Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
there's a ton of characterization that got cut from the switch version of links awakening because they didn't include the photographs. Not including those is a huge mark against the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Lmao I talked to some rando npc and she transformed into a ninja and attacked me

This game is very similar to dark souls

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Ytlaya posted:

Marin = Tidus
Link = Yuna

That means the owl is Auron

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

precision posted:

Lmao I talked to some rando npc and she transformed into a ninja and attacked me

This game is very similar to dark souls

People have a lot of fun with those NPCs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4jsjCeSWME

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

Is there any way to tell who's Yiga beyond just like, memorizing which NPCs are real?

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

Is there any way to tell who's Yiga beyond just like, memorizing which NPCs are real?

real people after you interact with them once will have their name show up. Yiga never have a name.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

MorningMoon posted:

People have a lot of fun with those NPCs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4jsjCeSWME

lmao

they have so many variations. I've played for a billion hours and just last night found one where they describe being abducted, and they actually "got" me because I was seriously paying attention thinking it was some obscure Majora's Mask reference, and then boom, it's the Yiga

also the banana seller one is a real merchant and you can actually buy them

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Oh come on. You talk to her like, three times in the entire game.

I was ten and she actually only really knew Link by the name THIEF, which is why Link never speaks besides grunts. His voice was stolen by the island, some real hans christian poo poo.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I'm at that point of the game where I'm like...just gimme the shrines man...just give me that sweet beep

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

When I was in 4th grade playing Link's Awakening for the first time I walked around with Malon for hours. Definitely my first video game crush and the first video game where I had an emotional attachment to the characters. When I replayed it I was surprised at how short that section of the game can be.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Edna Mode posted:

When I was in 4th grade playing Link's Awakening for the first time I walked around with Malon for hours. Definitely my first video game crush and the first video game where I had an emotional attachment to the characters. When I replayed it I was surprised at how short that section of the game can be.

if you really loved her you wouldn't get her mixed up with that farmgirl hussy

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
Bought a Switch and BOTW in preparation for the new game. I played BOTW in 2017, after my mate lent me his console after I'd had a relationship break down and "looked like I needed cheering up".

I'd forgotten there's a fairly steep learning curve at the start and am mostly just running away from things at the moment. I've just met the head fish bloke who wants me to come and see him in his kingdom but I remember getting electrocuted about a thousand times when I did it before so may wait until I'm a bit stronger.

It's great though, hurling yourself off a high point with the paraglider never gets old.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..

Gambrinus posted:

Bought a Switch and BOTW in preparation for the new game. I played BOTW in 2017, after my mate lent me his console after I'd had a relationship break down and "looked like I needed cheering up".

I'd forgotten there's a fairly steep learning curve at the start and am mostly just running away from things at the moment. I've just met the head fish bloke who wants me to come and see him in his kingdom but I remember getting electrocuted about a thousand times when I did it before so may wait until I'm a bit stronger.

It's great though, hurling yourself off a high point with the paraglider never gets old.

Take off any gear that seems to have metallic components when there's a thunderstorm and you're electrocution-free!

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
RE Yiga: I liked that after you murk Master Kohga the Yiga attacks become harder and unannounced because they are understandably pissed

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

CK07 posted:

Take off any gear that seems to have metallic components when there's a thunderstorm and you're electrocution-free!

This is the combat gauntlet to Zora's Domain that's filled with lightning arrows. No metal won't cut it.

There's a waterfall on the back of the bluffs that surround Zora's Domain. You can cryonis your way up the waterfall then just glide to Zora's Domain without fighting poo poo. It takes a hot sec to climb the waterfall but it's ultimately quicker than the fight, and if you do it before meeting Sidon, you get a new cutscenes.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Real Hylians almost always have places to be; they're either at someplace important, or on the way to or from somewhere important.

Only the Yiga have time to stand around at random roadsides forever.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

maltesh posted:

Real Hylians almost always have places to be; they're either at someplace important, or on the way to or from somewhere important.

