Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Gewehr 43 posted:

25mm ready ammunition lockers for the Kongo. Only 200 more to go.

I can't tell if I should be impressed or reporting this post for self-harm.

I hope the model turns out awesome, either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

Gewehr 43 posted:

Edit: there are 179 ready lockers of two different types, each of which has six connection points to the fret leaving 1074 points to cut. Because of the way they're shaped and laid out on the fret, you can't use scissors to cut multiple off at one time.

Man I can't wait to see this done. Is it the 1/350 Fujimi kit? Which aftermarket are you using?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Gewehr 43 posted:

Edit: there are 179 ready lockers of two different types, each of which has six connection points to the fret leaving 1074 points to cut. Because of the way they're shaped and laid out on the fret, you can't use scissors to cut multiple off at one time.

This does nothing to dispel my stereotype of boat modelers.

Armor and plane modelers might argue over Russian Green until the heat death of the universe, but only the boat people will hand fold 379 photo-etch crates after painstakingly trimming them off one by one.

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

Before I start ship modeling I didn't understand the compulsion for ship modellers to spend as much again - if not twice as much - on aftermarket than the base kits. But now I do, and I spend it regularly. Sometimes I buy aftermarket detail sets for kits I don't even own yet on the basis that if I ever do buy the kit I'd probably never be able to find the detail set for it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gewehr 43 posted:

lmao jack that noise but good on you for having the patience.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

tidal wave emulator posted:

Before I start ship modeling I didn't understand the compulsion for ship modellers to spend as much again - if not twice as much - on aftermarket than the base kits. But now I do, and I spend it regularly. Sometimes I buy aftermarket detail sets for kits I don't even own yet on the basis that if I ever do buy the kit I'd probably never be able to find the detail set for it.

I really, really want a wood shop so I can scratch build hulls.

My initial project was to build a model of every ship I’ve worked on. I’ve worked on something like 23 ships. None of them have commercially available kits.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

FrozenVent posted:

My initial project was to build a model of every ship I’ve worked on. I’ve worked on something like 23 ships. None of them have commercially available kits.

Not even the same class that you can modify after the fact?

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

A guy in my model club scratch builds ships he's worked on (mainly offshore oil & gas support vessels he's found the original plans for) by building up lots of horizontal layers of plasticard cut to size, almost like slices similar to how a 3D printer works.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Gewehr 43 posted:

That is a prime use case for "just make a little resin cast".

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

You might have to repaint but it's pretty close!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Warmachine posted:

Not even the same class that you can modify after the fact?

Nothing anywhere close, no. There’s a dearth of modern cargo ships models out there.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I'd totally build a model container ship, if there was anything over than the Revell Colombo Express kit.

I want an Evergreen F.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Sash! posted:

I'd totally build a model container ship, if there was anything over than the Revell Colombo Express kit.

I want an Evergreen F.

I'm torn between surprise that no one produced one when the whole canal thing happened, and not being surprised at all that a largely traditional hobby let this opportunity slip. It does feel strange given that, for example, there are plenty of civilian aircraft, and trains are primarily civilian, but despite the merchant marine being the vast majority of ocean traffic there's very little representation in the model space.

I almost said "missed the boat."

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.

quote:

The IS-3 crapbuild was from 2015. I'm sure it made it into the thread....

Hah! Found it. If you want to see IS-3 crapbuild stuff, July and August 2015 are when you wanna look.

The tracks are the kind you need to heat-crimp together.

Group builds sure seem like fun. I enjoyed reading that!

quote:

:dogstare: Madness made manifest. Model ship builders are a different kind. How do you keep your sanity?

I tried to prime my newest build with the ammo mig one shot primer. I had to thin it so much it took me a whole hour to prime two dozen little pieces.
I think I will keep using the Rustoleum rattle can primer and get it done in literally seconds. The finish seems just as fine. Maybe there's some advantage I'm missing.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

therunningman posted:

Group builds sure seem like fun. I enjoyed reading that!

