Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

One of my roommates is a manager with one of the big pharmacy chains here in the US. She just had a girl quit rather than get fired for calling out excessively.

As in, 70 callouts in the 7 months she was employed by this company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Sounds like one of the guards we just replaced at my position, except at least that lady would call out. This guard didn't even do that; one no-call no-show after the other :shepface: really endeared them to the rest of us, let me tell you.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Kilonum posted:

One of my roommates is a manager with one of the big pharmacy chains here in the US. She just had a girl quit rather than get fired for calling out excessively.

As in, 70 callouts in the 7 months she was employed by this company.

How was she not fired after the first 10 or so callouts?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Coasterphreak posted:

Is the sword for you, your boss, or the customers?

I feel like just resting my hand meaningfully on the pommel of a sword would resolve a lot of problems with the latter two groups. Though you're right, I should probably surreptitiously blunt it so I don't decide to seppuku my way out of the shittier days at work.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sounds like what you really want is a baseball bat.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Midjack posted:

Sounds like what you really want is a baseball bat.

You could commit seppuku with a baseball bat, it'd just take longer.

Boob Cop
Jan 1, 2023

Cowslips Warren posted:

When I am overlord of America (I used to say the world but that would require me to have some help) it will be a law that no matter your wealth or status, once you hit 16, you will work 3 years fast food, 2 years retail, or 1 year as a janitor for public areas. You do not get to work with any business that your family owns or is a member of their board.

I think we should try destroying capitalism first, just as a test run

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Boob Cop posted:

I think we should try destroying capitalism first, just as a test run

But we should still force people to work a year of retail even after the end of capitalism, just so they understand why we did it and why we're never bringing it back.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I had a customer come into the store and attempt seppuku once. He stole a kitchen knife off the shelf to do it too.

Quit half way through because he hadn’t realised how hard it would be.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

So at work they started rolling out a new solution to the "The building is only has enough A/C to keep it from boiling everyone alive in the summer and the people we have doing physical labor all shift are hot, tired and bitching endlessly for good reason" issue.

I mean...it's trashy as hell looking but here's hoping it works? They've tried giant ceiling fans (up to the left, literally made by a company called "Big rear end Fans") but while they help certain areas they don't do much outside of said area. Especially not if equipment is in the way (which it often is). They've tried the orange ground fans which helped. Now for Sky Trashbag!

Still way better than when I started when they kept trying to gaslight us that it wasn't that hot and we had a manager bitch at us for wanting fans during an all hands. "Don't you know that a fan would actually make you hotter via the friction of the air blowing over your body?"

Yuwe
Apr 6, 2009
At my FC they ordered smaller floor fans so that each desk/workstation can have one. The stow/pick mods on the second and third floors still have random aisles that are too hot though, because fans like the one in your picture (that's attached to Sky Trashbag) actually have to be installed.

Started with just over 800 tickets today and just under 700 by the time I left. That many got done only because it turns out the submitting team for this deluge duplicated almost every ticket. This made my resolved numbers look good, I guess? My eyes kinda hurt from staring at the ticket list so long screening out the dupes though (and I am nowhere near done clearing out dupes).

Alkydere posted:

Still way better than when I started when they kept trying to gaslight us that it wasn't that hot and we had a manager bitch at us for wanting fans during an all hands. "Don't you know that a fan would actually make you hotter via the friction of the air blowing over your body?"

Put that manager on a receive or pack station without a fan. In my building.

Yuwe fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Apr 17, 2023

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!
Our ancient warehouse has some old rear end ceiling fans like you'd have in your house. The company's solution to air circulation problems was "just open a couple of warehouse doors, the wind will blow through it." Eventually we convinced them to buy a couple of 4 foot diameter fans we could put in front of the doors to force the air through, but it still got unbearable once it hit about 30 C outside.
When we got bought out the new company had someone come in and measure air quality, and after a week of monitoring they installed ceiling vents with fans that come on if the carbon monoxide levels get too high. One of the supervisors figured out how to give it an emergency run order, where it runs for an hour. So every hour in the summer they go over and run it to get all the hot air out of the ceiling. It still sucks but it helps a lot.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

JackSplater posted:

Our ancient warehouse has some old rear end ceiling fans like you'd have in your house. The company's solution to air circulation problems was "just open a couple of warehouse doors, the wind will blow through it." Eventually we convinced them to buy a couple of 4 foot diameter fans we could put in front of the doors to force the air through, but it still got unbearable once it hit about 30 C outside.
When we got bought out the new company had someone come in and measure air quality, and after a week of monitoring they installed ceiling vents with fans that come on if the carbon monoxide levels get too high. One of the supervisors figured out how to give it an emergency run order, where it runs for an hour. So every hour in the summer they go over and run it to get all the hot air out of the ceiling. It still sucks but it helps a lot.

