Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Young Freud posted:

Also, just from watching a lot of Warsaw Pact tanks brew up in Syria, it's the gas fire that starts the ammo explosion, because a lot of those tanks ran their fuel lines around the turret ring. They would catch fire when hit, then the fire spreads to the ammo carousel just under the turret ring, and suddenly the turret is airborne.

The vigorous sudden flames or pillars of fire aren't fuel, they're caused by propellant. The T-64/72/80/90 series tanks use a separate propellant charge rammed in behind the shell. These propellant charges are mostly stored in the autoloader carousel, right next to the shells but can also be stored around racks in the crew space with additional shells.

Basically it's much easier to light up propellant than high explosives (this is after all what it's meant for) and unlike fuel (but more like gunpowder) once it burns, it burns quick and very hot. Hot enough to cook off a high explosive shell in the vicinity, causing the earth shattering kaboom.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Apr 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
BBC recently did a good story about the ongoing Cyber War that erupted out of the invasion and the blurring between criminal and government sanctioned hacking.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX9emwKYemE

Australia's ABC investigative reporting program 4corners is also airing an episode about Russian hacking groups targeting countries that have supported Ukraine, much more focused on domestic incidents in Australia but still related to the Cyber front.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m6Ydx0TGMY

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Awful

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1647925079475470338

StarBegotten
Mar 23, 2016

The "special operation" in Ukraine is going so well for Putin's regime that they are still locking up vocal critics of it. :(

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-65297003

"Opposition activist Vladimir Kara-Murza has been sentenced to 25 years in jail in Russia for charges linked to his criticism of the war in Ukraine.
He was found guilty of treason, spreading "false" information about the Russian army and being affiliated with an "undesirable organisation"."

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1647717527433216000
So what's the military application of attacking electrical substations in Russia other than a gently caress you towards them for attacking Ukranian infrastructure?

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Willo567 posted:

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1647717527433216000
So what's the military application of attacking electrical substations in Russia other than a gently caress you towards them for attacking Ukranian infrastructure?

Probably aiming to impact logistics. Belgorod has an electric rail system, and this is just me pulling this outta my rear end but I wouldn't be surprised if the Russian military is leveraging it for transportation

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

What else is it going to take to designate them a terrorist org and bomb their poo poo worldwide?

Osechkin and gulagu.net still doing fantastic work btw

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Warbadger posted:

The vigorous sudden flames or pillars of fire aren't fuel, they're caused by propellant...Basically it's much easier to light up propellant than high explosives (this is after all what it's meant for) and unlike fuel (but more like gunpowder) once it burns, it burns quick and very hot.

You can even light it on fire and use it for cooking! (don't try this at home)

ESDK
Oct 10, 2007

Paracausal posted:

BBC recently did a good story about the ongoing Cyber War that erupted out of the invasion and the blurring between criminal and government sanctioned hacking.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX9emwKYemE

Australia's ABC investigative reporting program 4corners is also airing an episode about Russian hacking groups targeting countries that have supported Ukraine, much more focused on domestic incidents in Australia but still related to the Cyber front.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m6Ydx0TGMY

Similarly, the latest video by Perun focuses on hybrid warfare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUBTyAZg5OA

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Mederlock posted:

Probably aiming to impact logistics. Belgorod has an electric rail system, and this is just me pulling this outta my rear end but I wouldn't be surprised if the Russian military is leveraging it for transportation

Big transformers can be a bitch to replace too. They’re heavy, shock sensitive, and manufacturing capacity is limited worldwide.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I should clarify “heavy” heavy to me is over 50 or 60 metric tons. Some of the big transformers get into 350+.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Big transformers can be a bitch to replace too. They’re heavy, shock sensitive, and manufacturing capacity is limited worldwide.

3 ish years from the decision to buy a new one to putting it in service in the states currently. I know more Ukrainian power engineers than Russian so I'm guessing the Soviet Union made most of the big poo poo in Ukraine but that's speculation on my part.