Who wants to do a crapgun group build? They're like two bucks from AliExpress and come out surprisingly well.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003453764179.html

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

tidal wave emulator posted:

Man I can't wait to see this done. Is it the 1/350 Fujimi kit? Which aftermarket are you using?

Yep, that's the kit. The aftermarket is the Pontos set with wooden deck. It's my first go at a wooden deck, but after some testing on some scrap, I think I have the process down for affixing it to the plastic deck. I've got the hull painted, so I'm going to weather it, then stick the deck down and carry on with the build from there. I have to say, the instructions for the Pontos kit leave a bit to be desired. I've already run into some wildly incorrect part number call outs and the illustrations of where microscopic part number 2839 goes are woefully inadequate. I've done one other Pontos set before and I recall their instructions being a lot better. :/

Arquinsiel posted:

That is a prime use case for "just make a little resin cast".

A 3d printer would just be the bee's knees for this, let me tell ya. Ugh.

Cthulu Carl posted:

I can't tell if I should be impressed or reporting this post for self-harm.

I hope the model turns out awesome, either way.

Thanks. :) The good news is that I can step away from these for a while and do other stuff on the kit so as to break up some of the more tedious work. That said, processes like this are in line with the classic "how do you eat an elephant" question. One bite at a time.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Ensign Expendable posted:

Who wants to do a crapgun group build? They're like two bucks from AliExpress and come out surprisingly well.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003453764179.html

Seconded

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Warmachine posted:

I'm torn between surprise that no one produced one when the whole canal thing happened, and not being surprised at all that a largely traditional hobby let this opportunity slip. It does feel strange given that, for example, there are plenty of civilian aircraft, and trains are primarily civilian, but despite the merchant marine being the vast majority of ocean traffic there's very little representation in the model space.

I almost said "missed the boat."

There's also huge variety in the fleets, even if they do all sort of look the same.

Like I want an Evergreen F because they're common in the ports I see and I have a bunch of pictures of the Ever Far. Also, the Ever Forward grounded off Annapolis a few months ago and got a little notoriety out of it. Evergreen alone has five classes in their fleet right now.

Revell did the Colombo Express when it was the largest one in the world, back in 2005. Now it is a baby. The Evergreen Fs are the same size and there's 18 classes across the global fleet that are bigger.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Sash! posted:

There's also huge variety in the fleets, even if they do all sort of look the same.

Like I want an Evergreen F because they're common in the ports I see and I have a bunch of pictures of the Ever Far. Also, the Ever Forward grounded off Annapolis a few months ago and got a little notoriety out of it. Evergreen alone has five classes in their fleet right now.

Revell did the Colombo Express when it was the largest one in the world, back in 2005. Now it is a baby. The Evergreen Fs are the same size and there's 18 classes across the global fleet that are bigger.

Huh... well, that probably explains why. I guess there's not a lot of standardization in the merchant marine, at least at the hull level? Any resources you'd recommend for learning a bit more about the variance in merchant ship fleets? The topic has piqued my interest.

And unrelated to that, if I wanted to give ship modeling a shot, does anyone have a recommendation for a beginner? Either military or commercial.

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

Gewehr 43 posted:

I have to say, the instructions for the Pontos kit leave a bit to be desired. I've already run into some wildly incorrect part number call outs and the illustrations of where microscopic part number 2839 goes are woefully inadequate. I've done one other Pontos set before and I recall their instructions being a lot better. :/

I love how PE instructions vary from Eduard, Flyhawk etc giving you the details of every individual fold and which plastic parts to replace, through the likes of Rainbow, Five Star etc where you're lucky if they even give you a leaflet with some blurry photos of all the etch folded up and glued into place.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I'm thinking about starting weathering kits and I'd really just kind of like someone to critique what I was thinking. From what I have read you want to start with some kind of basic wash or staining to get rid of the factory-fresh appearance of the basic paint job. After that something like sponging or brushing irregular edges and corners to simulate wear-and-tear of the the armor/machinery most likely to be exposed. After that finally some kind of paint or marker for things like oil streaks and stains coming from vents/machinery. Anything I missed here or should consider? It all seems pretty straight-forward from the videos I've watched. I'm in the UK so Tamiya enamels aren't really an option (would have to import) but even if Humbrol's enamel quality isn't great since it's a wash that shouldn't be a huge issue I assume.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Pierson posted:

