Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
It's also how they treat anyone who gets any sort of workers comp where they spend a significant amount of money to follow recipients around to verify someone is actually disabled and isnt like - you know enjoying any part of their life ever. You got a hosed up back? If you ever lift a kid again and they see you, good bye workers comp.

If you aren't completely miserable then clearly you should be working.

It's so bad that if you google "Workers comp investigator" theres a million law offices talking about it because so many deal with appeals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
The only people I know who get government aid and do not work are literally disabled to the point they can not work.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

remember the PPP lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

euphronius posted:

remember the PPP lol

our brave job creators were sick and needed emergency care.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

euphronius posted:

they annoy me Becuase whatever order my YouTube recommendations were in are now full of shorts
The whole platform is nearly unusable between the most aggressive invasive ads on the web and loving over content creators with braindead DMCA auto flagging.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

euphronius posted:

Medicaid. foodtamps. and I guess some housing aide.

I might be missing something else

none of these are anywhere even near the word amazing

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

remember when all the US airlines got billions in March 2020 and by all metrics (except profit lol) their industry is doing worse than ever still. Pretty cool

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

yeah and the semi-conductor companies also got billions and then proceeded to fire a ton of workers

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

HallelujahLee posted:

what? Medicaid is the best healthcare I've ever had in my life, no employer based package will ever compare

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

In Training posted:

what? Medicaid is the best healthcare I've ever had in my life, no employer based package will ever compare

sure if you compare it private garbage im talking medicare is the good one here

single payer full coverage

medicaid down here in fl has been privatized and has turned into garbage

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

In Training posted:

remember when all the US airlines got billions in March 2020 and by all metrics (except profit lol) their industry is doing worse than ever still. Pretty cool

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-airlines-reject-lawmakers-request-refrain-share-buybacks-2022-10-04/

WASHINGTON, Oct 4 (Reuters) - A trade group representing major U.S. airlines rebuffed a request by 70 U.S. lawmakers to voluntarily extend a expired prohibition on stock buybacks that was a condition of U.S. government COVID-19 payroll assistance.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

SKULL.GIF posted:

Because Google doesn't care about good search results, they care about getting you to click on one of their advertisement products. The search results are just a method to get you to do that.

I have a question about this I brought up in the Ukraine thread.

I've had to use Yandex to find articles and events I had prior knowledge of, like a Ukrainian drone/cruise missile hitting Croatia last March, the Ukrainian defence chief's article about their war strategy for 2023. I know these events took place and were documented (and the articles found on yandex confirmed it), but I also remember googling them in the first place. So clearly some change took place between then and now.

Alright, so, is this 100% a commercial algorithm change or is it - even partly - ideological?

I have never had as much trouble using google as I'm having now, to the point where I just use JSTOR to do initial searches, where that used to be much more cumbersome.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I was looking up on Google why the novistadors in the water in the re4 remake don't show up on the biosensor scope and I couldn't find any results on it. which I think may also be ideological

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think it ignores boolean search terms now too

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

euphronius posted:

I think it ignores boolean search terms now too

My GoogleFu is useless!!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

thankfully westlaw is still pure. although even they are starting to crack a bit

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

euphronius posted:

they annoy me Becuase whatever order my YouTube recommendations were in are now full of shorts

try blocktube, it'll hide shorts

god's own browser: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/blocktube/
the ad agency one: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/blocktube/bbeaicapbccfllodepmimpkgecanonai?hl=en-US

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
News stories are hardest to track down. likely because there is too much junk being labeled as trump, Putin, Ukraine, covid, etc. It sees those names and gives you whatever news happened recently.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
BIS head Carsten's gave a talk today. Said some stuff.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

HallelujahLee posted:

Medicaid is free at point of service, plus $1000 worth of dentist stuff a year and same for vision
snap was $250 a month on a debit card for food which you could use at wholefoods for organic leg of lamb

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I've mentioned this before but Medicaid care outcomes and medication adherence are *higher* than for commercial health insurance because people on Medicaid are more likely to get care knowing that they won't get a surprise bill.

