Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
If you’re only using it for batches, yea, bourbon will be ok. A handle of Evan Williams is what you want.
Whiskey is such a broad category though - scotch or Irish won’t serve you as well. Nobody is going to drink your scotch punch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I have a friend who insists that scotch is not whiskey. And that I am stupid and uncultured for thinking there is any similarity or believing the label

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Scotch isn't whiskey, it's whisky.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Data Graham posted:

I have a friend who insists that scotch is not whiskey. And that I am stupid and uncultured for thinking there is any similarity or believing the label

lol, because labeling is so unrestricted in the US, people can put whatever they want /s

There are some people you won't get through to, no matter how much real information you put in front of them. Better to shake it off with a Jennifer Lawrence thumbs up and move on.

Edit: and yeah, for bar stock, if you're going to have just one whiskey, a Bourbon is the way to go. I saw handles of Evan Williams bonded at Costco for like $40 I think not that long ago. If you're looking for something lighter, but a little more expensive, they also carry handles of Larceny.

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

Rye is kind of like the vanilla ice cream of whiskey. It absolutely does have its own distinct flavor, but it’s a flavor that goes well with basically everything, and that makes it a good default base spirit.

So IMO if you only want to get one whiskey, I’d go with rye over bourbon because you can use it in almost any drink that calls for whiskey (certain scotch drinks notwithstanding).

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I know a little of the differences between bourbon and rye. IIRC, that's just corn mash vs. rye. For scotch/irish i know they are different, but not how. What about Japanese?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Japanese whiskeys run the gamut, because they crib from traditions from all over the world. If I had to give them a general profile, the “average” Japanese whiskey tends towards a lighter flavor with mild floral notes that’s closer to a non-peat forward Scotch, because the most popular whiskey drink in Japan is a highball. That being said, you can find plenty of bourbon style whiskeys, rye, all sorts of blends, etc.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Any opinions on the Kirkland Canadian whiskey as a party mixer liquor? It’s half the price of crown royal

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Anonymous Robot posted:

Japanese whiskeys run the gamut, because they crib from traditions from all over the world. If I had to give them a general profile, the “average” Japanese whiskey tends towards a lighter flavor with mild floral notes that’s closer to a non-peat forward Scotch, because the most popular whiskey drink in Japan is a highball. That being said, you can find plenty of bourbon style whiskeys, rye, all sorts of blends, etc.
I tried a whiskey highball and found it profoundly underwhelming. Maybe the kind of whiskey really does matter but it's my suspicion that the Japanese aren't drinking it so much for the flavor as because it's easy.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

That’s definitely part of it, lengthening the drink to make it more approachable to a people that are more sensitive to alcohol and have less of a liquor culture.

But I think it depends a lot on what you’re drinking. The essential Japanese highball whiskey is Suntory Toki, and it is transformed in a highball. That’s the only way I like it, even. I recently had a bottle of St George’s Baller whiskey, and not surprisingly, it also makes a fantastic highball. You have to be really careful to get your ratio of liquor to soda just right, also.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I drank about a dozen highballs (served in old fashioned rocks glasses) at the last open bar wedding I went to. Monkey Shoulder and club soda will get the job done and yes it’s very easy.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I really take issue with the "a japanese highball uses suntory tiki" thing. It's not the definitive highball whiskey. It never was. Toki was only released in 2016 as a part of a boarder strategy among the japanese whiskey producers that involved dropping many of their lower age statement whiskies in order to be able to produce non-age statement expressions like Toki and Harmony so that they could keep up with the insane spike in demand for japanese whiskey without their whiskeys devolving into the grey market nightmare that Bourbon has become. The massive advertising push for the Toki highball, including the (extremely cool & good) toki highball machine, was a part of that strategy

A japanese highball uses japanese whiskey, and they're definitely better with better whiskies. Toki is fine but it's incredibly generic and broadly appealing by design so you aren't crazy for finding a Toki highball underwhelming.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Fart Car '97 posted:

