Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Goddamn is that ever one rock hard erection jutting towards the heavens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Baddog posted:

It's completely disorienting and he's probably not used to being dependent and treated like a child, yep. And it's causing all this marital strife, he's having a meltdown. Not being able to understand what's going on. I mean, try to figure out if he's actually being abused.... But man, doesn't sound like it. He just was not ready at all, hah!

You have clearly never been in a situation where you've seen a friend's partner leave with the kids out of their home country because they wanted to divorce and keep the kids wrapped in diplomatic tape.

"Hah!" Indeed.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Odddzy posted:

You have clearly never been in a situation where you've seen a friend's partner leave with the kids out of their home country because they wanted to divorce and keep the kids wrapped in diplomatic tape.

"Hah!" Indeed.

Uhh, did you finish reading the whole thing yet?

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I've gotten to the point where you've said it's probably nothing while clearly never having lived or seen someone go through it

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

I, a stranger, have determined that you have not experienced a totally different situation.

You have been owned!

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
The flippant advice is the clue op.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

kntfkr posted:

Posted this in my home thread but it probably bears posting here. I went to Bai Long with the family on saturday.

It was really dope except for the lines which were probably 10% as bad as it could get and the loving old people that will just come up to rub my son's hair and take pictures of/with him. God knows what's on your hands. It was cute the first time but it's really starting to grate. People recognize him from strangers' tik-tok videos in the small city we're in and it's a bizarre loving feeling that he thankfully doesn't understand and barely notices.

Zhangjiajie right? Man, I'm jealous, when I was there it was so foggy, couldn't really see much. Your pictures are amazing.

Did you do the hike up? It was brutal in that heat/humidity, I wasn't ready for that.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

Rabelais D posted:

Anyone know why the "fast" train from Shenzhen to Kunming went from about seven hours to eight and a half? I swear a lot of the G and D trains seem to be running slower for some reason. Kunming to Lijiang used to be three hours, it's four now!

In the west we lower speeds, especially on bends, due to defects, or sometimes due to weather that can alter track geometry

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Atopian posted:

Simplest guesses would be track capacity enforcing delays or safety/tolerance changes enforcing lower maximum speeds, but no particular hard insight to offer.

Yeah, I haven't seen any info but if the trains are actually slowing down it's likely that the tracks are in such poor condition they can't safely travel at speed. If it's delays it's running too many trains.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Odddzy posted:

I've gotten to the point where you've said it's probably nothing while clearly never having lived or seen someone go through it

Kinda just basic thread etiquette to catch up on the topic before spouting off.

I've been on many long trips to China with my wife and kid. It's very stressful if you are really immersed in it, with the inlaws and the poor infrastructure and everything. Not on a tour group, not staying at five star hotels. Many people lose their poo poo a bit, at least after awhile there. Especially if they are used to usually being in control. I like to think I'm 50/50 with my wife, but I still hit a lot of "what the gently caress is going on, this is not ok, talk to me" situations. The old chinese threads are full of people sharing these stories.

So sure, I felt pretty confident that it was most likely just a meltdown. And barring actual abuse (which I asked about), this guy should not have been encouraged to try to grab the kids away from the mom. And attempt to flee the country. Especially since he was apparently incapable of even figuring out where the gently caress he was.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Baddog posted:

Kinda just basic thread etiquette to catch up on the topic before spouting off.

I've been on many long trips to China with my wife and kid. It's very stressful if you are really immersed in it, with the inlaws and the poor infrastructure and everything. Not on a tour group, not staying at five star hotels. Many people lose their poo poo a bit, at least after awhile there. Especially if they are used to usually being in control. I like to think I'm 50/50 with my wife, but I still hit a lot of "what the gently caress is going on, this is not ok, talk to me" situations. The old chinese threads are full of people sharing these stories.

So sure, I felt pretty confident that it was most likely just a meltdown. And barring actual abuse (which I asked about), this guy should not have been encouraged to try to grab the kids away from the mom. And attempt to flee the country. Especially since he was apparently incapable of even figuring out where the gently caress he was.

Did I miss something where they said it was mad up or did you miss the part where she is keeping control of all money and documents and also shouting about why is he there, he should have left before she woke up, throng hires Walter out the window, etc?

