Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

“oh she’s just a bloated whale”

And another thing! Star Trek: Picard cheerleaders are really pushing "the fat one" as a nickname for the D and, yeah, I know it's from the bar scene earlier in the season, but, as the kids like to say, I can't even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

apatheticman posted:

Someone is upset you forgot to mention them.

They would like to have a word.

Edit- I guess he's a carry over...

Gowron is less a villain and more the Most Klingon to ever Klingon, and he has redeemable qualities like how he treated Quark for showing courage. He's a goofy dork traditionalist who just happens to be opposed to Worf and Martok, and thus a problem.

Don't get me wrong, he's an rear end in a top hat, but a lovable goofy rear end in a top hat who occasionally has good qualities.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

TulliusCicero posted:

Gowron is less a villain and more the Most Klingon to ever Klingon, and he has redeemable qualities like how he treated Quark for showing courage. He's a goofy dork traditionalist who just happens to be opposed to Worf and Martok, and thus a problem.

Don't get me wrong, he's an rear end in a top hat, but a lovable goofy rear end in a top hat who occasionally has good qualities.

Well that and he's a slimy politician, which is how we were introduced to him originally. Sometimes it makes him shrewd, sometimes it makes him an awful leader like worrying that Martok would be more popular.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

And another thing! Star Trek: Picard cheerleaders are really pushing "the fat one" as a nickname for the D and, yeah, I know it's from the bar scene earlier in the season, but, as the kids like to say, I can't even.

Terry’s particular brand of nostalgia is so weirdly juvenile and surface level and it really comes out in lines like that.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yeah well where were all you D-loving motherfuckers in the decades before this last episode aired, huh?

“Oh she’s too ugly”, “oh she’s lopsided”, “oh she’s just a bloated whale” for 25 years straight while you heaped praise upon the E.

So while you pretend to gush over the D now, know that you may hide your lies from everyone else but you can never hide them from me. :colbert:

I will always be bitter about how the D went out in Generations. If it had survived, they could have had given her an awesome death in First Contact.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

TerminalRaptor posted:

I will always be bitter about how the D went out in Generations. If it had survived, they could have had given her an awesome death in First Contact.

For that and the weird mismatched uniforms I happily ignore anything after All Good Things with regards to the TNG crew:coal:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
They look the exact same

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

As long as we're dogpiling on Generations, the saucer crash never looked good to me. It's like that footage of pre-teen Spielberg improvising special effects in the Arizona desert with his friends and we all forgive it because it's kids on zero budget. Except it's a needless destruction of an iconic ship that was practically a cast member, because the mounting points were notoriously off-balance for blue screen passes?

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

The worst part of Generations was the line "Oh, poo poo!" because one of the guys in our friend group at the time quoted that more often than people said "My wife." And he'd stare until we chuckled. Trekkies are really weird.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Mooseontheloose posted:

Well that and he's a slimy politician, which is how we were introduced to him originally. Sometimes it makes him shrewd, sometimes it makes him an awful leader like worrying that Martok would be more popular.

This too^

Gowron is like an Onion

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yeah well where were all you D-loving motherfuckers in the decades before this last episode aired, huh?

“Oh she’s too ugly”, “oh she’s lopsided”, “oh she’s just a bloated whale” for 25 years straight while you heaped praise upon the E.

So while you pretend to gush over the D now, know that you may hide your lies from everyone else but you can never hide them from me. :colbert:

The D rocks.

The E just rocks harder :v:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

nine-gear crow posted:

The D rocks.

The E just rocks harder :v:

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
The F isn't terrible but do any of the ships with big black surfaces actually look better for it?

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Somebody in one of these threads once noted how the D is at its best when it LOOMS. It's meant to be awe-inspiring in its scale. Gotta remember, each nacelle is (edit; almost) as long as the Eiffel Tower is tall. You can fit most sports stadiums in the footprint of the dorsal phaser strip.

Also, I just rewatched the saucer crash on YouTube. According to the comments, I was wrong. It's apparently the greatest achievement in the history of practical effects.

