Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

History Comes Inside! posted:

People are more interested in sick flips nowadays

Jeff Cobb does those too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Gaz-L posted:

Okada's like 6 foot 4 isn't he?

Yeah but Okada is relatively svelte, where Suwama is both tall and wide

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Give it a year and Beast Mode will be NWA World Champion.

Fake edit: whatever happened to that gigantic muscle gaijin dude from 2011 or so? I don't know what promotion he wrestled for but I would imagine it was New Japan. Jon Strongman I think his name was. He might have teamed with Giant Bernard or Tyson Tomko.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Give it a year and Beast Mode will be NWA World Champion.

Fake edit: whatever happened to that gigantic muscle gaijin dude from 2011 or so? I don't know what promotion he wrestled for but I would imagine it was New Japan. Jon Strongman I think his name was. He might have teamed with Giant Bernard or Tyson Tomko.

I'm not sure what happened to Strongman/Strong Man. He was a mainstay in CMLL, was going to have a title match with Ultimo Guerrero and then it never happened. Then he did NJPW dates and a few IGF before vanishing. I'm guessing him not being very good meant NJPW didn't want to book him as their roster got better and they decided the Gracies were their favored freakshows, but I don't know what happened to him in CMLL. Not being good rarely stopped them from booking funny guys.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

Jeff Cobb does those too

Yup :stare:

Cobb as Matanza was so good early on, and I'm glad he's found the right place to grow now in NJPW. absolutely the hoss that place needed for a while.

speaking of, does Shingo count as a big man? Not super tall but incredibly beefy.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

I'm not sure what happened to Strongman/Strong Man. He was a mainstay in CMLL, was going to have a title match with Ultimo Guerrero and then it never happened. Then he did NJPW dates and a few IGF before vanishing. I'm guessing him not being very good meant NJPW didn't want to book him as their roster got better and they decided the Gracies were their favored freakshows, but I don't know what happened to him in CMLL. Not being good rarely stopped them from booking funny guys.

muscle orchestra is one of the all time great tag team names

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

SG Bamboo posted:

Yeah but Okada is relatively svelte, where Suwama is both tall and wide

Yeah, Okada is quite slim, all things considered. Suwama is definitely a big chunky boy. "Big man" height can be relative to the majority of the roster around the person, but width and chunkiness is an absolute must.

Answers Me posted:

Where do people rank Nakamura in relation to the other god-tier wrestlers of modern New Japan like Okada and Tanahashi? He was long gone by the time I started paying attention so I only really know him from the History of CHAOS recap on YouTube and the odd WWE clip.

I'd say Okada is at the top, followed by Nakamura and Tanahashi, but Okada and Tana have generally been far more consistent.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Thauros posted:

muscle orchestra is one of the all time great tag team names

This is the first I’m hearing of this but i agree

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

what concert would you rather attend, muscle orchestra or BULK orchestra?

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Stack of Arms

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
They're playing together, it's a miraculous violent connection

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Muscle Orchestral Maneuvers in the Dark (match).

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Tomohiro Ishii is small, but you can't deny that he wrestles like a big man

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
What is the highest attendance for a UK wrestling show? Is it SummerSlam 1992? How far from the truth was the 80k number?

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Kosmo Gallion posted:

What is the highest attendance for a UK wrestling show? Is it SummerSlam 1992? How far from the truth was the 80k number?

Without looking it up there will definitely be some sort of Festival Of Wrestling Pursuits from the 19th century held in the crystal palace that drew half a million people

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Kosmo Gallion posted:

According to Dave it was only about 1400 shy of the figure they claimed.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_professional_wrestling_attendance_records_in_the_United_Kingdom

Some big but unverifiable crowds elsewhere in Europe:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_professional_wrestling_attendance_records_in_Europe

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

George Hackenschmidt at Ibrox would be cool. Also didn't realise Edinburgh had a busy wrestling scene back in the day, Alex Munroe was some draw.

Maurice Tillet at White Hart Lane is pretty cool too. I love that page

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

What’s the difference between a backdrop, backdrop driver, and saito suplex?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

A backdrop, or "back suplex" is when you grab someone from behind while standing slightly to the side of them, lifting them off their feet and dropping them flat on their back

A backdrop driver is when you do that but drop them on the top of their head instead of flat on their back

A saito suplex (or a "twisted backdrop" as its called in fire pro) is when you grab them from the side, shoulder under the armpit and is more like a belly-to-back suplex from a different angle

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

Captain Foo posted:

What’s the difference between a backdrop, backdrop driver, and saito suplex?

