Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
just ordered a bunch of seeds from rareseeds.com so I can plant the seeds in my garden once the goddamn temperature comes up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Stroker Ace
Feb 7, 2007

Incredibly impulsively bought a Switch this weekend. Got Zelda and it’s awesome so far, any suggestions? I like space stuff.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

The Stroker Ace posted:

Incredibly impulsively bought a Switch this weekend. Got Zelda and it’s awesome so far, any suggestions? I like space stuff.

super mario odyssey is GOATed

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

ignore ports that you already played but

mario kart 8
metroid dread
metroid prime remastered
13 sentinels: aegis rim
kirby and the forgotten land
astral chain
into the breach
dead cells
olliolli world
xenoblade chronicles 1/2/3 or just 2/3

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

oh yeah, gnosia

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

The Stroker Ace posted:

a few months after i graduated high school i was working for my brother-in-law and was making decent cash. was wandering around gamestop one day and thinking "gently caress I wanna play twisted metal black I wish I had a PS2." then came the first realization i was a fuckin adult and could buy myself a ps2 if i wanted. so i did. my girlfriend said it was a waste of money but I was chucking explosive corpses at sweet tooth so she was full of poo poo

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I thought by 37 I'd feel like an adult but I still don't. I don't feel like an expert at anything or like I have a good grasp on anything. Life still feels like I'm going by the seat of my pants. But I think that's ok and this is probably how everyone feels. I bet my dad felt like this when he was 37. Hell he probably still feels like this at 67.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
old people could buy a row of ten houses for 30 grand when they were in their mid-20s, fck em all!!!

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Stardew Valley, Pure Pool, many others

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Shard posted:

I thought by 37 I'd feel like an adult but I still don't. I don't feel like an expert at anything or like I have a good grasp on anything. Life still feels like I'm going by the seat of my pants. But I think that's ok and this is probably how everyone feels. I bet my dad felt like this when he was 37. Hell he probably still feels like this at 67.

you're an expert at keeping people in their homes, posting about wrestling, and being present for your children.

that's 3 things and i barely even know you.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Shard posted:

Once you realize adult is just a title we give people when we think they're "ready" a lot of things fall into place. Everyone is just a child pushing for that high score. People who live past 100 are the type who are trying to get the pac man machine to lock up.

The Stroker Ace
Feb 7, 2007

Thanks for the recommendations!

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Shinjobi posted:

Once you realize adult is just a title we give people when we think they're "ready" a lot of things fall into place. Everyone is just a child pushing for that high score. People who live past 100 are the type who are trying to get the pac man machine to lock up.

Billy Mitchell will live to be 147, in the same sense as Shelly Miscavige will

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

It's mostly a legal designation

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Bluedeanie posted:

Billy Mitchell will live to be 147, in the same sense as Shelly Miscavige will

Rough chuckle

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Penguin Patrol posted:

you're an expert at keeping people in their homes, posting about wrestling, and being present for your children.

that's 3 things and i barely even know you.

that's sweet of you

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I saw the mountain goats live. It was lovely.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Gumball Gumption posted:

It's mostly a legal designation

yeah

and an important one at that

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

mariooncrack posted:

I saw the mountain goats live. It was lovely.

When I saw them a guy screamed “Cubs in Five” during a quiet moment between songs and John just leaned into the mic and said “no”.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

everyone stood up and clapped.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Xenoblade Chronicles HD remake is still my favorite of the trilogy but 3 is making hard case in my heart. Storyline is pretty bonkers

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

coconono posted:

Xenoblade Chronicles HD remake is still my favorite of the trilogy but 3 is making hard case in my heart. Storyline is pretty bonkers

I really need to go back and play that

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Shard posted:

imposter syndrome is a gently caress, you got a loving family and public service job, that alone is more than a significant portion of this fucker country can say. it's common that true experts in something don't even realize they're good at it. I got a buddy who does drawing, but like really good drawing. for a long time he was like "I'm not good at drawing I just doodle and screw around I've never even taken any art classes!" it wasn't until his wife badgered him into submitting something for a contest (he won second place out of like 2000 submissions) that he realized his own ability. he doesn't make a living on art but has a little side business doing rpg character portraits and painting minis and stuff.