I'm thinking about starting weathering kits and I'd really just kind of like someone to critique what I was thinking. From what I have read you want to start with some kind of basic wash or staining to get rid of the factory-fresh appearance of the basic paint job. After that something like sponging or brushing irregular edges and corners to simulate wear-and-tear of the the armor/machinery most likely to be exposed. After that finally some kind of paint or marker for things like oil streaks and stains coming from vents/machinery. Anything I missed here or should consider? It all seems pretty straight-forward from the videos I've watched. I'm in the UK so Tamiya enamels aren't really an option (would have to import) but even if Humbrol's enamel quality isn't great since it's a wash that shouldn't be a huge issue I assume.

I'll let the more experienced folks comment on specifics, but I can offer the general rule-zero for doing any new technique for the first time: try it on a piece of scrap first. Whether this is something from your bits box that is a rough approximation of what you're trying to weather, or just a spoon, it's a good idea to practice on something you can throw away before trying it on your project.

Oh, and because someone in the plammo thread did this: if you screw up a model to the point where you don't want to work on it anymore/don't want to finish it, throw it in your bits bin, not the trash. You never know when it will be a unwilling donor of practice pieces or greebling for something you actually care about.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Spent a not insignificant time tinkering with the Tiger and have been able to get the running gear working nice and smoothly. It’s meant the track tension is a tiny bit loose than I like the look of but it works right and that’s the important thing.

https://i.imgur.com/FHTc3jQ.mp4

Interestingly as well with its new tracks it’s quite capable of mounting high obstacles, such as the floor beam that separates my dining area from the kitchen. With the previous tracks it could only scale the beam without something to give it a step up if I approached at a 45 degree angle at speed.

https://i.imgur.com/u9dtPhn.mp4

Not going to make a habit of it though as it hits the beam sprocket first and there’s no suspension or shock absorption.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Warmachine posted:

Huh... well, that probably explains why. I guess there's not a lot of standardization in the merchant marine, at least at the hull level? Any resources you'd recommend for learning a bit more about the variance in merchant ship fleets? The topic has piqued my interest.

There’s basically no standardization. Function defines form so they’re all similar for a particular application, but a bigclass of ships will have maybe eight hulls? And that’s huge. And they’ll still have somewhat significant variance between sister ships, especially as they age / get sold off to other owners.

I’ve sailed on something like 20 ships, of those two were identical, two started off similar but got modified very differently, and the rests were either one offs or I didn’t sail on the sister-ships.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Spent a not insignificant time tinkering with the Tiger and have been able to get the running gear working nice and smoothly. It’s meant the track tension is a tiny bit loose than I like the look of but it works right and that’s the important thing.

Interestingly as well with its new tracks it’s quite capable of mounting high obstacles, such as the floor beam that separates my dining area from the kitchen. With the previous tracks it could only scale the beam without something to give it a step up if I approached at a 45 degree angle at speed.

Not going to make a habit of it though as it hits the beam sprocket first and there’s no suspension or shock absorption.
When in motion it looks exactly like I'd expect, so I guess most models are built to represent that.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

The camera shake is a neat effect. You need to run this through some scale tundra.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Motion carried! I hereby announce the Aliexpress Arsenal crapkit group build!

The rules are simple: build (and maybe even paint) a 1:6 scale weapon. You're not limited to AliExpress, but they offer a number of cheap and simple kits that you can spend time polishing and scribing or just lop it off the sprue and slap it together without as much as sanding. The choice is yours!

If you're going the AliExpress route, there is a huge variety of stores that sell these kits. The search term "4D Gun Puzzle" brings up a ton of options. I ordered from these guys, but there's no shortage stores that stock them. You can even get a pegboard to display your results.