Only the Yiga have time to stand around at random roadsides forever.

they're usually standing in one place and doing one of a few animations (cowering in fear, looking around into the distance, waving you down)

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

This is the combat gauntlet to Zora's Domain that's filled with lightning arrows. No metal won't cut it.

There's a waterfall on the back of the bluffs that surround Zora's Domain. You can cryonis your way up the waterfall then just glide to Zora's Domain without fighting poo poo. It takes a hot sec to climb the waterfall but it's ultimately quicker than the fight, and if you do it before meeting Sidon, you get a new cutscenes.

I know what I'm doing before TotK.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I know what I'm doing before TotK.

Now, the cutscene is much worse than the one you get when you do the gauntlet, it's very clearly a quick rear end-covering for the possibility you get to ZD without having met Sidon.

But it is voiced.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Unlucky7 posted:

RE Yiga: I liked that after you murk Master Kohga the Yiga attacks become harder and unannounced because they are understandably pissed

it's a fun detail but i do get sick of the huge guys with windcleavers popping in every 10 minutes

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

goethe.cx posted:

it's a fun detail but i do get sick of the huge guys with windcleavers popping in every 10 minutes

In Hyrule Field they show up way more often than every ten minutes. It's frankly annoying how often they'll pop in during guardian hunting.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

goethe.cx posted:

Same, plenty of times they pop in and I just think “not now guys, I’m busy”

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Hogama posted:

The most intriguing being the lower right one.

Hm, that's not how I parsed that face from the front

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I absolutely, positively cannot get Satori Mountain to glow. I stared at that drat mountain all night under a crescent moon at least twice, I think three times and no glow. Supposed to glow for 24 hours after a crescent moon, right? The one after a new moon, and before the 7-day, yes? What the hell?

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Stop staring at it. It’s shy

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Man, some BotW enemies really have too much HP. I came across a white Lynel (near the big dino skeleton in the far north of the map), and mechanically it wasn't too tough, but a full flurry attack with my strongest 2-handed weapon did a barely visible amount of damage and any time it hit me it destroyed like 10+ hearts (and I was using a defense elixir). I ended up reloading a save because it just wasn't worth the resource expenditure; I would have gone through at least 3 of my highest quality weapons (I'm not good enough with arrows to reliably set up the thing where you climb on his back) + a bunch of healing food. Or alternatively a bunch of bomb arrows; it's hard to say which would be less "expensive" overall.

Speaking of mechanics, the white Lynel doesn't seem to use its arrow attack much. It only used it once at the begging of the fight (with a thunder arrow). This is good, since that arrow attack is by far the hardest to avoid. Instead he used a fireball attack (that was easy to avoid by just sidestepping) and this explosion attack that was also pretty easy to get away from since it's so heavily telegraphed.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Wonder if there's going to be guardians in TotK or something like em. They're so iconic and not having wandering hell units would be a bit odd

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Wonder if there's going to be guardians in TotK or something like em. They're so iconic and not having wandering hell units would be a bit odd

I’m hoping it’s those giant Talus things you have to build mechs to fight.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

I'm expecting most of the guardians to be gone, but they'll have one guardian to surprise us in some cave somewhere with the terrifying piano.

And something else will replace on them on the field for sure.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Counterpoint: I hope we get a guardian friend

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
The only guardians left in Hyrule are the ones fused to my battlefridge

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Lol, maybe the best secret part of this game not yet revealed is recruiting a squad of knights and getting to play dress up with them. I’ll have a whole team of guys dressed in different colored gerudo outifts like my own team of Sailor Moon scouts.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

M'princess

vvv lmao

Kassad fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Apr 17, 2023

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

M'oblin

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

:hmmyes:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

My only regret is that I can’t have two AVs

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Ok, yeah, I didn't think we'd beat bucket hat so quickly, but here we are.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

maybe there's a whole gang of old timey gangster guys that are terrorizing Hateno village and Link saves the day by redirecting their energy towards fighting the monsters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Pretty excited for Mount and Blade Hyrule