I really take issue with the "a japanese highball uses suntory tiki" thing. It's not the definitive highball whiskey. It never was. Toki was only released in 2016 as a part of a boarder strategy among the japanese whiskey producers that involved dropping many of their lower age statement whiskies in order to be able to produce non-age statement expressions like Toki and Harmony so that they could keep up with the insane spike in demand for japanese whiskey without their whiskeys devolving into the grey market nightmare that Bourbon has become. The massive advertising push for the Toki highball, including the (extremely cool & good) toki highball machine, was a part of that strategy

A japanese highball uses japanese whiskey, and they're definitely better with better whiskies. Toki is fine but it's incredibly generic and broadly appealing by design so you aren't crazy for finding a Toki highball underwhelming.

Yeah, the highball machine is basically why I said that. My understanding is that they’re extremely common at non-cocktail-focused bars in Japan.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Not as common as the “kakuhai” or Kakubin highball, based on the standard Japanese whiskey found in every convenience store since its intro in like the 40s, also made by Suntory. I think Toki is even export only.

Oh, you meant highball machines. Yes, those are wildly common but usually have Kakubin, unless something’s changed in the last couple years.

Also it’s funny that “more sensitive to alcohol and less of a liquor culture” might be literally true (I suppose) but made me of a double take to make sure we’re still talking about Japan. Shochu and chuhai beg to differ, as do the ten billion salarymen passed out drunk every night near every train station in Tokyo.

Highballs are very good, when well made. They’re good in the same way a really well-made G&T is very good. Not all good things are fancy things.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Scythe posted:

Not all good things are fancy things.

I hear that. I'll take a nice gimlet any day of the week and there are fewer greater pleasures in my life.

What's everyone's favorite simple mixed drinks?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I mean I order a Manhattan as my default at a new place.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

silvergoose posted:

I mean I order a Manhattan as my default at a new place.

This. If they can't make that right then I'll make different choices.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Strange Matter posted:

Americano is my favorite cocktail by a huge margin, probably makes up half of the drinks I consume. Somehow it’s more than the sum of its parts because I’m lukewarm on a Milano Torino and think Negronis kinda suck.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Campari soda is my "I'm not thinking about it" reflexive drink order, moreso in summer. Anywhere that doesn't even have campari (wedding open bar, etc) I'm just getting whiskey + ginger ale

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Manhattans are my favorite go to. Lately, I've been on a simple margarita with a good tequila kick. Really hitting the spot now that the weather's warmed up

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

So I recently got myself a bottle of Creme de Violette to try my hand at an Aviation. I like the liqueur, but I don't like Aviations enough to finish off the bottle any time soon. Any suggestions for drinks to try, preferably not sours? I'm pretty sure a similar question was asked before on this thread, but it was a while back.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Strange Matter posted:

I hear that. I'll take a nice gimlet any day of the week and there are fewer greater pleasures in my life.

I'm a massive dark & stormy fan, also French Connections (2oz cognac/1oz amaretto)

Oh also it's almost scary how much an amaretto sour tastes exactly like pink Starburst, for a nice dessert cocktail

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Qylvaran posted:

So I recently got myself a bottle of Creme de Violette to try my hand at an Aviation. I like the liqueur, but I don't like Aviations enough to finish off the bottle any time soon. Any suggestions for drinks to try, preferably not sours? I'm pretty sure a similar question was asked before on this thread, but it was a while back.

