Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

KingColliwog posted:

I've been doing the same for the past month... I really need to get a normal "cheap" sport so I can see if I like the nib and everything enough to justify a brass one. So sexy
Brass seems like it would be really heavy. But on the metal bodied kaweco front, I've got a Lilliput and it is pretty great for a pen I can carry in my watch pocket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

stealie72 posted:

Brass seems like it would be really heavy. But on the metal bodied kaweco front, I've got a Lilliput and it is pretty great for a pen I can carry in my watch pocket.

I used a brass Kaweco Sport for a good while, and I liked the heft. It's a short pen so the weight doesn't change its balance in your hand, it just makes it feel more solid. Only thing I will say is that at a distance sitting on a desk it can look like a large caliber bullet. My boss had a good startle when he first saw it. It also comes in steel if you want the heft and a different color.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I've got the Sport in the iridescent pearl and really enjoy it - I like how it's small enough that I can stick it in my pocket and also it looks really pretty.

Re: brown inks, the only browns I've tried are Iroshizuku Ina-ho which I think is discontinued, Dominant Industry November Leaves (similar to Ina-ho but a bit paler, or at least in my Gf's TWSBI Eco) and Ferris Wheel Press' Writing Desk, which is a fairly nice brown that seems to have a greenish sheen on fancy paper. I don't notice it on regular printer paper or loose-leaf, but I definitely saw it on some Clairfontaine. Very cool effect.

Volkova III
Jan 5, 2021
I like my basic Sports enough that I got a Sport clutch pencil. I do have small hands, so I don't even bother posting it most of the time - if you have catcher's mitts, you may have a different experience.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

+1 for FWP Writer’s Desk, it feels so fancy and refined.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Speaking of the Kaweco Sport in Iridescent Pearl, I found a good ink match! Sailor Manyo Haha. Here it is on Tomoe River 52gsm ivory paper:

The ink itself is very pale but shades well. As it shades, some green and purple tones come out. (Compare the pale section vs the scribbled over section.)

I've only got an EF nib for it, which has left my writing not so legible due to the unsaturated tones, but I've ordered a broad to play with it more.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
So I just ordered a Kaweco Sport in Toyama Teal with a Broad nib and since I wanted a new fun blue to go with it I also ordered Tokyo Blue Denim from Robert Oster because it looks like it's going to be the nicest blue ever.

If I hate it, I will blame you guys. If I like it and end up buying the brass sport, then I will also blame you guys.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Oh god I’m close to buying a brass one help

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Kilometers Davis posted:

Oh god I’m close to buying a brass one help

Do it :getin:

And also tell me how you like it because I also want one.

e: I finally filled up my TWSBI Diamond 580 with Diamine Majestic Blue and I love both the ink and this pen, it's so smooth yet has a satisfying kinda slice against paper that I can't really describe. Definitely beats the ever-loving poo poo out of a ballpoint, that's for sure.

I can feel my Pen Guy era beginning as we post.

Doctor Hospital fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Apr 13, 2023

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Doctor Hospital posted:

e: I finally filled up my TWSBI Diamond 580 with Diamine Majestic Blue and I love both the ink and this pen, it's so smooth yet has a satisfying kinda slice against paper that I can't really describe. Definitely beats the ever-loving poo poo out of a ballpoint, that's for sure.

my twsbi diamond 580 is one of the smoothest writers I have, I love it

it's pretty wet though, probably the biggest nib I have at M.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Yeah, I love my stub 1.1 580 but I don't get to use it a lot because it puts down way too much ink for a lot of use cases at work.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

RichterIX posted:

Yeah, I love my stub 1.1 580 but I don't get to use it a lot because it puts down way too much ink for a lot of use cases at work.

I'm so happy I'm a teacher because I get to use all the funky inks and fun nibs everyday. Currently writing the grades on student copies with that 1.1 stub and a black shimmering ink. Commenting on the copies with a broad nib and california teal. Copies are full of colors, shimmer and sheen!

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
Pure curiosity: is it known what the binders are in FP-friendly pigment inks like Sailor Kiwa-Guro or Platinum Carbon?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Got one of the new Majohn A2s, which is a basically a modern resin, faceted Pilot Vanishing Point

Stupid issue: I can't get a proper picture because neither my camera nor my phone can get the colours right.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

grack posted:

Got one of the new Majohn A2s, which is a basically a modern resin, faceted Pilot Vanishing Point

Stupid issue: I can't get a proper picture because neither my camera nor my phone can get the colours right.

