Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Yeah, Impending Day on Sinclair's limitation is that it can only give you EGO resources of the sins that Sinclair's current ID has, or Wrath from using Impending Day itself. Lifetime Stew lets you give the Sin-boosting to an ally, which is neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Project Moon's famous spaghetti code: now with kernel access.

oh god didn't even realize that

it's a joke, cause the only thing with kernel access should be the anti-cheat... I hope

Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
search engine in the world!"
-- The GoogleProg

Junpei posted:

Yeah, Impending Day on Sinclair's limitation is that it can only give you EGO resources of the sins that Sinclair's current ID has, or Wrath from using Impending Day itself. Lifetime Stew lets you give the Sin-boosting to an ally, which is neat.

It also provides much more general utility with the other coin-flip giving an interesting healing option, as opposed to Impending Day's very mid (in my experience) damage with no effects.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
side note, if you look at the art... the EGO gives a lizard tail.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Junpei posted:

On the other hand impending day provides resource gen for the rest of the fight through its permanent passive while the Stew is just a limited-time buff, and only if it flips tails (which is gonna be really unreliable with the buffs to sanity).
Unless the count is really huge it'll probably be more of a "rebate that pays for itself" thing than a "generate infinite resources in advance" thing.

Shastahanshah
Sep 12, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What Wings do we actually know the general purpose of?

ABC is the Head and they're pretty ambiguous, I don't think people are allowed to go into their nest like other corps?

D-E: No idea

F: Fairy

G: Gravity, I think?

H-I: ?

J: The locking thing, I don't know if it has a J name. :v:

K: Kure, healing bullets

L: Formerly Lobotomy, currently vacant

M: Some kind of moon stone that protects against psychic attacks

N: I don't know if we have a name for it either but they're backing nagel und hammer and have 'canned experiences'

O-Q: ?

R: Replicate, they're the prime PMC wing

S: ?

T: Time tech of some kind

UV: ?

W: Warp

XYZ: ?

One of the letters is even more absent than L, but I don't think we know which, do we?

The big thing I wonder though is how much the various wings do business outside the immediate effects of their singularity, like does W Corp make cars or K Corp make other kinds of medicine, or is that something that lesser companies handle?

Also for other big organizations, we know four of the fingers (Thumb is the respect mafia, Index is the fortune cookie cult, Middle appears to be some kind of ultra tight-knit brotherhood and Ring is weird artists, Pinky is unknown) and some of the Associations (Hana is in charge of fixers, Zwei are private security, Shi are assassins, Seven is information, Liu is millitary ala R corp and Oufi is contracts).

Am I missing any?

Shastahanshah fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Apr 17, 2023

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I've always assumed that plenty of businesses in Wings (and in the Backstreets too, natch) don't interact with the Wing in terms of their tech, just purely building space/contract stuff. I'm sure there are plenty of ordinary schools, hospitals, restaurants, TV stations, etc. in the City. We just tend to focus on the ones doing hosed Up Things because that makes for better drama/reveals.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Checking out stuff, it seems the Ruina artbook mentions P Corp uses their singularity to create giant tubs of ice cream, and the Shelter from March mentions a P Company it could be referring to P Corp even if the Shelter is an abnormality. So they make big storage stuff I guess?

Also honestly given we know from 7 Yi Sang's story there's a Cinq Association and also a Tres one I feel like there are 13 in total because until now they've been 100% following the Association - Language - Sinner pattern (Hana - Korean - Yi Sang, Zwei - German - Faust, Tres - Spanish - Don, Shi - Japanese - Ryoshu, Cinq - French - Mersault, Liu - Chinese - Hong Lu, Seven - English - Heathcliff, Ouif - Swiss - Sinclair).

Which would mean the missing ones would be Eight (Ishmael), Devâtʹ (Rodion), Dieci (Dante), Dódeka (Outis) and... whatever language Gregor is meant to be?

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
gregor is also german, even uses a german phrase in chapter 2

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

Shastahanshah posted:

What Wings do we actually know the general purpose of?

XYZ: ?

