Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

hallo spacedog posted:

But he's also a literal dead beat dad

Also canonically he doesn't know what kissing on the mouth is and thinks it's gross

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Spazzle posted:

The problem with the gay thesis of top gun is that half the run time is devoted to a heterosexual romance.

The problem is that the gay thesis comes from a time of deep bisexual erasure. If you view Mav as bisexual then it just becomes clear he has a thing for blonds, and golden hour lighting.

Dopilsya posted:

Renee O'Connor keeps coming up due to that, and I'll defend Gabriella here. As someone already pointed out, her social media is very supportive of LGBT+ and BLM and we don't have any reason to doubt the sincerity of that.

She's also been the marshal at a number of pride parades, officiated gay weddings and been outspoken. Lucy Lawless is better known for it but her profile as an actress is higher.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Squashy posted:

Well, I'm sorry I jumped to a poor conclusion on that, I do like her character. 🙂 Learning what Melissa Joan Hart was into made me sad, because she was totally a childhood crush
For what it's worth she's absolutely on the religious/conservative side of the spectrum, but does not appear to have slid into full Chuddom: when this came up a year or two ago her socials/podcast were (and still are) pretty free of what you'd expect based on your Kevin Sorbo/Dean Cain/James Woods of the world, and she's at least surface-level vocally in favor of gun control, LGBT rights, fighting climate change, etc.

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010

Squashy posted:

Well, I'm sorry I jumped to a poor conclusion on that, I do like her character. 🙂 Learning what Melissa Joan Hart was into made me sad, because she was totally a childhood crush

No problem! I only jumped to it because it came up earlier in either this thread or another one. Totally get where you're coming from, though, it's just an unusual industry and makes for some strange pairings.

Edge & Christian posted:

For what it's worth she's absolutely on the religious/conservative side of the spectrum, but does not appear to have slid into full Chuddom: when this came up a year or two ago her socials/podcast were (and still are) pretty free of what you'd expect based on your Kevin Sorbo/Dean Cain/James Woods of the world, and she's at least surface-level vocally in favor of gun control, LGBT rights, fighting climate change, etc.

Out of curiosity, what makes you say that? I don't know that I've seen anything that implies she's even leans conservative.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Maxwell Lord posted:

It came off a little sexist, "Oh, women and their emotions" and all.

oh sorry, i misunderstood. in that case, i totally agree

HOWEVER..

i was coincidentally watching some YT game guy review SPP like literally 2 or 3 days ago, and it seems the whole emotions thing isn't as sexist as it comes off. at least , within the context of the game, it seems EVERYONE in the mushroom kingdom is effected by some poo poo going on that's messing with their emotions. so peach's temperamental abilities aren't specific to her as a woman or anything like that.

after all this time i had no idea this was the case (or maybe i knew but then forgot. it HAS been 20 years afterall :corsair: )

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Dopilsya posted:

Out of curiosity, what makes you say that? I don't know that I've seen anything that implies she's even leans conservative.

I'm not going to post a lmgtfy link or anything, but genuinely just google "Melissa Joan Hart conservative" and you can find a bevy of articles quoting her talking about being conservative, about voting for Dole in 96, about how difficult it was being a conservative in Hollywood, supporting libertarian political candidates, and that her "vocal support of BLM" was a picture of Bill Robinson aka Bojangles and that she replaced it with a bible quote after getting pushback.

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010

Baron von Eevl posted:

I'm not going to post a lmgtfy link or anything, but genuinely just google "Melissa Joan Hart conservative" and you can find a bevy of articles quoting her talking about being conservative, about voting for Dole in 96, about how difficult it was being a conservative in Hollywood, supporting libertarian political candidates, and that her "vocal support of BLM" was a picture of Bill Robinson aka Bojangles and that she replaced it with a bible quote after getting pushback.

Whoops my bad, I thought the post was referring to Renee O'Connor. Yeah, I'm well aware of Melissa Joan Hart.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Beachcomber posted:

I'm not disagreeing with you about Top Gun, but we have a problem in this country/western culture where men can't really be friends with each other the way women can without it being perceived as 'gay'. I don't know what the solution is.

I was really struck by that while watching RRR, which depicts two men developing a very strong emotional attachment to one another that would be atypical here.

(Like not even "wouldn't be allowed to be depicted here" but as you say due to societal problems more like "wouldn't even occur to anyone involved to be this openly devoted")

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dopilsya posted:

She's got a bunch of "Support our troops!" posts on her Insta mixed in among the BLM and LGBTQ+ posts, that's about all I can find.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

She's got a bunch of "Support our troops!" posts on her Insta mixed in among the BLM and LGBTQ+ posts, that's about all I can find.

There’s got to be more somewhere. Have you checked ALL of her sites? Keep looking.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

oldpainless posted:

There’s got to be more somewhere. Have you checked ALL of her sites? Keep looking.

