Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G1mby
Jun 8, 2014

Camrath posted:

Get fudged!

Interested in a few bars - are you likely to be at Empire this weekend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's funny the number of people accusing the official name change of being 'communism', when the worst that you could accuse it of is being some kind of romantic nationalism, coming from the idea that there is something more organic or natural about the official name change (as opposed to the other name being regarded as insulting to the people there, like Port Elizabeth or Londonderry).

Park Authority *changes primary official name to a generally accepted alternative*
Ham People "this is what Marx wrote about in Communism Book"

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

G1mby posted:

Interested in a few bars - are you likely to be at Empire this weekend?

Afraid I don’t do Empire- find the whole thing rather intimidating tbh

G1mby
Jun 8, 2014

Camrath posted:

No worries, I'll order when I'm back then

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Greetings UKMT

I am being compelled to visit your accursed shores around the beginning of May, specifically Manchester, Leeds, and Edinburgh. I recall reading that public transit might be a bit less intuitive to visitors/well-functioning in the north, so I figured I'd ask here if you had any tips that might save me time/money/annoyance.

If you have any recommendations for things to see/eat/avoid, then I'm also all ears.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Manchester has trams at least, and contactless payment with an automatic daily cap.

e: Also a big statue of a bee.

G1mby
Jun 8, 2014

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Greetings UKMT

I am being compelled to visit your accursed shores around the beginning of May, specifically Manchester, Leeds, and Edinburgh. I recall reading that public transit might be a bit less intuitive to visitors/well-functioning in the north, so I figured I'd ask here if you had any tips that might save me time/money/annoyance.

If you have any recommendations for things to see/eat/avoid, then I'm also all ears.

The good news is that trains between those three are relatively straightforward - there's a direct line between Manchester and Leeds and you are back on the same line to York to change for Edinburgh. Expect it to be fairly expensive.

On things to see, York is a great city if you want to take a break on the journey and the train goes through Durham, which is another lovely little city (although will probably be rammed with students about that time)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Glinner is banned from the TransPennine.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
E:^^^ heh

Guavanaut posted:

Manchester has trams at least, and contactless payment with an automatic daily cap.

My wife's gonna be spending a lot of time in Manchester over the summer, so I'm pleased to learn about this Big Bee

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Greetings UKMT

You might want to consider a BritRail Pass? Depending what you're up to, worth checking out.
You have to select a non-UK country (top right hand corner) to see prices etc. They're not available to a Brit - these days if you say you're a Brit etc etc - and there's some kind of protection against inclement weather or strikes etc you can select for.

https://www.acprail.com/rail-passes/britrail/

The site does state (falsely) that reservations are never mandatory - well unless they mean 'if you have a BritRail pass' maybe it's different, but they're certainly mandatory on some trains I've used in the past few months!

Some more notes on Brit Rail pass (NOT the same as Rail Rovers which ARE available to Brits)scroll down the page for the info.
https://www.seat61.com/train-travel-in-britain.htm#rail-rovers

Also bear in mind that May 1st and May 8th (Coronation) are public holidays and this can muck up travel plans quite badly - again, depending where you're going, especially as the railways tend to do a lot of maintenance that needs long 'possessions' for work that can't be done overnight and sometimes routes are shut for 3 whole days over those.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 17, 2023

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
rishy says the young people being bad at sums is responsible for our economic shitheap hehe

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Rishi wouldn't even put the youth who fail maths in prison.

I would. Borstals for all of them. And then separate smaller prisons inside them for all the nonces that inevitably end up running the borstals.

Prisons all the way down.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Build a Hilbert Borstal which would be big enough to ironically house an infinite number of mathailures

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

If you make the whole country into a prison then you don't even need prisons and can save money.

Flux Wildly
Dec 20, 2004

Welkum tü Zanydu!

Quiche Starmer, wet eggs and gammon

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

It's funny the number of people accusing the official name change of being 'communism', when the worst that you could accuse it of is being some kind of romantic nationalism, coming from the idea that there is something more organic or natural about the official name change (as opposed to the other name being regarded as insulting to the people there, like Port Elizabeth or Londonderry).

Park Authority *changes primary official name to a generally accepted alternative*
Ham People "this is what Marx wrote about in Communism Book"

the Venn diagram of people who are deeply offended by the name change and people who could find the park on a map is two circles on opposite sides of the universe

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

G1mby posted:

The good news is that trains between those three are relatively straightforward - there's a direct line between Manchester and Leeds and you are back on the same line to York to change for Edinburgh. Expect it to be fairly expensive.

On things to see, York is a great city if you want to take a break on the journey and the train goes through Durham, which is another lovely little city (although will probably be rammed with students about that time)
I don't know about visiting York, might awaken something in me and convince me to stay.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

You might want to consider a BritRail Pass? Depending what you're up to, worth checking out.
You have to select a non-UK country (top right hand corner) to see prices etc. They're not available to a Brit - these days if you say you're a Brit etc etc - and there's some kind of protection against inclement weather or strikes etc you can select for.

https://www.acprail.com/rail-passes/britrail/

The site does state (falsely) that reservations are never mandatory - well unless they mean 'if you have a BritRail pass' maybe it's different, but they're certainly mandatory on some trains I've used in the past few months!