I do know that there is a huge bottleneck in components for higher voltage equipment with only one or two suppliers worldwide for some things, also the quality control scales exponentially the higher the voltage class.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

https://twitter.com/maria_drutska/status/1647552198732128257
https://english.nv.ua/nation/when-will-ukraine-reclaim-crimea-other-occupied-lands-budanov-50318412.html
I know it's propaganda but I wish Budanov would be quiet about this stuff. It makes him look ridiculous

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 17, 2023

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Isn't he making a joke about how Putin thinks Ukraine is an artificial state?

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Moon Slayer posted:

He may be, but him claiming baseless that the war will end extremely soon and only saying "I know so and was right before" isn't convincing at all

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Antigravitas posted:

Improved interconnections are already planned: https://transport.ec.europa.eu/news...t-2022-07-27_en

However, you don't build comprehensive rail infrastructure over night, and rail cannot match the throughput of ships. Ukraine need access to world markets right now.

Integration of Ukraine into the single market is going to lead to some conflicts in the future. It produces a ton of grain, but EU producers are already producing plenty as well. Agricultural policy is a huge area of conflict within the EU, so… that's going to get spicier in the future.

The US/NATO buying Ukrainian grain and then shipping it to Africa on the cheap seems like a good way to counter the influence game Russia is playing in the region. But of course it's not that simple.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Moon Slayer posted:

He's mirroring that rhetoric, but it's not a joke. It's propaganda and pandering.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Willo567 posted:

He may be, but him claiming baseless that the war will end extremely soon and only saying "I know so and was right before" isn't convincing at all
Budanov saying seemingly ridiculous things as if they were facts with a straight face is kind of his "thing", I am not sure why interviewer expects spy chief to tell them the Truth or any details of it, previous ABC interview had him claiming that Putin is terminally ill etc.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

SpeedFreek posted:

I do know that there is a huge bottleneck in components for higher voltage equipment with only one or two suppliers worldwide for some things, also the quality control scales exponentially the higher the voltage class.

Yeah it’s one of the things bottlenecking a transition to renewables.

sube
Nov 7, 2022

Dwesa posted:

Budanov saying seemingly ridiculous things as if they were facts with a straight face is kind of his "thing", I am not sure why interviewer expects spy chief to tell them the Truth or any details of it, previous ABC interview had him claiming that Putin is terminally ill etc.

yes though he has a map at his office how russia should be divided between different countries, so on this topic it's not just him saying stuff

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

sube posted:

yes though he has a map at his office how russia should be divided between different countries, so on this topic it's not just him saying stuff

What the hell is this map? Looks like he's reassigning Manchuria to the far eastern Russian successor? Or is K the Ukrainian-language initial for China and he thinks they'll grab the Russian far east in this putative collapse? And Japan is supposed to conquer Sakhalin, I guess just because they had some colonies there in the old fascist days?

It kinda feels like still it's just him saying stuff, and also drawing stuff that's just as arbitrary.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Akratic Method posted:

What the hell is this map? Looks like he's reassigning Manchuria to the far eastern Russian successor? Or is K the Ukrainian-language initial for China and he thinks they'll grab the Russian far east in this putative collapse? And Japan is supposed to conquer Sakhalin, I guess just because they had some colonies there in the old fascist days?

It kinda feels like still it's just him saying stuff, and also drawing stuff that's just as arbitrary.

К means China. ЦАР is Central African Republic. The map is not entirely serious.

E: Asian makes more sense, I guess, lol.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 17, 2023

Keisari
May 24, 2011

sube posted:

Is the Kola peninsula and East Karelia etc assigned to Finland? If so, lmao.

sube
Nov 7, 2022

Keisari posted:

yeah.

Paladinus posted:

К means China. ЦАР is Central African Republic. The map is not entirely serious.

