Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Seymour Buttz posted:

Am I missing something or does Universe just change the matches around when you simulate them? Like it’ll book a tag match and when I go to simulate it it becomes a singles match. Or the opponent will completely change.
In previous games at least there would be pre-match attacks from enemies that pave over the booking. Not even sure it’s always related to rivalries, even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It's really hard to do any kind of "draft" in Universe mode since they won't let you clear out too many people from each roster (and if you do, I find, it actually can break your Universe save! Had to start over from scratch on that one.) I suppose MyGM is better for that.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

It's really hard to do any kind of "draft" in Universe mode since they won't let you clear out too many people from each roster (and if you do, I find, it actually can break your Universe save! Had to start over from scratch on that one.) I suppose MyGM is better for that.

MyGM ends up being the opposite. Unless you set the starting budget super high you'll barely end up with enough talent to fill a full card

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Does the number of midcard matches change with difficulty? I tried it out on easy to learn the ropes of the mechanics, and it’s simply opener-midcard-main event, plus two promos. The PPVs add two midcard slots.

I think that ratio actually works pretty well for the default budget - the real week to week minigame of MyGM is managing worker stamina, and as the mode goes on and gets more competitive, the idea is that you end up having to cut it close and field tired workers / risk injuries to keep the edge. I can definitely see that balance breaking much much faster if you have more midcard slots to fill per show, even if you spend money on short contract workers. But Easy’s not great because it seems mechanically impossible to lose viewers show-to-show.

I’m unclear on mechanical aspect of the mode: Are in-ring worker stats that bear on other modes relevant to simming in MyGM? They aren’t visible when you review workers, you only see face/heel status, fighting style, and popularity. The cost of hiring a worker appears reflected in their popularity, but when you’re simming, what’s the major determinant of who actually wins? Does it even make sense to try and push workers who don’t reflect the default card position? If I manually dropped Brock’s popularity would he lose more matches?

One annoying bit of this issue (+ not being able to choose winners even though you can do so in Universe mode) is that there’s no reason you shouldn’t book title matches as often as possible - it boosts match score and there’s no “devaluing the title” (wouldn’t that be funny if a WWE game had that?), but full simming title matches will invariably result in Russo-level hotshotting when ideally, you’re keeping the title inside rivalries for PPV pops.

Idk, it’s weird. Not as finicky as TEW by any stretch but also not wholly getting to the appeal of fantasy booking actually is… maybe because, as someone else here noted, it’s splitting the difference to also be a kind of multiplayer board game. And yet there are things like bonuses for booking match quality on a U curve which seem geared toward smart mark stuff.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Apr 13, 2023

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yep, normal difficulty has 4 matches per card, hard is 5, IIRC.

I will say I did end with a weird case where I couldn't get the title off my heel champ even when I played the matches myself for a bit in my game. I made WALTER unstoppable, which worked really well until I tried to build up KO to take it off him.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Apr 13, 2023

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

why do they sometimes pronounce suplex "correctly" ala solie in wwe 2k? i understand all the reasons you would do that but none of them make any sense now and in wwe. is it an inside joke?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i suppose the two announcers could simply do that irl and have carried it over to the video game. sorry if that's the case. i am not aware

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

Cavauro posted:

i suppose the two announcers could simply do that irl and have carried it over to the video game. sorry if that's the case. i am not aware

Believe it or not there are three commentators. It is insane how generic Byron Saxton can be.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Has commentary improved in the like decade since I've played any variety of sports game? Seems it's never reactive enough and you always end up hearing the same poo poo after a while.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

BurningBeard posted:

Has commentary improved in the like decade since I've played any variety of sports game? Seems it's never reactive enough and you always end up hearing the same poo poo after a while.

I’ve already turned it off. It isn’t so bad in the story mode or whatever where they’re doing scripted dialogue to recap the story etc but in modes where it’s just wrestling it gets old fast.