The Stroker Ace
Feb 7, 2007

Shard posted:

There’s this band I love called Iron Chic and one their lyrics is “there’s no answers so take a guess and make up the rest.” The older I get the more that rings true. I don’t think anyone knows what they’re doing totally.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

The Stroker Ace posted:

There’s this band I love called Iron Chic and one their lyrics is “there’s no answers so take a guess and make up the rest.” The older I get the more that rings true. I don’t think anyone knows what they’re doing totally.

Hell yeah, Iron Chic buddy. Also have always loved seeing your Hot Water Music av.

I turn 40 this year and I still don't know what the gently caress we're supposed to be doing. I don't know if my parents felt the same way. I have 2 older siblings and my mother & stepfather always just seemed to know what they were doing, but I'm sure a lot of it was a guessing game. Maybe less so once I was born since they had been through it with two kids already by then.

Sometimes I think back to stuff like when we'd get hit with a major storm like a blizzard that dumps feet of snow on us and knocks out power and poo poo, and as a kid you just kind of trust that your parents know what they're doing and you're just excited about the snow and the days off from school. I'm sure they were freaking out and taking steps to prepare for stuff like that, I just never realized it or noticed it as a kid.

As an adult, having to worry about and plan for and think about this stuff with our own home, I have to assume my parents also felt the same confusion and uncertainty about what to do at times. Maybe because my partner and I don't have, and aren't going to have, kids we can voice our concerns a little more freely because we don't need to make sure our kid doesn't freak out about us freaking out.

I feel like there's also a weird suspended animation this generation is living in. Everything that was popular when we were kids just keeps getting recycled and becoming popular again and again, and like 80% of media consumption is based around nostalgia from when we were kids. I could be wrong since I didn't really live through the times in the same way, but I have to assume it wasn't like this for our parents when they were our age. For them, everything maybe felt like it was moving forward and you had to "put childish things away". For our generation, every corporation caters to us and sells us all of our childhood back to us. How could we ever really expect to feel grown and like "real adults" in those circumstances?

I don't know. I think about this poo poo all of the time as this wall of text probably makes clear, but at the end of the day I think you've just got to do your best and live your life the best way you can. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go stare longingly at my VHS collection.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
If you have to pay your bills, you’re an adult. That’s it. You made it.

The Stroker Ace posted:

Into the Breach
Slay the Spire
Steamworld Heist
Dead Cells
Hades

Those are what I’ve played most besides BOTW I think. I know they’re on other platforms but I love them on the switch.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Ganso Bomb posted:

Hell yeah, Iron Chic buddy. Also have always loved seeing your Hot Water Music av.

I turn 40 this year and I still don't know what the gently caress we're supposed to be doing. I don't know if my parents felt the same way. I have 2 older siblings and my mother & stepfather always just seemed to know what they were doing, but I'm sure a lot of it was a guessing game. Maybe less so once I was born since they had been through it with two kids already by then.

Sometimes I think back to stuff like when we'd get hit with a major storm like a blizzard that dumps feet of snow on us and knocks out power and poo poo, and as a kid you just kind of trust that your parents know what they're doing and you're just excited about the snow and the days off from school. I'm sure they were freaking out and taking steps to prepare for stuff like that, I just never realized it or noticed it as a kid.

As an adult, having to worry about and plan for and think about this stuff with our own home, I have to assume my parents also felt the same confusion and uncertainty about what to do at times. Maybe because my partner and I don't have, and aren't going to have, kids we can voice our concerns a little more freely because we don't need to make sure our kid doesn't freak out about us freaking out.

I feel like there's also a weird suspended animation this generation is living in. Everything that was popular when we were kids just keeps getting recycled and becoming popular again and again, and like 80% of media consumption is based around nostalgia from when we were kids. I could be wrong since I didn't really live through the times in the same way, but I have to assume it wasn't like this for our parents when they were our age. For them, everything maybe felt like it was moving forward and you had to "put childish things away". For our generation, every corporation caters to us and sells us all of our childhood back to us. How could we ever really expect to feel grown and like "real adults" in those circumstances?

I don't know. I think about this poo poo all of the time as this wall of text probably makes clear, but at the end of the day I think you've just got to do your best and live your life the best way you can. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go stare longingly at my VHS collection.

