Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

skaboomizzy posted:

unemployment in FL maxed out at $250 a week and it's impossible to navigate the application process

oh i know i had to apply for my wife and she received $140 a week and it was a massive hassle to navigate (on purpose) and to get more you have a laundry list longer than a book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

skaboomizzy posted:

unemployment in FL maxed out at $250 a week and it's impossible to navigate the application process

workers pay into that too hahaha. it’s literally insurance

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

i filled that poo poo out and was ready to hit submit but didn't because i thought "one day they're gonna look into this.."

lol nope I am dumb as hell

gonna be kicking myself until the end of time that I didn't come up with a bullshit etsy storefront to take advantage of this

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Matthew Lesko was right. ALWAYS take the free government money.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-airlines-reject-lawmakers-request-refrain-share-buybacks-2022-10-04/

WASHINGTON, Oct 4 (Reuters) - A trade group representing major U.S. airlines rebuffed a request by 70 U.S. lawmakers to voluntarily extend a expired prohibition on stock buybacks that was a condition of U.S. government COVID-19 payroll assistance.

Wow, can't believe this didn't work.

Oh well, that's all the government can do.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Matthew Lesko was right. ALWAYS take the free government money.

I have to pay back $1,200 in PUA "overpayments" to the loving state of new york lol

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

webcams for christ posted:

I have to pay back $1,200 in PUA "overpayments" to the loving state of new york lol

Matthew Lesko was WRONG. NEVER take the free government money!

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

gonna be kicking myself until the end of time that I didn't come up with a bullshit etsy storefront to take advantage of this

I didn't even have to come up with any bullshit because I'm actually self-employed and I still didn't take it because I didn't lose money in 2020 and figured there'd be some kind of verification

lol I'm an idiot

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

HallelujahLee posted:

medicaid down here in fl has been privatized and has turned into garbage

I mean, yeah, Medicaid is state run so of course it's going to suck real bad in the lovely states

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Matthew Lesko was WRONG. NEVER take the free government money!

the truth is in the middle. always take the free government money, but only after reading Matthew Lesko’s helpful literature.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1647761738727854081?t=GGk49--G3dsgRrrjvBKrIw&s=19

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

this is a glorious visual.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

euphronius posted:

workers pay into that too hahaha. it’s literally insurance

no they don't, its paid for by employers. i don't believe any UI program in the US is funded by general taxation, its always employer funded. this is on purpose, to prevent benefit payments from rising.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Ammanas posted:

no they don't, its paid for by employers. i don't believe any UI program in the US is funded by general taxation, its always employer funded. this is on purpose, to prevent benefit payments from rising.

so do employers extract that value from their employees or do they conjure it from the Elemental Plane of Brands?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

silentsnack posted:

so do employers extract that value from their employees or do they conjure it from the Elemental Plane of Brands?

this will lead us down a pointless rabbit hole of passed on costs that libertarians loving love so shut the gently caress up

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Most employers I've ever had will include UI as a line item deduction on your paycheck so they can be like look how the government is screwing you and taking YOUR money

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

Paradoxish posted:

I didn't even have to come up with any bullshit because I'm actually self-employed and I still didn't take it because I didn't lose money in 2020 and figured there'd be some kind of verification

lol I'm an idiot

:same:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

SKULL.GIF posted:

Sounds like they're setting up pretext to end the sanctions before even a ceasefire is agreed upon. Dollar hegemony must be preserved at all costs.

https://twitter.com/HuXijin_GT/status/1647986303252963329

https://www.reuters.com/markets/us/yellen-says-us-banks-likely-pull-back-credit-cnn-interview-2023-04-15/

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Bar Ran Dun posted:

this is a glorious visual.

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord
the worst bet i ever made was doing freelance poo poo, and the second worst one was betting that the federal government would do clawbacks the second they could in that specific instance, solidarity with all my fellow stupid morons

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

the bitcoin of weed posted:

Most employers I've ever had will include UI as a line item deduction on your paycheck so they can be like look how the government is screwing you and taking YOUR money

i really doubt this is true but ok

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

lmao

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Here is video of the yellen interview.
https://twitter.com/philippilk/status/1647827608283803651?t=CsqcIBDLGiCMXXKQG1SHyw&s=19

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Malleum posted:

the worst bet i ever made was doing freelance poo poo, and the second worst one was betting that the federal government would do clawbacks the second they could in that specific instance, solidarity with all my fellow stupid morons

Yeah, I basically bet on PPP being more like government assistance than a direct handout to the wealthy. Assistance programs aggressively pursue real or imagined fraud; handouts to the wealthy are entirely consequence-free.

