Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Why do we have to cook our food? Like, plenty of animals thrive eating raw foods, so why do humans need to cook their foods? Besides the obvious of not getting sick, I know that. I also just realized, I don't think I can ask this without looking like an idiot, but whatever, nothing new

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Leave posted:

Why do we have to cook our food? Like, plenty of animals thrive eating raw foods, so why do humans need to cook their foods? Besides the obvious of not getting sick, I know that. I also just realized, I don't think I can ask this without looking like an idiot, but whatever, nothing new

We technically don't have to but figuring out how to cook food gave us access to new sources of food we couldn't normally chew or digest.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Cooking is like pre-digestion. It takes less energy for the human body to get more energy and some nutrients out of the food when it's cooked.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I do find that fascinating too, like who were the first cavemen to cook food and why did they try it? Knowledge of fermentation seems like an accidental, pre-civilization thing (loads of animals eat rotten fruit to get buzzed) but cooking, to me, seems like it would have to be more deliberate. Did a bison get hit by lightning or something and the cavemen who scavenged its meat just really liked the taste?

Mike Fallopian posted:

Depends on the nutrient, I don't think you'll get anything but caloric information from burning something generally. I would assume that they blend of up and separate it out chemically, or for artificial food they just add up the ingredients.

Right, I should have known you can only get caloric content from burning. And yeah, I imagine basically all of this stuff is based on publicly-available records of things. Kind of reminds me of a time I was bored at work and started reading the MSDS sheets for our cleaning products; one of them had the LD50 values for ethyl alcohol in it. I'm pretty sure there aren't scientists out there still getting bunnies so drunk they die every time a new floor cleaning fluid comes out. Least I hope not.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Cooked food is also a lot easier on your teeth, which is important when you live as long as we do.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Mister Speaker posted:

I do find that fascinating too, like who were the first cavemen to cook food and why did they try it? Knowledge of fermentation seems like an accidental, pre-civilization thing (loads of animals eat rotten fruit to get buzzed) but cooking, to me, seems like it would have to be more deliberate. Did a bison get hit by lightning or something and the cavemen who scavenged its meat just really liked the taste?

Could be as simple as someone dropped their elk haunch on a hot rock near a camp fire and hey that smells kinda good. Figuring out to boil plants and grains probably took a little more thought. Also, like a pot or something.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
People are fascinated by fire, plus it has obvious utility in helping you keep warm. So you'll want to live near fire. And then you'll probably experiment with sticking things in the fire and seeing what happens. Oh hey, this tastes better if you stick it in the fire first!

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Hey this milk sitting in the cows stomach bag I made tastes really good!

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Mister Speaker posted:

Kind of reminds me of a time I was bored at work and started reading the MSDS sheets for our cleaning products; one of them had the LD50 values for ethyl alcohol in it.

lol I remember reading an MSDS for lab grade ethanol and it was like "accidental ingestion by mouth can cause loss of precise motor control, slurred speech, cognitive difficulties..."

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

McCracAttack posted:

Computer chairs: the backbone of a good sit up.

Office chairs fall into the "don't cheap out on stuff that separates you from the ground" category. Here are some Wirecutter picks and note that their "budget" pick is $400.

I had a friend talk me into a Steelcase Gesture when I started working from home and I'm glad they did. It doesn't feel like you're floating on a cloud or anything but once you get it dialed in (read up on ergonomic adjustments) then one hour of sitting and 9 hours of sitting feel about the same. You're not trying to maximize comfort so much as delay discomfort.

I totally missed this post somehow. Thanks for the thread link!

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

George H.W. oval office posted:

I'm confident most of our food discoveries throughout history came down to, "Yes I am hungry and desperate enough to eat that."

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mister Speaker posted:

I do find that fascinating too, like who were the first cavemen to cook food and why did they try it?

McCracAttack posted:

Could be as simple as someone dropped their elk haunch on a hot rock near a camp fire and hey that smells kinda good. Figuring out to boil plants and grains probably took a little more thought. Also, like a pot or something.

pretty sure i read somewhere that it started with people scavenging animals that were caught in grass/brush fires and noticing that their cooked/charred meat tasted a lot better and was easier to digest. so then they started doing it themselves.

boiling stuff likely came quite a bit later.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

People are fascinated by fire, plus it has obvious utility in helping you keep warm. So you'll want to live near fire. And then you'll probably experiment with sticking things in the fire and seeing what happens. Oh hey, this tastes better if you stick it in the fire first!
Yeah. People being literally as dumb and smart and curious as we are goes back a hundred thousand years or more. They're going to try poo poo and then figure out that what works for one kind of food might work for another. It's a mind gently caress to think what their lives were really like, but the easiest thing to imagine is what happens when you're bored around a fire.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:

McCracAttack posted:

I'm confident most of our food discoveries throughout history came down to, "Yes I am hungry and desperate enough to eat that."