We've literally had employees collapse from heat exhaustion during the summer before and yet management still refuses to really do anything about the heat in summer.

Only thing we've really been able to do is loot some fans from the lighting department(they also sell fans during the summer) and write them off for personnel use at our desks. Even opening all the skylights and force-opening every door in the warehouse does nothing. It loving sucks.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

A brief thing from the weekend:

The last few months they've prepared us for a new software infrastructure, including all new(completely dogshit) GUIs optimized for tablets and phones despite us generally using stationary PC's to do most of our computer/order work. It's a huge shitshow in that regard but, you know, to be expected because our corporate IT department is only slightly more intelligent than salt.

The exciting part is that THIS VERY WEEKEND is when the switchover happened! So, with all the data boxed and prepared for transferring, they shut down the majority of our essential systems friday, to be booted on the new system today.

Simultaneously, during this weekend where we can't order stuff, they decide to run a sale on a series of products, exhorting just to "just do webshop orders."

...but the sale prices aren't valid on the webshop, because corporate IT could be replaced with rats wearing adorable little bowties and be more effective at their jobs.

So we've spent all weekend taking down customer orders on paper, to put into effect monday... where we still have to honor the sale prices, but because we're then having to add in massive price markdowns it will also completely krangle our nice sales numbers.

Which I don't really give a poo poo about but I know it burns someone in corporate's rear end in a top hat, so that makes it funny to me.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I give you the flip side: they keep my store cold as gently caress basically all the time, to the point where people just wear jackets year round. It’s really a shock to the body to go from 95 to 62 to 34 to -10 back to 95 every drat day, you can never acclimate.

At least receiving will crack the doors to keep it warm in the back room, because the comfort of the customers is not a factor.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Coasterphreak posted:

I give you the flip side: they keep my store cold as gently caress basically all the time, to the point where people just wear jackets year round. It’s really a shock to the body to go from 95 to 62 to 34 to -10 back to 95 every drat day, you can never acclimate.

At least receiving will crack the doors to keep it warm in the back room, because the comfort of the customers is not a factor.

This makes me think of when I was in produce and our warehouse had no air conditioning in it. So you'd be on the floor which would have both the A/C and the refrigerated shelves surrounding the department keeping it cool. Then you stepped into the warehouse and it'd be triple digits. Then you step into a fridge that is under 50. Then back out to triple digits, then back to an actual comfortable temperature. Everytime you went to gather more stuff to refill the shelves or every time a customer wanted something from the back.

I'd say one perk to moving to fast food is no "In the back". But really its just been substituted out for "MAKE IT FRESH"

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

it's at most 60°F on the sales floor at my store and it owns

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Rainbow Knight posted:

Oh gosh, that sounds heavenly.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Rainbow Knight posted:

This would be my worst nightmare; that’s heavy coat weather.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Leal posted:

This makes me think of when I was in produce and our warehouse had no air conditioning in it. So you'd be on the floor which would have both the A/C and the refrigerated shelves surrounding the department keeping it cool. Then you stepped into the warehouse and it'd be triple digits. Then you step into a fridge that is under 50. Then back out to triple digits, then back to an actual comfortable temperature. Everytime you went to gather more stuff to refill the shelves or every time a customer wanted something from the back.

I'd say one perk to moving to fast food is no "In the back". But really its just been substituted out for "MAKE IT FRESH"

lol work in the deli, it’s the worst of both worlds. At least I don’t have to handle cash anymore and I don’t have to scrub either toilets or deep fryers because gently caress both of those things.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I'd rather be too cold than too warm. If I'm too cold I can put on more layers or warm up by doing stuff. If I'm too warm, shedding heat is way more of a pain in the rear end and usually requires an air-conditioned, shady location.

Also internal systems switchover happened today. Confirmed that our IT department still can't figure out how to make an even semi-decent search bar. Imagine a search bar that doesn't take wild card characters but instead just slaps on them on either end of ANYTHING you search for after dropping invisible ""'s around it so it all becomes one big search term.

Surprise: It loving sucks!

Gwely Mernans
Jun 30, 2017

Alkydere posted:

So at work they started rolling out a new solution to the "The building is only has enough A/C to keep it from boiling everyone alive in the summer and the people we have doing physical labor all shift are hot, tired and bitching endlessly for good reason" issue.

I mean...it's trashy as hell looking but here's hoping it works? They've tried giant ceiling fans (up to the left, literally made by a company called "Big rear end Fans") but while they help certain areas they don't do much outside of said area. Especially not if equipment is in the way (which it often is). They've tried the orange ground fans which helped. Now for Sky Trashbag!