Try Arsenic & Old Lace, it's got similar ingredients but you may like it more.

https://www.diffordsguide.com/cocktails/recipe/5167/arsenic-and-old-lace

2oz gin
1oz bianco vermouth
1tsp absinthe
1tsp creme de violette
⅓oz chilled water, or just shake it a lot
Lemon twist

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Qylvaran posted:

This is a bit out there but it is one of my favorite offbeat cocktails. It isn’t a gestalt so much as a cocktail with a bunch of different flavors you can pick out individually without overwhelming each other

Faded Gentleman
2 oz Gin
1⁄2 oz Crème de Violette
1⁄4 oz Islay Scotch
1 bsp Gran Classico
2 ds Lavender bitters
1 twst Lemon peel (as garnish)

I like Gran Classico but Campari works fine too, it’s it a sine qua non. The original recipe calls for The Botanist but I think it’s a bit of a waste to use such a subtle but nice gin. I just use Bombay East or similar

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Strange Matter posted:

I drank a lot of Mezcal and Tonic over the summer just gone, and I think that's going to be my go-to basically forever now.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Both of those look delicious, thanks! I'm a little gun-shy opening a new bottle of vermouth--I don't actually drink all that often, and my spouse doesn't drink at all. Sweet vermouth gets a pass because I love Manhattans, Negronis, and Boulevardiers.

The Faded Gentleman, on the other hand, has a few ingredients I don't have but wouldn't mind picking up. Gran Classico at least sounds like exactly what I wish Campari was, and that bottle is almost empty.

In simple drinks, I've almost entirely switched from Old-Fashoneds to Manhattans as my go-to. Dark 'n Stormy when I feel like something fizzy.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Qylvaran posted:

Ghost flower.

2 oz light rum
1 oz lime juice
3/4 pineapple juice
1/2 creme de violette
1/2 orgeat
1/2 st. germain

Shake w/ ice and pour.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

Ghost flower.

2 oz light rum
1 oz lime juice
3/4 pineapple juice
1/2 creme de violette
1/2 orgeat
1/2 st. germain

Shake w/ ice and pour.

Yes. This is good.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Strange Matter posted:

Dry gin martini with a twist is about as simple as it goes, and as a Las Vegan I'm constitutionally required to have one in my hand at all times Unless I have a highball or something.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Kingston negroni. Easy drinker, complex, build in glass in like 30 seconds. Hard to beat.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Waltzing Along posted:

Ghost flower.

2 oz light rum
1 oz lime juice
3/4 pineapple juice
1/2 creme de violette
1/2 orgeat
1/2 st. germain

Shake w/ ice and pour.

Seconding that this is very good!

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

my kinda ape posted:

Seconding that this is very good!

I wanted to like it but it just tasted tart and nondescript. Is beefeater a bad gin to use for it?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Pander posted:

I wanted to like it but it just tasted tart and nondescript. Is beefeater a bad gin to use for it?

I just re-read my question and the ghost flower recipe and may have realized my issue.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Pander posted:

Kingston negroni. Easy drinker, complex, build in glass in like 30 seconds. Hard to beat.

:hmmyes:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Pander posted:

I just re-read my question and the ghost flower recipe and may have realized my issue.

It's post sequences like this that make me so happy sometimes

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Going to drop another rec for the Cocktail College podcast here. It’s consistently educational and has a lot of luminaries of the cocktail industry among its guests on the regular. I prefer it to any of the youtube guys doing a similar thing, and listening to it has changed how I make several drinks.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Anonymous Robot posted:

Going to drop another rec for the Cocktail College podcast here. It’s consistently educational and has a lot of luminaries of the cocktail industry among its guests on the regular. I prefer it to any of the youtube guys doing a similar thing, and listening to it has changed how I make several drinks.
I look forward to it every week. The recipes aren’t always to my tastes but typically have something interesting about them that’s worth trying and sometimes they’re incredible. Either way I love the in depth discussions about each ingredient and technique. Concise and precise, exactly what I want in my podcasts.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Can someone recommend a mesh strainer? The one I have tends to clog up while pouring which is kind of annoying. Or is this a normal issue?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I think it’s pretty normal

I keep a spoon around to press the liquid out of the mush

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Maybe give it a rinse between drinks while holding it upside down, if you're not already doing something like that. If it's catching enough solids from one drink that it's stopping the flow of the liquid, I'm curious what you're making