Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

RCarr posted:

So I bought multiplicity and I can’t find either of my other 2 computers….

What am I supposed to do?

Ignore the last couple posts talking about VMs, not only are they definitely ban worthy it isn't what Multiplicity is used for.

Install multiplicity on all your machines, add your license code. During setup, it should ask you whether you want to set that computer up as primary or secondary. Set your main computer as primary, and other secondary, they should give you a name or IP address, and a code. You plug those into the primary computer's multiplicity grid, and arrange them as you want.

Yiggy posted:

If you have a strong enough PC you can run a virtual machine I am told. The one person I know that plays that way, it sounds like a pain in the rear end to me. But you can do it. P sure they use multiplicity or input director.

Re: cheap options one of my guildies got eq up and running on I think it’s a steam deck? Some of the cheapy NUC’s w/ celerons also work fine. Old computers in the closet? Check a family member for any hunk of junk collecting dust in their garage/closet? People joke you can run eq on a toaster/potato, and there is some truth there.

Edit: was told it’ll run fine in a surface pro. I have not tested to see if I can get it up and running on my kids Chromebook but I’m curious now.

Where you are posting 'virtual machine' you actually mean to say KVM, which is very very different than VM, but otherwise does allow you to use computers stashed away in a closet. It effectively allows you to use your primary computer's monitor keyboard & mouse to interact with the computer remotely. And because you're using individual computers for this, daybreak sees it as completely normal based on their truebox requirements for server connection. Chromebooks aren't real computers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
That’s why I like the manual button pressing. It seems so much simpler.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Yiggy posted:

Multiplicity is literally manually pushing buttons. You just slide your mouse cursor over to the next monitor and your keyboard and mouse control that PC. Then slide back to your main PC and it's back to normal.

It's awesome.

Only thing that could be easier is alt-tabbing to different clients on a non-truebox server.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

Yiggy posted:

I use Hotkeynet, its a great way to bind Alt+1 to comp 2 and Shift+1 to Comp 3. Its a tad old and no longer on the internet but you can find it on the internet archive. That way you can push buttons and change comps just by alt and shift. Use some Macros in game and don't bind things to hit more then one comp at a time and you wont break the EULA too :)

https://web.archive.org/web/20200208040329/http://www.hotkeynet.com/

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

RCarr posted:

So I bought multiplicity and I can’t find either of my other 2 computers….

What am I supposed to do?

Sorry, I phrased this foolishly.

I set up my primary PC and multiplicity couldn’t detect my other 2 computers. I did some googling and realized I had to set my network to private, then it worked.

Holy poo poo this is nice. I feel like an idiot for manually boxing before.

I have to look into Hotkeynet now!

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Hotkeynet and multiplicity are such a great pairing. Glad hkn still works after the owner had a fit about wow.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Yiggy posted:

If you have a strong enough PC you can run a virtual machine I am told. The one person I know that plays that way, it sounds like a pain in the rear end to me. But you can do it. P sure they use multiplicity or input director.

Re: cheap options one of my guildies got eq up and running on I think it’s a steam deck? Some of the cheapy NUC’s w/ celerons also work fine. Old computers in the closet? Check a family member for any hunk of junk collecting dust in their garage/closet? People joke you can run eq on a toaster/potato, and there is some truth there.

Edit: was told it’ll run fine in a surface pro. I have not tested to see if I can get it up and running on my kids Chromebook but I’m curious now.

it runs like poo poo on my chromebook via crossover

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Where can I download hotkeynet? It looks like it doesn’t exist anymore?

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

blatman posted:

it runs like poo poo on my chromebook via crossover

Good to know. I’m kind of always looking for the bare minimum that’ll get by and then watching for a bargain. What’s the crappiest hunk of junk that is still useful, etc. Sounds like Chromebook wouldn’t get past the usefulness threshold.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

RCarr posted:

PyRosflam posted:

I use Hotkeynet, its a great way to bind Alt+1 to comp 2 and Shift+1 to Comp 3. Its a tad old and no longer on the internet but you can find it on the internet archive.

https://web.archive.org/web/20200208040329/http://www.hotkeynet.com/

If this link doesn’t work, I can upload it to a google drive later.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Yiggy posted:

