Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

ReelBigLizard posted:

the first time in a relationship shopping for anything bedroom related can be an exiting time still.

Sounds like it was exactly that here :dumbrim:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
All I can picture with that story is a bunch of rednecks at the local store and one goes "Hey Joe jack I heard y'all havin' some trouble with that there neighbor o' yours" and the other sighs, "Yeah, reckon I'm gonna have to put in a pig barn"

Then everyone nods sagely like they're going to take old yeller around the back

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

ibntumart posted:

How I wish that were true. Last couple of times I hung out with my wife’s fellow soc postgrads it almost immediately veered into discussing their favorite yaoi. In retrospect, I guess I did learn a lot.

AITA for ordering nachos even though it “deeply offended and set off” my brother in law’s autism and sensory issues?

I have a bad case of whatever the gently caress it's called where hearing other people masticating makes you irrationally angry; it's hard to control. But it just takes effort. I would never try to force other people to not eat things around me...it's my loving problem. Sure it's annoying but it's nobody's fault, not mine or theirs and I have to do internal work to manage my reaction to those feelings when they come up. This dude just realized a long time ago that he could use his childish emotions to exert control over people and would rather do that than try to manage them.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Runcible Cat posted:

hosed around:

AITA for ignoring father's demands to apologize to obnoxious farmer neighbors?

Found out:

That’s a real nuclear option on a family due to a dumb lovely teenager who’ll be moving away soon for college (presumably?).

I feel bad for her parents.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Runcible Cat posted:

hosed around:

Found out:

Are we supposed to be cheering for the farmers that graze their cow on someone else's land and go around complaining that there was black people music coming out of a car, then immediately leap to ruining other people's lives when not sufficiently groveled to about it?

Like, the kid is dumb as poo poo but he's not even remotely the worst character in this story.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Crocobile posted:

That’s a real nuclear option on a family due to a dumb lovely teenager who’ll be moving away soon for college (presumably?).

I feel bad for her parents.

Yeah, this seems like overkill.

hosed around: Acted like a normal teenager

Found out: spent thousands of dollars to ruin said teenager's parent's property value, even after parents took my side in the matter

Yeah, fuckin' owned, I guess?

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
The cow ran away, it happens and people playing loud music in cars during evenings/nights can go gently caress themself, no matter what kind of music it is.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Tarkus posted:

But what if he catches the gay and starts feeling an urge to wear women's underwear? Then he won't be an alpha male but a beta-cuck.

What is the downside?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Noir89 posted:

The cow ran away, it happens and people playing loud music in cars during evenings/nights can go gently caress themself, no matter what kind of music it is.

How's your new pig barn doing?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
What if the cow attacked someone?

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Don't know if any of you remember this ask a manager, but there's an update and it's WILD

https://twitter.com/AskAManager/status/1648025080394313729?s=20

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Noir89 posted:

At 9pm? When there are acres of land between you and the music? And their parents who did nothing and have been nice to you for years can also go gently caress themselves homeless because you've utterly destroyed the livability of their house?

The kid is annoying but this is such ludicrous overkill in response that I'd be considering actual crimes against the farmers in their place.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

Kurieg posted:

How's your new pig barn doing?

Please stop keeping people up just because you have to blast music 24/7. Then I will sell the pigs and remake it into a greenhouse.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Pope Corky the IX posted:

What if the cow attacked someone?

Troy McClure: “Don’t kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance he’d eat you and everyone you care about.”

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Noir89 posted:

Why is it her job to help someone else wrangle their cow

Why is someone not allowed to play the music they like in the vehicle they own

Why are you like this

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Runcible Cat posted:

hosed around:

Found out:

Hopefully that story eventually ends with the farmer dying in a house fire, because they deserve it.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Noir89 posted:

Please stop keeping people up just because you have to blast music 24/7. Then I will sell the pigs and remake it into a greenhouse.

Hell yeah I also love to ruin peoples lives over noise before most childrens bed times.

I saw some kids riding their skateboards in the park let's get them expelled from their school or some poo poo it will be rad

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Don't get the appeal of retiring to the countryside just to be surrounded by spiteful hicks.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's not clear from the story how long the music was playing at 9PM. There's a big difference between "playing for 30 seconds while I transition from driving home to parked in the garage" and "playing from 8:01-9:59 because gently caress you it's not quiet hours"

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

rotinaj posted:

Why is it her job to help someone else wrangle their cow

Why is someone not allowed to play the music they like in the vehicle they own

Why are you like this

I read the cow comments to her being annoying about them fetchin the cow, not that they expected help to remove it. She doesn't mention them asking for help about it either but I can conceed that it might be read that way.