A saito suplex has you grab the opponent around the waist with you standing basically against their hip, so the two bodies are roughly perpendicular

I think the backdrop driver is a high angle backdrop. Both of these are belly to (mostly) back. Also, you usually put a hand under the opponents thigh for extra leverage.

E: a saito is almost a sideways German

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Thanks!

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
What is one canceled part of wrestling you wish you could have seen more of?

It can be a gimmick (Seven or Kerwin White), an angle (Vince getting blown up), the WCW relaunch in 2001, etc etc.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Havoc904 posted:

It can be a gimmick (Seven or Kerwin White), an angle (Vince getting blown up), the WCW relaunch in 2001, etc etc.

Elite versus undisputed

Dark order with brodie

Joey janela being frustrated

TH2

There are lots in AEW alone.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
What Kevin Nash was just about to do when he ate that ice cream cone and his quad exploded

What Test's ceiling was going to be if HHH had not decided for the first time of many that he wanted someone else's storyline

The original 24/7 Hardcore Title was my favorite thing about professional wrestling, and I mean I realize they apparently kind of brought it back but only like 15 years later

Edit: Oh good call about Elite vs. Undisputed, I love that they waited long enough to pull the trigger that Bobby Fish got distracted by a shiny object and wandered off. And Brodie I guess if that counts as cancelled then fair enough. Uncancel Owen Hart :smith: oh hey did they give up on the Owen Hart tournament already or what

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Dr. Quarex posted:

Edit: Oh good call about Elite vs. Undisputed, I love that they waited long enough to pull the trigger that Bobby Fish got distracted by a shiny object and wandered off.

In hindsight the fact they pulled the trigger on the turn was weird

iirc Adam Cole had the concussion from forbidden door in June that shelved him, Kyle had also been injured in the same month and would later get neck surgery in September, that leaves bob fish as the only member of the undisputed elite known to be healthy so they decide to have the undisputed beat down the bucks on august 4th? Which doesn't make sense to me because at best you're left with bob fish until adam cole comes back concussion healed.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Havoc904 posted:

Paparazzi Productions skits

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Defenestrategy posted:

Dark order with brodie

:sigh:

itsnews
Jul 25, 2022

Dr. Quarex posted:

:smith: oh hey did they give up on the Owen Hart tournament already or what

TBD but Canadian tour is coming up.

Second Paparazzi Productions. I remember there was a DVD that was announced but eventually cancelled. Bet it had unreleased footage that I still need to see.

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

Havoc904 posted:

This one for sure. Devastated we never got Vince’s hobo army :sigh:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Havoc904 posted:

Hade Vanson

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

fez_machine posted:

Here's something I've been thinking about with the waning heat on both Wardlow and Hobbs, in the modern era (I'm defining modern as post WCW collapse or Inokiism in Japan) has there been a big man or giant that's been a star or face of the company type outside of WWE?

It just seems like big men are nothing but special attractions nowadays.

How quickly we forget the current NWA champion, Tyrus.

He's six foot seven, both tall and around! :v:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Havoc904 posted:

- Blitzkrieg.

- That TNA tag team of Bully Ray and Scott Steiner. Apparently they were only around long enough for two promos, but they were AMAZING.

- WWE All-Stars.

- Would have loved to see that 90s relaunch of Southpaw Regional Wrestling that they teased.

- Wrestling Society X.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Havoc904 posted:

Paragon Pro Wrestling and it's nutty rulebook:

https://uproxx.com/prowrestling/and-now-highlights-from-paragon-league-wrestlings-obsessive-rule-book/

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Wow Paragon Pro Wrestling's writeup is definitely worth a read, and I am definitely changing my full vote to Southpaw Regional Wrestling. The theme song makes me smile every time I hear it, like I am seeing an old friend

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Havoc904 posted:

Gavok posted:

- Blitzkrieg.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
does the lockbox count

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

BodyMassageMachine posted:

This one for sure. Devastated we never got Vince’s hobo army :sigh:

In a way, all independent contractors for WWE are part of Vince's hobo army.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Havoc904 posted:

No Effort No Care Brock vs Hiroshi Tanahashi for the IWGP title. Hell Brock in Yukes New Japan period. It wouldn't be good but it'd be fascinating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Defenestrategy posted:

Joey janela being frustrated

Fustrated :eng101: