Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

spacemang_spliff posted:

those numbers don't make any sense lol

they are anticipating more demand in certain months based on historical trends. it’s to gently caress people that move at common times of year like before school starts or after a school year ends.

Paradoxish posted:

Some algorithm has identified a magical sweet spot where people pay more on a "cheaper" short-term lease by getting caught in more price increases.

Like it's probably actually bullshit, but I'd bet anything that that's what's going on there.

it’s this the algorithm has reached the optimum solution for income on the property.

but their objective function is poo poo, because they wrote it to be poo poo, and likely does not consider a lot of the advantages of keeping people in units. because it’s some libertarian tech rear end in a top hat that wrote it.

The objective function isn’t (objective). they almost certainly wrote it to reach this preconceived conclusion of churning through renters as the optimal way to generate cash flow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
It constantly feels like this poo poo can't go on forever and that we're optimizing ourselves into some kind of collapse at an accelerating pace, but deep down I know I'm wrong and it makes me very sad.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

It constantly feels like this poo poo can't go on forever and that we're optimizing ourselves into some kind of collapse at an accelerating pace, but deep down I know I'm wrong and it makes me very sad.

I don’t think you’re wrong - there’s no rational reason to think that the architects of the rent algorithm thought about, let alone coded for the possibility of the software running up the numbers to an unsustainable level because of game theory or something else. arguably it already happened

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

“I imagine a big seesaw, and one end of this seesaw is on the ground with a basket half-full of big rocks in it. The other end is up in the air. It’s got a basket one-quarter full of sand. And some of us got teaspoons, and we’re trying to fill up sand…

“One of these years, you’ll see that whole seesaw go zooop in the other direction. And people will say, ‘Gee, how did it happen so suddenly?’ Us and all our little teaspoons.”

-Pete Seeger

I’m going to keep spooning sand.

Looking at the world, it is not a reasonable conclusion that the seesaw will ever flip. One cannot get to the seesaw flipping by “therefore”. The spooning of sand must continue in spite of, as a never-the-less.

if that place of in spite of, is where one is spinning sand from: no therefore can ever stop it.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Paradoxish posted:

yeah, nothing is going to happen unfortunately. maybe some lip service to an issue here or there but I don’t see any real motivation to do anything.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Bar Ran Dun posted:

but their objective function is poo poo, because they wrote it to be poo poo, and likely does not consider a lot of the advantages of keeping people in units. because it’s some libertarian tech rear end in a top hat that wrote it.

you get to keep more security deposits if you keep cycling tenants, what's the benefit of not

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Bar Ran Dun posted:

“I imagine a big seesaw, and one end of this seesaw is on the ground with a basket half-full of big rocks in it. The other end is up in the air. It’s got a basket one-quarter full of sand. And some of us got teaspoons, and we’re trying to fill up sand…

“One of these years, you’ll see that whole seesaw go zooop in the other direction. And people will say, ‘Gee, how did it happen so suddenly?’ Us and all our little teaspoons.”

-Pete Seeger

Looking at the world, it is not a reasonable conclusion that the seesaw will ever flip. One cannot get to the seesaw flipping by “therefore”. The spooning of sand must continue in spite of, as a never-the-less.

if that place of in spite of, is where one is spinning sand from: no therefore can ever stop it.

God bless Pete.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

indigi posted:

you get to keep more security deposits if you keep cycling tenants, what's the benefit of not

they can't keep getting away with this

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Fitzy Fitz posted:

God bless Pete.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

indigi posted:

cycling tenants is physically hard on the units. it carries risks to the larger property to cycle through folks (let’s say you get somebody with bed bugs moving through as an example). and it’s not stable in a recession, that poo poo falls apart if demand tanks. it creates an antagonism between tenants and property management. it gives the property a reputation as for transient renters only.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Bar Ran Dun posted:

cycling tenants is physically hard on the units. it carries risks to the larger property to cycle through folks (let’s say you get somebody with bed bugs moving through as an example). and it’s not stable in a recession, that poo poo falls apart if demand tanks. it creates an antagonism between tenants and property management. it gives the property a reputation as for transient renters only.

who cares. the moment that happens, the management company sells the property to some other company.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Salt Fish posted:

VA. Here's what they sent me:

current rent is at the top

reported to mods for posting disgusting shock imagery we're past that on these forums now buddy

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I'm seeing $3500+ rents here too in some areas. $4K a month in fuckin Pittsburgh.

It really does seem like there is little variation in rents when it comes to different city centers. Did landlords just min/max rental unit prices nationwide and now it follows some national metric over local ones?