Timeframe: since shipping is a crapshoot and someone might want to take the time to really polish their weapon, we can take some time with this. Let's aim to have our guns out by September 1st, 2023

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
Ausgoon modellers: Metro Hobbies / Bandai Star Wars competition with a first prize of the Bandai PG Millennium Falcon

Kind of sucks that it has to be Bandai models, I’ve got a couple of tiny Revell Star Destroyers and a great diorama idea I’ve been getting around to building for ages. It would’ve been a good excuse to finally do it.

e: a word

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Arquinsiel posted:

When in motion it looks exactly like I'd expect, so I guess most models are built to represent that.

It seems to be one of the things that varies depending on the individual tank. The accepted standard for correct tension on both the 1:16 and real tanks is having the upper track touching the second set of road wheels. Product images typically show tanks with the tracks touching the third set of road wheels, and if you have plastic tracks they don’t sag at all and look taut the whole way.

Mine hasn’t thrown a track at all yet so I think I’ve nailed it.

Darth Brooks posted:

The camera shake is a neat effect. You need to run this through some scale tundra.

My phone was resting against the beam while being propped up by a jam jar, so the shaking is from the weight of the tank hitting the beam. It’s difficult to measure exactly because the scales I have are meant to measure people and the Tiger is well known for having very low ground pressure and good weight distribution. However I believe it weighs between 5 to 7kg, so it’s quite a hefty bit of kit.

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.

The rules are simple: build (and maybe even paint) a 1:6 scale weapon. You're not limited to AliExpress, but they offer a number of cheap and simple kits that you can spend time polishing and scribing or just lop it off the sprue and slap it together without as much as sanding. The choice is yours!

If you're going the AliExpress route, there is a huge variety of stores that sell these kits. The search term "4D Gun Puzzle" brings up a ton of options. I ordered from these guys, but there's no shortage stores that stock them. You can even get a pegboard to display your results.

Timeframe: since shipping is a crapshoot and someone might want to take the time to really polish their weapon, we can take some time with this. Let's aim to have our guns out by September 1st, 2023

I'm in! Putting in an order for a couple of crapguns.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Lord Ludikrous posted:

this is SO loving COOL :pcgaming:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

There are sellers on ebay with free shipping. Some have deals set up where you get the gun in the listing title and pick a second from a drop-down. You literally just search "1:6 [name of gun] model." example

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Scribing panel lines is the 10th level of Hell.

That is all.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Gewehr 43 posted:

Scribing panel lines is the 10th level of Hell.

That is all.

I used to think this until I got a Tamiya panel scriber. It scribes like a hot knife through butter. It's expensive though. Also I was panel lining in car models so maybe it's much worse for other kinds of models.

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

There are sellers on ebay with free shipping. Some have deals set up where you get the gun in the listing title and pick a second from a drop-down. You literally just search "1:6 [name of gun] model." example

Nice, I got mine ordered. "Expected delivery May 24th".

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

therunningman posted:

Nice, I got mine ordered. "Expected delivery May 24th".

Lol about the same. I assume there's the usual Scotty factor baked into that estimate but I look forward to completely forgetting about it and getting a surprise gift from past me.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
It’s a tough job to actually choose a single gun model but I’m narrowing it down, I like some of the simple shotgun models but also there’s fun stuff like MG42

I also saw these ABS building materials kits while searching for 1:6 kits - it seems like maybe nice to have for scratch building bits and bobs. Does ABS work with normally plastic cement or is it a superglue thing?

PS. There’s the AliExpress buying useless crap thread which is pretty much the same experience vicariously - I ordered a thing, forgot about it, oh look what arrived.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
The MG-42 comes with quite a few parts. I particularly like the flexible vinyl ammo belt, although it will probably be difficult to paint.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The MG-42 comes with quite a few parts. I particularly like the flexible vinyl ammo belt, although it will probably be difficult to paint.

I've been looking at the M2 Browning for my project. I'm going to noodle it over a bit more before making a decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Painted the Zvezda 122 mm M-30 I had in my stash since 2016. This was an old kit even then. The fit is awful, there's flash everywhere, the two halves of the molds don't align. I'm going to put it in a winter diorama to hide the most shameful parts in the snow.