Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

eXXon posted:

Recently if I click on a notification but drag my finger a bit it opens the relevant app in a weird square resizable overlay window. I looked in notification settings and couldn't find what it's called and searching for those terms was predictably unhelpful. Does it have a name and is there any way to turn it off?

does this happen with more than one app, which one(s) and what phone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Anyone know why the android YouTube app is so bad? It routinely drops quality to the lowest possible and will lag horribly if I try to do even 1080 on wifi. Meanwhile my ipad and iphone have no problems playing the same videos in 4k on the same network.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

No issue at all at 1440p here.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Anyone know why the android YouTube app is so bad? It routinely drops quality to the lowest possible and will lag horribly if I try to do even 1080 on wifi. Meanwhile my ipad and iphone have no problems playing the same videos in 4k on the same network.

No issues here, that's never happened to me and it works fine

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh
After opening a video you can turn on stats for nerds which will show you the status of the connection and the playback buffer. That might help tell you if there's a problem. If that option exists on the ios version of the YouTube app you can do the same thing to confirm if they really are playing the same audio and video streams with no problems.

Are you using a VPN on the Android? That could also affect things if the VPN server is somewhere far away.

pairofdimes fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Apr 17, 2023

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

Pixel 7s were $350 at Best Buy as of last week. Might still be.

ty, this is what I went with. Hopefully when the USB to HDMI thing comes today I'll be able to get other things off.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

FAUXTON posted:

does this happen with more than one app, which one(s) and what phone?

More than one app, Discord and gchat for one. I don't remember it happening until I got the latest update on the S23 a few days ago so maybe it's some new feature I didn't bother to read about. I'll take a screenshot next time it happens.

I didn't even know you could put apps in a windowed mode!

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Maybe it is something like the "one hand mode" on my pixel, I regularly accidentally open it when I fat finger some notification.
It is Android's alternative to sticky keys.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
If I long press on any notification that has a corresponding app it looks like I can open it in multitasking mode either at top/bottom of screen or in a popup. Not sure if that's new cause I don't think I've ever tried. I just updated to the latest update last night. Also s23

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Rumors are swirling that Samsung will make Bing the default search engine on their phones.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fortune.com/2023/04/17/alphabet-ceo-sundar-pichai-google-search-bard-magi-samsung/amp/

GOOG is down about 4% in premarket trading due to the news. My personal odds of buying another Samsung, however, are holding steady at 0%.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

eXXon posted:

More than one app, Discord and gchat for one. I don't remember it happening until I got the latest update on the S23 a few days ago so maybe it's some new feature I didn't bother to read about. I'll take a screenshot next time it happens.

I didn't even know you could put apps in a windowed mode!

that sounds like it's trying to make conversation bubbles given those apps, going off the ones mentioned

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Resdfru posted:

If I long press on any notification that has a corresponding app it looks like I can open it in multitasking mode either at top/bottom of screen or in a popup. Not sure if that's new cause I don't think I've ever tried. I just updated to the latest update last night. Also s23

Bingo, that's it. Seems to work with any app as I just did it with Clock for an alarm.

I don't understand how I'm doing it by accident though but I guess I must have held the press too long a few times.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

FistEnergy posted:

Rumors are swirling that Samsung will make Bing the default search engine on their phones.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fortune.com/2023/04/17/alphabet-ceo-sundar-pichai-google-search-bard-magi-samsung/amp/

GOOG is down about 4% in premarket trading due to the news. My personal odds of buying another Samsung, however, are holding steady at 0%.

To me, that sounds more like Samsung is scraping for some extra revenue. Samsung phones default backup is already OneDrive and it has all MS apps pre-installed.

I think people understand the competency of people changing defaults. See also Bixby.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

My mom needs a new phone and I'm pushing for a pixel 6a. She's worried about the fingerprint reader as that seems to come up as a negative in a relative lot of reviews. Rather than solliciting people's opinions on that, my question is whether the update Android 13 qpr1 beta1 mentioned in september would have made it to the general non beta public already? I don't know how these update schedules work.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That was December's feature release.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

bull3964 posted:

That was December's feature release.
Excellent, thank you. I can leverage that.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
If you can. Pay the difference for the 7 which has face unlock too

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Celexi posted:

If you can. Pay the difference for the 7 which has face unlock too
That's a 600€ phone here, against 336€ for the 6a. This has to go up against 250€ motorolas as far as she is concerned.

"Ah, but this one weighs 20g less!" :negative:

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

bull3964 posted:

To me, that sounds more like Samsung is scraping for some extra revenue. Samsung phones default backup is already OneDrive and it has all MS apps pre-installed.

I think people understand the competency of people changing defaults. See also Bixby.

I'm not even sure I used anything day to day that relies on whatever Samsung defaults to anyway. I search by opening up Firefox.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The s10 I broke had a bigsby button that was 100% worthless on the phone.