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

err posted:

It really does seem like there is little variation in rents when it comes to different city centers. Did landlords just min/max rental unit prices nationwide and now it follows some national metric over local ones?

cartel poo poo

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Ice Phisherman posted:

cartel poo poo

Yeah, a bunch of 'em use one of those software packages that recommends pricing in order to pretend that they're not colluding.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Salt Fish posted:

VA. Here's what they sent me:

current rent is at the top

The table of monthly rates is a new innovation for us. The management changed hands a year ago, so this is the first renewal with the new owners.

(three years ago, the parking and amenity fees were $20)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

2,996 for a 16 month term is cheap as hell god drat

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

euphronius posted:

I suspect that’s the monthly rate based on OP’s caption.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

euphronius posted:

I don’t think this is one of those “ahh but you didn’t say per month so here I am with $3000 to pay for 16 months of rent” type deals

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I, too, pay *does calculations real quick* $249.66 a month (edit: in rent)

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
It's per month, duder. And you have to tack-on another $140/mo in fees.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

i am harry posted:

I don’t think this is one of those “ahh but you didn’t say per month so here I am with $3000 to pay for 16 months of rent” type deals

I’d take it to court

(do not rely on this post as legal advice )

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

poemdexter posted:

who cares. the moment that happens, the management company sells the property to some other company.

that may became harder though due to rising interest rates.

Bar Ran Dun has issued a correction as of 15:38 on Apr 17, 2023

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

euphronius posted:

👀

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

is the amenity fee optional if you choose not to use the lovely apartment gym, pool or 'work center'

pet rent is such a mind bogglingly offensive cash grab. should start charging child rent too.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Ammanas posted:

is the amenity fee optional if you choose not to use the lovely apartment gym, pool or 'work center'

pet rent is such a mind bogglingly offensive cash grab. should start charging child rent too.

Of course not

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

less than 200 a month

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Ammanas posted:

child rent

Hey now there’s an idea, probably illegal but that shouldn’t be a problem for very long.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

euphronius posted:

less than 200 a month

what a deal

CongoJack posted:

Hey now there’s an idea, probably illegal but that shouldn’t be a problem for very long.

kids do more structural damage than most pets and are univerally worse to have as neighbors

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Bar Ran Dun posted:

-Pete Seeger

Deserves another empty quote

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

I got one of those "table of rents" in my last renewal. the 8-month renewal offer was cheaper than the rest, even the year lease, but then when I wanted to take that option they told me it was a mistake and they wouldn't honor it.

palindrome has issued a correction as of 04:15 on Apr 21, 2023

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

ah if only they would have cashed the check .

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

anime was right posted:

Once you can no longer go to restaurants and bars there's no point

hardware stores and the post office

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

having access to The Nut House, New York city’s only 24-hour hardware store, is worth the potential… ah, 16% increase being considered by the rent stabilization board

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

having access to The Nut House, New York city’s only 24-hour hardware store, is worth the potential… ah, 16% increase being considered by the rent stabilization board

Everything about that sounds wrong, except The Nut House. The rest is mystifying.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

anime was right posted:

Once you can no longer go to restaurants and bars there's no point

looking across the street from my condo at a library branch, then across the other street to a park w/ community center hosting child-centric activities 7 days a week, then down the street towards the children’s theater: the moment I have kids I’m out of here, they’ll have so much better opportunities in the suburbs

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Jenny Agutter posted:

looking across the street from my condo at a library branch, then across the other street to a park w/ community center hosting child-centric activities 7 days a week, then down the street towards the children’s theater: the moment I have kids I’m out of here, they’ll have so much better opportunities in the suburbs

You'll never have to walk anywhere in the suburbs...they have all those things but the park is a 15 minutes drive east, the community center is a mile away from the park, there's a children's theater 30 minutes west, and a library off the parkway. So convenient.

Also everything closes at 7pm unless it's a holiday, when it never opens.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
The internet constantly reminds me that relatively dense east coast suburbs are an oddity because I can't think of anywhere in this area where most of the bigger bars, restaurants, and grocery stores aren't open until at least midnight, if not well into the morning. Like the thought of not being able to order pizza for delivery at 1am is super weird, and I've never lived anywhere that I'd classify as a real city.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
We live on a bus route in a midsized midwestern city which I feel like is the best of both worlds but I have a feeling this thread may disagree :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Jenny Agutter posted:

the moment I have kids I’m out of here, they’ll have so much better opportunities in the suburbs

That's code for "no poor people and other minorities that make me uncomfortable"