Good to know. I’m kind of always looking for the bare minimum that’ll get by and then watching for a bargain. What’s the crappiest hunk of junk that is still useful, etc. Sounds like Chromebook wouldn’t get past the usefulness threshold.

to give you some more data to work with: it runs like poo poo on the chromebook with 8gb of ram and i think a pentium processor, so like a mid range chromebook

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

RCarr posted:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/y3lsjnqss0dtu7l/AAAtWAkH0fIhansR0V6RYEEGa?dl=0

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Yiggy posted:

highly recommend keeping an eye on dell/hp refurb mini pcs on amazon or ebay, you can pick up i5s with 8-16GB RAM for like 75-125 and they'll work perfect. There's also refurb laptops that you can snag for slightly more that will also do the trick.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

They released the oakwynd faq. Highlights:

*No drop loot will automatically be heirloom.
*on legacy server rule sets, lockouts from AOCs will be for individual characters and not account wide.
*FTE will unlock if you use /yell if you need help
*mobs do not have to return home before unlocking, just be out of combat with a clear agro list and then short refractory period, but does not need to return to home.
*some encounters will not be FTE if it screws with a mechanic.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Character based lockouts and heirloom no drop loot is awesome.

I just went from "ehh, I'll probably play for a bit" to "This sounds awesome".

Malaria fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 17, 2023

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

People tripping on the FTE thing but the feel of the server to me is definitely low friction server for people that only want to maintain one account but would like a little protection against getting bored with your main and feeling sunk cost into a character you don’t love. People can work on their Swiss Army knife set of characters. Some people will still stick to one, but you’ll have some people on your raid roster that will be able to nimbly switch roles. Used to that was exclusively the domain of try hard boxers maintaining multiple accounts, but now a more casual player can play and experience a broader slice of the game than just one class.

It would appeal to a different player base than the last few TLPs have in my opinion, which is fine.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

The official EQ community cries about everything ever. They all bitched about Mischief when it came out too.

I think the new server sounds decent. It's cooler than Yelinak last year which was a total vanilla tlp.

I think it's cool the devs actively try new things.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

No Drop items being heirloom is pretty sweet..

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
I was sort of hoping they would up the maximum level character XP bonus to 25% per/200% max. maintaining 10 characters seems like a ton of work for double XP.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Yeah the legacy exp bonus means basically nothing to me. At most I’ll have one or two alts, and that’s assuming heirloom. I’ll never make use of that exp bonus in a meaningful way.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

BabelFish posted:

I was sort of hoping they would up the maximum level character XP bonus to 25% per/200% max. maintaining 10 characters seems like a ton of work for double XP.

It will be up until Omens/DoDh.

Not mentioned here was they’re also combining Omens and Dragons of Norrath into a single release window.

If someone’s been pretty diligent up though GoD of keeping their AAs high/near maxed, they should easily max them in Omens. Especially if DoN is coming out at the same time. DoDh is where easy XP really blows up and keeping multiple characters maxed is trivial. I think I had blown over 1000AA worth of glyphs by the time we got to the end of DoDh. I was using them on trash pulls during PoR because I had nothing better to do with the AA xp.

Year two will be the tough spot. That Luclin->Omens point will be very difficult to keep up with if you aren’t poopsocking. After Omens, it should be fairly trivial if you grind some xp outside of raid nights and take advantage of xp bonus weekends.

Snotty By Nature
Sep 11, 2007

Yiggy posted:

They released the oakwynd faq. Highlights:

*on legacy server rule sets, lockouts from AOCs will be for individual characters and not account wide.

Finally able to raid on alts :woop:

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Someone I know immediately took that the worst possible way: 7 alts of the same class, 7 days a week of raid prog with heirloom. God I’m so worried some poor collection of souls will attempt this.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

onesixtwo posted:

Someone I know immediately took that the worst possible way: 7 alts of the same class, 7 days a week of raid prog with heirloom. God I’m so worried some poor collection of souls will attempt this.

When PoTime drops you can bet your rear end someone will. I don’t know if a single guild will engage in this, but I can think of more than a couple people who absolutely would do this if they show up on the server.

Fully geared character account sales are going to be wild.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

So who here is gonna play on Oakwynd?

