Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just did chapter 14 of my Bayonetta replay. While the final rival fight is a good way to end it, the first two verses riding the missile suck, partially because using the dodge makes the whole screen spin so it's really disorienting. It's just an unfun gimmick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Is Bayonetta one of those games where you just fight a single boss for twenty minutes and move on to the next level? I've wanted to play it but that kind of game never really appealed to me. Except, I guess, Shadow of the Colossus kind of being an exception.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Picked up Cities Skylines again this evening and I don't know if it's an issue with my setup or whatever but for some reason the autosave wasn't turned on by default. Clean install and everything.

Really fun to find out after I had a good 10k+ city going on which was hit by a tsunami that left literally 17 survivors lol.

Guess I have to start over in a couple of days, but at least I'm figuring out the new zoning stuff that gives you control over what you build and has a bit of an Anno vibe with production chains and stuff. Also I have a bunch of new maps to play with now.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

credburn posted:

Is Bayonetta one of those games where you just fight a single boss for twenty minutes and move on to the next level? I've wanted to play it but that kind of game never really appealed to me. Except, I guess, Shadow of the Colossus kind of being an exception.

No, it's more like Devil May Cry (or Metal Gear Rising or Hi-Fi Rush if you've played either of those). You go through a series of ranked fights against regular enemies, with some light exploration/traversal in between, and then at the end of the mission you'll sometimes fight a boss. What you're describing sounds more like Monster Hunter.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

credburn posted:

I have to admit I'm kind of curious about why you've wanted to play it despite not knowing what type of game it even is.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

SiKboy posted:

I have to admit I'm kind of curious about why you've wanted to play it despite not knowing what type of game it even is.

Maybe he's a hair fetishist?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Honestly I have no idea if the outfits made of hair is supposed to be taking the piss out of the religious concept of the "hair shirt" aka a method of humbling oneself by making it literal and taking it to an extreme.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

SiKboy posted:

It's just one of those games that's very celebrated and talked about.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Well sometimes a Bayonetta level is actually just a boss fight, especially in 2.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The game also has a very oversexed sense of humour and while I don't mind that and sometimes it can be genuinely funny, it can also be a bit much at times. It all depends on your mileage for that kind of thing.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Agreed. The extreme sexiness of Bayonetta can Bayolotta

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I'm playing the battle network games since that collection came out and I forgot about how much of a pain in the rear end the first game could be. I've been sitting here trying to find one specific encounter in one specific area for two hours now. I've found it three times. Every time I beat it, it's only dropped money instead of the items I need so I can just go back to pretending it doesn't exist.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!
The best Battle Network games are 3, 6, and 5, in that order. The rest are sadly forgettable. Well, not forgettable. Ridiculous, of course, and entertaining, but actually playing them can be a chore.

Thing dragging it down: I can't just buy 3 and 6 cheaper without the other 4 games

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

JackSplater posted:

The best Battle Network games are 3, 6, and 5, in that order. The rest are sadly forgettable. Well, not forgettable. Ridiculous, of course, and entertaining, but actually playing them can be a chore.

Thing dragging it down: I can't just buy 3 and 6 cheaper without the other 4 games

I'd replace 5 with 2, personally. But I like 2 a lot despite it being, largely, a middle entry between 1 and 3. Also another disappointing thing about the collection: they didn't go above and beyond expectations and include the cool features of the DS version of 5, like Sol Cross.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Where the gently caress is it, Remake?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Nuebot posted:

I'd replace 5 with 2, personally. But I like 2 a lot despite it being, largely, a middle entry between 1 and 3. Also another disappointing thing about the collection: they didn't go above and beyond expectations and include the cool features of the DS version of 5, like Sol Cross.
I really like 2 and 5 both - 2 is a very "pure" experience, especially 3 is sometimes too maximalist for my taste. There's always another boss, another level, another obscure hidden thing to unlock and then grind for. Also the bosses in 3 suck rear end!!! They are very unfun to fight!

5 is a bit slow and can be repetitive, but I really like Liberation Missions - if you hate those, then yeah you'll hate it. However, generally I feel 5 is just very polished, cleanly designed, a shocking return to form after 4 which might honestly be the worst game I've ever played. I got an honestly kinda worrying appreciation for bad games, and actively seek out famous desasters to experience them myself - and I usually finish those, just to form an opinion about everything they have to offer. We're talking about games like Metroid: Other M (genuinely awful), Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness (terrible but hilariously so), Sonic 2006 (I'm almost finished with a 100% Let's Play because I like it so much lol). But Battle Network 4 is unfinishably awful - I've tried three times, both versions, but it is such a joyless slog in every relentless second that I just could not go on with it. Maybe on the Collection with a bit of Buster Max cheating I can stomach it for long enough to finally mark it off but I am not looking forward to even the next attempt.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Finally finished up my slow playthrough of the old Donkey Kong Countrys, and boy does DKC3 have the most disappointing reward for finishing all the levels and collecting all the DK coins - a new vehicle that gets you access to a few more of the game's hidden Simon puzzles and a 20-second cutscene if you finish that quest off. Somehow it feels more disappointing than just the ranking screen you got in the last game, giving you a whole new vehicle with no real gameplay left seems dumb. Should've shifted things around so your getting it unlocks the final set of levels or something.
I've played DKC3 a lot as a kid because a buddy had it (and not 2), and the more I think about it the more I realize it's just kind of bad. DKC2 is so much better, a true platformer masterpiece, it's unreal how much 3 drops the ball.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
The best was Mega Man Battle Network 5: Double Team DS because at the title screen it would call out "Mega Man Battle Network 5: Double Team DS"