From the Limbus intro you can see that Z corp doesn't seem to have a nest labeled like the others do, but if they did it would be the outermost one. Based on this, their letter and nothing else I think they're responsible for keeping the Outskirts Out and their singularity is Zone.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Ah, so The City has been part of the STALKER universe all along?

Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
search engine in the world!"
-- The GoogleProg

YES bread posted:

gregor is also german, even uses a german phrase in chapter 2

Gregor is presented with both German and Hebrew for his language, hence the uncertainty: His materials have used them alternately in various contexts. Given that Faust is already German, Gregor will likely be Hebrew to avoid doubling up.

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Checking out stuff, it seems the Ruina artbook mentions P Corp uses their singularity to create giant tubs of ice cream, and the Shelter from March mentions a P Company it could be referring to P Corp even if the Shelter is an abnormality. So they make big storage stuff I guess?

I believe an interview or stream conversation by the developers specified that P has a subtheme of doing foodstuffs and related supplies, hence Shelter being stocked by them. Might be the same artbook reference come to think of it.

Shastahanshah posted:

Am I missing any?

Very early in Ruina Roland mentions getting a U Corp stasis box for carrying food between districts without it going bad / cooling off.

Ariamaki fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Apr 17, 2023

ShoutokuTaisho
Oct 13, 2021

Shastahanshah posted:

N: I don't know if we have a name for it either but they're backing nagel und hammer and have 'canned experiences'

Nagel und Hammer is literally the name of N corp. The ones we see in canto 3 might or might not be a fringe group, but they are acting with the full name of N Corp behind them.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Ariamaki posted:

Gregor is presented with both German and Hebrew for his language, hence the uncertainty: His materials have used them alternately in various contexts. Given that Faust is already German, Gregor will likely be Hebrew to avoid doubling up.

I believe an interview or stream conversation by the developers specified that P has a subtheme of doing foodstuffs and related supplies, hence Shelter being stocked by them. Might be the same artbook reference come to think of it.

Very early in Ruina Roland mentions getting a U Corp stasis box for carrying food between districts without it going bad / cooling off.

Oh, that's the one I was searching for! But all I found on the LP was the mention of the T Corp one that boils meat so I stopped searching.

Also I'm willing to bet N Corp is Nail cause come on, the nails are implied to be how they get their canned experiences.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Shastahanshah posted:

The big thing I wonder though is how much the various wings do business outside the immediate effects of their singularity, like does W Corp make cars or K Corp make other kinds of medicine, or is that something that lesser companies handle?

We know K Corp made augments... but we also know that they valued that little enough that they let another corp kill everyone who was the best at doing that, so it seems like anything outside of their singularity is non-critical.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Idly, are there any events you'd like to fight at some point, like we got with Toad, Tour Guide and My Form Empties?

In no particular order for me, electric centipede thing, umbrella fox, metal bull, paper crane boss, and the married spider couple.

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022
The Vending Machine.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Junpei posted:

and the married spider couple.

That one feels like a Jane Austin reference given that it deals pride damage and gives the prejudice ego gift. I wonder if the sinners aren't the only literature references.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I restarted Lobotomy Corp thanks to Limbus, with the intention to actually finish it this time.

I'm on day 23, spent probably an hour figuring out how the hell [CENSORED] even works, specially crafted an agent to deal with it, and did a long day to grab its weapon.

Then when it was loading the next day, the game crashed and I lost all that progress. :sigh:

It's not the biggest deal ultimately, I really can redo the day much quicker now, but it's just...deflating.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

strongly recommend you close and restart the game regularly, the memory leak just gets worse as the days get longer

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

started limbus and i've never seen a ui so perfectly tell you everything except what you need to know at any given moment

e: also gacha games are still poo poo and it was an astonishingly bad idea to tack one onto this game but the story's good enough that i guess i'll stick with it for a while. what were they thinking though. well i guess they were thinking cartoon dollar signs but still

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Apr 18, 2023

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Yinlock posted:

started limbus and i've never seen a ui so perfectly tell you everything except what you need to know at any given moment

e: also gacha games are still poo poo and it was an astonishingly bad idea to tack one onto this game but the story's good enough that i guess i'll stick with it for a while. what were they thinking though. well i guess they were thinking cartoon dollar signs but still
I know exactly what they were thinking because they explained it somewhere (don't remember where) - live service gacha games are excellent at long-form worldbuilding, and they wanted to do that for the City. Arknights for example is currently juggling a good half dozen or so major plotlines via its events in addition to the main story chapters, all of which flesh out a different part of the world.