I'm gonna join the Dargons guild. I've been hanging in their discord for a few days, everyone seems super chill and the raid nights fit my schedule.

Gonna roll a 3 box of some sort to start. Not 100% sure what yet.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
I might just take this opportunity to build out a bunch of themed 6-box groups and focus on leveling them.

Just logged back into mischief last night and defiant gear is dropping? But only up to Intricate it seems? Is there anywhere that says which defiant starts dropping when on TLPs? My normal internet sources say nothing.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

I haven’t put effort into looking around yet, but any PST friendly hour guilds so far?

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Malaria posted:

So who here is gonna play on Oakwynd?

I'm gonna join the Dargons guild. I've been hanging in their discord for a few days, everyone seems super chill and the raid nights fit my schedule.

Gonna roll a 3 box of some sort to start. Not 100% sure what yet.

I’ve been watching but not committing to anything other than trying to have some launch fun on the server.

I appreciate dargons chill vibes but I’m not crazy about a random based loot system at least absent the details. Having run dkp for a guild I understand the reticence with book keeping but I have a hard time coming around to random being the best way to go. I join in on fun runs on weekends where they random all the loot and after you’ve had some bad runs of luck the motivation to keep attending really lags and regular attendance is super patchy. DKP is tedious but it has a way of incentivizing and rewarding consistency.

That said curious to see what the loot council aspect involves. I’m in a modified loot council guild now and am generally happy with it but it tracks heavily and depends on some robust automation and reporting.

I don’t feel like try harding in a progression guild but if all the bonus and casual stuff really makes
it easy to maintain a vacation toon I’d try and catch some of the good farming and tradeskilling.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
I thought defiant started dropping in TSS, but it might have been a little earlier. Either way, it’s worthless on mischief due to the ease of free trade raid loot.

I’m not committing to Oakwynd at this time. If friends pull the trigger on it, I likely will go, but they’re all spread thin between Mangler, Mischief, Yelinak, and Live right now. There’s rumblings of meeting back up for this next one, but I don’t want to be the catalyst for that if I don’t stick with it. I genuinely don’t enjoy most early expansions.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Defiant is TSS.

Our guild uses the opendkp site, super nice, I assume our GL just fronts the bill for it which is <$10 a month, does a ton of the book keeping on its' own and handles bidding and everything, super convenient. It does occasionally have issues but better than folks having to do it manually and spreadsheets and blah blah.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
Opendkp is Moncs system, right? The one he ported over from OGC’s in-house one? If so, it was super cool years ago when I used it, and I’m certain it’s only gotten better since.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

koreban posted:

Opendkp is Moncs system, right? The one he ported over from OGC’s in-house one? If so, it was super cool years ago when I used it, and I’m certain it’s only gotten better since.

No clue, just that we use it, haven't played a TLP (or EQ live) since... Combine so I'm not super familiar with the history from the past 15 years. It works well enough, way better than doing anything manually, but there's plenty of backend quirks and issues that probably weren't caught during previous TLPs. We're loading so much loot in at a time we've gotta be careful about adding too many items for bid at once, some issues when loading ticks due to how the server writes to the DB, and occasionally the site just eats poo poo (possibly due to peak utilization times) and becomes unusable where auctions will get frozen and people get kicked to the login etc.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

MF_James posted:

No clue, just that we use it, haven't played a TLP (or EQ live) since... Combine so I'm not super familiar with the history from the past 15 years. It works well enough, way better than doing anything manually, but there's plenty of backend quirks and issues that probably weren't caught during previous TLPs. We're loading so much loot in at a time we've gotta be careful about adding too many items for bid at once, some issues when loading ticks due to how the server writes to the DB, and occasionally the site just eats poo poo (possibly due to peak utilization times) and becomes unusable where auctions will get frozen and people get kicked to the login etc.

I think it’s a volume thing. Was using Opendkp when mischief started and once they hit LDoN particularly after they exploded the loot in the raid chests the website would freeze every time mischief hit peak raid hours.

OsteoMcB
Mar 19, 2023

Any recommendations on a class to box with a berserker? I've been playing for a little bit on Bristlebane to level 10 and I don't mind the current progression but I know I can pick up the pace somewhere.