I was making money hand-over-fist in 2020 so my assumption was that I'd get in deep poo poo for even trying. lol at me

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
the search engine problem isn't unique to google, they're all broken now

search any news event at all and you'll find fewer unique links on google, bing, ddg, yandex, whatever than you'll find cnn articles on the same subject using CNN's own search

the search engines stop after a dozen pages or so and either just end flat out or more hilariously get stuck in a loop; bing once served me the exact same page of links as it had on page 12 through to page 100 before i got bored

if it doesn't show up on the first page you'll have more luck searching primary sources directly or hitting up a library

we unironically need webrings back

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Train workers in Stockholm, capital of Sweden are doing a 3 day wild cat strike this week. They object to the railway company reducing staff and replacing train conductors with cameras leaving the drivers alone on the trains responsible for both safety and driving the trains.

The Work posted:

Wild strike stops the commuter trains in Stockholm - train drivers protest against the stoppage of train attendants

The train conductors must return on board the commuter trains, demand the train drivers in Stockholm who went on a wild strike. Many drivers are dissatisfied with their own union SEKO.

"It's drat sad to have to strike. But when nobody listens to us, we have no choice," says Niklas Sjödin, train driver on the commuter trains in Stockholm.

"If it was about money, we wouldn't have been standing here. But it's about safety. We drivers can't keep an eye on what's happening in the train while we're driving," says colleague Sandra Jansson.

from The Work article: https://arbetet.se/2023/04/17/vild-strejk-stoppar-pendeltagen-i-stockholm-lokforare-protesterar-mot-stopp-av-tagvardar/

The Proletarian posted:

The strike is on - great support from the passengers

Around 80 percent of commuter train drivers in Stockholm went on strike on Monday morning. "This strike has broad support," says train driver Nils Westberg Ahlmark.

The locomotive drivers in the commuter traffic in Stockholm have had enough. Both the traffic company MTR and Stockholm's Local Traffic (SL) refuse to listen to rational arguments: they are determined to push through the lone crew on the trains.

Commuter train drivers are just as determined that the train attendants should remain.

"We stand up for the safety of ourselves and our passengers. The train conductors must return to security duty in the driver's cabin", says Nils Westberg Ahlmark, one of the drivers behind the movement "Don't touch my train conductor".

About 80 percent of the approximately 290 active train drivers in the commuter train service have joined the strike, which is to last for three days; from 03.00 on Monday morning until Thursday morning. The strike is a so-called wildcat strike, which is not sanctioned by the union.

"There is a lot of support behind this. Many support each other not only here today, but also in the workplace and on social media. Those who still drive are probationers who don't dare risk their jobs and union representatives who have to drive", says Nils Westberg Ahlmark to The Proletarian.

The travelers are also positive. When the Proletarian meets the strikers outside on Centralplan outside the Central Station on Vasagatan in Stockholm, many come forward and express their support. But there are also those who shake their heads.

In just a little more than a day, the strike fund, administered via the Confederation of Workers' Solidarity, has received just over half a million kroner.

"We have broad support", states Nils Westberg Ahlmark. And it feels like the public has had a pent-up need to voice their opinion about safety as well... so now that we've gone on a wildcat strike, people have hung on.

Since it became clear that the train drivers would go on wild strike, the transport company MTR has come up with threats of varying degrees: damages, dismissal, the labor court. The central Seko Union has distanced itself from the strike.

"We did not expect anything else. They follow their rule book and we who are on strike follow ours. If all those on strike were dismissed... then there would be no traffic at all" notes Nils Westberg Ahlmark.

"There is a certain process in this, and not much will happen".

Mainly three politicians are singled out as being responsible for the strike: they are the ones behind the MTR trying to push through the sole staffing and replace the train attendants with malfunctioning cameras. The decision was made by MTR in collaboration with the right-wing majority in Region Stockholm, previously supported by the Green Party, led by the then traffic regional council Kristoffer Tamsons (M), now vice chairman of SL.