But she complains about them starting work early in the same loving post, do you not think they go to bed early as well? Have you ever worked shifts that start early and gotten waked up by idiots blaring music or doing other poo poo? Then you should understand why it is loving annoying.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Clocks posted:

If he's willing to follow her around in any other store then he's being weird and doing some toxic masculinity poo poo if this is where he draws the line.

Fun fact: you do not even need a chaperone to go into a ladies' lingerie store! You could be a solo guy there buying a gift (or hell something for yourself, idk).

He says that:

quote:

[I] don’t want to make the women there feel uncomfortable.
so it seems like he thinks he would be "intruding"

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Willatron posted:

Yeah, this seems like overkill.

hosed around: Acted like a normal teenager

Found out: spent thousands of dollars to ruin said teenager's parent's property value, even after parents took my side in the matter

Yeah, fuckin' owned, I guess?

Depending on the size and breed of pig, that could be well over $20,000 alone in hogs. A proper pig barn would be more than that, especially if they plan on breeding the hogs. Pigs are incredibly smart, too, so unless there is an electric fence, the pigs will be on the neighbors' property soon as well.

With proper hog feed, it will quickly turn into a $75,000 because of one obnoxious teenager, if it isn't already that price.

That said, zoned agriculture might not include hogs. Some cities bar chickens from living in residential areas. Hogs are clean animals. Hog farms are not, especially with that many defecating. That unlocks a buried memory of grandpa's hog farm, where I once saw one hog peeing and the other drinking it mid-air.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Noir89 posted:

The kid doesn't exactly clarify whether the cow grazing on their land was a deliberate act or an escape.

9PM can change from having been asleep for an hour to the person's personal time just getting started and it varies from person to person. Both sides were having their sleep hosed with by the mismatch.

The big thing for me is that this could have been solved painlessly, but was instead done with aggression escalating from passive aggressive from both parties to full on nuclear pigs in an instant. The kid is ostensibly a teenager and will likely grow out of it, but the neighbor is a grown rear end person that made his new neighbors decide between losing their wealth or their sanity, all because their kid was acting like a normal rear end teenager.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

AceClown posted:

Don't know if any of you remember this ask a manager, but there's an update and it's WILD
It's wild enough to be worth posting, but since Twitter sucks, I'm going to post the actual text here.

Halloween Jack posted:

HR won’t do anything about a coworker who’s angry about my weight loss
tl;dr of that previous post is that OP nearly died from an emergency surgery and lost a ton of weight as part of said surgery. Another co-worker, Aubrey, was a shithead who basically was like "you faked emergency surgery to lose weight rather than losing weight properly". HR basically said they can't (won't) do anything unless OP explains the emergency situation and HR sort of "both-sides might be at fault" bullshit. Oh and HR talked about putting OP into forced mediation which would count as a strike against OP for salary/raise purposes.

Now let's see today's update.

quote:

All I have to say for this update is hold on to your bananapants.

I saw a lot of comments asking where management was in all this, so I’ll address that first. My boss, “George,” was getting ready to retire while this was going on. George is roughly my grandfather’s age, so this entire situation bewildered both him and his replacement, who he was training at the time. Both of them met with Aubrey’s boss, because believe me I was documenting everything she did from the jump, and they all assured me that Aubrey would be dealt with. None of them recommended the red flag mediation, that was HR’s idea. I was given details of the meeting where Aubrey ranted about me and it was horrible, but apparently Aubrey was asked to leave by her own boss while several other employees told her to stop, so managerially and in the office in general, people were trying to rein her in from many different angles.

HR is where the ball dropped and dropped hard. This company just has a poor HR structure and bad entry to mid-level HR. When Aubrey’s boss referred her to HR regarding her negative behavior, HR took it upon themselves to consider it a mediation situation (which, remember, at our company can go against your bonus for the year) despite communication from George, his replacement, and Aubrey’s boss saying I wasn’t in the wrong. When George found out about this, he spoke to the HR generalists’ manager, who said that my “absence probably caused a lot of strain and extra work for Aubrey” when Aubrey’s not even credentialed to do what I do. Management made a point to tell me how baffled and upset they were with HR’s handling of the situation every time something came up. My company mentor was also a huge support during this time until she decided to take another job elsewhere.