I worked as a loader at UPS and the heat was (almost) the worst thing. We had no AC, just a system of fans similar to that.

I will say, there was a marked difference if the trailer you were working in at least had vents for a bit of breeze. I felt like a king when I'd get one in particular that had vents AND slightly transparent walls so that I didn't feel like I was working in a hot dark cave all day.

Boob Cop
Jan 1, 2023

PurpleXVI posted:

But we should still force people to work a year of retail even after the end of capitalism, just so they understand why we did it and why we're never bringing it back.

Yeah, like a boot camp. I got you

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Previously, if a customer made a "Click & Collect" order, our info desk would see it, call the respective department and print the list of items needing to be picked along with the order number. The department then puts this list in their inbox and deals with it as soon as they do not have a customer physically present. Pack the order, attach the packing list, go on their way.

Now, if a customer makes a "Click & Collect" order, our info desk will see it, call the respective department... and not print a list because that functionality has been removed. The department will then finish handling their current customers at which point they will have completely forgotten the order exists, until they get another call, at ~1 hour or ~30 minutes to pack it, at which point they're reminded of it, and have to drop everything to pack it. Once they then pack it, they can note what location it's packed at, but there's no packing list to attach would which also provide an easy-to-check list for whoever's handing it out to make sure that everything is present.

I hate it, I loving hate it. I hate our IT department and whatever overpriced consultants got a cut of this update.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Yeah last summer the plan was everyone got to bring in their own little fans for their desks if they wanted to. Then sometime around October they realized "Amazon has a policy against people plugging things into the computers and all these fans get power from the USB ports!" (Amazon's paranoid about having data stolen, technically I shouldn't even be taking these pictures but LOL)

Which was a bit annoying because my desk "in the corner" is actually in a no-man's land near the front and all the hot air from people going in and out the front doors comes in and blows up to me on the 3rd floor. It was real annoying when they took away my fan (which didn't even plug into a computer, it plugged into an actual mains power socket, you assholes!). I'm assuming someone on day shift complained because two weeks ago a floor fan appeared for me to use.

At least they're not keeping the front doors open anymore for COVID reasons (oh noes, we can't have people pushing open the doors and spreading COVID via touch! Now scan your badge and push through these turnstiles to enter/exit the building!) so the hot wind isn't just blowing in.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
To be fair, if you have to be PCI compliant then yes, plugging poo poo into computers is a huge no no.

That’s for credit card stuff though, if you’re just handling mailing addresses who the gently caress cares, that’s all available on the internet if you know how to use google.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Coasterphreak posted:

To be fair, if you have to be PCI compliant then yes, plugging poo poo into computers is a huge no no.

That’s for credit card stuff though, if you’re just handling mailing addresses who the gently caress cares, that’s all available on the internet if you know how to use google.

Please stop googling my assassination coordinates.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Coasterphreak posted:

I’d imagine having devices hardcoded with Chinese spyware plugged into their server is a problem for most businesses, actually.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Now the AM is also suggesting that I can go into afternoons. Its looking like the ball is in my court and I'm thinking maybe I should negotiate. Cause even if I move to another job its just gonna be the same poo poo, may as well try to stay with a place that might actually give me what I want. I'm gonna see if the boss will:

Give me a month off cause my father recently had a heart attack followed by a stroke, its hit me with this reality that people I know may not be around much longer and I want to go see people.

I only work Monday-Thursday. Hell, part of me almost wants to get a second day off and only work 3 days of the week. Tuesday-Thursday, that way I can get away from 3 day weekends. Then I can get time to work on my online side hustles while still making enough money to cover rent. And hell, if the hustles don't work out... could always ask for more hours again.

I'm just thinking of my last job and its surprising me that my reasons for wanting to quit a job seems to exclusively revolve around loving with my sleeping schedule.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Coasterphreak posted:

, because the comfort of the customers is not a factor.

:hmmyes:

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

therobit posted:

I’d imagine having devices hardcoded with Chinese spyware plugged into their server is a problem for most businesses, actually.

I mean, it might have a software conflict with their own spyware, so you have a point

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I was so pissed off by our lovely software "upgrade" that on the spur of the moment I went job-hunting monday evening. I'd noticed that a local store was expanding, so I checked their website, and they were looking for someone... but had hoped to have the position filled by the 1st of April. My thought was either it was already filled and they forgot to take it down, or they were desperate and lacking good candidates, so I pinged them with my application and CV, got a call this morning from the store owner that they'd like to have me in for an interview tuesday next week.

Fingers crossed this goes well. I will be so insufferably smug when I hand in my resignation.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

What everyone thinks: Amazon is a well-oiled corporation.

Reality: LOL we just gotta be better than the competition!

Tonight's stupidity: "Pwease don't use the purple totes. They make the sorter go fucky-wucky."

