Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
there's no harm in using lead for everything in is the game is there? I'm not going to create a generation of psychopaths from lead poisoning?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Lead is extremely heavy, so you'll slow down your dwarves more than usual if they are carrying around a lot of it.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Zeruel posted:

there's no harm in using lead for everything in is the game is there? I'm not going to create a generation of psychopaths from lead poisoning?

Not from lead poisoning! :)

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
Lead is really heavy and quite ugly so there's almost always a better material to use, usually.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

its really good to use if you want something that is heavy though.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

my headcannon is that Dwarves are immune to lead poisoning.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

on account of how much lead has already accumulated in their brains

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Lead’s good for floors at the bottom of pit traps

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

On maps with lots of galena I've occasionally paved roads for the merchant wagons in lead just cause it's there.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
if you're not using it for pipes you're just wasting it

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Fine goods for the elves

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Metal+glumprong ballista bolts can do fuckoff titanic amounts of damage due to their weight iirc, but I'm not sure whether the engine will let you make weapons and ammo out of lead.

Maybe use lead for training your beginner metalsmiths, put a retracting drawbridge above a defensive chokepoint in your fort, and stockpile/dump all of your lead trash on it between recycling meltdowns so you can shower it onto the heads of invaders? :shrug:

e: or maybe you could do something similar with an entrenched steel bridge containing a thin layer of magma? Just dumping magma on stuff generally kills it pretty good, but there's something decidedly dwarven about pouring molten loving lead on the goblins when they come knocking at your door

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Apr 17, 2023

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Happy Litterbox posted:

Speaking of children. I've realized they are important for your fort to function. I tend to play forts for 20 years+ and as soon as all children are adults everything just falls apart, nobody is doing all these low priority hauling tasks anymore. Metal bars never leaving the smelter, corpses lying everywhere. Especially after invasions it can take quite a while until someone considers putting away all the loot and skeletons and fills the minecart for the trash shaft. (After a rather big army visited me I had to turn off invasions for a few years just to get rid of the trash.) And yes I have dwarfs set to do noting but hauling but they tend to think other items are more important.

On the other hand, no more lil psychos whose kill list grows with all my legendary dwarfs. So it has it's advantages.

I will assign a bunch of peasents as they join the fort to hauling only, seems to do well when there is a child shortage.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Bad Munki posted:

Lead’s good for floors at the bottom of pit traps

If anything, calling it just “Good” is such an understatement here. Falling onto a lead floor is like swallowing a bomb.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
oh does falling finally do consistent damage to things? last time I tried I had a platinum lined pit trap 20z deep and it wasn't very good at all

Flesh Forge posted:

Update: still really stupid and not very good at all, I guess I'll line the bottom with up-pointing glass spikes because those are great

this dude is still armed and although his limbs are mostly wrecked he's still a lot more battle worthy than I would have liked for this hilarious investment in time and materials

NB: menacing glass spikes in traps don't shatter and deconstruct the trap, w/e

e: lol that one guy still killed ~6 dwarves

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I have a falling trap in my current fort. It's just a stone floor with ten glass spikes on each tile, maybe I should remake it with lead or silver.

The real benefit is that if you put upwards stairs near the entryway, it's easily turned into a repeater trap. Pull the lever on repeat, they fall, bridge comes back, they path up the stairs, out onto the bridge, bridge goes away, fall again, repeat . . .

Great when there are too many gobbos to catch in my magma trap or drowning chamber.

Really if I remake it I should use one steel spear and nine glass spikes per trap due to the iron armor problem.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Flesh Forge posted:

oh does falling finally do consistent damage to things? last time I tried I had a platinum lined pit trap 20z deep and it wasn't very good at all
I believe impacting a floor does damage relevant to the weight of the floor's material, so in principle a lead or steel floor should work great.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

yeah that's the theory, but armor basically blocked the damage at that time and it was really dubious. great vs animals, immense waste of time vs anything armored. I'll have to run a new game in this version and see if it's better.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I won't ever tell someone not to drop Goblins off a sufficiently high ledge but most likely there haven't been any major changes to fall damage unless the last time you checked was before broken bones were fixed to be more likely to occur through armor.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

march of 2021 :shrug: I'll give it a try and see

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Its been a while since I did a pit trap but it often required way more z levels than you would expect to actually even injure goblins