Nice Tuckpointing! fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Apr 18, 2023

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

maybealabia posted:

The F isn't terrible but do any of the ships with big black surfaces actually look better for it?

The only part of the F that doesn't feel right to me is the depth of the star drive section. I don't know why, but I feel like it should dip down more, like the Excelsior class.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The only part of the F that doesn't feel right to me is the depth of the star drive section. I don't know why, but I feel like it should dip down more, like the Excelsior class.

I don't like the curve of the nacelle pylons when viewed from head on, but otherwise I think the F looks pretty cool.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
The F had really grown on me the more I saw if it. My head canon was that it harkened back to the D in terms of scale and luxury.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TerminalRaptor posted:

The F had really grown on me the more I saw if it. My head canon was that it harkened back to the D in terms of scale and luxury.

Yeah, the F seems like it's a giant heavily armed luxury cruise ship. Because the Federation's major foes in the Alpha Quadrant and beyond are now either friends (the Klingons, some Romulans), or broken bits of has-been empires (the Cardassians, the Dominion, the Borg, the rest of the Romulans), so Starfleet can just kind of go back to peaceful lackadaisical expiration.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

As long as we're dogpiling on Generations, the saucer crash never looked good to me. It's like that footage of pre-teen Spielberg improvising special effects in the Arizona desert with his friends and we all forgive it because it's kids on zero budget. Except it's a needless destruction of an iconic ship that was practically a cast member, because the mounting points were notoriously off-balance for blue screen passes?

Somewhere, I have a set of original TNG collector cards that came out in like the first or second season of the show. What's really cool is one of the cards details the emergency landing procedure for the saucer section, including noting it would not be recoverable. I don't recall ever seeing the possibility mentioned anywhere else, official and non-official, until they decided to do it in Generations.

However, a sci-fi pet peeve of mine is having ships collide or crash and remain mostly intact. At the speed a ship would be going, and the forces involved, I don't care what the hull is made out of, it's going to be in pieces over several miles.

E: found it
https://www.collectors.com/trading-...958078436695923
Apparently they came out far later in the series than I remember.

TerminalRaptor fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Apr 18, 2023

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

The Odyssey class is great. I like the 'updated' version of it in STO, it's the refit of the Odyssey and what the current Enterprise is there.

I'm not into the Nasacore color scheme, but I do like how it has that deeper star drive, it looks more right. Sadly it comes with those stupid extended impulse engines which look awful but STO ship barbie is a land of contrasts. There's also another variant that has a circular saucer and if you combine them you can kind of picture it as an enlarged and updated Excelsior.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Ent-F: :haw:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The F is short for “gently caress”

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

TerminalRaptor posted:

Somewhere, I have a set of original TNG collector cards that came out in like the first or second season of the show. What's really cool is one of the cards details the emergency landing procedure for the saucer section, including noting it would not be recoverable. I don't recall ever seeing the possibility mentioned anywhere else, official and non-official, until they decided to do it in Generations.

However, a sci-fi pet peeve of mine is having ships collide or crash and remain mostly intact. At the speed a ship would be going, and the forces involved, I don't care what the hull is made out of, it's going to be in pieces over several miles.

I have those cards too! The one for Livingston, Picard's fish in his ready room, is the best. But yeah, that saucer procedure is one of the cards, and it's also mentioned in the Technical Manual.

Somehow I can imagine the saucer surviving intact, considering the skeleton framework shown in the Technical Manual, but its impact with the ground would probably send dirt at near-supersonic speeds and, I dunno, seeing a bit of a shockwave coming off of it and an immense amount of dust/smoke trailing the ground behind. Also, I guess transparent aluminum breaks like glass.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Voyager when viewed head-on looks like :haw: wearing a big hat. It even has eyes.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

TulliusCicero posted:

That would require "taking a stand" something Terry knows Star Trek never did, it was about pew pew and pretty ships

...oh wait it wasn't that, it was all about morality and stands all the time

This is why JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure is able to boldly go where Star Trek would never dare.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Somebody in one of these threads once noted how the D is at its best when it LOOMS. It's meant to be awe-inspiring in its scale.

