Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

jerman999 posted:

Game of thrones mod is out and it’s good

Can you recommend me an interesting count to play as in the GoT mod?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
How is Muslim ruler gameplay right now on ck3 compared to ck2? Thinking about praising ol Allah for my next run, but I’ll skip if its only half baked

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Captain Beans posted:

How is Muslim ruler gameplay right now on ck3 compared to ck2? Thinking about praising ol Allah for my next run, but I’ll skip if its only half baked

Boring, imo

Government type is la simpler, dumber version of feudal. The rest is pretty much the same as playing christian feudal, with a few religious quirks

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop
I hate Clan. You get big negative modifiers for not having alliances with them all, and there's a point in the game where those alliances are just dragging you into endless wars (or taking big Fame hits). And to get those alliances you are expected to have a bunch of kids (making early Partition annoying) and marry them off (they generally won't accept matrilineal and they are generally Male Only titles anyway).

I'm currently playing a game where I started as a custom (purely for Witch) Coptic character south of Egypt to start Feudal, swore fealty to the Abbasids and then immediately got Religious Protection and converted to Kushite and reformed it.

I am now 5 times larger than the next biggest vassal - the plan is to eat away almost all of them before doing a Dissolution. I'm not sure if claiming his existing title would turn me Clan so I want to avoid that. I've also purposely avoided Jerusalem so I don't get Crusaded but strangely, I took Rome and the Pope hasn't yet gotten mad.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Clan isn't really any different from feudal at the moment. The next flavor pack has promised improvements but that's several months away.

It is better than CK2 because decadence sucked, IMO, but there's nothing really to it.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Hellioning posted:

Clan isn't really any different from feudal at the moment.

did they give them contracts instead of taxes and levies being relationship based?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

did they give them contracts instead of taxes and levies being relationship based?

There are contracts, but you can only change a few things. Taxes and levies are still relationship based.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Hop scotched my way with Haesteinn from Sardinia, to east Africa, and eventually to Sri Lanka. Then I raided and conquered my way through most of the Deccan Empire before hybridizing with Tamil and then converting to Hindu. Now I'm the Chakravarti with a light skinned North Germanic guy named Bjornbjorn. It's a lot easier to get that than starting as some count or duke in the middle of the continent like I did before.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/PdxInteractive/status/1647902448227328001?s=20

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Imagine if you were my brother.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

My granddad watched soap operas and historical dramas, that's easy.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Bird in a Blender posted:

Hop scotched my way with Haesteinn from Sardinia, to east Africa, and eventually to Sri Lanka. Then I raided and conquered my way through most of the Deccan Empire before hybridizing with Tamil and then converting to Hindu. Now I'm the Chakravarti with a light skinned North Germanic guy named Bjornbjorn. It's a lot easier to get that than starting as some count or duke in the middle of the continent like I did before.

I’m doing this right now the “hard” way: Chola resurgence. Tried Pandya a couple months ago and got bored. It’s 950 and I only just recently got the Tamil kingdom. Kind of a slow RP-ish burn for me at the moment. I’m sure when it truly starts to snowball it’ll all be over in less than 75 years…

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Remember when the British got us hooked on tea

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Imagine if you were my brother.

I will never understand the incest fetish. The fact that A Perfect Circle, which sounds incredibly difficult to accomplish, has 1% completion rate, and more people have had an inbred child trait than have diverged a culture makes me feel kind of weird about human beings.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Given how few people have the "get married" achievement it's much more likely that only a small subset of people are playing Ironman at all.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

MikeC posted:

I will never understand the incest fetish. The fact that A Perfect Circle, which sounds incredibly difficult to accomplish, has 1% completion rate, and more people have had an inbred child trait than have diverged a culture makes me feel kind of weird about human beings.

I do a lot of incest in this game but I swear is not for a fetish or anything

I just like really making supermen with the best perks and really high stats and marrying inside the family is often the easiest and surest way to do that

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

MikeC posted:

I think you need to own Royal Court to diverge culture and get that achievement while inbred achievement requires only base game.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

Given how few people have the "get married" achievement it's much more likely that only a small subset of people are playing Ironman at all.

Also, given the specific example, "have an inbred child" was available at the start while "create a divergent culture" didn't come along until Royal Court.

Edit: beaten

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Once your dynasty gets large and powerful enough incest becomes inevitable.

In my Islamic Russia almost every single fief in the empire was held by one of dozens of cadet branches of the Rurikid dynasty and since Clan government is based on alliances between vassals they were constantly intermarrying further diluting the already shallow genepool.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Apr 17, 2023

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Elias_Maluco posted:

I do a lot of incest in this game but I swear is not for a fetish or anything

Is this too long for a thread title?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

FreudianSlippers posted:

Once your dynasty gets large and powerful enough incest becomes inevitable.

In my Islamic Russia almost every single fief in the empire was held by one of dozens of cadet branches of the Rurikid dynasty and since Clan government is based on alliances between vassals they were constantly intermarrying further diluting the already shallow genepool.

Getting the warning about being related is inevitable, but I rarely have any issues with inbred traits or anything. The game is way too sensitive about giving out the inbred warning, IMO. I'll get that when marrying like 4th cousins, or sometimes I can't even tell where the family connections are. The chances of getting negative traits from inbreeding at even the 2nd cousin level are really small. I generally don't even worry about it, but I do tend to avoid marrying 1st cousins just to be safe.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

MikeC posted:

I've never done it myself, but it's the reputation the game has, partially due to the reputation the period/nobility has.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I've never done it myself, but it's the reputation the game has, partially due to the reputation the period/nobility has.