I still wonder about the first human's thought process leading them to decide to try an oyster. Or some of the grosser Scandinavian delicacies around fermented sea life.

Decedent
Dec 20, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
The best guess for this that I ever heard was that the genetic bottleneck that made humans what we are today, was caused by a massive supervolcano. Lotsa cooked everything and fire. Cooked food was a huge step to making our big brains and helped with our relatively long periods of childrearing. Fire drives on the African savannah, boiling geothermal lakes, it's fun to speculate!

Tad Naff posted:

I still wonder about the first human's thought process leading them to decide to try an oyster. Or some of the grosser Scandinavian delicacies around fermented sea life.

Why do infants have a swimming reflex or hold their breath instinctively when submerged?

Decedent
Dec 20, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Support NPR!

https://www.radiolab.org/podcast/91696-new-nice

As humans became domesticated our jaws shrank too, necessitating that predigestion.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Leave posted:

Without cooking we’d spend way more time eating way more food for the same nutritional content. These days in the first world it’d just be boring and annoying, but elsewhere and elsetime that’s a significant survival drain. IIRC thanks to our massive brains we proportionally need a lot more energy than other animals, so we need every advantage we could get.

Edit: and yeah, we’ve been relying on cooking long enough that we’ve evolved in response to it

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Tad Naff posted:

I can't explain the Scandinavian stuff, no one can, but animals eat shellfish so someone watched an otter chowing down on a bunch of oysters and decided to get in on it.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Tad Naff posted:

I feel like my hypothesis still explains those examples.

mllaneza posted:

I can't explain the Scandinavian stuff, no one can, ...

Oh look at their majesty too good to eat something they pissed on and buried in the sand last fall.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

dupersaurus posted:

Without cooking we’d spend way more time eating way more food for the same nutritional content. These days in the first world it’d just be boring and annoying, but elsewhere and elsetime that’s a significant survival drain. IIRC thanks to our massive brains we proportionally need a lot more energy than other animals, so we need every advantage we could get.

Edit: and yeah, we’ve been relying on cooking long enough that we’ve evolved in response to it

Thanks for this and all the other great answers. I knew cooking "unlocked" nutrients or whatever, but I never connected that to our brains utilizing those nutrients.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Here's a thing I don't understand. Why do people insist Neanderthals went extinct if we've got their dna in us? Is this just an arbitrary line drawn out of homo sapiens arrogance? You cross a lion and a tiger and you call it a liger. How did homo sapiens get to keep his name, absorbing other hominids without apparently losing his essence?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Flipperwaldt posted:

Here's a thing I don't understand. Why do people insist Neanderthals went extinct if we've got their dna in us? Is this just an arbitrary line drawn out of homo sapiens arrogance? You cross a lion and a tiger and you call it a liger. How did homo sapiens get to keep his name, absorbing other hominids without apparently losing his essence?

I think it's a fairly recent discovery that they didn't go extinct but rather probably interbred with homo sapiens sapiens, so popular discourse is probably lagging the actual science.

Decedent
Dec 20, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Flipperwaldt posted:

More Raidiolab:
https://radiolab.org/podcast/why-fish-dont-exist

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

More like it objectively tastes not really great, but it is tolerable and it doesn't make me sick and it feeds me and it lasts quite a long time which is a massive advantage. And part of the human condition is becoming accustomed to stuff that at first is unpleasant but then becomes tolerable.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
sometimes you just wanna suck a titty

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

:yeah:

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

McCracAttack posted:

I feel like my hypothesis still explains those examples.

Oh look at their majesty too good to eat something they pissed on and buried in the sand last fall.

actually this poison shark that's rotted so much it 360'd all the way back to being technically edible is good

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i think a lot of times the answer to "why did people try eating this weird stuff" is that they had no other choice

the scandinavian affection for fermented fish comes from fermentation making things last longer and since it's a region where most of nature is frozen half the year, it's pretty useful to have some fish that lasts awhile so you dont have to go out catch something fresh in the middle of a blizzard.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Apr 18, 2023

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

alnilam posted:

I think it's a fairly recent discovery that they didn't go extinct but rather probably interbred with homo sapiens sapiens, so popular discourse is probably lagging the actual science.
I'm assuming so, but it's disappointing. Just like every time they find remains indicating neanderthals had culture or cared for the elderly, it's all woah picachu surprised face, as if the whole dumb brute stereotype wasn't just unscientific victorian speculation to begin with, let it go already.

I was hoping there was something about dna or lineage I was misunderstanding that explained it better than that.