Mine's on the way from China, I've never held a VP or VP clone. Let's go!!

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

Last day to preorder any of the Yoseka limited edition Sailors!

I don't have anything particularly nice to say about the Refresh and Home pens, but the Origin is a pen I tracked down for months until I finally bought a used one, and I considered worth the effort

It really might be one of like, 2 or 3 rare Sailor colorways that seem actually worth the added expense. They have never done a green like it

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

SixteenShells posted:

Pure curiosity: is it known what the binders are in FP-friendly pigment inks like Sailor Kiwa-Guro or Platinum Carbon?

I guess known to a very small group of people who's job it is to know that stuff?

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

New pen day! Got a TWSBI Go, a Faber-Castell Hexo, and a Kaweco Perkeo. The Hexo is in EF, and the Go and Perkeo are in M.

Doctor Hospital fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 17, 2023

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Doctor Hospital posted:

New pen day! Got a TWSBI Go, a Faber-Castell Hexo, and a Kaweco Perkeo. The Hexo is in EF, and the Go and Perkeo are in M.

my twsbi go is a bit scratchy (probably because it's an EF) but easy to use and indestructible

I love it

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

sb hermit posted:

my twsbi go is a bit scratchy (probably because it's an EF) but easy to use and indestructible

I love it

The M nib on the Go is very smooth and it stays inked up and ready to go at a moment's notice, so I can definitely see it becoming my out-and-about pen. I haven't been in this hobby for long but I'm already smitten with TWSBI's utilitarian designs.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Nice pens!!!

Doctor Hospital posted:

I’m holding off while I exhaust every other possible option because I’m addicted to learning about fountain pens and have been since last year :aaaaa:

Pen Guy era is the most powerful era, of course I just got back into watches after growing up a Watch Kid too lol

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Doctor Hospital posted:

The M nib on the Go is very smooth and it stays inked up and ready to go at a moment's notice, so I can definitely see it becoming my out-and-about pen. I haven't been in this hobby for long but I'm already smitten with TWSBI's utilitarian designs.

My hot take: for the average user, TWSBI is what Lamy wishes it were.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Muir posted:

My hot take: for the average user, TWSBI is what Lamy wishes it were.

Yeah. I wish I had TWSBI around when I was starting out instead of Lamy! Though my early Lamy pens did serve me well, they were sources of frustration too.

Kaweco chat:

I finally got the bold nib in for my Iridescent Pearl! Sailor Manyo Haha shows up a lot better this way. The fun multicolored shading also finally stands out! (Had to find the right light for my phone camera to pick this up. I made sure the ink looked right.)

And my Iridescent Pearl:

effika fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Apr 18, 2023

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

effika posted:

Yeah. I wish I had TWSBI around when I was starting out instead of Lamy! Though my early Lamy pens did serve me well, they were sources of frustration too.

Kaweco chat:

I finally got the bold nib in for my Iridescent Pearl! Sailor Manyo Haha shows up a lot better this way. The fun multicolored shading also finally stands out! (Had to find the right light for my phone camera to pick this up. I made sure the ink looked right.)

And my Iridescent Pearl:

drat, that's a nice color shift. Maybe I'll have to get a bold nib when I eventually pull the trigger on a Sport.

I did a quick write with my Perkeo after seeing your much better handwriting. I did this on Maruman's Mnemosyne paper.

My handwriting has improved somewhat since I started using fountain pens, but I still have a lot of work to do.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Doctor Hospital posted:

drat, that's a nice color shift. Maybe I'll have to get a bold nib when I eventually pull the trigger on a Sport.

I did a quick write with my Perkeo after seeing your much better handwriting. I did this on Maruman's Mnemosyne paper.

My handwriting has improved somewhat since I started using fountain pens, but I still have a lot of work to do.

You’re asking the right questions.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

effika posted:

Kaweco chat:

I also just got my kaweco sport in broad.

The pen looks nice and the fit and finish is fair for the price. The nib is generally smooth (but it's a broad so that's to be expected I guess), but it certainly has some angles it prefers. If I write fast I tend to tilt the pen a bit and it gets slightly scratchy.

I'll probably get at least a second kaweco sport in medium because of all the colors available and to test the medium nib, but I probably won't get a brass one since I don't think the pen as a whole isn't good enough to justify to price of the brass version. It's a cheap pen and does the cheap pen thing very well, but I'd need more than a cool body to pay 100$ more.