He ain't called Charles the Bewitched for nothing.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah the inbreeding warning is stupid, it would make far more sense to have it based on some cultural standard for what level of consanguinity was acceptable, warn above that, say nothing below.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah the inbreeding warning is stupid, it would make far more sense to have it based on some cultural standard for what level of consanguinity was acceptable, warn above that, say nothing below.

Like I have done cousin marriages in the game...and I still feel wierd when I click accept.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

PittTheElder posted:

At the very least it would be nice if it told you how close your nearest common ancestor is. A lot of the time when I get the warning I can't figure out how they're related because they're in two different dynasties and trying to trace between them is a huge pain. Closest shared ancestor wouldn't be a perfect solution since a couple can be related in multiple different ways but it would at least give you a broad sense of how serious the inbreeding risk actually is.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
It is especially galling when it's someone whose nearest common ancestor was about 150 years ago.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

The Cheshire Cat posted:

At the very least it would be nice if it told you how close your nearest common ancestor is. A lot of the time when I get the warning I can't figure out how they're related because they're in two different dynasties and trying to trace between them is a huge pain. Closest shared ancestor wouldn't be a perfect solution since a couple can be related in multiple different ways but it would at least give you a broad sense of how serious the inbreeding risk actually is.

A feature I really wanted in this game is to be able to select 2 characters and have the game plot their genealogical tree to a common ancestor (if they have one)

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Would be nice for those "wait how did they inherit this?" cases.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

new dev diary - new weddings, feasts, blots, meeting peers

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Liking what they're showing us of the expansion thus far. New events should be a shot in the arm.

Something I hate, hate hate about the game at present is that always at a certain point, most of the events, notifications, that I receive are somehow connected to a hostile scheme against my family or my character. Most and also, too many. This may also be connected to having a very skilled Spy Master or just a lot of family. Unsure. I don't mind the existence of hostile schemes, though I find the quantity and courtiers' preoccupation with them to be overdone and often, nonsensical.

Tell me less. Show me less. If they're not me or my heir, or highlighted as a character of interest: let me find out in a different way. In my own way, if I want. But usually, I don't care.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Dorkopotamis posted:

Liking what they're showing us of the expansion thus far. New events should be a shot in the arm.

Something I hate, hate hate about the game at present is that always at a certain point, most of the events, notifications, that I receive are somehow connected to a hostile scheme against my family or my character. Most and also, too many. This may also be connected to having a very skilled Spy Master or just a lot of family. Unsure. I don't mind the existence of hostile schemes, though I find the quantity and courtiers' preoccupation with them to be overdone and often, nonsensical.

Tell me less. Show me less. If they're not me or my heir, or highlighted as a character of interest: let me find out in a different way. In my own way, if I want. But usually, I don't care.

Basically, they need to return the multi-tier messenger system and outliner of CK2, where you could pick what messages and alerts get shown for which kind of character in a whole bunch of automated and manually managed categories.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
It's gotten streamlined away in their post-EU4 games kinda like the ledger because there is literally no way to make it neat and easy to use but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be there.

As good as Stellaris/CK3/V3 have been they are worse off for having basically zero control over notification spam.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Dallan Invictus posted:

It's gotten streamlined away in their post-EU4 games kinda like the ledger because there is literally no way to make it neat and easy to use but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be there.

As good as Stellaris/CK3/V3 have been they are worse off for having basically zero control over notification spam.

True. CK2 system wanst great cause you have to manually disable so many notifications I would usually give up before disabling all I didint wanna see

But at least it was there

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

I'd like if they made it so the AI just didn't launch schemes that have a less than say, 50% chance of succeeding. My courtiers are all constantly scheming against each other and they succeed like, 1% of the time. It just feels so pointless.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

SlothBear posted:

I'd like if they made it so the AI just didn't launch schemes that have a less than say, 50% chance of succeeding. My courtiers are all constantly scheming against each other and they succeed like, 1% of the time. It just feels so pointless.

That would be a great change. It would also be nice to be able to join in when my spymaster discovers one, instead of only being able to expose it

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
it rocks that when describing the bloody wedding mechanic they took pains to provide historical examples to deflect criticism that they were just copying game of thrones lol

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Elias_Maluco posted:

True. CK2 system wanst great cause you have to manually disable so many notifications I would usually give up before disabling all I didint wanna see

But at least it was there

It also had pretty extensive settings to just nuke entire classes of notifications from the get-go, but the interface for doing so was… not pretty. But drat it was powerful, especially in terms of letting you keep tabs of targets of whatever thing you wanted to do so you could pick a good time to strike.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Tippis posted:

It also had pretty extensive settings to just nuke entire classes of notifications from the get-go, but the interface for doing so was… not pretty. But drat it was powerful, especially in terms of letting you keep tabs of targets of whatever thing you wanted to do so you could pick a good time to strike.

The issue with all the intrigue/spymaster related events is that they're not notifications, they're events that require a decision. A decision that is still mostly inconsequential.

Even a CK2 style notification filter wouldn't solve the problem of being harassed by your Spymaster every second of every day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Dorkopotamis posted:

The issue with all the intrigue/spymaster related events is that they're not notifications, they're events that require a decision. A decision that is still mostly inconsequential.

Even a CK2 style notification filter wouldn't solve the problem of being harassed by your Spymaster every second of every day

True enough, but with a good enough of a framework for filtering, that opens up a pretty darn trivial remedy: treat them as events — I don't care about not-me-plots so let me just tick this little checkbox and the spymaster can go boil his head or something equally productive rather than pause my game over nothing.

I seem to recall that it was possible to filter some decision-related pop-ups in the old system, but of course, that would depend on when those were added to the game in relation to when the filter and message tiering were added, and to what extent later additions decided to make use of that framework for communicating with the player. It probably was/would be a huge faff to back-port all existing [thing that happen] to fit any such change.