And then 6 didn't even have a special DS version, the gently caress is that

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Simply Simon posted:

I really like 2 and 5 both - 2 is a very "pure" experience, especially 3 is sometimes too maximalist for my taste. There's always another boss, another level, another obscure hidden thing to unlock and then grind for. Also the bosses in 3 suck rear end!!! They are very unfun to fight!

5 is a bit slow and can be repetitive, but I really like Liberation Missions - if you hate those, then yeah you'll hate it. However, generally I feel 5 is just very polished, cleanly designed, a shocking return to form after 4 which might honestly be the worst game I've ever played. I got an honestly kinda worrying appreciation for bad games, and actively seek out famous desasters to experience them myself - and I usually finish those, just to form an opinion about everything they have to offer. We're talking about games like Metroid: Other M (genuinely awful), Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness (terrible but hilariously so), Sonic 2006 (I'm almost finished with a 100% Let's Play because I like it so much lol). But Battle Network 4 is unfinishably awful - I've tried three times, both versions, but it is such a joyless slog in every relentless second that I just could not go on with it. Maybe on the Collection with a bit of Buster Max cheating I can stomach it for long enough to finally mark it off but I am not looking forward to even the next attempt.

I've played DKC3 a lot as a kid because a buddy had it (and not 2), and the more I think about it the more I realize it's just kind of bad. DKC2 is so much better, a true platformer masterpiece, it's unreal how much 3 drops the ball.

Yeah I'm not looking forward to 4 very much, but the buster max shenanigans are pretty appreciable in the first game so far. It's nice to flip it on, run through an area and just clear most things out that get in the way. It doesn't completely negate grinding since most things you want need an S rank and you can't get that with the buster, but if you just want to go fast it's spectacular.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Actually, worth asking while the subject is here: how much of the Boktai crossover stuff in BN5 and 6 is in this time? A bunch of that got cut from the international release because Boktai flopped hard enough that its sequels didn't get localized, but I know 5 had a minigame cut and 6 had I think a whole sidequest.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Cleretic posted:

Actually, worth asking while the subject is here: how much of the Boktai crossover stuff in BN5 and 6 is in this time? A bunch of that got cut from the international release because Boktai flopped hard enough that its sequels didn't get localized, but I know 5 had a minigame cut and 6 had I think a whole sidequest.

I think most of it is in? The e-cards are in, and I think the content was restored. I haven't heard whether or not the boss fight was still in though since I think there were some murmurs on licensing issues with that, specifically.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Cowards at capcom release another mega man collection ignoring the legends series.

If I were rich like elon musk I wouldn't be loving around buying twitter, I'd buy a majority stake in capcom and force them to acknowledge mega man legends exists.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

bossy lady posted:

Cowards at capcom release another mega man collection ignoring the legends series.

If I were rich like elon musk I wouldn't be loving around buying twitter, I'd buy a majority stake in capcom and force them to acknowledge mega man legends exists.

Personally I'd instead have them release a Weird Other Mega Man Games Collection. Do it like the Sonic Gems Collection where they use Legends and Legends 2 as the promos and then fill the rest with the weird what-the-fucks that you'll only play out of morbid curiosity, like Power Battles, Network Transmission, Mega Man Soccer and Command Mission.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
:moreevil: :moreevil:
Good ol' MMBN4.
I think I liked all the Starforce games more than 4. Maybe. I don't remember.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Cleretic posted:

Personally I'd instead have them release a Weird Other Mega Man Games Collection. Do it like the Sonic Gems Collection where they use Legends and Legends 2 as the promos and then fill the rest with the weird what-the-fucks that you'll only play out of morbid curiosity, like Power Battles, Network Transmission, Mega Man Soccer and Command Mission.