Baddog
May 12, 2001

therobit posted:

Did I miss something where they said it was mad up or did you miss the part where she is keeping control of all money and documents and also shouting about why is he there, he should have left before she woke up, throng hires Walter out the window, etc?

Baddog posted:

btw, a lot of the stuff we've been told here is just kinda normal. Of course he has no cash, you don't use cash at all anymore, its all digital currency. You have to have your phone linked to a chinese bank account. When we visit, my wife has the official wechat phone with all the chinese apps that we need, and I'm just on my vpn english phone (with the essentials - forums access and a map). She also always takes the passports and whatnot and locks them up in the inlaw's safe, since they are important documents. The internet is spotty in some parts of changsha (and he's apparently way out in the sticks), so she's not *necessarily* "sabotaging his connection". I used to go to the coffee house to get work done. About the only thing that doesn't sound right to me is trying to throw his wallet and keys out the window. Although if he's been bitching up a storm about the conditions, when she's trying to visit her family who she hasn't seen in forever....

He didn't say anything about them always turning the hot water off when he's trying to take a shower. I get that one a lot!

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
doing a full proper accounting, ive seen it 7 times and this is the second time where it didnt end in no-recourse-for-the-white-guy taking the kid

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

kntfkr posted:

One more picture.

neat rocks dude

did you find the monkey king??

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I have a name, you know.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Baddog posted:

Zhangjiajie right? Man, I'm jealous, when I was there it was so foggy, couldn't really see much. Your pictures are amazing.

Did you do the hike up? It was brutal in that heat/humidity, I wasn't ready for that.

Yup, thanks. We took the gigantic gently caress-off elevator up to the top and then hiked around 2 klicks on the stairs/walkways. No small feat with a four year old in tow. My wife saw a guy drop his phone into the abyss lol. I reckon we were quite lucky with the weather. It was sticky but not too hot and very clear.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Booty Pageant posted:

neat rocks dude

did you find the monkey king??

just the queen, #longnipplecrew

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
You definitely got the best of Zhangjiajie.
I had to hang around for most of a week to get a halfway decent view.

Fortunately I was in my low-rent wandering around phase at the time, so no big problem.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

kntfkr posted:

My wife saw a guy drop his phone into the abyss lol.

Lol

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
i bet the bottom of those cliffs looks like a coin pool but of phones and cameras instead

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

bob dobbs is dead posted:

doing a full proper accounting, ive seen it 7 times and this is the second time where it didnt end in no-recourse-for-the-white-guy taking the kid

Even more impressively, my brother seems to have actually learned to show affection and display positive emotions in public settings or even surrounded by his siblings and parents. Something we have never seen him do ever before.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

SerthVarnee posted:

Even more impressively, my brother seems to have actually learned to show affection and display positive emotions in public settings or even surrounded by his siblings and parents. Something we have never seen him do ever before.

Uhh, spoilers. That dude is still on act 1 of the saga.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Skrill.exe posted:

Uhh, spoilers. That dude is still on act 1 of the saga.

i could believe it i guess

just enjoy your bro bein cool for now. nothing you can do except maybe suggestin singapore

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

SerthVarnee posted:

They've turned him into a Manchurian Candidate.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
China's Ambassador to France tried to Wolf Warrior it up talking about how former Soviet states don't really have sovereignty and now there's an international outcry and lots of funny backpedaling

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
New dystopian nightmare incoming

https://i.imgur.com/g5Ym6Vk.mp4

loving "brain-wave trackers" because that's a thing which really exists and works flawlessly.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Megillah Gorilla posted:

loving "brain-wave trackers" because that's a thing which really exists and works flawlessly.

I remember being at a trade convention for those things, the various companies who make them desperately trying to figure out what they could use them for. Mostly it was "uh... you could meditate with it I guess?"

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
Worker 233465 You are not using 100% of your brainpower for your job. You will be docked 20% pay for 1 hour for daydreaming.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Now we'll see if those filthy Uighurs have any disharmonious thoughts about Dear Leader Xi.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Megillah Gorilla posted:

https://i.imgur.com/g5Ym6Vk.mp4

Let's punish the neurodiverse for the terrible sin of having been born!