Yeah I have had to deal with city evacuations, 21 inch flooding, blackouts, tornadoes etc as an adult. I just want my kids to feel like everything is ok but that means taking it on my shoulders. Oh god now I'm remembering when I used to work for the state and actually evacuated Lake Charles and then when everyone was gone sped away from Hurricane Laura at 2 in the morning to get out of the blast zone. Jesus adulting

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

everybody feels that way sometimes. my FIL is in his 70s and he still feels like he's out on the sea without a paddle. you do good work and take care of your fam shard. despite any misgivings your mind might be screaming at you you've got a good handle on things

i'm 37, married, and a parent. i feel like i'm still that little high school kid even though that hasn't been the case for 20 years. imposter syndrome is a gently caress.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Shard posted:

Yeah I have had to deal with city evacuations, 21 inch flooding, blackouts, tornadoes etc as an adult. I just want my kids to feel like everything is ok but that means taking it on my shoulders. Oh god now I'm remembering when I used to work for the state and actually evacuated Lake Charles and then when everyone was gone sped away from Hurricane Laura at 2 in the morning to get out of the blast zone. Jesus adulting

It sucks real bad sometimes! When we moved into our first house in Texas, my partner went back home for a week to visit her family. Then Hurricane Harvey hit Texas. Where we were in Austin didn't get slammed like a lot of other places did, but there I was alone in a brand new house for the first time trying to figure out what I'd do if everything went sideways and I had to figure out a way to keep the house/pets safe or whatever. Luckily some neighbors helped me keep the newly planted tree in our front hard from blowing out of the ground and to who knows where. But, I didn't sleep for probably 3 days and just kept moving into different rooms of the house where the wind wasn't as loud banging against the walls of the house.

At least when we had The Ultimate Freeze a couple years back in Austin, we were there together so we could tackle things and prepare together but poo poo. It's all hosed up!

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Joey McChrist posted:

everybody feels that way sometimes. my FIL is in his 70s and he still feels like he's out on the sea without a paddle. you do good work and take care of your fam shard. despite any misgivings your mind might be screaming at you you've got a good handle on things

i'm 37, married, and a parent. i feel like i'm still that little high school kid even though that hasn't been the case for 20 years. imposter syndrome is a gently caress.

That's the exact feeling. I feel like that 11th grader making movies with his friends after school still, walking around New Orleans, taking street cars to bodegas and local markets and that hasn't been the case for 20 years lol

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Ganso Bomb posted:

It sucks real bad sometimes! When we moved into our first house in Texas, my partner went back home for a week to visit her family. Then Hurricane Harvey hit Texas. Where we were in Austin didn't get slammed like a lot of other places did, but there I was alone in a brand new house for the first time trying to figure out what I'd do if everything went sideways and I had to figure out a way to keep the house/pets safe or whatever. Luckily some neighbors helped me keep the newly planted tree in our front hard from blowing out of the ground and to who knows where. But, I didn't sleep for probably 3 days and just kept moving into different rooms of the house where the wind wasn't as loud banging against the walls of the house.

At least when we had The Ultimate Freeze a couple years back in Austin, we were there together so we could tackle things and prepare together but poo poo. It's all hosed up!

You and I were getting hit by the same poo poo. I actually worked an emergency shelter for people fleeing from Harvey. Met a kid whos parents died and I had to help him get in touch with CPS so they could help get him in touch with family who was also missing. The winter event of 2020 knocked our poo poo down as well. Weather in the south got too spicy for me, that's why I went to the way up north: Indiana

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i said too much about irl

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Captain Magic posted:

If you have to pay your bills, you’re an adult. That’s it. You made it.

I think that's as good a rule as any. Are you still getting any financial help from your parents or in-laws?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Shinjobi posted:

I really need to go back and play that

It’s my fave “wander around, collect poo poo, wreck monsters” game. The story and setting is really wild too.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

HBO’s Succession, season four episode four

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

roman royns

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

NienNunb posted:

HBO’s Succession, season four episode four

no

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

The Stroker Ace posted:

Ganso Bomb posted:

I've seen Iron Chic twice! Love them!

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

It’s good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

mariooncrack posted:

Occasionally I'm reminded of a really unnecessary romance between Hooper and Brody's wife from the Jaws novel. The book is terrible, just watch the movie.

Hahaha I had completely forgotten about that, it's so loving bizarre and out of place and, from memory, literally has no other bearing on the plot?