Robert Oster Tokyo Blue Denim is relly nice though. The name describes the color pretty well and it shades a lot which I really like. It's going to be my main blue for a while until I go back to Kon Peki and the bright pop of brightness it brings.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Doctor Hospital posted:

:same:

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Me, maybe I should finally get around to getting a sailor 1911 Large in Tangerine dream. Looking online, poo poo, they’ve been taken off the market and only can find them new with extra fine nibs. )I prefer medium nibs.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

LionArcher posted:

Me, maybe I should finally get around to getting a sailor 1911 Large in Tangerine dream. Looking online, poo poo, they’ve been taken off the market and only can find them new with extra fine nibs. )I prefer medium nibs.

Well, looks like you'll have to buy a regular 1911 Large as well and swap the nibs.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

grack posted:

Well, looks like you'll have to buy a regular 1911 Large as well and swap the nibs.

I looked into that and didn't realize you could. Ugh. I guess my grail pen just got more expensive.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Majohn/Moonman A2 first impressions. I’ve never used a Vanishing Point.

Neat looking pen. Kinda involved to ink it up, but only a few more minutes than a “normal” fountain pen. I used the included twist converter. It comes with two empty cartridges as well as a plastic eyedropper. It’s possible to ink the converter in the usual dip-the-nib method if you don’t like eye dropping an empty cartridge.

Writing: the fine nib is smooth - very little scratch when compared to, say, my Pilot Metropolitan Fine. Flow is medium - not wet, not dry.

I notice that my particular pen’s nib assembly isn’t “rotated” off-center from the hole the way I understand VPs and their clones are, to create a better angle on paper despite the clip-grip you hold it in. I haven’t tried to rectify this yet, but I can definitely tell it’s not quite sitting where it should.

Oh, and the click! The clickety click is nice. It’s very satisfying to finish writing something with a satisfying thumb click instead of a lid snap. Fresh, different, much wow. Haven’t had it long enough to see how long the pen can sit without drying out.

Overall I’d give it three frogs out of four.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Platinum is releasing a new pigmented black ink called 'Chou Kuro' that is supposed to be 46% more black than their Carbon Black. It's got me super curious as to what it'll look like as Carbon Black is already one of the darkest black inks you can get.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Chip McFuck posted:

Platinum is releasing a new pigmented black ink called 'Chou Kuro' that is supposed to be 46% more black than their Carbon Black. It's got me super curious as to what it'll look like as Carbon Black is already one of the darkest black inks you can get.

Carbon Black has a sheen problem, if you care about that kind of thing. It could be darkened easily by removing that sheen.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Chip McFuck posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHy6_vQueLI

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

LionArcher posted:

I looked into that and didn't realize you could. Ugh. I guess my grail pen just got more expensive.

Sailor jobs are friction fit and not that difficult to pull usually.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Some sellers will even swap the nib you want in from another pen they have in stock without making you buy both. I know Nibsmith.com does that for Sailor and Taccia pens.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Muir posted:

Some sellers will even swap the nib you want in from another pen they have in stock without making you buy both. I know Nibsmith.com does that for Sailor and Taccia pens.

This is what the friendly lady at PW Akkerman in Amsterdam did for me.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

I was having some issues with my TWSBI Go's ink flow, so I popped it open and gave it a thorough cleaning. Lost about a half ml of Kaweco Pearl Black, but now that I've gone in and tinkered with it, I re-inked it with Shin-kai and it's writing smooth as silk with no extra pressure.

That said, I think for any TWSBI's I get going forward, I'm probably going with at least a B. I'll have to swap my Diamond 580's nib for the broad one I got as a spare after I run out the Majestic Blue in it.

It was actually really cool to take it entirely apart and give it a full cleaning, and it was neat that I could use the wrench that came with my 580 to open the ring around the piston, but drat, I wish the nib in the Go wasn't friction fit because I felt like I was going to break it the entire time.

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011
I have tinkered so much with my TWSBI GO's EF nib over the past two years and I can never get a consistent writing experience. I'll attempt to get it to write better once every 6 months, but always fail at it. It's the most frustrating pen experience I've had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Abyss posted:

I have tinkered so much with my TWSBI GO's EF nib over the past two years and I can never get a consistent writing experience. I'll attempt to get it to write better once every 6 months, but always fail at it. It's the most frustrating pen experience I've had.

At that price point, I imagine a lot of brands may be a crapshoot. Same thing happened to me with a Diplomat Magnum. Any suggestions on how to tune out hard starts?