Also cartoon dollar signs yes, though I don't think they expected it to be THIS successful.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Yeah, live service (not the GAAS I mean) have that advantage thanks to constant development.

Also they chose this model because of the evils of capitalism requiring money to develop games and gachas are sadly a good revenue source if you have culti- I mean a devoted fanbase.

I just hope they don't fall into greed and end up making Limbis their centerpiece instead of a revenue/worldbuilding tool like what happened to Fate.

watchedclock
Mar 23, 2023
Any ideas about what the golden boughs actually do/are for?

Allegedly they’re the secret behind how lobcorp was able to get energy from abnormalities, and we see in the dungeons that they resonate with the sinners somehow, which is clearly by design; our 12 sinners seem to have been handpicked to have traumatic backstories that will react with the boughs. It seems like the effect doesn’t kick in until the lower floors of each canto’s dungeon though, so my theory is that the golden boughs were causing some sort of weaker resonance with the agents who worked on the abnormalities, and this somehow generated the energy reaction. So maybe that’s why they needed to have humans do the works.

Also I read Leviathan after finishing Canto 3, and drat, Vergilus cannot catch a break.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

watchedclock posted:

Allegedly they’re the secret behind how lobcorp was able to get energy from abnormalities, and we see in the dungeons that they resonate with the sinners somehow, which is clearly by design; our 12 sinners seem to have been handpicked to have traumatic backstories that will react with the boughs. It seems like the effect doesn’t kick in until the lower floors of each canto’s dungeon though, so my theory is that the golden boughs were causing some sort of weaker resonance with the agents who worked on the abnormalities, and this somehow generated the energy reaction. So maybe that’s why they needed to have humans do the works.

Also I read Leviathan after finishing Canto 3, and drat, Vergilus cannot catch a break.

My guess is that they're chunks of Carmen. They look kinda like it.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

GilliamYaeger posted:

I know exactly what they were thinking because they explained it somewhere (don't remember where) - live service gacha games are excellent at long-form worldbuilding, and they wanted to do that for the City. Arknights for example is currently juggling a good half dozen or so major plotlines via its events in addition to the main story chapters, all of which flesh out a different part of the world.

Also cartoon dollar signs yes, though I don't think they expected it to be THIS successful.

it might be good for worldbuilding but it is disasterous for gameplay, especially the bootleg LoR style they've got going on here. good example is the chapter 3 No Fun Allowed Police, in LoR you could just reorganize your strategy and try again, here you have to go through a whole fuckin ordeal to get a new team up to speed(e: or massively overlevel everyone) if you've been relying on slash damage, and that's if you even have alternatives. you can't really do anything interesting with a lovely gacha shackling this gameplay without running into a "whale or die" situation, and given how much PM love their difficulty spikes you know that's going to happen at some point.

also the game is astoundingly stingy with resources in weird ways but i chalk that up to PM clearly have no idea what they're doing on the gacha side

though credit where it's due, the hard limit of 12 characters is a fun idea and ensures that the game doesn't get bogged down by 600+ one-note gifs like most gachas

I just hope they don't fall into greed and end up making Limbis their centerpiece instead of a revenue/worldbuilding tool like what happened to Fate.

this is what I''m most afraid of yeah

e: anyway my bitching aside the worldbuilding is still real good, so mission accomplished? i guess???

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Apr 18, 2023

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Quackles posted:

My guess is that they're chunks of Carmen. They look kinda like it.

I'm guessing they're whatever is left over of The Light, which is the same thing really.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

watchedclock posted:

They're supposedly made of plastic and contain knowledge of Lobotomy Corp and its singularity. If I remember correctly.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Yinlock posted:

it might be good for worldbuilding but it is disasterous for gameplay, especially the bootleg LoR style they've got going on here. good example is the chapter 3 No Fun Allowed Police, in LoR you could just reorganize your strategy and try again, here you have to go through a whole fuckin ordeal to get a new team up to speed(e: or massively overlevel everyone) if you've been relying on slash damage, and that's if you even have alternatives. you can't really do anything interesting with a lovely gacha shackling this gameplay without running into a "whale or die" situation, and given how much PM love their difficulty spikes you know that's going to happen at some point.