They also say stupid poo poo like “I don’t know why they did that” if you release a hold to avoid being countered, or “stop wasting time and focus on your opponent” if you’re hyping up the crowd as a babyface.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
One of my gripes with the creative tools is everything being named for the wrestler associated with it (either directly or by wink-wink allusions) gets tricky when you get into, like, lighting and pyro and stuff. (Pyro outright crashed the game for me so I've given up on that.) Previewing is also weird and glitchy, like they got advanced creation working but it's... not entirely stable.

Also a fun glitch is a lot of the lists have "None" or "Default" at the top so sometimes when you scroll to N or D it'll jump back to the start of the list.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

BurningBeard posted:

when i played loads of fifa i changed the commentary to spanish or German. i hope ww2k has that

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Maxwell Lord posted:

One of my gripes with the creative tools is everything being named for the wrestler associated with it (either directly or by wink-wink allusions) gets tricky when you get into, like, lighting and pyro and stuff. (Pyro outright crashed the game for me so I've given up on that.) Previewing is also weird and glitchy, like they got advanced creation working but it's... not entirely stable.

Also a fun glitch is a lot of the lists have "None" or "Default" at the top so sometimes when you scroll to N or D it'll jump back to the start of the list.

What bothers me about the lighting is there's no descriptor of what they are, you just have to know what color lighting every wrestler has. Also there's like 35 generic lights that are just "Lighting 15, Lighting 16" so you have to select every single option one by one and wait for them to load and then watch the whole entrance animation happen and it fuckin SUCKS. Creation stuff still takes way too drat long.

Also custom videos just don't work anymore, if you make a custom tron it just shows a black screen which is weird cause they worked fine in 2k22.

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

I made a freakishly tall woman in the WWE 2k23 career thing and found it hilarious but also it made things look very weird so I tried to do basically the opposite and make the smaller possible character and found out that the shortest character you can make is 4 inches taller than Katana Chance, lol

Also, I mostly use WWE 2k23 to run CPU fights with a bunch of CAWS to decide where my gaming group is going to eat and it's been a real pain in the rear end trying to keep everything somewhat balanced. Does anyone know if the personality traits thing affects the CPU logic or if that's purely for the Universe mode storylines?

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

CHaKKaWaKka posted:

I made a freakishly tall woman in the WWE 2k23 career thing and found it hilarious but also it made things look very weird so I tried to do basically the opposite and make the smaller possible character and found out that the shortest character you can make is 4 inches taller than Katana Chance, lol

Also, I mostly use WWE 2k23 to run CPU fights with a bunch of CAWS to decide where my gaming group is going to eat and it's been a real pain in the rear end trying to keep everything somewhat balanced. Does anyone know if the personality traits thing affects the CPU logic or if that's purely for the Universe mode storylines?

I have a theory that the height setting doesn't actually make CAWs proportionally taller/shorter, it just literally scales the model up or down, so if you make a female CAW that's taller than like 5'8" they look like a giant compared to every woman in the game. If you max out a CAW's height they'll literally walk around on buckled legs cause the animations were clearly never intended to be used on a character that big.

For Personality Traits, it's pretty much just CPU logic. The sliders basically determine how often they'll use weapons, use taunts, go out of the ring, etc. I don't think they have any impact on Universe Mode whatsoever.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Have any of the PC guys modded a female CAW's height to below 5'4? Because yeah, there's gotta be some funny 2K stuff going on if that's the minimum in-game, probably with the animations

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Seymour Buttz posted:

Am I missing something or does Universe just change the matches around when you simulate them? Like it’ll book a tag match and when I go to simulate it it becomes a singles match. Or the opponent will completely change.

I've noticed this is happening with Rivalry matches, which will list just the participants in the rivalry but the actual match might have something different- like it'll be a singles match with members of rival tag teams, or it'll be one person in a rivalry against some other opponent but their rival shows up after the match, etc.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

I've noticed this is happening with Rivalry matches, which will list just the participants in the rivalry but the actual match might have something different- like it'll be a singles match with members of rival tag teams, or it'll be one person in a rivalry against some other opponent but their rival shows up after the match, etc.