When my doctor extended my ADA work-from-home accommodation a second time, HR responded by telling me my attendance was a “concern.” I emailed their boss’s boss, the HR director, and asked for clarification. He said I hadn’t come in to the office so of course my attendance was a problem, I reiterated I had medical documentation stating that if WFH wasn’t available then they could refer to the FMLA documentation my medical team also sent. He replied that medical documentation, including both FMLA and ADA reasonable accommodations, “doesn’t hold much weight” with the company.

That’s when I got a lawyer. Aubrey as a problem kind of drifted to the background when HR started their “medical documentation doesn’t matter” campaign. On my lawyer’s recommendation, I contacted the HR executive team, which is where this whole cursed situation came to light. (And I did check with my lawyer about emailing this update and they laughed and said I couldn’t leave people hanging after all that.)

I called the chief HR officer (which for my company is going over like five people’s heads, but I did it with George’s and my new boss’s blessings), who is the head of HR, and asked why my attendance was an issue when I had reasonable ADA documentation. She had no idea what I was talking about so I filled her in on all of it — including the mediation meeting and Aubrey’s harassment and the HR director (her direct report) saying medical documentation didn’t hold any weight with the company. She was speechless and asked to meet with me and my lawyer as soon as possible. My lawyer hardly had to do anything during the meeting because the CHRO was horrified at everything I told her. I’ve never actually seen steam come out of someone’s ears, but if it was physically possible it would have happened here. My lawyer didn’t need to say a word but just nodded and smiled when the CHRO offered an extended paid medical leave so I could handle my recovery and said Aubrey constantly sending me fitness plans would be “dealt with swiftly.”

I didn’t hear anything out of Aubrey for a long time but I did hear through some gossip channels that the HR staff involved in the red flag meeting/threatening to write me up were let go. Aubrey wasn’t fired because they believed she was misled by HR, so I understand that part even if I don’t agree with it, but she was on a tight PIP for a while. Then she showed up at my house.

Now we move from bananapants to full-on banana ensemble. I’m still on leave and out of the blue, Aubrey showed up at my door on a weekend with two other women in tow and the commenters guessed it: she’s in very deep with an MLM (or maybe a cult, I can’t be sure at this point). Aubrey came over to “demonstrate” some workout techniques and give me some diet “supplement” samples and discuss a “career opportunity” because she was worried about my “physical and professional health.” She didn’t make it past my mother-in-law, who has been a godsend right now. My mother-in-law made it clear where Aubrey could stick her demonstration and they left in a hurry. I notified my lawyer and the CHRO and suffice it to say, Aubrey is now a full-time “wellness coach.”

I’m happy I went with my gut and got a lawyer because the company has changed so drastically over the last year with the toxic HR department encouraging behavior like Aubrey’s and spreading false information about medical leave and time off, the company is almost unrecognizeable. Also with my boss and mentor both gone, I don’t know if I’m going to go back once I’m medically cleared. The company is also undergoing a restructuring right now and my department may end up distributed between other parts of the company or even other parts of the state. I have been looking at jobs and doing some resume drafting for a full-time remote position since it feels like it might be a better fit. But many thanks to the comment section and all the support!

MagusofStars fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 17, 2023

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Noir89 posted:

Sorry for keeping you up past your bedtime by blasting music at 9pm

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

FoolyCharged posted:

The big thing for me is that this could have been solved painlessly, but was instead done with aggression escalating from passive aggressive from both parties to full on nuclear pigs in an instant. The kid is ostensibly a teenager and will likely grow out of it, but the neighbor is a grown rear end person that made his new neighbors decide between losing their wealth or their sanity, all because their kid was acting like a normal rear end teenager.

Yeah, the teenager wasn't destroying property, wasn't harassing the neighbors, wasn't doing much more than being a surly kid listening to music, and the neighbor's immediate response was to implement costly rural biological warfare.

Were the neighbors mismatched? Sure. Could the kid have acted a bit more mature and apologized? Yes. Could the neighbors have done more to rein in their cows and respect the property lines? Of course! But to think the neighbor justified in building a whole-rear end pig farm aimed at somebody else's house because their kid was listening to Those People's Music? What the christ are you on about?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Mustang posted:

Don't get the appeal of retiring to the countryside just to be surrounded by spiteful hicks.

