knowing, the PC to Deck download works on the stable build too.

Yeah can confirm this too, I updated No Man's Sky last night on the Deck and it yanked the files from my main PC no trouble.

cousin.avi
Oct 1, 2005

Beve Stuscemi posted:

How do you actually uninstall a non-steam app? I think I’ve wound up with two battle.net installs. Just delete the patent folder? Or is it more complex?

I too would like to know how to do this. I have Gnshin and the anime game launcher installed but I’m about to go on deployment with no Wi-Fi. That space could be used for games that don’t need a constant internet connection.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

cousin.avi posted:

I too would like to know how to do this. I have Gnshin and the anime game launcher installed but I’m about to go on deployment with no Wi-Fi. That space could be used for games that don’t need a constant internet connection.

To uninstall stuff I go to desktop mode, look for the uninstall exe file in the folder, then add that as a non steam game in steam and go to properties and turn on force use proton. I play it like a steam game and run it until it finishes then exit and delete it from steam

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

cousin.avi posted:

How well does this work? I wanted to install genshin but I’ve heard they break the game pretty often.

It’s also like 70+ gigs

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i just beat pizza tower on this thing. what a perfect game. peppino is such an ugly fuckin guy lmao

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

The Saddest Rhino posted:

To uninstall stuff I go to desktop mode, look for the uninstall exe file in the folder, then add that as a non steam game in steam and go to properties and turn on force use proton. I play it like a steam game and run it until it finishes then exit and delete it from steam

:psyduck: :greencube:

if you're having trouble with Workshop mods on deck try to freshen it like this

Desdinova posted:

Did something similar to me, I unistalled Downfall, disabled all mods, ran StS vanilla then ran Downfall and other mods from the mod launcher and it worked. Hope it works for you too!

King Boo
Feb 24, 2008

nihil novi sub sole
I got tired of divining which random number folder non-steam games installed into and have lutris manage them now but I think you just delete the folder

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Re4make regeneradors are scary as poo poo.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Using my the USB-C expander I usually have on my laptop to plug in GbE to my network to load up the Deck with some large games like Ace Combat and Shadow of War (107GB!), so much faster than over the wifi.

I dunno if I will bother getting a full docking station but a usb-c expander like this is something I'm definitely going to get so I don't have to swap it around in the future..

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I really wish it had thunderbolt so I could plug it into my existing stuff. But oh well!

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Did you ever beat Canary Mary? No! I haven't even PLAYED Bioshock Infinite!
Is Windows running well on the Steam Deck at this point? I want to install it because I would like to run the PC port of KH with the movies.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Do you mean that it's working other than the cutscenes? If so, have you tried installing Proton GE? It includes some video codecs that Valve can't distribute in normal Proton.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Party Boat posted:

Do you mean that it's working other than the cutscenes? If so, have you tried installing Proton GE? It includes some video codecs that Valve can't distribute in normal Proton.

Indeed, most had assumed it was a form of a copy-protection since KH hasn't been released on Steam yet. The game runs perfectly fine other than needing to skip the cutscenes. There are other reasons that I would like to install Windows as well, so I'm genuinely curious if Windows is working much better at this point. I haven't seen any Youtube videos talking about Windows on the Deck in quite some time.

Sterf
Dec 31, 2004

Decky has got some new plugin for playing game theme music on your games' pages, delightfully irritating and fun at the same time!
https://github.com/OMGDuke/SDH-GameThemeMusic

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

ArctheNomad posted:

Indeed, most had assumed it was a form of a copy-protection since KH hasn't been released on Steam yet. The game runs perfectly fine other than needing to skip the cutscenes. There are other reasons that I would like to install Windows as well, so I'm genuinely curious if Windows is working much better at this point. I haven't seen any Youtube videos talking about Windows on the Deck in quite some time.

It’s not copy protection it’s just official proton not having the right video codecs and it’s pretty common. ProtonGE isn’t official so it’s got them, and the KH games work fine with it.

Valve released updated drivers for windows like a month ago but the most likely reason you don’t hear much about it is nobody really bothers since there’s so little that doesn’t work now once you factor in stuff like ProtonGE. Plus you lose some nice things like the suspend/resume while running a game because windows suspend/resume loving sucks.

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
Can somebody share their stick settings? I've been messing with deadzones and curves and none of it really feels "good" to me

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

loopsheloop posted:

Can somebody share their stick settings? I've been messing with deadzones and curves and none of it really feels "good" to me

Wouldn't it be best to just switch to Hall Effect sticks (the ones that rely on magnets as opposed to what the regular sticks are) if you can?

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

History Comes Inside! posted:

It’s not copy protection it’s just official proton not having the right video codecs and it’s pretty common. ProtonGE isn’t official so it’s got them, and the KH games work fine with it.

Valve released updated drivers for windows like a month ago but the most likely reason you don’t hear much about it is nobody really bothers since there’s so little that doesn’t work now once you factor in stuff like ProtonGE. Plus you lose some nice things like the suspend/resume while running a game because windows suspend/resume loving sucks.
We've been using Proton GE to just get the game to run at all. The cutscenes just don't work because of copyprotection introduced by the Epic Game Store.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

After how amazingly D4 ran, I went to install Lost Ark but apparently EAC means that's also Windows -on-deck exclusive, unless anyone's got the secret sauce for that one...

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Atoramos posted:

After how amazingly D4 ran, I went to install Lost Ark but apparently EAC means that's also Windows -on-deck exclusive, unless anyone's got the secret sauce for that one...

There's none. Any game with EAC that doesn't support the Linux Kernel won't run AFAIK. Lost Ark is one of them,but that's good for you cause your Deck is just saving you from a not so good game run by the most inept companies of all time

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Atoramos posted:

Just GeForce now

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Finished Re4make. Fantastic game. Kind of a bummer they removed one of the boss fights but this felt like a good length, especially after how short 3 was.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Supposedly people are working around the EAC kernel by copy/pasting a file from an EAC game that does support it, but then you run into missing .Net components not yet on Proton

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Installed Decky yesterday and it's as good as everyone says. Vibrant Deck, Animation Changer, HLTB Badges are amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

how's RE4 remake on Deck? I'm currently playing through the HD edition of the original on Deck, it's so good. One of my favourite games ever.