More like oldrelentless

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Melissa Joan Hart starred in God's Not Dead 2, and I don't know how you could do worse than the first one, but I figure anyone who acts in that is either a true believer or desperate for money.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I'm pretty sure "desperate for money" is most actors.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Armin Shimerman was big in the Hollywood unions and was in the first Atlas Shrugged film. Sometimes a job is a job.

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010

bobjr posted:

Melissa Joan Hart starred in God's Not Dead 2, and I don't know how you could do worse than the first one, but I figure anyone who acts in that is either a true believer or desperate for money.

TBF maybe God was on life support and needed someone to keep doing wellness checks on him.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

And what's better for that than a Hart monitor?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Brawnfire posted:

And what's better for that than a Hart monitor?

:downsrim:

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Armin Shimerman was big in the Hollywood unions and was in the first Atlas Shrugged film. Sometimes a job is a job.

To be fair, you know Atlas Shrugged would be Quark’s jam.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Rom: It sounds great, brother, but uhhh... how are you going to invent a train with unlimited running power?

Quark: that's up to you, dear brother.

Rom: uhhhhh, Quark, I'm flattered, but I'm just a technician, not a genius--

Quark: you're not inventing anything, doofus. You're the unlimited running power. Get in the treadmill.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Didn't Nicholas Cage play in a Pureflicks movie to help pay off his castle? I want to assume some of them just did it for the money.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Blue Moonlight posted:

To be fair, you know Atlas Shrugged would be Quark’s jam.

It’s probably not a great time to be a jewish person on that set, honestly.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It also had Taylor Schilling who would get more famous for Orange Is the New Black, one of the most lib shows of all time.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rudoku posted:

Didn't Nicholas Cage play in a Pureflicks movie to help pay off his castle? I want to assume some of them just did it for the money.

Dunno about Pureflicks but he was in Left Behind

(The 2014 one, not the 2000 one with Kirk Cameron)

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Rudoku posted:

We all know the Michael Cain quote about whichever awful Jaws sequel he was in.

we should also add, sometimes people love to work. It's why Sam Jackson is in like everything too.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
One time Kate Mulgrew (Captain Janeway from Star Trek Voyager) narrated a space documentary and it turned out she and most of the scientists who'd appeared in it had been misled by the producers and it was actually a pro-flat-earth documentary

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Principle

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Especially funny since he was also in BioShock.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

WaywardWoodwose posted:

Hell, when i was a kid people would tease little boys for liking girls. I remember that being a thing when i was a kid, like four or five, if i played with a girl my aunts or older sister would be unrelenting, making fun of me, trying to force us to kiss for pictures that the would pull out later to embarrass me with, real weird poo poo, and it felt pretty common. I always think of that whenever someone tells a story about a little boy hitting a girl and adults playing it off as "it's a love tap, he likes her!". I just don't get it, we connected affection to humiliation for months now he lashes out? whats up with that?

I always thought this phenomenon - calling little boys who play/are friends with girls "gay" came about because - the boy wasn't playing sports, or cowboys, or any other traditionally masculine thing, but instead was doing girly things. Therefore he must be a homosexual. To be a real straight man he must exclusively hang out with other men and do manly things together, sometimes alone with them behind closed doors. Now that's hetero!

Girls playing with cars, or roughhousing with the boys got the same treatment.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

BrigadierSensible posted:

I always thought this phenomenon - calling little boys who play/are friends with girls "gay" came about because - the boy wasn't playing sports, or cowboys, or any other traditionally masculine thing, but instead was doing girly things. Therefore he must be a homosexual. To be a real straight man he must exclusively hang out with other men and do manly things together, sometimes alone with them behind closed doors. Now that's hetero!

I always felt so loving bad about the way I treated my childhood best friend. I knew her since I was 4; she lived across the street from me, was a year older, and we did everything together. Then at some point it just was so uncool and weird to hang out with girls that I felt I had to end our friendship.

I think we're probably talking about two different age ranges, but anyway, anecdotally, I regret this and I suspect other goons have maybe had similar experiences.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

credburn posted:

I always felt so loving bad about the way I treated my childhood best friend. I knew her since I was 4; she lived across the street from me, was a year older, and we did everything together. Then at some point it just was so uncool and weird to hang out with girls that I felt I had to end our friendship.

I think we're probably talking about two different age ranges, but anyway, anecdotally, I regret this and I suspect other goons have maybe had similar experiences.