My main delight in this story, I admit, was sheer schadenfreude at someone who hadn't realised just how spiteful hicks can be.

And how many horrible and inventive ways they have of being spiteful. Straw Dogs didn't have a loving clue.

Anyway, have a happy and not unexpected update on this one:

Kurieg posted:

AITA for kicking my son’s girlfriend out of our house?

quote:

My husband (58 M) and I (56 F) recently met my son’s (24 M) girlfriend for the first time. He’s been crazy about her. Apparently they’ve been dating for a year before he decided to have her meet us officially.

What he’s told us about her all seems great: she just got her degree, was enjoying her job, family-oriented, etc., I’m honestly just glad he’s happy with her. My husband and I don’t think he’s ever been this into someone before, so I feel pretty bad about what I did.

Last weekend, he brought her over for dinner. By now we’d been anticipating meeting her with how much our son has been gushing about her. How perfect she is, that she’s ‘the one’, in his words.

They ring the doorbell. We open the door. She looks exactly like her pictures, which is a great start. My son is grinning ear to ear - another great start. We invite them in. She accepts my hug and a firm handshake from my husband, and then she opens her mouth:

“I’m the one your son puts his penis in.”

To be frank, I was appalled. I expected my husband to laugh (both he and my son are jokesters, and as annoying as it can be I love it) but THIS was just too much for me. Maybe I’m reserved, but of all things she could have shared about my son she told us THAT. One look at my face and my husband knew how much I disapproved.

Maybe I let my expectations get too high, and it’s unfair to have them, but I reiterate: of all things to say to her boyfriend’s parents - whom she’d never met - she chose THAT? My son was amused at first but when he noticed my reaction his face dropped.

I felt like he’d sold me the full package, everything he’d always been looking for in a girlfriend. I was too disturbed by the visual it put in my head, and it translated into anger. I told her to get out, and I wanted to say more about how gross it made me feel but I fortunately left it at that. My son didn’t want to go, insisting I give her another chance, but I was too fed up and uncomfortable by this point. Even my husband, who’s enjoyed his fair share of raunchy jokes, wouldn’t let up.

They left and I immediately felt guilty. This was something my son had really looked forward to and I feel like I took that away over a dumb joke. I tried calling to apologize but he hasn’t responded. My husband thinks she’s the one who should apologize. I’m considering giving her another chance, but before I do, was I the AH?

Update, yep, son thought it would be funny:

quote:

Thanks for reaching out everyone. My son got in touch with me. His girlfriend agreed to try again. We all met at a restaurant my son and his girlfriend chose. The first thing she said was an apology for what she said. I apologized for my reaction. We hugged. It was nice. She then explained how my son had convinced her a joke like that would land well, and that she wouldn’t have said it if she didn’t think we’d like it. According to my son, she was reluctant to open with any jokes at all, but they came up with that one together on the way over. You guys were right!

She’s a really sweet girl. She’s actually very mature, too. I see why my son likes her so much. My husband and I really like her, we told our son to bring her when he visits. We look forward to seeing them again. Overall, I’m glad we could start over. On the right foot this time. Thanks, everyone for your input.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
yeah, I'd imagine someone in HR saying that the ADA "didn't hold much weight" with the company is a definite "Johnson! My office, now!" Situation. Great fafo

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for not leaving a bithday party after I scared a guest?

quote:

A slight bit of context here - I (17f) am a Metalhead. My wardrobe consists of over 200 band shirts, black jeans, a trouser chain and big platform boots. I’m also heavily pierced and have stretched ears. I’ve dressed this way for close to 5 years, my family are accepting of it and it’s just the way it is.

A few days ago, it was my niece’s (6f) birthday party - it was a mix of family and school friends being accompanied by parents. My Mum and I got there a little late so most of the people were already there. Including ‘Annie’ and her daughter ‘Sara’ (5f).

The party was being held in the back garden of my brother’s house, so I made my way through the house and to the back. The second that I stepped onto the patio, Sara burst into hysterics when she saw me. I couldn’t hear her fully but I definitely heard “Make her go away” somewhere in there.

My brother led me and my niece back into the living room so my niece could show me her presents and Sara could calm down. A little while passed and Annie came storming into the house.

She asked if I could please leave the party as it wasn’t fair that her daughter couldn’t enjoy herself. She said that my appearance was scaring her daughter and that I should’ve thought about what I wore around little children. She kept insisting that I leave and let her stay there. My niece got upset, saying that she wanted me to stay cause I’m her Auntie. My brother agreed and said that if there was a problem, it was her job to take Sara home and not force others to do the work for her.