Oh wow yeah I think that’s what’s going on, I remember seeing something about rivalry on like all the matches it auto booked. Dumb and confusing.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Wrestling Empire's latest update made me soft chuckle

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003

Artelier posted:

Wrestling Empire's latest update made me soft chuckle

I think I caught a glimpse on a stream that he's also given Lance Monaco a terrible mustache.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Psychepath posted:

I think I caught a glimpse on a stream that he's also given Lance Monaco a terrible mustache.

We don't deserve MDickie

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
https://twitter.com/whatsthestatus/status/1648462838879633414?s=46&t=XvrQwNe2ohQa_fKBAbwFNg

This Twitter user posts a lot of hacked/modded content on community creations. The stardust thing is probably just the devs adding something for the modding community, but it could be an exclusive skin for MyFaction as well. There are also hidden models for Mia Yim and Candace Lerae added in the most recent patch.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Psychepath posted:

I thought he already had that, or did he swap the Ron Swanson-ish one for a Gomez Addams?

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

They make you do a 6 man tag ladder match in the story mode of www2k23 and it is the worst gaming experience I've had in a long while. I truly don't understand how something so buggy and unfun can be in a video game. Half the time you can't even pick up the ladder

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Items are very finicky, two of the objectives in the first showcase mode (which is Cena v. RVD) are about using a chair and a table and both times it's extremely "No, the chair, stop grabbing the ropes, dammit Rob."

(Speaking of which there are a LOT of objectives in each match. Like I remember 2k14's Wrestlemania mode having maybe four or five, here you get what feels like twelve. They do unlock stuff at least.)

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Tag and Multiman matches in 2K are borderline unplayable cause the AI is too good at breaking up pins/getting to the ladder/etc

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Drakkel posted:

Tag and Multiman matches in 2K are borderline unplayable cause the AI is too good at breaking up pins/getting to the ladder/etc

This has been a problem forever, even Day of Reckoning was annoying about this (story mode had you in so many tag matches.)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It feels like the teams behind these games are incapable of using IF statements in their AI logic. Like, the AI can only ALWAYS do a thing if it's possible, or NEVER do a thing, it can't do it sometimes.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I don’t think there’s ever been a wrestling game that has gotten multi person ladder matches right. They’re always so insanely frustrating.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi
So in 2k23, is MyFaction in any part single player/AI opponents? Or is it all PVP online stuff? Can’t do that for a couple reasons, so AI would be much better.

Edit: Oh, forgot to ask as well: Is it all button mashing for the mini game things like being pinned or submissions?

Antitonic fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Apr 20, 2023

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Antitonic posted:

So in 2k23, is MyFaction in any part single player/AI opponents? Or is it all PVP online stuff? Can’t do that for a couple reasons, so AI would be much better.

Edit: Oh, forgot to ask as well: Is it all button mashing for the mini game things like being pinned or submissions?

There’s single player towers which give you some rewards, not sure if it’s worthy.

With pins and submissions you have a choice of button mashing or timing based stuff.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi

Maxwell Lord posted:

There’s single player towers which give you some rewards, not sure if it’s worthy.

With pins and submissions you have a choice of button mashing or timing based stuff.

Probably worth taking a punt on. Certainly not spending any real money for fake money, but I kinda like the card system idea and working with what you get.

And that’s good about the choice of system. Button mashing is a super-shortcut to needing to recover from pain.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Speaking of NewLegacy Inc, look what has happened in my TEW game. K. Malik Shabazz Austin and the Snaketion of Domination is happening.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi

Testekill posted:

Speaking of NewLegacy Inc, look what has happened in my TEW game. K. Malik Shabazz Austin and the Snaketion of Domination is happening.