Everybody gets the base identities to Uptie III for free though, so you will always have answers for Canto 3 even if you roll no Blunt-focused identities. You might still have to level them up if you haven't used them, true, but getting to late teens or early twenties in level doesn't take very many tickets at all.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Lord_Magmar posted:

They're supposedly made of plastic and contain knowledge of Lobotomy Corp and its singularity. If I remember correctly.

Our brave team slaughters thousands for the greatest prize of all: your aunt's plastic fern

Theantero posted:

Everybody gets the base identities to Uptie III for free though, so you will always have answers for Canto 3 even if you roll no Blunt-focused identities. You might still have to level them up if you haven't used them, true, but getting to late teens or early twenties in level doesn't take very many tickets at all.

True, though the defaults' power level varies greatly from "unstoppable death machine" to "*sad trombone*" so they're not exactly gonna breeze through it. I guess it depends on how they balance things going forward and how our old friend power creep will show it's ugly head.

e: Speaking of defaults shoutouts to Outis who I never pulled any ID for and used on default on a whim in on my first mirror run, only for her to immediately start murdering everything effortlessly.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Apr 18, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yinlock posted:

i mean i dont see how not letting you back out and reorganize your team is due to it being a gacha, and its not like grinding was a problem ruina and lobotomy corp were completly free of.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
You can beat refraction railway in under 120 turns using nothing but base identities and egos, I don't think the gacha is a huge issue at the moment.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Endorph posted:

i mean i dont see how not letting you back out and reorganize your team is due to it being a gacha, and its not like grinding was a problem ruina and lobotomy corp were completly free of.

I meant that reorganizing your team requires significantly more effort in a gacha format. Spending overtime to max out employees and grinding books to retry missions were the worst parts of LC and LOR respectively, I am definitely not claiming it didn't exist.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Cirina posted:

You can beat refraction railway in under 120 turns using nothing but base identities and egos, I don't think the gacha is a huge issue at the moment.

I'm more concerned over things going forward here, because I assume the game will get harder as video games do. Are we going to see more strategic difficulties, in which case the defaults would no longer cut it, or will the base and enemy numbers just slowly increase and thus remove any real strategic vareity? This is what I mean by the format being inherently limiting. I am not implying, in any way, that things are impossible now.

I could also be entirely fuckin wrong and things will turn out fine, I'm not a game designer who gives a poo poo what I think

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean as someone who plays too many gacha games even extremely scummy games tend not to have that problem. if someone gets hardstuck they usually just stop playing instead of going to the gacha. you make characters very slightly stronger or make them offer convenience features, or make them easier to win with, you dont make it so that characters who arent them cant win.

ShoutokuTaisho
Oct 13, 2021

Lord_Magmar posted:

Neoplastic doesn't actually mean made of plastic.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Endorph posted:

i mean as someone who plays too many gacha games even extremely scummy games tend not to have that problem. if someone gets hardstuck they usually just stop playing instead of going to the gacha. you make characters very slightly stronger or make them offer convenience features, or make them easier to win with, you dont make it so that characters who arent them cant win.

Fair enough, I stay away from gacha in general so I'm not exactly speaking from a position of experience here myself

MetaMeme
Apr 30, 2017

You may boorishly refer to it as "Pickpocketing", but I prefer "Urban Foraging".

i have no doubt in my mind that what happened to fate and Type-Moon will happen to Projmoon

i also wouldn't mind if projmoon released a 800k word DD vn with some of the worst sex scene translations ever put to prose either though so really it's a wash

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

Cirina posted:

drat and the best I can do over here is 131, guess I really am just bad at video games. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont really get acting like the entirety of fate died besides for fgo lol. they put out extella, extella link, a bunch of anime and manga that were unrelated to fgo (besides being in the fate franchise), that terrible cooking with emiya game, the tsukihime remake, melty blood, etc. im pretty sure more non-fgo fate content has come out since fgo came out than before it.