I really hope you're not rolling Misadventures of Tron Bonne in with the "weird what-the-fucks". That game was the best part of the Legends series, and any collection that has Legends 1 and 2 without Misadventures is a crime against all that is good and pure in gaming.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
The modern Mega Man collections backslid with that. The gamecube era classic and X collections included the arcade fighting games and the kart racer spinoff, respectively.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Nuebot posted:

Yeah I'm not looking forward to 4 very much, but the buster max shenanigans are pretty appreciable in the first game so far. It's nice to flip it on, run through an area and just clear most things out that get in the way. It doesn't completely negate grinding since most things you want need an S rank and you can't get that with the buster, but if you just want to go fast it's spectacular.
Let's see how it goes and if/when I want to start BN4. My recommendation is to just not play it, at least once you realize how brutally unfun it (probably) is for you - should be right around when you have barely upgraded your starting folder but the random encounters are 100+ health hammer dudes that force you to wait for small invulnerability times, as well as sheep enemies that never stop charging and have to be hit twice to kill. Sometimes both in the same battle.

In my attempts to give BN4 and honest shake, I've found that apart from the massive structural issues, the backtracking and dungeon design, the boring fetch quests etc. etc., the biggest problem is the encounters being plain hard as hell AND your chip selection being mostly ones that are hard to use. It makes every random encounter into a highly concentration demanding clencher where missing split second timing or just being unlucky causes massively bad gamefeel. You lose MINUTES of your real life time if you screw up a counter sometimes.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Randalor posted:

I really hope you're not rolling Misadventures of Tron Bonne in with the "weird what-the-fucks". That game was the best part of the Legends series, and any collection that has Legends 1 and 2 without Misadventures is a crime against all that is good and pure in gaming.

I forgot about Misadventures! Yeah, that one's gotta be a headliner of this collection. Hell, call it 'Mega Man Misadventures Collection', really embrace it.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Simply Simon posted:

Also the bosses in 3 suck rear end!!! They are very unfun to fight!

Other than the quitessential "gently caress you" boss bubbleman, I don't think I agree? With bad folders they all suck, but a decent folder makes most of them a nonissue.

Flashman: Paralysis can be annoying but he telegraphs so hard it's funny.
Beastman: More about reaction times than anything, just stay in the middle column and he's fine.
Bubbleman: Fuuuuuuck this guy. "I'm gonna stay in the back row, behind an obstacle, with a shield so you have to hit me once before you can do any damage and it respawns super fast, holes in the middle of both sides of the stage to control your movement and so that i can spawn an endless stream of bubbles to gently caress with you, I'm gonna hide behind the bubbles when I'm not behind the rock, throwing attacks at you because gently caress you, and you can't even areagrab lock me because of the hole in my stage! Glub glub!"
Desertman: Has a very set pattern to everything except floor holes. Has a very large weakness you're meant to exploit.
PlantMan: Just a standard boss fight, never saw anything wrong with it,
FlamMan: One very specific gimmick that's fairly easy to deal with. Otherwise is a chump.
Drillman: Okay yeah I can see this one being unfun.
Final Bosses: First one is a damage check, but otherwise is mostly a joke. Break his shield and then interrupt his shield-restoring attacks. Second one is learning his patterns and having some way to break his shield, which works completely differently to the first boss' shield.
Gutsman: Gets more fun the farther in the game you are, but early Gutsman is a complete chump and slower than a Mettaur.
Protoman: Eh. I don't much care for his fights but he's basically Beastman but faster and more anime.
Metalman: A stage gimmick and an otherwise completely patterned fight. Can be interesting figuring out how you want to deal with the gimmick.
KingMan: This fight exists entirely to teach you not to stand in the back row, and also serves as a warmup for Desertman. Stay out of the back row and a lot of problems go away.
MistMan: This one's a good time. Similar to final boss 1 in the whole 'interrupt his attacks' thing and has a few strategies you can use to control the fight completely.
BowlMan: I had white as a kid, so no idea.
Punk: See above.
DarkMan: I don't think I ever fought this guy legitimately, so I honestly don't know what his fight is like. AreaGrabx3, then just stand in whatever column he's in until you get your GG chip combo.
JapanMan: Other than the dumb name, this fight was okay? I don't remember much about it other than his ultimate attack, which was a good way to turn the fight against him.
Serenade: I really, really wish you could do this fight more than once. Wasn't the hardest boss fight in the game, but has a gimmick that negates a whole lot of attacks unless you learn how to deal with it.

This was meant to be an analysis of if fights are fun and ended up just being a boss analysis. Oh well. Only a couple are what I'd consider actively unfun, a couple have gimmicks I didn't care for, and the rest are perfectly fine.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

It's not all of them - I agree with a lot of the ones you said are fine, like Plant or Desert Man - but I personally really dislike Beast, King, and yeah, Drill off your list too. Lots of the "just fine" ones also just have too much HP imo (e.g. Flame) which is inflated because you have to keep dodging attacks during which they are invulnerable and dealing with their heavy gimmicks.