“WHERE MY SNAKES AT? HISS HISS HISS!”

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Testekill posted:

I appreciate this post.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Antitonic posted:

Probably worth taking a punt on. Certainly not spending any real money for fake money, but I kinda like the card system idea and working with what you get.

And that’s good about the choice of system. Button mashing is a super-shortcut to needing to recover from pain.

You can also select the mashing option but turn on an option to accept holding the button instead of mashing. I think it doesn’t work online but if you’re playing against CPU it works great and you never have to mash a button or lose a timing mini game to kick out.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Drakkel posted:

The key to tag matches is hitting the touchpad button (or equivalent button on non-PS) to take control of your partner and prevent the CPU/s from breaking stuff up. Like I’ll start a charged finisher as the legal man, then swap to my partner and run across the ring to knock the other guy off the apron.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Testekill posted:

LOL this is an insanely awesome stable

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

So one year into my TEW save that started in January 97.

WWF dropped in size from Big to Medium although they're still number 1 in the world, Shawn Michaels went on hiatus to pursue a career in politics pretty early on. The World title has bounced around a bit with 5 different holders over 97 and the baffling decision to have Vader drop the title to King Kong Bundy at Survivor Series who then held it until the Royal Rumble 98 where he dropped it to Ultimate Warrior. The Legion of Doom are in a stable with Sid and have held the tag titles three times including a one week reign where they beat Owen Hart & Ultimate Warrior for the titles before dropping them to Ultimate Warrior and Mankind.

The IC title went from HHH to start 97 to Savio Vega in April. He then dropped the title to Bryan Clarke who stunk it up for a few months before Marty Janetty randomly won it at Summerslam after spending most of the year either jobbing or unable to escape the preshow. He holds it for two months before Mr. Perfect wins the belt on a random episode of RAW who spends the next couple of months working six man tags or defending the title against Crush or Ahmed Johnson before Crush wins the belt the week before the Royal Rumble.

The European title was introduced in February. It went from Billy Gunn to Samu to Crush to Fake Diesel to Savio Vega to the Godfather before landing on Marty Janetty. It's also the only belt that any member of the Nation of Domination held before they disbanded.

Bret Hart won Wrestler of the Year, his triple threat with Sid and Steve Austin won MOTY and he main evented Wrestlemania 13 where he won the world title from Sid in an almost perfect match.

----------------

In WCW the title went from Hogan to Nash to Hogan to Luger. Benoit and Regal are both main event babyfaces and British Bulldog jumped ship in December so there's some changes at the top of the card, DDP has also turned heel. Hogan was kicked out of the NWO early on and has been feuding with Scott Hall since August 97 although they only just wrestled at Starrcade.
WCW titles haven't been that interesting outside of the Cruiserweight title which sat vacated for nearly 5 months after Ultimo Dragon signed with the WWF. The US title is currently held by DDP who beat Brad Armstrong for it who is currently sitting in prison for a year because he assaulted a cop.

-------------

My promotion is almost boring in comparison, I'm running a more modern and high flying product and have bought in a bunch of luchadors who are scattered throughout the roster. Juvie is my current world champ and my secondary champ is actually Shannon Moore who is part of a stable of idiotic frat boys called Six Minutes of Magic. I also have the ICP on colour commentary for shits and giggles.

edit: It looks like the Joshi scene is just going to loving die. AJW is 10 million in debt because they had a bunch of wrestlers on written contracts, GAEA is keeping their head above water after selling their dojo but they had to cancel a string of shows to stay solvent. LLPW and JWP Project are pretty significantly in the red at the moment as well, the only one doing well is Jd' Star and even then they have lost 300k in a year and are losing 20-25k a month.

FMW are bleeding money to the tune of 40k a month even during their most profitable months and went from having a million in the bank at the start of 97 to having 144k in January of 98.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Apr 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

I like the idea of a late 90's wwf where the new generation era never ended

Also the ultimate warrior getting multiple belts because vince