Some more notes on Brit Rail pass (NOT the same as Rail Rovers which ARE available to Brits)scroll down the page for the info.
https://www.seat61.com/train-travel-in-britain.htm#rail-rovers

Also bear in mind that May 1st and May 8th (Coronation) are public holidays and this can muck up travel plans quite badly - again, depending where you're going, especially as the railways tend to do a lot of maintenance that needs long 'possessions' for work that can't be done overnight and sometimes routes are shut for 3 whole days over those.
The BritRail Pass seems significantly more expensive if I'm just doing straight trips between the cities? A regular ticket from Manchester to Leeds, and Leeds to Edinburgh, seems to be only like 10/60 euro, compared to 560 euro for a BritRail Pass.

Cheers for the holiday warning, that's an easy thing to miss as a foreigner. (May 1st isn't even a holiday here in capitalist Denmark).

Guavanaut posted:

That's all I needed to hear.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

You guys are underselling it. There are loads of bee statues.

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

Soon all our buses will be bee-branded, that's the Burnham promiseedut: Andy beeham

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Flux Wildly posted:

Quiche Starmer, wet eggs and gammon

is this not broadly a supermarket scotch egg?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Green Wing posted:

Soon all our buses will be bee-branded, that's the Burnham promiseedut: Andy beeham
Andy Burnbee, as they call ladybirds there.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Manchester has hands down one of the best tram systems I've ever been on. It is also full of really beautiful buildings and locals who will tell you how "dead friendly" people in Manchester are... aggressively. Leeds is also great and Edinburgh is stunning, especially if the skies are clear.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Guavanaut posted:

Rishi wouldn't even put the youth who fail maths in prison.

I would. Borstals for all of them. And then separate smaller prisons inside them for all the nonces that inevitably end up running the borstals.

Prisons all the way down.

what about borstal bum rape but they're the same age

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
like in scum :/

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you're at leeds then the royal armouries are a fun visit. They have a strangely large selection of punt guns.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Camrath posted:

It's pretty chill if you treat it as a fantasy themed holiday and sit around drinking real booze bought with fake money. You're never in any danger of being fake-stabbed while popping to the toilets either.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/JustStop_Oil/status/1648032280651210752

https://twitter.com/H0wardHamlin/status/1648029487559241732

lol

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Did you just post an image on something awful and then attribute it :laugh:

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Julio Cruz posted:

the Venn diagram of people who are deeply offended by the name change and people who could find the park on a map is two circles on opposite sides of the universe

This isn't how Venn diagrams work.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Also, on the topic of quiches, the best way to make a quiche is to have halved cherry tomatoes face up on top of the quiche so they roast in the oven all nicely like. I can count among my achievements a quiche so good it impressed a minor celebrity (no I won't be doxxing them)

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

OwlFancier posted:

If you're at leeds then the royal armouries are a fun visit. They have a strangely large selection of punt guns.

It's good, and the crossbow range is fun

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Lord of the Llamas posted:

post/avatar/redtext triple combo

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Lord of the Llamas posted:

If it's good enough for the Guardian...

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Julio Cruz posted:

post/avatar/redtext triple combo

The Venn diagram between that post, his avatar and his red text is 5 circles looking at each other from the same window

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

It's pretty chill if you treat it as a fantasy themed holiday and sit around drinking real booze bought with fake money. You're never in any danger of being fake-stabbed while popping to the toilets either.

See I keep telling myself I’ll try it out, then go onto one of the faction fb groups and see people being like ‘well, that hood is too late-14th century when the brief is early’ and lose all interest and desire. :p

…as if I haven’t literally today dropped 300 quid on an accurate custom tailored 95th rifles uniform for a Sharpe Larp at the end of may. Tbh I’m not sure how well I’d do at a fest larp these days- I mostly just do Eyelarp filmsim and one sci-fi system (Orion Sphere, which is awesome and everyone should come).

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Skull Servant posted:

If it's good enough for the Guardian...

The internet comedy forums debate forum ukmt thread does hold itself to a higher standard than some things.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

sebzilla posted:

It's good, and the crossbow range is fun

I don't think they had that when I went, but there was a wing closed so I also didn't get to see the elephant

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

That's definitely on the itinerary. Every weapon in Denmark is from like the viking age, which gets a bit dull.

OwlFancier posted:

I don't think they had that when I went, but there was a wing closed so I also didn't get to see the elephant
Looking forward to the elephant shooting range.

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

You guys are underselling it. There are loads of bee statues.
Gonna have to take a picture of all of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G1mby
Jun 8, 2014

Camrath posted:

See I keep telling myself I’ll try it out, then go onto one of the faction fb groups and see people being like ‘well, that hood is too late-14th century when the brief is early’ and lose all interest and desire. :p

…as if I haven’t literally today dropped 300 quid on an accurate custom tailored 95th rifles uniform for a Sharpe Larp at the end of may. Tbh I’m not sure how well I’d do at a fest larp these days- I mostly just do Eyelarp filmsim and one sci-fi system (Orion Sphere, which is awesome and everyone should come).

Well, if you fancy just taking a look it I think we're taking on crew at the moment, both for IC and OC roles.