Wiping out the commercial insurance landscape and making Medicare/Medicaid available to all Americans from birth would solve so many social problems in this country

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

i am harry posted:

Medicaid is free at point of service, plus $1000 worth of dentist stuff a year and same for vision
snap was $250 a month on a debit card for food which you could use at wholefoods for organic leg of lamb
i wish medicaid here was anywhere near that decent or snap for that matter i think the average here is around $150 a month

anyways my point isnt that its not good or whatever but compared to other places with actual decent social services we can do a ton better

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I've mentioned this before but Medicaid care outcomes and medication adherence are *higher* than for commercial health insurance because people on Medicaid are more likely to get care knowing that they won't get a surprise bill.

Wiping out the commercial insurance landscape and making Medicare/Medicaid available to all Americans from birth would solve so many social problems in this country

just give everyone free single payer healthcare no need for 2 different versions

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Did GIS results also get much, much worse?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Frosted Flake posted:

Alright, so, is this 100% a commercial algorithm change or is it - even partly - ideological?

it’s everything FF. anything one actually wants to find on any topic is buried in poo poo results now. I think it’s commercial.

even like esoteric theology stuff that I’m the only person looking for is behind pages of unrelated commercial results barely connected to the search.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

You need to add "reddit" to your search if you want good results on esoteric questions

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

HallelujahLee posted:

i wish medicaid here was anywhere near that decent or snap for that matter i think the average here is around $150 a month

this was in Louisiana family of three pretty life saving really and I was shocked that it was not as cruel as one would expect
we had a nurse visit once a week to make sure we weren’t loving anything up as first time parents
free car seats

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Spaced God posted:

Well yeah all of those programming challenges are like known problems with thousands of solutions posted on stackexchange in many forms.

Yeah, it'd be incredibly bizarre if it couldn't at least match the performance of someone typing the questions into Google.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

i am harry posted:

this was in Louisiana family of three pretty life saving really and I was shocked that it was not as cruel as one would expect
we had a nurse visit once a week to make sure we weren’t loving anything up as first time parents
free car seats

yeah i think FL is probably the worst or close when it comes to anything considered social safety net

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://twitter.com/alexjc/status/1647946239529369600

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

yandex is so much better for searching football online free than bing google ever was

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Sounds like they're setting up pretext to end the sanctions before even a ceasefire is agreed upon. Dollar hegemony must be preserved at all costs.

https://twitter.com/HuXijin_GT/status/1647986303252963329

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

good

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
like all the articles about chatgpt passing some college test or standardized interview are incredibly dumb because the model's underlying dataset literally includes these questions and their answers

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Justin Tyme posted:

You need to add "reddit" to your search if you want good results on esoteric questions

it's the damndest thing. search w/out reddit and you get SEO trash. search w/reddit and you get sweet sweet astroturfed poo poo mixed in with earnest posts from many of the dumbest people on the internet.

the latter is better.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
what if you put "SomethingAwful"???

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Justin Tyme posted:

ehh

I’m looking for things that won’t be on Reddit. basically I’m back to having to save/bookmark urls in my own catalog for some of the stuff.

hmmm.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

euphronius posted:

remember the PPP lol

i filled that poo poo out and was ready to hit submit but didn't because i thought "one day they're gonna look into this.."

lol nope I am dumb as hell

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

HallelujahLee posted:

yeah i think FL is probably the worst or close when it comes to anything considered social safety net

unemployment in FL maxed out at $250 a week and it's impossible to navigate the application process

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Popoto posted:

what if you put "SomethingAwful"???

not large or active enough to be indexed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

i filled that poo poo out and was ready to hit submit but didn't because i thought "one day they're gonna look into this.."

lol nope I am dumb as hell

same. but it's the same kind of fleeting hindsight as wishing you bought btc or tsla in 2017 or whatever