Come in, get sent to my corner as I do 3.5 nights a week out of the 4 I work and find there's a purple tote at my station and groan. Where there's one weird fuckup there's always going to be more. See there's nothing wrong with the purple totes: they're the same shape as the normal yellow ones, they don't get crushed any noticeably more or less than the yellow ones, and are in fact a welcome splash of color. All of our systems and webtools work just fine with them...except one: the giant sorter that physically routes the totes through the building. You know the machine I keep running all night. You know, part of the mechanized system that lets us move product so fast.

The purple totes belong so some process that our building doesn't do. Every single one starts with the digits "tsEXRP..." as compared to a yellow tote's barcode "tsX0...". Therefore our sorter does not register their barcodes and rejects them. We're not even really supposed to have yellow totes in the building. Just more work for me as I move the items to new (yellow) tote as everything upstream and downstream from me accepted their barcodes just fine. Anyways as expected it was all day's fault for loading them up in the pick stations.

Laughed when one manager came running up "What do you mean they're...oh they're physically purple."

Then I came home, checked Captain Invictus's PMF thread and like usual am so glad I don't deal with poo poo customers "packed".

PurpleXVI posted:

I was so pissed off by our lovely software "upgrade" that on the spur of the moment I went job-hunting monday evening. I'd noticed that a local store was expanding, so I checked their website, and they were looking for someone... but had hoped to have the position filled by the 1st of April. My thought was either it was already filled and they forgot to take it down, or they were desperate and lacking good candidates, so I pinged them with my application and CV, got a call this morning from the store owner that they'd like to have me in for an interview tuesday next week.

Fingers crossed this goes well. I will be so insufferably smug when I hand in my resignation.

So how much secret forbidden knowledge about getting poo poo done is going to evaporate when you leave?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Alkydere posted:

So how much secret forbidden knowledge about getting poo poo done is going to evaporate when you leave?

Well, I work with plumbing supplies and I'm the only person in my department who has actual plumbing experience, as well as the only one who's been out working any sort of trade in general. I'm also covering four out of seven closing shifts, weekends included, in any given week, so lmao at covering those.

Like even aside from my institutional knowledge of our systems, some of which is now obviated with the stupid loving systems changeover, I'm generally the only one who knows when a shortcut will work or not for various technical and real-world reasons.

I'm trying not to get ahead of myself but I'm already planning out how theatrically I'm going to hand in my resignation. I'm thinking maybe a bit of interpretive dance. Perhaps hire a clown to deliver it for me while he sadly honks his nose. Maybe cackle loudly as I do so? I think that one's a given. Also the order in which I'm telling people, I think quietly tell my department head first, since he's actually a decent guy, then just pop a corp-speak, subtle-gloating mail to management.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Buy an "I'm So Sorry For Your Loss" card and put your folded resignation letter in it.

It should say "I am resigning effective immediately to pursue my dream of not having to work here."

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Start a unionization campaign on your way out and see if you can get fired for it and rake in the lawsuit $$$

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Tunicate posted:

Start a unionization campaign on your way out and see if you can get fired for it and rake in the lawsuit $$$

I was already the union rep for several years and quit that gig not because I didn't enjoy it, but because the new leadership was destroying my brain with how lovely they were to talk to about any issue. Plus they gave me "warnings" because I told people of their rights wrt, for instance, sick days.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I think getting more of those warnings in writing and with leading questions in emails making clear why you're being warned would be a good resignation gift to go with tipping off a government agency, lol.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Why I'm glad my stint with retail was very brief: man wants steak from a store. Meat department is not open at that time. Man decides the logical thing to do is to press a gun to an employee's head and tell him to get him some steaks, and is surprised and confused when other customers and employees at the store call the police.

https://twitter.com/ask_aubry/status/1649639226009432066?s=46&t=lgDZdXVwo3NFtPrbvMNR8A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Culex
Jul 22, 2007

Crime sucks.
My company is switching from Eagle to Microsoft Dynamics on the 1st. We've had Eagle for multiple decades. Nobody is excited. It's going to be missing a lot of core functions, like wildcard searches or part number searches, until 'a later date'. I don't cashier so the parts missing are the ones far more crucial to my job, a floor walker.

Regardless of anything it looks drat ugly with the Microsoft app-ification look. We only use computers, no tablets or anything. Also how there's no like, lines across screenfuls of text, but enough blank space between it looks like I'll need to use a ruler sometimes to see search results.

Does anyone use this and have any shortcuts or tips? Like the old system we could press F keys to bring up weird search things and menus.

I've been the one techy person on the floor for my entire 8 years here. I gotta keep up that rep! Most of my coworkers are old ranch people or collegiates and they all are basically scared of computers.