It is also the current traffic regional councilor Anton Fendert from the Green Party who has consistently attended MTR's affairs and opposed the train drivers' and passengers' demands for safety. And that is Jens Sjöström, the Social Democrats' strongman in the region. In the election campaign, Sjöström appeared everywhere and promised to stop the process against the sole staffing of the trains, if Social Democrats gained power in the region. Once there, Sjöström broke his promise.

Now Tamsons, Fendert and Sjöström shine with their absence. None of them have dared to show themselves among the strikers outside Central Station:

"No, none of them have been here", says Nils Westberg Ahlmark. "But if they come down, we would be happy to have a dialogue with them".

The Proletarian article: https://proletaren.se/artikel/strejken-ar-igang-stort-stod-fran-resenarerna

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

atelier morgan posted:

the search engine problem isn't unique to google, they're all broken now

search any news event at all and you'll find fewer unique links on google, bing, ddg, yandex, whatever than you'll find cnn articles on the same subject using CNN's own search

the search engines stop after a dozen pages or so and either just end flat out or more hilariously get stuck in a loop; bing once served me the exact same page of links as it had on page 12 through to page 100 before i got bored

if it doesn't show up on the first page you'll have more luck searching primary sources directly or hitting up a library

we unironically need webrings back

this is some good irony, more AI/SEO content and search requires more human curated content and search

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Ammanas posted:

it's true in Alaska, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania, all 3 have state unemployment taxes that the employee pays

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Ammanas posted:

yer lucky im unemployed rn or I'd pull up a pay stub, it definitely happens

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

SKULL.GIF posted:

Sounds like they're setting up pretext to end the sanctions before even a ceasefire is agreed upon. Dollar hegemony must be preserved at all costs.

https://twitter.com/HuXijin_GT/status/1647986303252963329

I was gunna post this yesterday but I got lazy, I enjoyed this theory on dollar hegemony. https://www.moonofalabama.org/2023/04/how-china-is-breaking-the-colonial-effects-of-western-lending.html#more

a little too awkward to quote though. lol at america demanding poor countries erase china debt but not American/imf debt

god drat america sucks rear end. 11% interest rates on Ghana lol

quote:

Approximately $13 billion of Ghana’s external debt is held in the form of Eurobonds by major asset management corporations including BlackRock, Abrdn, and Amundi (UK) Limited. “Ghana’s lenders, particularly private lenders, lent at high-interest rates because of the supposed risk of lending to Ghana,” the open letter read.

“The interest rate on Ghana’s Eurobonds is between 7% and 11%. That risk has materialized… Given that they lent seeking high returns, it is only right that following these economic shocks, private lenders willingly accept losses and swiftly agree to significant debt cancellation for Ghana.

The case of Ghana shows that the IMF, over which the U.S. has a veto, will only lend fresh money if bilateral lenders like China, but not the 'multilateral' IMF or World Bank, nor private 'western' lenders, take haircuts

There should of course be a mechanism by which countries can restructure their debt and in which all lenders make similar concessions. However the IMF and others offer no such thing. They are only willing to give more money when a country makes political concessions over IMF prescribed austerity measures and uses the fresh money to pay private 'western' lenders.

China is now determined to end that scheme. China insists that the IMF, the World Bank and private lenders take a similar share of debt losses as it is willing to take:

Xaris has issued a correction as of 20:46 on Apr 17, 2023

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Ammanas posted:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Ammanas posted:

Why did you doubt it?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Hollywood writers just authorized a strike.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

never doubt the systems capacity for cruelty

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Mr Hootington posted:

like is finally after all this poo poo like 2 years ago?

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Why did you doubt it?

the goon brain is just compelled be obstinately wrong about the dumbest poo poo

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Femur posted:

like is finally after all this poo poo like 2 years ago?

https://twitter.com/LaurenKGurley/status/1648056269884870672?t=YMjlrl6Xbg-Oon9wpcCJIw&s=19

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Mr Hootington posted:

No! More reality shows!

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
I wonder if hollywood will be like "oh yeah we don't need writers now that AI exists"

I'm glad they're striking but I can't wait to see what kind of garbage gets poo poo out without them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1648060171170598936?s=20