Also all the TOS pushes that buzz and you can't stop

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
There was an app to remap the bixby button with no root back when I had one, made that useless button do something useful. What's a TOS push?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm assuming all the Terms of Service nagware stuff.

Not quite as prevalent on modern Samsung devices, but still exists to a certain extent in the first week or two.

No, I don't want to enable malware scans sponsored by McAfee, stop asking.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Apr 18, 2023

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Flipperwaldt posted:

That's a 600€ phone here, against 336€ for the 6a. This has to go up against 250€ motorolas as far as she is concerned.

"Ah, but this one weighs 20g less!" :negative:

Maybe you should let her know that Motorola has worst-in-class support when it comes to updates. Security updates are only every other month, and even then run late. Android version updates are late, and Motorola will promise Android updates and then cancel them. Their phones often ship with an Android version that's one step behind the current version, and will likely never be current even if Motorola decides to do a version update.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Maybe you should let her know that Motorola has worst-in-class support when it comes to updates. Security updates are only every other month, and even then run late. Android version updates are late, and Motorola will promise Android updates and then cancel them. Their phones often ship with an Android version that's one step behind the current version, and will likely never be current even if Motorola decides to do a version update.
She can't be made to care. Somehow got the message when it comes to windows updates, but can't put two and two together when it comes to android. She's been on android 8 for years now and I keep telling that if someone steals the phone, they have instant access to her bank accounts and whatever and she doesn't understand that the fingerprint sensor is a convenience, not a security device as long as you can do everything with a pin instead, which is easily bypassed through the barn sized holes in android 8. I really tried. She must buy the right phone for any other reason I can make up.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
If you push her too hard to buy the device you want her to then you will personally be responsible for every bug or inconvenience she encounters on that device, whether it's actually the device's fault or not.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Are there any known security holes being actively exploited on Android from anything older than the current patch?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

ty, this is what I went with. Hopefully when the USB to HDMI thing comes today I'll be able to get other things off.
I lost a week of SMS, all of wechat/signal/whatsapp history. Is there a good way to sync multiple phones with that? I'd at least not like a week gap of SMS given I'm sure I'll forget I'm missing a week.

Also to anyone else who has been reading my saga and has, like me, never cared to plug a phone into a monitor. Your phone becomes a track pad. Extremely hard to use when the display is broken. Sync up a mouse.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I have a pair of Shokz OpenMove Bluetooth headphones that I use for podcasts with my Android phone. I now also have an iPhone for work. Is it possible to connect the headphones to both phones at the same time so I can get notifications from the work phone while listening to my podcasts?

Android is a Motorola One 5g Ace if it matters.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
That is something that the headset itself has to support not either of the phones

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I have a pair of Shokz OpenMove Bluetooth headphones that I use for podcasts with my Android phone. I now also have an iPhone for work. Is it possible to connect the headphones to both phones at the same time so I can get notifications from the work phone while listening to my podcasts?

Android is a Motorola One 5g Ace if it matters.

Check the manual for your headphones to see if it supports multi-point pairing, and how to enable it if so. My Trekz do, so I wouldn't be surprised if the OpenMove does as well.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Are there any known security holes being actively exploited on Android from anything older than the current patch?

Yes? Plenty of you goog active android exploits.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/blog.google/threat-analysis-group/protecting-android-users-from-0-day-attacks/amp/

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

isndl posted:

Check the manual for your headphones to see if it supports multi-point pairing, and how to enable it if so. My Trekz do, so I wouldn't be surprised if the OpenMove does as well.

Celexi posted:

That is something that the headset itself has to support not either of the phones

Ah, so it does, thanks for the help. Hopefully these last me a couple more years, pretty sure it's never hit the "6 hours of playtime" that were advertised.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Good to know, thanks.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
i just got the pixel 7 pro and boy is the fingerprint reader a piece of poo poo. just real garbage. whoever decided it was a good idea to put it under the screen is a idiot moron who should be -redacted-

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

...given a wedgie, and also a swirly.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I almost want to get a pixel to see if the fingerprint reader is just poo poo compared to the last 2 samsungs I've had or if you all who have issues with it just have extra secure fingerprints

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Going by my experience, if you had issues with the ultra sonic Samsung sensors, then the Pixel underscreen sensors will work nearly 100% of the time.

I can't remember when I last had a misread with my P7P but I got locked out of biometrics with my S23U 4 times yesterday.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
yeah the 7pro's sensor has been extremely reliable for me the only time it fails is when my hands are wet

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
my S22 ULTRA's fingerprint reader has been shockingly reliable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
i went from pixel -> pixel 4 XL -> pixel 7, so i haven't used any non-physical fingerprint reader but it sux. the optical flash blinding me late at night is also horrible, especially since pixel 7 doesn't have the the pixel 4 IR camera that works at night. it feels like a downgrade tbh, i'd send it back if my pixel 4 battery wasn't dead