Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i'd like to call one nba game. i'd like to say "hat trick beverly" over and over every time he does something for the third time. i'd go like this: "it rattles around and in, and hat trick beverly picks up his third bucket of the night!" or i'd say, "with the assist is hat trick beverly. he's got three." if he did it. he doesn't get 3 assists a huge amount of times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
A conspiracy theory is circulating among Suns fans. This guy who got into some sort of spat with Westbrook at halftime:

https://twitter.com/BCH66223/status/1647790771406524418

Is alleged to be this same jackass who did the "counting money" thing during Giannis free throws:

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/1416573486571692032

Identical hats and identical watches worn on the right hand for some reason? Arizona face blindness? You decide.

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

I noticed this too. Durant has always had great handles for his size, but forcing him to put the ball on the deck is the best way to discomfort him.

But he did exactly that with a bunch of nobodies and borked Harden against the Bucks in the playoffs a couple of years ago :smith:

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Mikal is the only real major sacrifice by the Suns other than the picks but picks aren't playing.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Cam Johnson is like a really really good role player.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Okay but again like...Jae wasn't playing and wasn't going to play. Mikal I already acknowledged. Cam is a very solid young piece but also has flaws in his game and also an injury history that's kinda like KD in terms of the minor stuff that happens a lot.

It's completely and totally fair to say that trading especially Mikal who might be a budding superstar and Cam is a questionable decision but Jae was literally dead weight and I still would maintain the Suns pre-Durant probably had a higher floor but definitely had a much much lower ceiling.

I just think the depth argument is a little bit skewed in its framing, especially if you bring up Jae as part of the argument. I also see Suns fans doing it sometimes, and doing a LOT of hindsight and rose-colored glasses as if they weren't screaming for the Suns to make a big move pre-deadline because the team was pretty clearly mid.

You seem to be taking this as an argument that the Suns shouldn't have traded for KD. Obviously trading for KD is the best thing that could have happened to this team, particularly since Crowder was already asking out! The result though is a top-heavy rotation, and in this particular match-up the Clippers, by contrast, have an incredible amount of quality bench depth. The Suns starting five should destroy the Clippers starting five but their six through ten guys are way worse than the equivalent guys on the Clippers. This is basically what we saw in the game. Ish Wainright for example was -12 in less than 7 minutes of play. In my view he shouldn't even being seeing the court in the playoffs. The Suns will probably tighten up their rotations going forward but it isn't totally clear who their six through eight guys should be and how those rotations should work.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
https://theathletic.com/4418802/2023/04/17/ban-the-charge-giannis-antetokounmpo-ja-morant-injuries/?source=user_shared_article

Ban the charge is a bit much. If you got rid of itnyoud need to change the way drives are officiated so that the defender wouldn’t be essentially helpless if the offensive player decided to dribble into him

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Dexo posted:

Yeah, I don't really understand the dismissal of Cam as a big former part of the Suns depth, he's the sort of lengthy, 40% from three guy who can fit with almost anyone else in a rotation. There aren't a ton of bench players available who can be plus guys on both ends of the court. He's a starter level player on a lot of teams.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Dejan Bimble posted:

https://theathletic.com/4418802/2023/04/17/ban-the-charge-giannis-antetokounmpo-ja-morant-injuries/?source=user_shared_article

Ban the charge is a bit much. If you got rid of itnyoud need to change the way drives are officiated so that the defender wouldn’t be essentially helpless if the offensive player decided to dribble into him

They should just watch the video where Metta World Peace has his friends run into him full speed and doesn't move to prove that charges are fake and simply only call a charge if it would knock MWP down.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Most reasonable people say expand the restricted area so charges are less dangerous and in general less of a tool to just legally undercut people, because these rules were designed for white 30 year olds and not the zenith of peak physicality at maximum height and speed

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

Dexo posted:

Vox Nihili posted:

Yeah, I don't really understand the dismissal of Cam as a big former part of the Suns depth, he's the sort of lengthy, 40% from three guy who can fit with almost anyone else in a rotation. There aren't a ton of bench players available who can be plus guys on both ends of the court. He's a starter level player on a lot of teams.

Cam is really good, just not the iron man Bridges is. You can build a team around Bridges, Cam is more of a running mate.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Rick posted:

They should just watch the video where Metta World Peace has his friends run into him full speed and doesn't move to prove that charges are fake and simply only call a charge if it would knock MWP down.