I had something like that happen to me. When I was like, somewhere between 5 and 9 almost all my friends were girls. Any time I went somewhere new I made friends with mostly girls. At some point my older cousin (by five years) and his friends (entirely guys) made fun of me for it and I ended up drifting away from that pattern. It very seriously stunted my social development but by the time I was 20 I sorta figured things out again and now most of my friends are queer femmes and non-binary people so it's all good. It's wild to consider how different my life might've turned out if I hadn't spent 10 of my developmental years being insanely weird around girls

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

wasn't playing sports, or cowboys,

lol

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Kit Walker posted:

I had something like that happen to me. When I was like, somewhere between 5 and 9 almost all my friends were girls. Any time I went somewhere new I made friends with mostly girls. At some point my older cousin (by five years) and his friends (entirely guys) made fun of me for it and I ended up drifting away from that pattern. It very seriously stunted my social development but by the time I was 20 I sorta figured things out again and now most of my friends are queer femmes and non-binary people so it's all good. It's wild to consider how different my life might've turned out if I hadn't spent 10 of my developmental years being insanely weird around girls

Huh! At this point of my age (38) I can't think of anyone I'm close to who isn't LGBT+ and the one straight guy I know feels weirdly apologetic about being straight. A friend of mine says I'm the only male friend she's had know who hasn't since transitioned. An old pal used to tell me "water finds its level" and I guess that turned out to be really accurate.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

credburn posted:

Huh! At this point of my age (38) I can't think of anyone I'm close to who isn't LGBT+ and the one straight guy I know feels weirdly apologetic about being straight. A friend of mine says I'm the only male friend she's had know who hasn't since transitioned. An old pal used to tell me "water finds its level" and I guess that turned out to be really accurate.

drat near everyone in my online circles is somewhere on the LGBT+ spectrum. Then again, I'm neurodivergent, and I get the feeling there's a common social language of people who are just looking to take a break from arbitrary insane games of social bullshit.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

I'm not so much talking about calling a child gay, more like when someone sees a boy and girl together and they start doing that "oh is SHEEE your GIIIIRRRRLLL FRIEND! KISS HER. I SAW YOU TALKING TO HER! YOU LOVE HER!" poo poo.
I didn't understand what was wrong about playing with another kid, but I did know I was being teased and that I was supposed to feel bad about it maybe? That poo poo was so severe and omnipresent when I was a child that as an adult just I stopped introducing partners to my mother. But that was also because she would take any information she got and spin it into these wild scenarios then spread that around very matter of factly.

That's another weird thing, people second guessing my emotions, or making up my feelings and motivations whole cloth, because men are so out of touch with their emotions, but women are so empathetic.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

WaywardWoodwose posted:

I'm not so much talking about calling a child gay, more like when someone sees a boy and girl together and they start doing that "oh is SHEEE your GIIIIRRRRLLL FRIEND! KISS HER. I SAW YOU TALKING TO HER! YOU LOVE HER!" poo poo.
I didn't understand what was wrong about playing with another kid, but I did know I was being teased and that I was supposed to feel bad about it maybe? That poo poo was so severe and omnipresent when I was a child that as an adult just I stopped introducing partners to my mother. But that was also because she would take any information she got and spin it into these wild scenarios then spread that around very matter of factly.

That's another weird thing, people second guessing my emotions, or making up my feelings and motivations whole cloth, because men are so out of touch with their emotions, but women are so empathetic.

Yeah my family did this poo poo too, now I make an effort not to tease kids.

Lots of people do stuff like that, and I don't think they liked it when they were kids either. Nobody liked when relatives commented on how tall they were getting and their mustaches coming in, etc etc, but then they say the same poo poo when they get the chance. It's like they think they have to say it because that's just what people say to fill the air, or your classic crab bucket mentality that they had to deal with it so now they are going to pass it on. They could just shut the gently caress up instead.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

WaywardWoodwose posted:

When I was like 7 years old, there was a girl whose parents were friends with my parents so we ended up hanging out a lot - like you do when you're 7 and you keep ending up at each others' houses. So we became friends and started asking to hang out even when our parents weren't doing some sort of adult thing. Anyway, after about a year of that they started being really weird every time we'd like play legos or nintendo or whatever and made it into this big thing to the point where we just stopped wanting to hang out with each other. We interacted some through junior high and high school and there was always kind of an awkward 'does this person like me?' energy to it because of that and it really made what was a random, fun childhood friendship into something weird and awkward especially considering our age at the time.

So yeah, the 90's were a really strange time to be a kid.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm pretty sure "desperate for money" is most actors.

There is a Michael Caine quote that is useful anytime someone asks why an actor did a film, ''I have never seen the film, but by all accounts it was terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific.' He is of course referring to Jaws The Revenge.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

WaywardWoodwose posted:

I feel the big theme is adults treating children as dolls or actors for their entertainment rather than people with emotions, thoughts and memories.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

My mom was once complaining about how my grandmother still brought up poo poo she did as a teen/young adult that was embarrassing and that I should tell her not to do that if she starts it.

So I immediately said she should stop bringing up that I played with fire as a teenager and she just kind of looked at me like it was a shock I didn't enjoy having her remind me of embarrassing dumb poo poo constantly

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
It's not just with kids, I have friends who insist that my cats are not just brothers but also gay lovers.

Because they lick each other's assholes. Because they are cats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

Sobatchja Morda posted:

It's not just with kids, I have friends who insist that my cats are not just brothers but also gay lovers.

Because they lick each other's assholes. Because they are cats.

I remember at one point when I was a kid one of my two female dogs started humping the other as a dominance display and my dad yelled at her for being gay. I think that was honestly the first time I realized how unreasonable my dad's homophobia was.