Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Bakshi’s son Eddy actually teaches animation at ASU, he apparently shows his dad all his favorite student animations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I'm just happy Lackadaisy finished their pilot. I 'm so happy for them I know this has been a long time coming

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I really like animation backgrounds too. Loved seeing all the Adventure Time ones on the official crew tumblr back in the day.

Digman! episode 2 was really funny. Show’s good as hell

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Dawgstar posted:

Lackadaisy getting praise from some pretty cool sources.

https://twitter.com/ralphbakshi/status/1641637817523613698

I am very happy that it’s getting a lot of praise and while it has some issues, it’s definitely a pilot that’s worth a pick up.

Macaluso posted:

It never gets enough praise but I am constantly in awe at how good a lot of modern cartoon backgrounds look. Lackadaisy backgrounds looked incredible, Helluva Boss has gorgeous background, Rick and Morty has extremely detailed backgrounds that look amazing, Steven Universe had these beautiful painterly backgrounds, etc. The people that do the backgrounds of animated shows do not get enough credit

Yeah, I think background art is one of those things that should be appreciated way more because when it’s amazing, it’s amazing.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I was critical of Lackadaisy earlier but I do think it has a lot of promise. Part of the “problem” is that is has enormous shoes to fill art-wise— Tracy Butler might be glacial at putting out new pages but that’s because look at them, they’re gorgeously detailed. It’s impossible to get that level of production outside of real high-end stuff, but there’s still that nagging little part of my brain that wants to compare those apples and oranges.

Backgrounds do be good, though.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Bussamove posted:

I was critical of Lackadaisy earlier but I do think it has a lot of promise. Part of the “problem” is that is has enormous shoes to fill art-wise— Tracy Butler might be glacial at putting out new pages but that’s because look at them, they’re gorgeously detailed. It’s impossible to get that level of production outside of real high-end stuff, but there’s still that nagging little part of my brain that wants to compare those apples and oranges.

Backgrounds do be good, though.

yeah, id genuinly love to see more someday. maybe they will get lucky and get picked up by a24 or some other company.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Yeah I feel like that's a problem so much of the time when I see manga I like getting adapted into anime. So many details of the what makes the style pretty can be lost. Still drawings conveying action can sometimes write checks that the animators can't cash with real action.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

Yeah I feel like that's a problem so much of the time when I see manga I like getting adapted into anime. So many details of the what makes the style pretty can be lost. Still drawings conveying action can sometimes write checks that the animators can't cash with real action.

Yeah, it’s the same feeling I had watching the One Punch Man anime adaptation— it was good and very pretty in it’s own right, but there’s no matching the amount of energy Yusuke Murata can cram into a single panel.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I just absolutely hate the visuals of Royal Crackers. The designs are boring and look like the standard "it's adult animation because it looks like a kid drew it in his homework" model, and they are not even well animated by puppet standards. If the designs are supposed to look bad and like anyone can draw them with no effort, why bother making it a puppet animation which exists mostly because of fears of finding animators who can stay on model.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I watched the first episode and thought the humor was pretty inconsistent. The lawyer rampaging through his office was funny, the extremely long fall was not.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah, if I have one hard critique of the show it's that they seem to love the Family Guy "Just draw a normal thing out for as long as possible because that's funny" like flipping a light switch for a while. Otherwise, I'm still enjoying it. Darby the lawyer has stayed pretty funny and I'm enjoying how weird they're getting.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

https://twitter.com/chrizmillr/status/1646899111386562560

neat

Stuffguyman
Jun 3, 2007
Yeah I'm liking Royal Crackers so far. I like that it's funny and has jokes, which is real refreshing for anything greenlight by adult swim lately.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Going to cross my fingers that Teenage Euthanasia's second season manages to do something. It had its moments and a really neat setting but they just kept doing the worst loving plots and setups.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Going to cross my fingers that Teenage Euthanasia's second season manages to do something. It had its moments and a really neat setting but they just kept doing the worst loving plots and setups.

Yeah, the first season did not feel like something that deserved a second season.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Of the new Fox shows, Housebroken has been pretty good. Glad it got a 2nd season.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Does anybody know if Digman is on a streaming site? Its not on HBOMax at least. I finally watched an episode and was really surprised at how good it was.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

limp_cheese posted:

Does anybody know if Digman is on a streaming site? Its not on HBOMax at least. I finally watched an episode and was really surprised at how good it was.

Which season? All of Ghost Game is up on Crunchyroll right now if that's what you're asking about.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

They didn't type Digimon (I made the same mistake when I saw the post)

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

FireWorksWell posted:

They didn't type Digimon (I made the same mistake when I saw the post)

Oh! Okay I see it now.

You can get it on Amazon Prime if you buy it, but other than that no I don't think it's streaming anywhere legally right now.

Edit:

Wait, no, it's on the comedy central website: https://www.cc.com/shows/digman

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Yeah, the first season did not feel like something that deserved a second season.

There is a good idea and a very good setting, but boy did they just write the worst poo poo for it. Also an even better voice cast than I thought now that I'm checking. Such a waste.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

There is a good idea and a very good setting, but boy did they just write the worst poo poo for it. Also an even better voice cast than I thought now that I'm checking. Such a waste.

I feel the same way. When I heard about the premise I thought it sounded like something they could do a lot of cool stuff with, but every single plot they wrote was so bad and they kept forgetting to put jokes in.