Yup. The show didn’t do it any favors though, since most of the shots used are of the model head-on coming towards the camera. The D looks best in profile or slowly flying over the camera.

I don’t like the Odyssey and the buck tooth deflector makes it so much worse, but it least it has an attempt at actual height and presence. The E is so drat flat and Eaves was so obsessed with giving it “a sense of speed while standing still” that it loses that feeling of “oh drat that’s a big ship” awe. Like, I don’t give a poo poo what the official size of the ship is in meters compared to previous Enterprises, the E looks like a regular run-of-the-mill Starfleet cruiser.

It’s a perfectly competent design, but not as an Enterprise.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

HD DAD posted:

The F is short for “gently caress”

Dave Blass said the crew calls it the "Foxtrox" in-universe so the t-shirts for it say "FOXY" instead of "DISCO" or "RITOS".

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Starting episode 5 and it's off to a stupid start with the dream stuff but also I really like Shaw, like, a lot.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Elder Postsman posted:

Starting episode 5 and it's off to a stupid start with the dream stuff but also I really like Shaw, like, a lot.

Shaw is the one unalloyed good thing about Season 3, yes. There's a lot to it that's Good*, but Shaw is the only part that is Good.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Even in the first episode, when Shaw's eating alone and listening to classical music (TV shorthand for rear end in a top hat), I kept mumbling to myself as Riker and Picard kept trying to hoodwink Shaw:

"He's right."
"Yup."
and
"I mean, yeah, Picard, what did you expect?"

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

TerminalRaptor posted:

I believe that was described in the TNG Technical Manual.

If I remember correctly, it also noted that it was why ships were constructed in orbit as planetary gravity would add to much stress.

Yes the tech manual could be excused as a non primary source (even if it was written by the Okudas and Sternbach in 1991). But that explaination stuck with me as I facepalmed at "James' Kirk" driving his past the "1701's" construction in Iowa.

Bless you all for sticking with this franchise since then. I keep peeking in here and there with smatterings of clips and maybe three full episodes (S1E1 of Picard, Lower Decks, Strange New Worlds) and none of it has worked for me.

It's been dead, dead, dead to me since the end of Enterprise.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Voyager when viewed head-on looks like :haw: wearing a big hat. It even has eyes.

Star Trekkin'

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Professor Beetus posted:

As an idiot child I hated the Lwaxana episodes; as an adult my eyes are open and I recognize that Lwaxana Troi owns, those episodes are great, and that both the character and the actress were absolute queens. Watched "Half a Life" the other day and man did she really nail that pathos after having nothing but comedy episodes up to that point.

:same:

CaptainSkinny posted:

The worst part of Generations was the line "Oh, poo poo!" because one of the guys in our friend group at the time quoted that more often than people said "My wife." And he'd stare until we chuckled. Trekkies are really weird.

The worst part of Generations was when Robert and sweet darling René Picard burned to death horribly.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Trixie Hardcore posted:

The worst part of Generations was when Robert and sweet darling René Picard burned to death horribly.

Too lazy to spend three seconds replicating up a few smoke detector.

Such lazy, lazy people. :(

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The man’s whole entire thing was “gently caress modern contrivances”, I don’t think it’s much of a stretch to assume he didn’t have modern fire prevention at his 19th century chateau

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can
Robert probably tore out the smoke detector around the same time he tore out the home emergency transporter unit and fire suppression system to maintain the property's "historical" charm.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Gonna assume the Borg Queen arranged for their deaths as part of an elaborate plan that is still in the works.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Did they ever explain the cause of that fire? I bet it was a highwayman, even though they haven't been seen in those parts in centuries.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can
I always assumed Rene was practicing his Kolvoord Starburst Maneuver so he could be an Academy LEGEND when his time came.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

maybealabia posted:

This. It looks like your grandpa's running shoes turned into a spaceship.