ЦАР he might mean Central Asian Republic, the darker meaning is Central African Republic as far-right Ukrainian nationalists often like comparing Russia and Donbass to African countries (Congo is often used and for Donbass common ones are e.g. донбабве (Donbabwe), Луганда (Luganda). However, it has RF control Moscow, so it might be for Central Asian Republic too, but it's all relatively incoherent nonsense mostly.

sube fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 17, 2023

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Keisari posted:

Yeah, there's also a FGR (Federal Republic of Germany) sphere in Kaliningrad/East Prussia and K is for Kitai/China. RF is Russian Federation (how gracious)and down south the Chechen Republic of Ichkeria https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chechen_Republic_of_Ichkeria

Oh, I missed that the Kuril Islands and Sakhalin are Japanese now.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 17, 2023

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

sube posted:

it's not just some drawing, he already partitioned Russia-shaped cake

https://twitter.com/Biz_Ukraine_Mag/status/1610688841408548885?lang=en

I think it's not supposed to be taken seriously

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 17, 2023

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Nenonen posted:

Yeah, there's also a FGR (Federal Republic of Germany) sphere in Kaliningrad/East Prussia and K is for Kitai/China. RF is Russian Federation (how gracious)and down south the Chechen Republic of Ichkeria https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chechen_Republic_of_Ichkeria

One Polish (minor) far-right group unironically got mad that he gave Kaliningrad to Germany, not Poland.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
36 turning 37 seems extremely young for a military intelligence chief. Thats what, about a captain or major level in most armies?

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Here's the video where Budanov talked about still having time for his far fetched prediction
https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1648049969784299521
Like is it really even impressive that he thought Russia would invade? A lot of people were worried that would happened

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Blut posted:

36 turning 37 seems extremely young for a military intelligence chief. Thats what, about a captain or major level in most armies?

First Euromaidan and then the Crimea thing discredited a lot of the older staff. Also Zelensky was just 41 when he got into the job, he probably communicates better with that sort of guy than with some former colleague of Putin.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Szarrukin posted:

One Polish (minor) far-right group unironically got mad that he gave Kaliningrad to Germany, not Poland.

We all know it really belongs to Czechia.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Blut posted:

Major or Lieutenant Colonel in the US military (NATO O-5 or O-6).

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Blut posted:

I’m 37, my year group for US Army promotions (2009) is probably coming up on LTC soon (if they haven’t already gotten there).

e: MAJ is O4, LTC is O5.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Is it better in some ways to have some younger people in charge? It seems like a lot of nations have a gerontocracy problem.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

WarpedLichen posted:

Is it better in some ways to have some younger people in charge? It seems like a lot of nations have a gerontocracy problem.

It cuts both ways. There are certain time-in-grade requirements to make rank on both the officer and enlisted side for the US, and there is also a concept of "developmental assignments" where you're doing some sort of training related to the kinds of assignments/positions you'd be expected to take in the future, but (hopefully) in a pseudo-teaching environment.

This all goes to hell in wartime, for everyone, for the obvious reasons. Earlier in the Ukraine war I saw a reference to a UA company commander who was only like 22 at most, when that would be an assignment given to you 6-8 years later in the US army circa 2010. There's a balance to strike between developing your leadership and getting people out the door/on the ground to fight, and obviously the second one is going to win if there's a conflict between those 2 ideas.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
There's also a huge meritocratic element to, y'know, fighting an actual war as opposed to a bureaucratic ladder system. Ukraine has been doing so since 2014, after a revolution, so a lot of chaff has been filtered out and a lot of gold nuggets found.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Morrow posted:

There's also a huge meritocratic element to, y'know, fighting an actual war as opposed to a bureaucratic ladder system. Ukraine has been doing so since 2014, after a revolution, so a lot of chaff has been filtered out and a lot of gold nuggets found.

So we need a revolution and a couple military invasions before people with skin in the game can lead us?

gently caress

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Cocaine Bear posted:

So we need a revolution and a couple military invasions before people with skin in the game can lead us?

gently caress

You need a serious existential crisis or a call to action that sparks people’s sense of duty.
Pearl Harbor for example. Lots of people from all walks to life volunteered.

In my opinion the most innocuous of humans seem to step up and become war heroes or exceptional soldiers. You’ll just never see it in a “peacetime” army because it’s a numbers game.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Also the best people go into fields with the most reward, so you have a lot of brilliant people working in finance and a lot of passionate people involved in immigration law. Meanwhile the army relies on career families for a big chunk of their officer corps. That dynamic all changes if there is some sort of existential threat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

WarpedLichen posted:

The situation in Ukraine is a little different than usual since, well, depending on the generation people literally grew up in a different country.