Maybe they'll be able to turn things around in the second season, but someone at adult swim must have more faith in that show than I do because I would not have given them that chance.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

limp_cheese posted:

If it's a Comedy Central show, it's actually more likely to end up on Paramount+ than HBO Max. South Park is just a weird exception.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Slightly Absurd posted:

I've always been really impressed by animation backgrounds. Often times they're just gorgeous paintings or drawings that only stay on the screen for like two seconds at most and then disappear, which always seemed like a bit of a shame to me.

Yeah anime backgrounds especially are nuts.

Like imagine painting this and it goes by in a few seconds

Though apparently being a background painter for anime pays better than being an animator. So if you like painting and want to work in animation it can be sorta worth it. I mean, everyone who works in anime is poor but if you're a BG painter at least you won't be dirt poor.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Oh! Okay I see it now.

You can get it on Amazon Prime if you buy it, but other than that no I don't think it's streaming anywhere legally right now.

Edit:

Wait, no, it's on the comedy central website: https://www.cc.com/shows/digman

Awesome, thank you!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Ccs posted:

Though apparently being a background painter for anime pays better than being an animator. So if you like painting and want to work in animation it can be sorta worth it. I mean, everyone who works in anime is poor but if you're a BG painter at least you won't be dirt poor.

Background artist being a separate person has me wondering, do the backgrounds come before or after the animations?

I never really thought of it because for the most part everything is so cohesive now. Like I never see anything like books sticking out in a bookshelf because a character is gonna interact with it anymore.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

Background artist being a separate person has me wondering, do the backgrounds come before or after the animations?

I never really thought of it because for the most part everything is so cohesive now. Like I never see anything like books sticking out in a bookshelf because a character is gonna interact with it anymore.

It depends on what kind of production model you're looking at: East/West Old/New

In the US there used to be a separate layout department where the board art is reinterpreted to give it a proper horizon line/perspective job so the animators will have that to work with along with putting in any necessary details/props that the scene will require. The layout department has to also think ahead of time about how the character(s) are going to move through the frame so they know how to make sure the backgrounds don't interfere or have wonky layout that makes the movement look out of place. The animators can work with what the layout department gives them, and the background art dept can then go all in on rendering.

Lately the storyboarders have inherited the layout job without the extra benefit of time nor salary to do both jobs.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Ccs posted:

Don't know why but I just remembered a scene in Paranoia Agent's animation industry episode where a dumbass production manager needs to deliver a background cel in the rain and decides the best way to do this safely is to fold it up.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

If you liked that episode, there's an entire anime about that whole process called Shirobako. It passes the Bechdel test, too!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Neeksy posted:

If you liked that episode, there's an entire anime about that whole process called Shirobako. It passes the Bechdel test, too!

Shirobako good. It is somewhat specific to the work flow of anime, but it's still very good

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I presume the venn diagram is a goddamn circle b/the threads, but:

https://youtu.be/eXJ5OM9RfV8

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
I swear that I've heard people saying that HBO/Max is cutting back on original programming. Then I watched about 10 minutes of this new show called 'Fired on Mars' and realized that maybe it's for the best.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Nothing about what I've seen of Fired on Mars seems at all interesting to me. Am I jaded or is the premise just a big nothing?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
https://deadline.com/2023/04/space-junk-dominic-russo-jon-heder-tony-cavalero-toonstar-adult-animated-comedy-ai-voiced-character-1235329556/

Well at least it also looks like poo poo, on top of being morally repugnant.

Also lol:

quote:

In what is believed to be an industry first, the series, powered by the Theta blockchain

quote:

Sustainability is a core theme of Space Junk

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

quote:

The Space Junk community will have opportunities to interact directly with Wellbecca

Oh good, the internet interacting directly with an AI has never backfired ever :v:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I like Fired on Mars but you have to really really like subdued/deadpan humour

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Steven Universe is a bad show because It's boring.

And also, the idea that systematic change is possible while the people who created the oppressive system in the first place are allowed to maintain their positions of power is an idea that's at best disingenuous and at worst activity harmful. I thought it was stupid when I saw that happen in Metropolis and I still thought it was stupid again when I saw it happen for a second time with the giant white homage to the Maria robot from Metropolis in Steven Universe. "The Mediator Between the Head and the Hands Must Be the Heart" my rear end, the exploitation of the working class wasn't caused by a 'misunderstanding' it was caused intentionally by those in charge and driven by greed. drat it Fritz Lang, your empty platitudes serve only to maintain a cruel and unhealthy status quo in which the abuse of laborers will continue indefinitely! Nuts to that! Nuts I say!

Now I just have to figure out how to say that in a way that takes an hour and a half and film myself saying it, then that sweet YouTube money will finally be mine!

I liked Steven Universe in spite of this part, but technically, there was going to be an election...between Blue Zircon and Yellow Zircon, the Diamonds' lawyers

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Apr 25, 2023

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

In fairness to SU I think it was using society as a metaphor for interpersonal relationships rather than the other way round.

It's still not great on that front but I don't think it's actually trying to say anything about dealing with actual tyranny.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://twitter.com/FinalSpace/status/1650469020565479429

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Pretty much all graphic novel continuations of TV shows usually end up being complete garbage. (although somebody will probably come up with an example for a TV show I never watched).