Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
Missing the point a bit but in a small amount of good news:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/apr/13/albanese-government-axing-external-debt-collectors-in-bid-to-prevent-another-robodebt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Word cloud for March:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Well that's an instant classic.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
whole wife

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
WORLD poo poo

Genuinely, I don't think there can be a better word cloud.

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
Starting oval office

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

asian neo

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

bell jar posted:

asian neo

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

sick of Applebees posted:

Starting oval office

I like that oval office is close enough to the northern beaches of Sydney.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

So since Musk hosed up twitter and all the sane companies withdrew advertising I'm getting ads pretty exclusively for Neom and the ADF

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

NEOM is the only sponsored ad I'll never block. Shine on you crazy sheikhs

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Gonna be sick living in a hot cube in the desert with no resources innit

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
https://twitter.com/PRGuy17/status/1647414300108275713?s=20

Someone's up the creek. And it's all down to developers and housing. Also Susan Ley and Federal Pre-selections!

Comstar fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Apr 16, 2023

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Better not vote for the voice because Anzac day will be cancelled (maybe Alice Springs too).

Only one flag and no photo of John Howard... :australia:

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

He's no monster.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

SecretOfSteel posted:

Better not vote for the voice because Anzac day will be cancelled (maybe Alice Springs too).

Only one flag and no photo of John Howard... :australia:

Richard,

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
Lydia oh Lydia... have you met Lydia.....

https://i.imgur.com/7rfgGX3.mp4

edit: https://www.news.com.au/national/vi...bf828c9c6373d0a

quote:

The Victorian Senator’s wild night out was captured on iPhone video after she unleashed a foul-mouthed spray in the early hours of Sunday morning.

“All I want to say to the black brothers there and anyone that we’re fighting,’’ she said.

“Any black man that stands with the f***ing white little c*** like that – youse can all get f***ed too.”

She also told one man outside the strip club in Melbourne, “You’ve got a small penis!”

Senator Thorpe told 7 News, who first published the video, she did not start the exchange but was responding herself to taunts and harassment.

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Apr 17, 2023

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
I hope they didn't post that to make me hate her lol

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

She keeps getting cooler and cooler.

Josie
Apr 26, 2007

With tales of brave Ulysses; how his naked ears were tortured; By the sirens sweetly singing.

How have I never seen this before and also whose hand is that

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
That is the hand of a five-year old child, about two seconds after contact

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
thats the question time ghost hand

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

was trying to toggle him out of 'No' mode but the switch snapped in his hand

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

I am expecting the follow up picture with the hand facing up, fingers upwards and the comment "this is a dead brain sucker that starved to death"

Josie
Apr 26, 2007

With tales of brave Ulysses; how his naked ears were tortured; By the sirens sweetly singing.

:perfect:

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

quote:

“She came in with three other people. And she was just Lidia Thorpe.

Lmao

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Any other senator having an issue at a strip club would only come out 6 months down the line when its found out they misused a cab charge to get to the strip club

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

didn't they try and get KRudd with a stripper story and it just made him more popular

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-04-17/hecs-help-student-loan-debt-parliamentary-report/102232418

Sure am glad Labor are in power though, thank gently caress we are keeping the stage 3 tax cuts i am waiting for that trickle down

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

Recoome posted:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-04-17/hecs-help-student-loan-debt-parliamentary-report/102232418

Sure am glad Labor are in power though, thank gently caress we are keeping the stage 3 tax cuts i am waiting for that trickle down

Ugh. I was thinking about this today and I'm probably gonna throw all my rainy day savings at my hecs next month just so that the voluntary contributions I've made over the last year don't get completely eaten up by the indexation :(

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

bee posted:

Ugh. I was thinking about this today and I'm probably gonna throw all my rainy day savings at my hecs next month just so that the voluntary contributions I've made over the last year don't get completely eaten up by the indexation :(

probably best if you get financial advice about it tbh - at least you don't have to pay interest on it but yes it's a really bad deal for people with HECS debts

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

bee posted:

From what i understand all payments voluntary or otherwise are only registered at tax time which pointedly is AFTER indexation is applied june 1st

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

Recoome posted:

probably best if you get financial advice about it tbh - at least you don't have to pay interest on it but yes it's a really bad deal for people with HECS debts

Yeah I checked with my tax guy and he said I’m still better off with just paying the mandatory amount and keeping my savings in an offset or ETF.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

Spookydonut posted:

From what i understand all payments voluntary or otherwise are only registered at tax time which pointedly is AFTER indexation is applied june 1st

No, the voluntary payments reduce the hecs debt total at the time you pay them, if you log into the ATO and view your hecs details you can see this. It's only the involuntary payments that come out of your regular income that the ATO hoards and applies to the debt after indexation is applied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

bee posted:

Wait until the budget is announced - whatever a Senate panel says, there's still the slim chance Albo makes a captain's call.

bee posted:

No, the voluntary payments reduce the hecs debt total at the time you pay them, if you log into the ATO and view your hecs details you can see this. It's only the involuntary payments that come out of your regular income that the ATO hoards and applies to the debt after indexation is applied.

This is correct, though it's also worth noting that having HECS come out of your paycheque each fortnight is also voluntary. I've just been paying mine as a lump sum at tax time for years now. Same amount of money, it just spends the year in my bank account instead of the ATO's.