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Fearless posted:

Let's punish the neurodiverse for the terrible sin of having been born no sexy purpose for president poo!

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Must catch one "causing quarrels" malcontent per quarter pour encourager les autres

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
we've all heard of rearranging deck chairs on the titanic but that monstrosity looks more like bringing out new umbrellas for said deck chairs while you're at it

i ran into a few of my friends back from my china days a couple weeks ago and i was struck by how similar their attitudes were with this thread. we used to have hours of fun just joking around about the dysfunction of china but now all of our jokes from yesteryear are becoming real things and it's just not funny anymore. citizens being told they can't withdraw their money for the sake of the country because clearly communism means everyone has their money stolen to prop up banks, huge scars from the covid lockdowns causing tons of psychological disturbances that neither bosses nor government officials care about, blatant repetition of the planned economy policies that killed millions upon millions until deng Said The Thing...list goes on. and it always gets longer. lest we forget, we're still in active genocide mode with the uighurs. as much as i've lived to see the fall of the CCP, i really have never wanted to see people die for it. but man, nothing any of us are seeing points to anything but lots of people dying as China just sort of willingly surrenders its place in the world before completing the whole "make a real economic niche for yourself" part of the economic slingshot they were on. the only questions at this point are how and how many.

put simply, the most popular betting pool results are currently on "mostly by starvation" and "a lot"

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 08:31 on May 3, 2023

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
I mean, the green revolution counts for a lot. While they may be hosed in the head, famine is a long way off.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
China being on the brink of famine was the talk of my polisci department back in like 2007-2008. The arguments are probably not even all that different to what they are today:

1) Dustbowl and climate change
2) They overuse fertilizer and don't rotate fields
3) Labor drain to cities and factories since who the gently caress wants to be a farmer in 20XX.

Now, any of these probably could come true, but none of them have in the 15 years since I graduated.

Interestingly, the other major talking point was "the next plague comes from China" and that ended up being on the nose, but not exactly because of the argument put forward.

The going theory was that China abuses antibiotics. All of Asia does really: if you've ever gone to a doctor for a cold, you've received a dozen satchels of antibiotic pills. However, the added wrinkle was that China does it with animals too, so between human and animal antibiotic use, a super bug was inevitable, and with close human contact, an animal super bug would easily make the jump and spread from there.

COVID is a virus, so it doesn't quite match the prediction, but other elements of it fit, such as the origin being zoonotic.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they are a huge net importer of food now, so it would have been famine if they didnt become rich

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Atlas Hugged posted:

China being on the brink of famine was the talk of my polisci department back in like 2007-2008. The arguments are probably not even all that different to what they are today:

1) Dustbowl and climate change
2) They overuse fertilizer and don't rotate fields
3) Labor drain to cities and factories since who the gently caress wants to be a farmer in 20XX.

Now, any of these probably could come true, but none of them have in the 15 years since I graduated.

Interestingly, the other major talking point was "the next plague comes from China" and that ended up being on the nose, but not exactly because of the argument put forward.

The going theory was that China abuses antibiotics. All of Asia does really: if you've ever gone to a doctor for a cold, you've received a dozen satchels of antibiotic pills. However, the added wrinkle was that China does it with animals too, so between human and animal antibiotic use, a super bug was inevitable, and with close human contact, an animal super bug would easily make the jump and spread from there.

COVID is a virus, so it doesn't quite match the prediction, but other elements of it fit, such as the origin being zoonotic.

Every book/article about it that I've read has stated that the next (well, currently the last) plague will come from China for exactly the reasons that it did, and separately that the antibiotics abuse is what'll cause us all to die real soon.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

bob dobbs is dead posted:

they are a huge net importer of food now, so it would have been famine if they didnt become rich

what’s the current data on this? I’d read they managed to state subsidy hard enough to become a net exporter, but that was pre-covid and i’m curious if there’s been an update

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
95% self sufficient on plain grain, imports huge amounts of everything else basically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

hypnophant posted:

what’s the current data on this? I’d read they managed to state subsidy hard enough to become a net exporter, but that was pre-covid and i’m curious if there’s been an update

https://www.scmp.com/economy/china-economy/article/3111623/china-food-security-hows-it-going-and-whys-it-important

Net importer, but net exporter of rice.