Exactly

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Tae posted:

Most reasonable people say expand the restricted area so charges are less dangerous and in general less of a tool to just legally undercut people, because these rules were designed for white 30 year olds and not the zenith of peak physicality at maximum height and speed

The restricted area was added in 1997, not exactly an era of unathletic white people

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I just want a way to legally play defense

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

runaway pancake
Dec 13, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Gravy Boat 2k
watching unatheltic white dudes getting demolished while trying to take a charge is like top 5 most enjoyable things about ball, why would you want to take that away

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Offensive fouls should not count if the defender is using his hands to protect his crotch.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Lockback posted:

The restricted area was added in 1997, not exactly an era of unathletic white people

Ok Brent Barry

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

runaway pancake posted:

watching unatheltic white dudes getting demolished while trying to take a charge is like top 5 most enjoyable things about ball, why would you want to take that away

Ok Jeff Foster

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

runaway pancake posted:

that's literally why morant and giannis are out injured

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Unathletic white dude Anthony Davis

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
https://twitter.com/TheAthletic/status/1648100823623254017?t=KhuhALL22_YYYKdKS8rM8A&s=19

Shoulda been Mobley

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Least bad DPOY pick of the last two years!

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Only 63 games, sham award

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

It's conflicting because I'm happy for lebron and I like the Lakers players but it would be bad for the world if the Lakers had too much playoff success

LeBron winning another title would be great.

1. It would cause a lot mental trauma to all the hard core Kobe fans
2. It would piss off Bill Simons
3. Jordan fans would start getting night sweats
4. Lakers never had parade for the bubble
5. The 180 on Rob Pelinka would be hilarious
6. Everyone on Lakers would get Paid, the team would crumble and LeBron would leave

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

Rick posted:

Hey you were the one who had the theory that things would work better without PG and you were right. I think the potential of the team is so much higher with George but also the floor is way lower.

I dunno this would be the offseason to trade him if they're going to want to avoid being locked into super tax prison for a couple years but there's no way to get value on him.

I think Coach Lue has issues with rotations if there are too many guys. Maybe they can trade PG and a bunch of dudes for Luka lol. Luka and Kawhi in the playoffs would be game over.

Look how loving PSYCHED he is! He can barely contain himself.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

dokmo posted:

Offensive fouls should not count if the defender is using his hands to protect his crotch.
Yeah this is what’s dumb about charges, when the defender is in the path of the attacking player because they’re trying to protect the basket solely by being some sort of crotch-protecting traffic cone getting bowled over. But in general you need the charge call or defense would be impossible.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Taking away the charge would be stupid. New rule changes should be done to help defense/make offense harder. The current rule set favors offense too much.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Get rid of taking a charge but don't punish defenders who are in position by calling fouls if someone else initiates contact.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

morestuff posted:

Only 63 games, sham award

its more that he played like 26 mpg cuz he just beats the poo poo outta everyone and fouls out

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

take away the charge to protect giannis. who cares about protecting all the people he’d run into at full speed

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

slamball but the trampolines are mattresses in the paint and out of bounds

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Lockback posted:

yes it was, they were all guarding michael 1 on 1 and didnt know what a pick and roll was

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
If a player says yabbadabbadoo then they are legally allowed to move through any defender

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
I'd be fine with expanding the restricted area, making undercuts potential flagrants like the jumpshot landing area rule, and giving defenders more leeway to contest a guy barreling at them so standing there covering your balls isn't so incentivized, but I don't really understand the "charges just reward defenders for getting in the way" stuff. Like, no poo poo? A defense trying to get in the way?

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

Seems like the answer is to get rid of blocking fouls

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Dutchy posted:

I'd be fine with expanding the restricted area, making undercuts potential flagrants like the jumpshot landing area rule, and giving defenders more leeway to contest a guy barreling at them so standing there covering your balls isn't so incentivized, but I don't really understand the "charges just reward defenders for getting in the way" stuff. Like, no poo poo? A defense trying to get in the way?

I think don't think incentivising defenders to run infront of an opponent at the last moment to just stand there and get hit is rewarding defense. Defense is stuff like actually jumping and contesting shots and lay ups.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

tanglewood1420 posted:

I think don't think incentivising defenders to run infront of an opponent at the last moment to just stand there and get hit is rewarding defense. Defense is stuff like actually jumping and contesting shots and lay ups.

Getting a charge is really really hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

It sheathes the actual problem which is that dpoy caliber Anthony Davis's only move at times against tinier ja morant is to use arcane stand-still defensive maneuvers because everything else is hosed by the rules