Snotty By Nature
Sep 11, 2007
I think Shaman is the typical go-to box. They're just too useful with buffs, heals, slows, dots, etc.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

OsteoMcB posted:

Any recommendations on a class to box with a berserker? I've been playing for a little bit on Bristlebane to level 10 and I don't mind the current progression but I know I can pick up the pace somewhere.

Shaman is the support option. You could also make something like SK work. Burly, can pull and make the zerkers life easier, has great snap agro. You just DPS everything to death before it can kill your tank.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
I was somewhat interested in the new TLP but honestly it sounds like it's going to a miss from me at this point based on the news about it so far. I might still check it out so I broke out the old hotkeynet scripts I had created when playing back on mangler and setup a little 4-box crew on Mischief to get back into the swing of things over the weekend. Back when I did play on live I quit right around the time DoN released so I am actually somewhat excited to try the current and upcoming content on Mischief.

I ended up trading a krono I didn't know I still had on one of my accounts and twinked out my little group. So far it has been a ton of fun, got up to level 57 last night in Grieg's End, running SK/SHA/BRD/MAG and grouped with a couple of other people in the zone for a few hours. I would like to try raid content when I hit max level but I have doubts I'll be able to get into a guild doing any current expansion raids just because I will be so far behind on AA, maybe they'll be desperate for one of the classes I'm playing and would make an exception.

Speaking of AA,

koreban posted:

If someone’s been pretty diligent up though GoD of keeping their AAs high/near maxed, they should easily max them in Omens. Especially if DoN is coming out at the same time. DoDh is where easy XP really blows up and keeping multiple characters maxed is trivial. I think I had blown over 1000AA worth of glyphs by the time we got to the end of DoDh. I was using them on trash pulls during PoR because I had nothing better to do with the AA xp.

What makes DoDh an XP fountain and is it something I can take advantage of with my small group of bazaar / defiant geared boxes? I've been looking around for guides / info on good spots to level up post-60 and most things I find say to stick with old expansion zones.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
DoDh has the expedition systems that are tied to instances. Certain instances become loot and xp piñatas because they can be done so quickly, or have endless spawning mobs. A solo monk with a decent 2h can pull most of a particular Hive instance, gather them all up, and then speed focus/riposte disc them all down every 74 or so minutes (whenever those cooldowns come back up) for like 14-16AA per pull. A full box crew could chain run them for similar XP rates.

4 box crew like yours would be a little slower unless you brought along something like a druid and a wizard, in which case you could drat well do the same thing, but every 15 minutes.

DoN should have been when the out of combat regen goes in, and I think DoDh is the last XP bonus before TSS when the TLP goes to Live XP rates, so it’s real close to full XP.

I did over 500AA playing relatively hard over a bonus XP weekend during DoDh. I didn’t use group potions, though I might have popped some 25% pots on some of my lesser experienced alts to help get caught up. I believe it was 4th of July weekend, so 76% bonus, not even a full double XP.

poo poo’s wild.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

OOC regen got moved up to GoD (instead of TSS) a couple servers back. Mostly for the benefit of Vaniki but everyone gained from it. Also riposte swarming got nerfed hard a couple years back now so it’s much less of a thing. You can’t delete entire zones in a whirlwind/speed focus/DF disc window.

As for places to grind, velks is stupidly good pre 60 because it has like the highest possible ZEM. After you outgrow that just go to Splitpaw and get comfortable there for a long, long time. DoDh instance farms are really good for super high DPS groups that need an unending supply of mobs to burn through, but as a lower dps 4 box you’ll do better just carving out a chunk of splitpaw due to the high ZEM and low health/damage mobs. An exception is if you’re interested in farming some DoDh clickies, then the instances are a great way to mindlessly get AA/levels while farming for 0.1% drop rate poo poo. I got hundreds and hundreds of AA just getting the divine aura clicks on my 3 box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
I didn’t have a monk in my last box crew (SK/cle/dru/shm/ber/brd), but I did do entire zone pulls of elder longshadow and killed them all at once. If riposte got nerfed, either it was since July-ish 2021 when I stopped playing EQ, or it didn’t matter much to SK crews.

Fibblebrap 5 would be easier nonstop xp for a 4 box group.