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I guess each Z-level is like 5 feet high.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
You know I had never thought about it but yeah, if even that.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

A Bakers Cousin posted:

You know I had never thought about it but yeah, if even that.
I mean it's not Full Height Fortress, but it does make the human immigrants a little peculiar

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its very uncomfortable for the giant elephants.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

it should be, square cube law is a horrendous bitch

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

"You've got this, lad!"

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

I dropped some goblins from 15 z levels on to a vertical spike (iron?) and I think 50% of them survived with major injuries and I had to send in the militia. I’ll build a taller drop next time.

I also am not sure how to mine that out, I thought channeling a shaft straight down would work but my dwarf would occasionally get stuck so I would dig sideways into the stairwell.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I think building a platinum floor for your drop pit will make it much deadlier (with gold being good as well if you don't have access to platinum)

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

you would have to do it one z-level at a time, otherwise the dwarf AI will occasionally dig a channel 2 z-levels which removes the "ramp" in that tile that lets them hop up and down z-levels diagonally

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Polio Vax Scene posted:

you would have to do it one z-level at a time, otherwise the dwarf AI will occasionally dig a channel 2 z-levels which removes the "ramp" in that tile that lets them hop up and down z-levels diagonally

yeah it's tedious and fiddly but if you channel it down 1 z-level at a time nobody gets stuck.

Flavahbeast posted:

I think building a platinum floor for your drop pit will make it much deadlier (with gold being good as well if you don't have access to platinum)

I still need to test this with modern DF but it didn't help last time I tried :/

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Polio Vax Scene posted:

A method I sometimes use is to just designate all the floors to be dug out, then collapse the ceiling down at the top to remove the floors.

One of the reasons I decided to finally not do this so much was because I wasn't paying full attention in 40d and it didn't stop at the bottom of the pit, carrying on through my poorly designed fortress below. It killed a great many dwarves.

My record pit trap was 115 z levels, splattering people from the surface on the stony ground of the third cavern layer. It was walled in on both the other cavern layers, preventing any monster intrusion, or some poor bastard only falling 40 or 70 z levels instead of the full drop.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
What I've found with my 3-z level glass spike forest pit (ten spikes per tile, rock floor) is that it rarely *kills* goblins outright but it generally gives each goblin a nasty wound or two that makes it very easy for my dwarves to roll in and coup de grace them all.

I may disassemble it, put in some silver floor (I don't have gold/lead/platinum), add a single steel spear per tile, and see what difference that makes.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I have a map with 32k gold and 10k platinum, I'm like a baby with the new version now though I really miss all the keybinds and whatnot :corsair:

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Crossposting from Warhammer.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
For some reason, in my recent fort I have not had any immigrants after getting about 50 dwarves, even if my home civilization seems to be doing great, but my Inn keeps attracting elven troupes, who I have been giving residency to make up for the shortfall in labor.

In doing so, I think my fortress have become a reeducation camp for elves, who are now butchering animals, eating meat, wearing leather clothes and cutting down trees, while toiling endlessly in the dark underground, with armed dwarven guards at every exit.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

That is extremely metal :black101:

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Wind Rose is pretty great.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Elves make good soldiers. They can wear the same sizes of armor as dwarves, and they generally have higher kinesthetic senses and movement speed, so they can chase down and kill enemies more easily. Put em in steel, send them out to raid, and soon you'll have an elite elf corps :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Appoda posted:

Elves make good soldiers. They can wear the same sizes of armor as dwarves, and they generally have higher kinesthetic senses and movement speed, so they can chase down and kill enemies more easily. Put em in steel, send them out to raid, and soon you'll have an elite elf corps :black101:

I know absolutely nothing about this game, but are Elves supposed to be the same size as Dwarves and that is why the armor fits? That seems like something that they have on the list to fix.