Neat, I'll probably listen to that soon.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Flipperwaldt posted:

So yeah defining species can be squishy even when all examples are currently alive, let alone when they’re dead. But if you take a Neanderthal skeleton and compare it to a modern human, even someone untrained can see that they differ quite significantly and there’s no doubt that it’s the modern human lineage that survived. Interbreeding happened and signs of it persist, but I think(?) that’s mostly a European and to a lesser extent Asian trait.

Mike Fallopian
Apr 10, 2023

by vyelkin
I believe that the most useful definition of the word "species" is the largest group of organisms where two hybrids are capable of reproducing fertile offspring.

Humans and neanderthals are (were), if you adhere rigourously to what I believe is the most useful definition of "species", different genetic groups of the same species. Some researchers call use the terms "homo sapiens sapiens" and "homo sapiens neanderthalis" to distinguish the two groups rather than referring to them as different species.

Honestly it comes down to a question of definition, which is the least useful kind of question you can ask in most circumstances.

Either way, neanderthals were probably just regular people with pretty significant morphological differences to modern human.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â

Flipperwaldt posted:

It's mostly a limitation of the fossil record and the "biological species concept". The most common definition for a species is a group of individuals capable of producing viable offspring with each other. This sounds very nice in theory, but in practice nature doesn't segregate itself like this, so you have tons of gaps, edge-cases, and confusion. As it relates to hominids, under that definition we would probably classify Neanderthals as a member of the same species (like how domesticated dogs and wolves are the same species). However, we are very self-centered, and we look at things a lot more detailed when they relate to us. There are definite morphological differences between us and Neanderthals that point to distinct groups, and since they're gone and we're here we like to somewhat arbitraily decide they were a different species. It's all a bit silly.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Decedent posted:

The best guess for this that I ever heard was that the genetic bottleneck that made humans what we are today, was caused by a massive supervolcano. Lotsa cooked everything and fire. Cooked food was a huge step to making our big brains and helped with our relatively long periods of childrearing. Fire drives on the African savannah, boiling geothermal lakes, it's fun to speculate!

That doesn't really make any sense. A supervolcano extinction event isn't about everything getting buried in lava pompeii-style (that's only a danger pretty close to the volcano), it's about massive amounts of ash and smoke filling the sky and blocking out the sun for months.

For comparison, when non-supervolcano Mt St Helens erupted in 1980, the lava only traveled about 23 miles but the ash cloud traveled this far:

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Apr 18, 2023

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i dont think a "supervolcano" was remotely necessary for humans to learn about fire and cooking food. wild fires caused by lightning strikes are pretty common in many regions of the world and often leave behind the cooked carcasses of animals, anyone who simply picked one up and started eating would quickly realize that charred meat tastes very good.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Keeping with the early human development is there any evidence of the first language or what it would have been most similar to?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mister Speaker posted:

How are macro/micronutrients calculated for a food or food ingredient? I'm assuming it involves taking a sample and burning it or something in a lab.

In theory, yes. The device used is called a “bomb calorimeter”. You burn the food in a sealed chamber of pure oxygen and see how much the apparatus heats up.

In practice, the government lets you calculate it from the ingredients. You don’t have to test a Twinkie, because someone has already tested the corn syrup and the palm oil and whatever.

In either event, you have to apply corrections for things like the relative metabolic efficiency of sugar digestion versus proteins, and subtract things like cellulose that burn but are not digestible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1os4LxbOLU

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Apr 18, 2023

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Thanks dupersaurus, Mike Fallopian, DildenAnders. It makes sense that the naming of species can be fuzzy at the edges to begin with.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Keeping with the early human development is there any evidence of the first language or what it would have been most similar to?

No. We don't really know much about anything before Proto-Indo-European, a language spoken sometime between 4500 and 2500 BC, and everything we know about that is inferred from looking at modern languages. There are some other proto-languages that we have some guesses about, but anything before about 20000 BC is totally unknown.

Mike Fallopian
Apr 10, 2023

by vyelkin
Language in the pre-writing world is so inaccessible to us that a lot of the scientific community used to think that anyone studying it at all was wasting time and money in a fools errand. Nobody can really even come up with a good estimate of when language developed in the first place the last time I looked into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

ultrafilter posted:

No. We don't really know much about anything before Proto-Indo-European, a language spoken sometime between 4500 and 2500 BC, and everything we know about that is inferred from looking at modern languages. There are some other proto-languages that we have some guesses about, but anything before about 20000 BC is totally unknown.

We have a decent amount of knowledge about Proto-Afro-Asiatic from up to 10 000 BC because of Egyptian writing, but yes. We don't know whether all languages descend from a single origin or whether language developed independently more than once. Nothing but guesswork.