It's preference for sure, you said about one or two it's a reaction time test and well, I'm just not that good at BN! Or rather, I'm not interested in treating the games as pure skill excercises, I'm more into the collecting/deckbuilding/clever interactions aspect.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

bossy lady posted:

The Megaman X Dive gacha game has actual Negative Karma Megaman Volnut as a character, complete with sunglasses and the suitcase full of money.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Hitman Freelancer is great. Your safehouse is great. But dear god I want to be able to turn off the icons that show you can change the decor because I'm happy with how my kitchen looks, just let me wander through without the little menu option appear whenever I run through it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

While it's fun, something about Bayonetta makes my thumb hurt, probably because of holding the button on melee attacks to extend it to gun follow ups with that limb. Could just be the wii U controller though.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Against the Storm: the lowest difficulty is too easy, the next step up is too hard.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Schubalts posted:

The Megaman X Dive gacha game has actual Negative Karma Megaman Volnut as a character, complete with sunglasses and the suitcase full of money.

Things dragging this game down: Becoming dark mega man looks cool and you get paid as gently caress but it makes roll sad which is unacceptable.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Darkest Dungeon doesn't remember which mission you picked on the 'embark' screen if you do anything after picking it. I've picked a mission, picked a squad and come out of the embark menu for whatever reason and happily clicked 'provision' and ended up on a completely different mission to the one I thought I'd selected about half a dozen times now and of course it's compulsory ironman so there goes most of my time gaming for today and a ton of cascading failure costs on a mission I probably can't win because I've picked a bleed-heavy squad for a dungeon full of skeletons.

e: drat it, I actually did well and I got a lot of human enemies but Wyld Reconstruction decided to heal for loving 0 when 1 would have done

Walton Simons has a new favorite as of 23:33 on Apr 17, 2023

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The load times in control are nuts, it's like I'm joining a map in Battlefield 1942.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Simply Simon posted:

Let's see how it goes and if/when I want to start BN4. My recommendation is to just not play it, at least once you realize how brutally unfun it (probably) is for you - should be right around when you have barely upgraded your starting folder but the random encounters are 100+ health hammer dudes that force you to wait for small invulnerability times, as well as sheep enemies that never stop charging and have to be hit twice to kill. Sometimes both in the same battle.

In my attempts to give BN4 and honest shake, I've found that apart from the massive structural issues, the backtracking and dungeon design, the boring fetch quests etc. etc., the biggest problem is the encounters being plain hard as hell AND your chip selection being mostly ones that are hard to use. It makes every random encounter into a highly concentration demanding clencher where missing split second timing or just being unlucky causes massively bad gamefeel. You lose MINUTES of your real life time if you screw up a counter sometimes.

I've beaten 4 more times than 1 because I really liked the battle network series and my childhood frustration with the powerplant segment of the first game left me determined that it was the worst thing ever. Incidentally I just beat that power plant without even running out of battery, because when you're not a literal stupid child it's really easy.

bossy lady posted:

Things dragging this game down: Becoming dark mega man looks cool and you get paid as gently caress but it makes roll sad which is unacceptable.

She sells your shining laser to buy herself a jacket, she deserves it.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Hitman Freelancer is great. Your safehouse is great. But dear god I want to be able to turn off the icons that show you can change the decor because I'm happy with how my kitchen looks, just let me wander through without the little menu option appear whenever I run through it.

You probably know this but if you interact with that icon to preview/look at the new stuff and then set it how you like it, it will go away.

My issue with freelancer is that safe house xp grinds far too slowly especially post lvl 50. It takes so much work for me to unlock the next Agent 47, homemaker milestone. :saddowns:

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Waste of Breath posted:

You probably know this but if you interact with that icon to preview/look at the new stuff and then set it how you like it, it will go away.

My issue with freelancer is that safe house xp grinds far too slowly especially post lvl 50. It takes so much work for me to unlock the next Agent 47, homemaker milestone. :saddowns:

Yeah, just open the menu once and then it'll disappear forever (unless you use instinct to find it again).

My Freelancer drag-down: That loving guard in the teller ship in the New York level. If you've played Freelancer, you probably know the one I'm talking about. He goes back and forth between the two glass doors in a glass room, with guards and tellers and civilians all over the loving place, and he's been a target multiple times. He even taunts you by stopping to take a drink in the middle of his short patrol, but there's no disguise in that level that can non-suspiciously poison drinks, and someone is always watching in that room.

I'm sure it's possible to get away with it by causing a distraction somewhere else and getting everyone to look away, but that's too complicated. I just throw an explosive at him now and run like hell back down into the vault to escape (because if I have that guy as a target, he's the last thing I'll deal with before exiting).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Waste of Breath posted:

Yeah I kinda stopped playing around level 50. It's a great mode but by that point I was keen to do other stuff and the drip-feed of rewards wasn't enough of an incentive to keep playing. I expect I'll go back at some point though.