She spent 20 minutes packing her stuff, taking the birthday presents back and mumbling expletives whilst giving me the side-eye.

Some of the other parents at the party agreed with Annie but most didn’t care - non of my family nor my SIL’s family took Annie’s side.

I feel bad but I also felt like I tried to alleviate the situation because I was more than happy to stay inside to keep out of Sara’s way.

AITA?

Edit: A few people mentioned about what my shirt had printed on it. It was a Slipknot shirt but it just had the band’s logo/font on it. No picture of the band on it either. Just that, some jeans and Doc Martens :)

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

DeeplyConcerned posted:

yeah, I'd imagine someone in HR saying that the ADA "didn't hold much weight" with the company is a definite "Johnson! My office, now!" Situation. Great fafo

The performance review and attempt to fire them after HR got involved was sadly predictable. Glad she lawyered up and the HR people were dumb enough to hand said lawyer a cannon loaded, primed, pointed at them, and ready to fire.

I'm also glad that the person writing it had the common sense to gtfo out of a place that would treat her like that, even though she "won" the dispute.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Mustang posted:

she said it in the first post money goes farther. col where i live is stupid low. on the flip side there is literally nothing to do and i hate all my spiteful hick neighbours. that said none of my neighbours would be on my rear end for listening to music in my own lot just like im not in their rear end when they do it or target practice in the barn / shooting range thingy. and they are all pretty chill with where the pigs are. but every year someone dies in the big pig poo poo lake. usually one of their kids =(

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

FoolyCharged posted:

The big thing for me is that this could have been solved painlessly, but was instead done with aggression escalating from passive aggressive from both parties to full on nuclear pigs in an instant.

This is an amazing sentence.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

/r/relationships - full on nuclear pigs

There's no way I'm on the side of the neighbors in that story, she's a teenager doing extremely normal teenage stuff and they're punishing her whole family in a disproportionate manner. Spiteful is the right word.

Investing thousands in animal husbandry out of revenge for a teenager listening to music in their car is probably one of the most dramatic beats we've ever had in here.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Having lived in a super rural area, yea that neighbor is an insane person. If it wasn't the normal teen it was going to be something else that pissed them off about the new neighbor that ain't from around here.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
If you're buying land zoned agricultural you're insane to get a smaller plot of land with the house close to the property line. Even if your current neighbors are reasonable you don't know when some giant corporate ag pig farming operation might buy them out.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I’ve read enough bad HR stories at the point to recognize a type. They run their department like a fiefdom, believe they have ultimate power, and brazenly violate the social contract because they know that they’ll get away with it. OP was lucky that the weight loss MLM lady wasn’t personal friends with HR - there are plenty of stories about people stalking coworkers, making overt threats, breaking the law in all kinds of ways, with HR’s assistance in threatening the victim into silence.

Extremely lucky never to have run into that myself, but the worst workplace abuse stories I’ve read all involve the active collaboration a “mole” in HR.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Yeah the neighbouring farmers sound absolutely loving bonkers.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
The neighbors sound mental, that's wild.

But, and this is just my hot take unrelated to the deranged yokels, anyone listening to music that is for them only and isn't using headphones will always be the rear end in a top hat to me. Especially if you're out hiking or in public areas

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

carrionman posted:

The neighbors sound mental, that's wild.

But, and this is just my hot take unrelated to the deranged yokels, anyone listening to music that is for them only and isn't using headphones will always be the rear end in a top hat to me. Especially if you're out hiking or in public areas

She wasn't alone, she was hanging out with her friend in her car and they were listening to music together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

MK-Ultramarathon posted:

AITA for calling my wife "jealous" and "controlling"?

r/relationships: it's not because we're having an affair, it's because I don't have other friends

Hey, this guy's been replying a lot, I wonder what-

quote:

It was literally years ago back when we met, way before I met my wife. I don't like Anne at all, I had a small crush on her but soon realized I didn't like her like that, just as a friend

His friends joked TO HER about this, I think I get why she feels weird about him/Anne.

quote:

My wife is not a trump supporter but she does agree with some stuff he did, Jacob absolutely hates trump and his politics

YOU SUCK AND YOUR WIFE SUCKS, stay together and away from the rest of us.